• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
inb4 another 'ultimate' version is released. Can we get work on Flash done already? As far as I know, that's the first (and probably only) DCEU movie NOT done by Snyder

my god this is too adorable
What kind of test audience did they use?

The entire point of Joker's character is to be sadistic.

This is just stupid in all honestly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What kind of test audience did they use?

The entire point of Joker's character is to be sadistic.

This is just stupid in all honestly.
Jared Leto has no clue what Joker is though. JL LITERALLY said that if you interviewed the Joker, he'd tortue you, chop off your nuts and forcefeed you those nuts. And that's if he liked you. That's not Joker.

D

Deleted member

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't take Goku or Shrek in Smash seriously after all the joke requests on Miiverse.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Honestly, Goku shouldn't be in Smash.

...As a character.

I am 100% on board with him being a Mii Costume (assuming Miis ever come back of course).
I honestly kinda like this idea.

After all, Mii's are supposed to be whoever you want. This would be a better way of incorporating non-video game IP's without having to actually make them playable.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Two Smash-related questions:
  1. How would you feel if a character that has never made a single appearance on a Nintendo system (not even minor cameo and spin-off appearances like Cloud) joined Smash?
  2. How would you feel if a non-video game character (Goku, Shrek, Mickey, etc.) joined Smash?
Me personally, for #1, I've come to accept that Smash is no longer just a celebration of Nintendo, but gaming in general (featuring primarily Nintendo characters), so I'm pretty much open to the concept, plus there are some characters who aren't on Nintendo systems that I'm genuinely interested in seeing in Smash. As for #2, I could list several characters that didn't originate from video games that I at least would be okay with in Smash, but you'd probably notice that most, if not all of them have had at least some history of appearing in video games. I'm not sure if I'd be able to tolerate characters that haven't appeared in a single video game.
Short answer for both. - "Eh. Cool."

Long answer.
  1. I've stopped comparing characters' worth for being in Smash. There are plenty of characters big and small who I think would enrich the game if they were added, but who is more "worthy" is basically anyone's guess that ultimately doesn't matter for the Smash's developers. It also really depends on the character - I'm obviously going to be partial to someone whose games I've enjoyed.
  2. Smash has already moved from being a celebration of Nintendo to a celebration of gaming in general. Such an addition will bring in more fans - purists are a tiny fraction of the fanbase, and monetarily, their absence will be quickly filled up by the new fans who would be attracted. I'm not opposed to the idea, although it wouldn't excite me much as I'm not into most of them, except Disney.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I honestly kinda like this idea.

After all, Mii's are supposed to be whoever you want. This would be a better way of incorporating non-video game IP's without having to actually make them playable.
Yeah, it's basically a compromise. The large Goku requests get acknowledged in a way that wouldn't really ruffle any feathers (unless you're THAT passionate about Goku getting in or not).
Jared Leto has no clue what Joker is though. JL LITERALLY said that if you interviewed the Joker, he'd tortue you, chop off your nuts and forcefeed you those nuts. And that's if he liked you. That's not Joker.
Leto's Joker is just basically trying to appeal to the edgy teen crowd.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
  1. How would you feel if a character that has never made a single appearance on a Nintendo system (not even minor cameo and spin-off appearances like Cloud) joined Smash?
  2. How would you feel if a non-video game character (Goku, Shrek, Mickey, etc.) joined Smash?
Me personally, for #1, I've come to accept that Smash is no longer just a celebration of Nintendo, but gaming in general (featuring primarily Nintendo characters), so I'm pretty much open to the concept, plus there are some characters who aren't on Nintendo systems that I'm genuinely interested in seeing in Smash. As for #2, I could list several characters that didn't originate from video games that I at least would be okay with in Smash, but you'd probably notice that most, if not all of them have had at least some history of appearing in video games. I'm not sure if I'd be able to tolerate characters that haven't appeared in a single video game.
1. Eh, if they have an interesting moveset, they'd be fine.
2. Remember that fan smash idea a few pages back? That roster had forth parties that were the most important to Nintendo, characters like Scrooge McDuck, Mickey Mouse and Popeye. Probably the most iconic forth party choices. They're the sort of characters I'd be fine with.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm on the fence.

On one hand, I don't think it should just be limited to Nintendo characters and everything else is going to completely ruin Smash Bros.

But, I also don't believe that anyone who is anyone should get into Smash Bros; Characters, Mii costumes or otherwise. It's still first and foremost a fighting game primarily about Nintendo IPs and I don't see any reason to break that.
If I wanted to play Goku in a fighting game, I'd play the J Stars series.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
inb4 another 'ultimate' version is released. Can we get work on Flash done already? As far as I know, that's the first (and probably only) DCEU movie NOT done by Snyder
Snyder had nothing to do with the Squad. It's all down to WB interfering.
Ayer had 6 weeks to make an entire script. I had 6 weeks to make the start of a script for my Film Coursework.
There's loads out there about how WB screwed with Suicide Squad. We aren't seeing Ayer's cut, we're seeing the pansy cut because "OMG Joker abused Harley!"

1. Largely depends on the character. If it's someone like Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Sly, Ratchet, Jak, Chosen Undead or the Heavy then yes I'm happy but if it were someone like a Destiny guardian then probably not because there's plenty of options I prefer.

2. Considering that even a Star Wars character would open the doors for the likes of Dragon Ball or Jojo characters I'm gonna say no, I wouldn't like that. Miis exist for that. *obligatory Optimus prime joke because one user was serious about Optimus prime getting in goes here*

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I wouldn't get too salty about a Non-Nintendo related character getting in but if they were a Sony/Xbox character then stay out and go to PSASBR or Killer Instinct.

As for FOURTH-PARTY characters, Mickey Mouse is the only exception. Goku feels like its pandering too hard and everything else is too meme related and stupid choices made by kids and stupid teens.

Although I only want Mickey of the next Smash game was Nintendo vs Disney

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ayer had 6 weeks to make an entire script. I had 6 weeks to make the start of a script for my Film Coursework.
There's loads out there about how WB screwed with Suicide Squad. We aren't seeing Ayer's cut, we're seeing the pansy cut because "OMG Joker abused Harley!"

1. Largely depends on the character. If it's someone like Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Sly, Ratchet, Jak, Chosen Undead or the Heavy then yes I'm happy but if it were someone like a Destiny guardian then probably not because there's plenty of options I prefer.

2. Considering that even a Star Wars character would open the doors for the likes of Dragon Ball or Jojo characters I'm gonna say no, I wouldn't like that. Miis exist for that. *obligatory Optimus prime joke because one user was serious about Optimus prime getting in goes here*
Snyder failed to make Batman VS Superman a success and went all "Batman didn't kill anyone, his gun's bullets did!" That alone should prove he doesn't know what he's doing

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Snyder failed to make Batman VS Superman a success and went all "Batman didn't kill anyone, his gun's bullets did!" That alone should prove he doesn't know what he's doing
Read again.
I'm aware Snyder ****ed up BvS but he had nothing to do with Suicide Squad.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

...As a character.

I am 100% on board with him being a Mii Costume (assuming Miis ever come back of course).
I was thinking on those sort of collaborations in Smash when it comes to non-video game properties.

Adding, say, an anime/cartoon/movie character might be excessive for Smash's premise, especially considering Sakurai is opposed to the idea of non-video game characters.

I do think stuff like outfits modeled after non-VG characters, either just for Miis or for the whole roster, would be interesting as a way to throw a bone to certain fans.

I think something like a Disney or Shounen Jump themed costume packs would appeal to certain groups within the Smash fandom. Licensing issues notwithstanding, naturally.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Now that I think about it, Disney and Shounen Jump kinda would fit into Smash in a sort of collaboration, considering both are very powerful brands in their respective mediums, in regards to being very iconic and well-known, having contributed to their mediums (Western animation and manga) during their inception in a similar way as Nintendo did.

Still think that adding characters from outside of video games would be a stretch, but stuff like costumes or spin-off collaborations similar to how Dynasty Warriors lends its gameplay to collaboration titles like Hyrule Warriors or the upcoming Berserk Musou would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I was thinking on those sort of collaborations in Smash when it comes to non-video game properties.

Adding, say, an anime/cartoon/movie character might be excessive for Smash's premise, especially considering Sakurai is opposed to the idea of non-video game characters.

I do think stuff like outfits modeled after non-VG characters, either just for Miis or for the whole roster, would be interesting as a way to throw a bone to certain fans.

I think something like a Disney or Shounen Jump themed costume packs would appeal to certain groups within the Smash fandom. Licensing issues notwithstanding, naturally.
This is actually the best option.

Hell you can do that for multiple video game franchises. Like team up with Disney to make Marvel/Star Wars costumes for the characters and go to Japan companies like Jump and even gaming companies like Capcom, Square and Sega for the same thing as well

Besides, alternate costumes are more fun than characters because all the unique and creative things you can do for the fighters

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

...As a character.

There quite literally IS a Goku costume though...even if it wasn't explicitly stated to be Goku's costume...It is very obviously based on Goku...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
There quite literally IS a Goku costume though...even if it wasn't explicitly stated to be Goku's costume...It is very obviously based on Goku...
About that....

You can probably say that but I doubt Capcom would reference that. Plus that orange Gi doesn't have to specifically mean a Dragon Ball reference

Ain't gonna argue this but just some food for thought

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
  1. If it was someone like Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet, then I would welcome it with open arms. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I would feel.
  2. I don't want non-video game characters period. Though if I did have to pick one, it would be Mickey Mouse.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
1. I'm open to the idea. I feel like most notable characters that aren't owned by Sony or Microsoft have at least had one appearance on Nintendo consoles. So, Kratos? Master Chief? Sackboy? Sure. I'm down.
2. Mickey Mouse would be awesome. Otherwise I'd rather not have any movie characters. Mickey Mouse is an exception due to his connection to Mario and vice versa.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That's the point though, you need someone to play that role well or it won't work, Jared may not be the best, but cutting a character for a reason like that is dumb. That's not the main problem though from what I can tell(Haven't seen it so I don't know)

but Joker is very hard to play, so unless you have a really good actor which has been hard to find in the past, then you should not bring in Joker right away. He takes time and effort to do right, same with any movie.

But this movie was rushed which seems to be part of it's problem. DC needs to not rush and take their time to focus on scripts and the developing of characters. They seem to be trying to outdo Marvel, but that can't be done in months, it takes years. Same way it took Marvel.

So basically DC needs to sit down and really think movies through before making them, get good directors, actors, and a plot go, and your movie will do fine.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's the point though, you need someone to play that role well or it won't work, Jared may not be the best, but cutting a character for a reason like that is dumb. That's not the main problem though from what I can tell(Haven't seen it so I don't know)

but Joker is very hard to play, so unless you have a really good actor which has been hard to find in the past, then you should not bring in Joker right away. He takes time and effort to do right, same with any movie.

But this movie was rushed which seems to be part of it's problem. DC needs to not rush and take their time to focus on scripts and the developing of characters. They seem to be trying to outdo Marvel, but that can't be done in months, it takes years. Same way it took Marvel.

So basically DC needs to sit down and really think movies through before making them, get good directors, actors, and a plot go, and your movie will do fine.
JL also sent used condoms to coworkers in an attempt to practice the Joker role, claiming it's method acting. Method acting is when you use your own personal experience in the role.
Sad thing is, DCEU as a whole is godawful and they'll most likely can it after another 3-4 movies. Somebody who's involved with the comics is working on Flash, his favourite character, so Flash might be the first good DCEU movie

D

Deleted member

As for a non-video game character joining Smash...

Nintendo systems did have some neat Star Wars games you know.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Suicide Squad was gonna suck the day they said they were gonna reshoot scenes for more comedy stuff because "lol Deadpool"

Also they didn't cast Angela Bassest as Amanda Waller

Atleast Wonderwoman will be a pretty decent movie.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Atleast Wonderwoman will be a pretty decent movie.
On one hand, Wonder Woman was something Zach Snyder did right in BvS
On the other hand, Zach Snyder tackling a DC movie
Part of me wants this to be good despite me not caring for WW, and the other part is VERY ****ing petty and wants Flash to be the first good one so it sticks out more

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Now that I think about it, Disney and Shounen Jump kinda would fit into Smash in a sort of collaboration, considering both are very powerful brands in their respective mediums, in regards to being very iconic and well-known, having contributed to their mediums (Western animation and manga) during their inception in a similar way as Nintendo did.

Still think that adding characters from outside of video games would be a stretch, but stuff like costumes or spin-off collaborations similar to how Dynasty Warriors lends its gameplay to collaboration titles like Hyrule Warriors or the upcoming Berserk Musou would be interesting to see.
Man now i want a Disney smash brothers featuring mickey,sora,Tony,and Luke

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
About that....

You can probably say that but I doubt Capcom would reference that. Plus that orange Gi doesn't have to specifically mean a Dragon Ball reference

Ain't gonna argue this but just some food for thought
I was referring to Mii costumes btw...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There should be a Smash Bros type of game for 4th party characters so people will finally stop making ridiculous requests to have these kinds of characters in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

There should be a Smash Bros type of game for 4th party characters so people will finally stop making ridiculous requests to have these kinds of characters in Smash Bros.
You mean like the other dozens of Smash clones that are nowhere even close in quality to the original?

Yeah, that'll stop ridiculous character requests. :rolleyes:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is it me or is One Piece is getting blacker by the second?

The living objects possessed by the souls Big Mom takes are called Homies and they go as far as dogpiling you in the Seducing Woods (though in Chopper's case).

There is no way in hell this isn't a coincidence.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Jump Super Stars came out as a Smash clone on the DS. People will never stop asking. Besides, would you rather have your favourite character appear in Super Smash Bros, or a knockoff? Would YOU rather have Andy in the next Smash, or in a Smash fangame that exclusively features character with 4 letters in their name?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No Smash-like fighter has the brand power of the original.

For example, just because Disney makes its own Smash fighter (that would be pretty awesome, btw), won't make people stop asking for Mickey Mouse in Smash. Instead I'm pretty sure they'll shift their demand that the franchises do a crossover now, and there will more takers for the idea now, as it's easier to visualise.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
God now I wanna make a Disney Smash roster. Maybe later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom