• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
The only Mario game I've liked in years has been Mario Kart 8. Even the platformers have all been the same mediocrity since Galaxy 2.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
According to Ash Paulsen, the reason Paper Mario has moved from RPG elements is because they view Mario and Luigi as the Mario RPG series.
In that case why not make Paper Mario an Action RPG/Platformer hybrid like Super Paper Mario? That game was received well.

And that still doesn't excuse killing the story/characterisation. People would be way more fine with the games if they at least kept that.

Last edited:

Chrono.

The only Mario game I've liked in years has been Mario Kart 8. Even the platformers have all been the same mediocrity since Galaxy 2.
Now that's where I stop you.

3D World was the bees knees.
According to Ash Paulsen, the reason Paper Mario has moved from RPG elements is because they view Mario and Luigi as the Mario RPG series.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

A bit strange though, because I always thought Paper Mario was more popular than M&L (even if I do prefer the latter).

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I personally think Paper Jam really dropped the ball.

Both as an M&L game and in terms of missing the potential it's concept had.

Plus it was a buggy mess and it looks like using those bugs is how to get the most fun out of it.
I thought it was perfectly fine because I didn't set up unrealistic expectations. The trailers didn't lie to me, they didn't make it out to be more than what it was, people just speculated and overhyped **** and here we are. Seems commonplace in this fandom especially when it comes to Mario RPGs.

The gameplay and presentation were good enough for me to enjoy it and seeing the Koopalings actually have an in-game personality was pretty neat too tbh.

I wish this fanbase was better with coping with disappointment/disinterest tbh, we have like 30+ years of fantastic games we can replay and enjoy, no point in moping for more than like a day about a handful of ones that aren't in our realm of taste.

Maybe this is just me rambling but like, Mario spinoffs have been perfectly fine, certainly better than they were in the SNES days. Count how many edutainment games we've gotten (the answer is zero)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Everyone is saying Paper Jam is a buggy mess.

I've been playing that game like I have for the previous 4 installments and haven't experienced a single glitch. Am I missing something?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I thought it was perfectly fine because I didn't set up unrealistic expectations. The trailers didn't lie to me, they didn't make it out to be more than what it was, people just speculated and overhyped **** and here we are. Seems commonplace in this fandom especially when it comes to Mario RPGs.

The gameplay and presentation were good enough for me to enjoy it and seeing the Koopalings actually have an in-game personality was pretty neat too tbh.

I wish this fanbase was better with coping with disappointment/disinterest tbh, we have like 30+ years of fantastic games we can replay and enjoy, no point in moping for more than like a day about a handful of ones that aren't in our realm of taste.

Maybe this is just me rambling but like, Mario spinoffs have been perfectly fine, certainly better than they were in the SNES days. Count how many edutainment games we've gotten (the answer is zero)
I didn't overhype it though (I mean there is a reason why I haven't bought it).

I saw the reveal trailer and was like "...why are they even making this if they won't go all out?".

And people don't "mope", they criticise. If we don't do that, Nintendo will leave this industry because nobody is buying their stuff and nobody is telling them what they want from them.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Everyone is saying Paper Jam is a buggy mess.

I've been playing that game like I have for the previous 4 installments and haven't experienced a single glitch. Am I missing something?
You have to intentionally simulate out of bounds stuff with Trio Grab.

No different than doing out of bounds glitches in Paper Mario 1 and 2 but it's a problem here because Paper Jam isn't as beloved or nostalgic =V.

I never did either, I had no idea they existed until I was told how to do them!

Also nah, people mope like hell in this fandom lol. Maybe not in here or all the time but you have no idea, the negativity is astounding! It's really not hard to find, it's pretty common place. How many stupid "Nintendo is dead" things did we go through in the past how many years? It speaks mostly for itself tbh.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In that case why not make Paper Mario an Action RPG/Platformer hybrid like Super Paper Mario? That game was received well.

And that still doesn't excuse killing the story/characterisation. People would be way more fine with the games if they at least kept that.
Wasn't it received poorly initially too? At least compared to Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door.

Perhaps if they feel that Mario doesn't need two separate RPG spin off's and Super Paper Mario have been gaining more popularity, fans could probably request more Paper Mario games like Super Paper Mario?

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I like to think Rinkah's Canon class as Blacksmith because I like to imagine her Savage cloths with the really Bad*** Robe of hers, kind of like Balrog's in SFV.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wasn't it received poorly initially too? At least compared to Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door.

Perhaps if they feel that Mario doesn't need two separate RPG spin off's and Super Paper Mario have been gaining more popularity, fans could probably request more Paper Mario games like Super Paper Mario?
There was some disappointment regarding the gameplay from diehard fans but that was it.

It got good reviews and it is fondly remembered as one of the best stories Nintendo has ever told though, even by those diehard fans. Seriously, they did some insane stuff with that game's story.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah, SPM wasn't too well received by fans (not sure how critics liked it).

Which is bull**** because that game was genius.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

No different than doing out of bounds glitches in Paper Mario 1 and 2 but it's a problem here because Paper Jam isn't as beloved or nostalgic =V.

Ah.

The only glitch I can truly remember from the M&L series is from Partners in Time: In some places and situations, I was able to move pass basically any invisible walls when I do the Baby Drill.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Also nah, people mope like hell in this fandom lol. Maybe not in here or all the time but you have no idea, the negativity is astounding! It's really not hard to find, it's pretty common place. How many stupid "Nintendo is dead" things did we go through in the past how many years? It speaks mostly for itself tbh.
The Paper Jam stuff is not at all comparable to the stuff you can do in Paper Mario 64. Most of the stuff in 64 requires TAS or ninja reflexes, and meticulous knowledge of how the games work, and was discovered over the course of decades.

The Paper Jam stuff was discovered day one because Trio Grab is an inherently glitchy move. And don't act like people shouldn't experiment with it to find secrets in the game, because that's what led to glitches being discovered.

And on the contrary, most Nintendo fans are not mopey, they are way too accepting and will take anything Nintendo gives to them like a subservient maid in an anime protagonist's harem.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Rhythm Heaven Megamix is exactly the type of thing they should do to Mario Party. Take the best of the past games and put them together in one deluxe Mario Party game.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
So basically the Alien Minigame from Rhythm Heaven is about the Alien trolling the heck out of the humans of what he's/she's saying.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
And on the contrary, most Nintendo fans are not mopey, they are way to accepting and will take anything Nintendo gives to them like a subservient maid in an anime protagonist's harem.
Man where have YOU been? I've seen more of the opposite lol, and I've been just about everywhere!

I'm not going to call Paper Jam a masterpiece but rofl, I've played far glitchier games that have been received better for more arbitrary reasons. I never in my playtime glitched out with Trio Grab in standard gameplay, was I thinking too intuitively or something?

Also Paper Mario can literally softlock if you max out your stats LOL. That doesn't take a TAS at all. They re-released the game and never even fixed it either, you'd think with the chances they had with Virtual Console they would, but hey!

I still love Paper Mario FYI, though the pacing of the game hasn't aged well it's still a masterpiece, but it's not immune to incredibly stupid oversights that I consider far worse than clipping out of bounds. I've never played an RPG where maxing out is a punishment, certainly unique tho.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Man where have YOU been? I've seen more of the opposite lol, and I've been just about everywhere!

I'm not going to call Paper Jam a masterpiece but rofl, I've played far glitchier games that have been received better for more arbitrary reasons. I never in my playtime glitched out with Trio Grab in standard gameplay, was I thinking too intuitively or something?

Also Paper Mario can literally softlock if you max out your stats LOL. That doesn't take a TAS at all. They re-released the game and never even fixed it either, you'd think with the chances they had with Virtual Console they would, but hey!
All I'll say on the topic of the fanbase is that the "it's OK when Nintendo does it" meme exists for a reason (no seriously it actually came up as a Google suggestion, lol).

And I'm not saying Paper Jam's bugs are the only thing wrong with it either. I think it inherently missed the obvious potential it had by putting Paper Mario in the "real" world. And even if Paper Mario wasn't part of it, it was still very bland and uninspired with it's NSMB art direction and using the bare minimum of characters.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Another subject I had, is there any other character besides MK (And maybe KI) where there's a character having Mortal Kombat styled inputs (Which is pressing the buttons like some short of cheat code) in games like GG, and Street Fighter?

>Color Splash pretty much has the same mechanics as Sticker Star

This is why I didn't get my hopes up (what else is new?)

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
RHYTHM HEAVEN 3DS IS OUT NOW?????????????????????????????????????
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Of all the things I'd say about Paper Jam I wouldn't even call its art direction uninspired, it's the same gorgeous art-style they used in Dream Team. The enemy selections aren't the most diverse if that's what you mean but I really loved how different the paper and real enemies were, particularly when it comes to the boss fights and other such things (Paper Petey was so different from regular Petey, also Petey Piranha should be in more Mario things, I want to golf with real power again.)

Maybe I just don't get it, I agree NSMB as an art direction is getting old (I appreciate their Van Gogh painting level though that was kinda cool) but Paper Jam never struck me as that.

The only game I was disappointed in when it comes to spin-offs is Ultra Smash tbh, that game deserved to be good but they rushed the **** out of Camelot and it wasn't the Mario Golf World Tour of Mario Tennis games.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Rhythm Heaven out now?

*Checks eShop*

Damn, that's surprising and unexpected as hell! I'll get to it alongside Shantae: Risky's Revenge Wii U & BoxBoxBoy!.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Color Splash sounds like something to wait for reviews about.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I just realized something: We haven't heard a word about Federation Force at E3.

Sure, some don't want to hear about it, but it's still an upcoming Nintendo title.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I would get Rhythm Heaven if it was on the EU eShop and it wasn't overpriced. I don't think the price is worth it.
If it was around 15 then yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom