• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Of all the things I'd say about Paper Jam I wouldn't even call its art direction uninspired, it's the same gorgeous art-style they used in Dream Team. The enemy selections aren't the most diverse if that's what you mean but I really loved how different the paper and real enemies were, particularly when it comes to the boss fights and other such things (Paper Petey was so different from regular Petey, also Petey Piranha should be in more Mario things, I want to golf with real power again.)

Maybe I just don't get it, I agree NSMB as an art direction is getting old (I appreciate their Van Gogh painting level though that was kinda cool) but Paper Jam never struck me as that.

The only game I was disappointed in when it comes to spin-offs is Ultra Smash tbh, that game deserved to be good but they rushed the **** out of Camelot and it wasn't the Mario Golf World Tour of Mario Tennis games.
The entire game is literally the same as NSMB in how it's structured and the art assets are very similar to boot. Plains world, forest world, desert world, beach world, ice world, lava world, etc.

Other Mario RPGs may have had worlds that fit these tropes, but they DID something with the tropes and made them feel unique, not just "see this grassy mountain in the plains world? We will take the exact same asset and recolour it for the other worlds. Same with many other assets too!". Paper Jam took these location tropes to their literal extreme. I have seen tons of footage and screenshots and everything looks so samey throughout the game and I can't get an interest in exploring the world. I could actually see it being hard to get around since nothing is recognisable. It's more dull than an "all brown shooter game".

And while having a few paper enemies be different to their real counterparts is novel, they should have just used actual original enemies from Paper Mario, which would be far more interesting.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
You know what would be grate?

An HD remake of Mother 3 coming out on the NX at launch. Hopefully, this is why there wasn't any Mother 3 at E3.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Honestly, the things that they should have shown are:
>Dragon Quest 8
>Smash Amiibo
>Metroid Federation Force
>Mother 3 IF it is actually being localized.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is cool on one hand but also I just recently bought Paper Mario on VC.

D

Deleted member

I love watching people go crazy because of series I don't care about, it's fun to watch as everything burns and you're just sitting in the middle of the room with no idea of what's going on

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
You've seen all this footage but have you played the game? I own it, and I thought it was pretty damn good. You can have same-y backdrops and take it to all the extremes you want while still being entertaining to play and pretty enjoyable (The Koopa Kids having actual personalities was kind of neat, lo and behold they demand a paper appearance and it actually happens! Kinda cool), and the fanbase didn't hate the game (most liked it, and I don't think it's the best ever or anything but it's solid and a good ending to the 3DS M&L series, inevitably they're doing a New 3DS one or something.)

Like I can't help but feel like the press and media and other people influence too much nowadays. Whatever happened to just experiencing it? Whatevs, I'm not getting in a circular opinion debate, game wasn't really that bad or bad at all really to me, I thought Partners in Time was the low point for M&L. Snivelling, annoying children, for a whole game! It has not aged well.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
hi sorry been sick how are all of you
Going crazy over E3 in more ways than one.

You've seen all this footage but have you played the game? I own it, and I thought it was pretty damn good. You can have same-y backdrops and take it to all the extremes you want while still being entertaining to play and pretty enjoyable, and the fanbase didn't hate the game (most liked it, and I don't think it's the best ever or anything but it's solid and a good ending to the 3DS M&L series, inevitably they're doing a New 3DS one or something.)

Like I can't help but feel like the press and media and other people influence too much nowadays. Whatever happened to just experiencing it? Whatevs, I'm not getting in a circular opinion debate, game wasn't really that bad or bad at all really to me, I thought Partners in Time was the low point for M&L. Snivelling, annoying children, for a whole game! It has not aged well.
I don't need to play a game to see whether or not it looks like the world is interesting.

In an Adventure/RPG game, the world HAS to be interesting. If it isn't, why should I buy the game and explore it?

That's one of the fatal flaws of Paper Jam. You can tell me I should play it all you like and that I'm being unfair (though for the record, the gameplay is also meh and I have much better RPGs to play, both old, recent, and ones on Nintendo platforms), but a game's world HAS to draw you in before release if exploring it is a major focus. Paper Jam failed in that regard.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Is it bad that I'm expecting The Pokémon Company to release English info from the CoroCoro reveal despite the new content shown at E3?

I mean, that magazine is scheduled to officially come out this week and can't keep quiet forever.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I just realized something: We haven't heard a word about Federation Force at E3.

Sure, some don't want to hear about it, but it's still an upcoming Nintendo title.
LOL It really makes me wonder if they have more faith in Color Splash than that game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Welp... buying Megamix once I hit 100% on PR.
And that depends on if I win on this attempt of True Arena more than anything.

Edit: KO in Round 12.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Ahahahaha ohhhhh man.

Hurts doesn't it?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
LOOOOOOOOL.

:joyful:

Happy for all who wanted it.

edit: crap. I fell for it. I'm tired.

Last edited:

This is cool on one hand but also I just recently bought Paper Mario on VC.
Alright peaople you heard the Dragon Quest stream

Are we really goin to let the French outfo us

Time to start a revolution for Paper Mario.

Quick! Someone make a catchy hashtag so it can get spread like crazy!
Someone make a petition!

Viva la revolucion!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Someone make a petition!

Viva la revolucion!
#RecyclePaperMario

Dunno if that's good but I tried.

D

Deleted member

Ahahahaha ohhhhh man.

Hurts doesn't it?
If I hadn't noticed the term "Ninlendo", I would have checked the eShop in excitement only to be disappointed.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Sorry bro.
it's cool I don't care for the game.

Someone make a petition!

Viva la revolucion!
#MarioOnPaper

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Going crazy over E3 in more ways than one.

I don't need to play a game to see whether or not it looks like the world is interesting.

In an Adventure/RPG game, the world HAS to be interesting. If it isn't, why should I buy the game and explore it?

That's one of the fatal flaws of Paper Jam. You can tell me I should play it all you like and that I'm being unfair (though for the record, the gameplay is also meh and I have much better RPGs to play, both old, recent, and ones on Nintendo platforms), but a game's world HAS to draw you in before release if exploring it is a major focus. Paper Jam failed in that regard.
O...k? I guess the criteria is different between the two of us because I thought Paper Jam's gameplay was excellent and charming, and part of why Sticker Star's battle and action mechanics are just stuck in that underutilized limbo of "If this game had RPG mechanics the battle system would be above average!"

You could stand to sound less patronizing though, I genuinely do think people should play something (especially before they talk about the gameplay, that's bs. I don't talk about things gameplay-wise if I haven't played them, why do you think I even gave Fates a chance? I saw Pair Up and red flags were raised but they handled it well enough. I didn't smack it before or after it came out till I got it.) Same deal with Shovel Knight tbh, the game is amazing and I appreciate it now but I only really understood when I bought and played it, y'know? It's my peeve with the media these days because it removes that sense of discovery when it comes to a game, beyond like obvious trailer footage.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
TTYD is a bit overrated anyways.

As much as I love it, people won't shut up about it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
O...k? I guess the criteria is different between the two of us because I thought Paper Jam's gameplay was excellent and charming, and part of why Sticker Star's battle and action mechanics are just stuck in that underutilized limbo of "If this game had RPG mechanics the battle system would be above average!"

You could stand to sound less patronizing though, I genuinely do think people should play something (especially before they talk about the gameplay, that's bs. I don't talk about things gameplay-wise if I haven't played them, why do you think I even gave Fates a chance? I saw Pair Up and red flags were raised but they handled it well enough. I didn't smack it before or after it came out till I got it.) Same deal with Shovel Knight tbh, the game is amazing and I appreciate it now but I only really understood when I bought and played it, y'know? It's my peeve with the media these days because it removes that sense of discovery when it comes to a game, beyond like obvious trailer footage.
I'm a game design student (technically ex-student at the moment, but it's not like I've given up the craft). I can just tell certain things about games without actually playing them. I perfectly understand if you think that's bull, but it's just the way it is, and my "intuition" is usually right. It helps me decide purchases.

That, and in the case of Paper Jam, it really isn't a very complex game. The average consumer isn't going to have trouble sussing it out.

I agree that journalists skew things a lot, but I simply looked at raw gameplay.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

is

is this suppose to be making fun of what I think it is

....why.

TTYD is a bit overrated anyways.

As much as I love it, people won't shut up about it.
I am using every fiber of my being to keep myself under control with that ludicrous statement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom