• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
You know, the fact that Kozaki designed the three team leaders made me think of this:

It honestly kind of fits.

It is possible, depending on the workload with updating the games and create other new levels and bosses, they could have the time to go back and finish those old stages if they wanted. So I could see those scrapped levels from the three games & Knuckles (aside from Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone for obvious reasons) get remade and put in either as bonuses or actual stages you progress though.
>MFW I picked Selena

Good job past me

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A new Nintendo Console is coming out that could be a return to the glory days of Nintendo, people are losing their **** over new Zelda and Sonic games, and Pokémon is once again a worldwide phenomenon.

Welcome to the 90's my friends.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't know about you guys, but my mind is still blown over the fact that the current Fire Emblem artist even designed the Pokemon GO original characters.

No matter why every girl (or even guy) is calling Professor Willow "daddy" all of a sudden.

Chrono.

...Is anybody else's area so Doduo infested?

These 2 headed freaks are everywhere here and now even a couple of Dodrios have started to show up.

D

Deleted member

At this point, talking about Metroid becomes as sensitive of a topic as the equality between men and women or between people of different ethnic groups...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Fullmetal Pokémon. How unexpected.

On Metroid, the problem people have with Federation Force isn't the game itself, but the timing of the announcement/release. It's a spin-off releasing several years after a main title, with no new main title in sight. Making matters worse is how the last game in the series was controversial and one which many fans still hold disdain for.

If they had announced a new, more traditional, Metroid title for the Wii U and/or NX alongside Federation Force, there wouldn't have been a problem. Ironic as it may be, Federation Force may have actually got praise for trying new things with the franchise, since the mainline series would be "secure".

Something along the lines of "Oh yeah, a new Metroid game, but hey we also have this fun little thing on the 3DS to expand on the Metroid lore".

No one complained about Metroid Prime Pinball back when it was released, because there had been plenty of mainline titles released recently and still in the works, so it was just received as a fun little spin-off rather than a bad omen for the series.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
http://www.strawpoll.me/10822142

New Straw Poll on Sm4sh's newcomers.
very late on this, had some big things to do within the last 24 hours

i voted for pacman, but here's my personal list on returning SSB4 characters for the next game:

Blue indicates that I'd be really sad to see 'em go

=SAFE IN MY EYES=
Shulk (Extremely popular in the Smash fandom, a unique fighter, and currently the sole representative of the Xenoblade series. Pretty much the only thing he has against him is the possible replacement by X's protagonist, but considering the original's popularity compared to its sequel [although admittedly X was released at a time where the general gaming consensus was shifted towards Sony], it's not likely to happen.)

Villager (Pretty much for the same reasons as Shulk, adding on the fact that Animal Crossing is a very popular series in its own right. Wouldn't mind if the City Folk look was relegated to an alternate costume with the New Leaf designs as the main costumes this time.)

Little Mac (Also a popular fighter in Smash, and it wouldn't make sense to remove a character who's all about fighting. That, and we'd lose Doc Louis. Everything is better with Doc Louis.)

Core third-parties [Mega Man, Pac-Man] (Not only would the exclusion of third-party characters in general be a step back for Smash Bros, both characters mentioned have very strong ties with Nintendo's history, with both characters cementing an important part with their NES titles. Really, the only character who has something against him is Mega Man with receiving some neglect from Capcom, but even then, Capcom would probably still be okay with another guest appearence in Smash.)

=HIGH CHANCE OF RETURNING=

Palutena (Ultimately, a big factor for her return is the decision whether custom moves are kept or removed. Otherwise, there's no real reason for a cut.)

Wii Fit Trainer (Again, there's no real reason to give the Trainer the axe [other than some controversy over their inclusion in the roster.])

Rosalina & Luma (The duo are very popular in the Smash fandom and the Mario fandom. The only real obstacle is concerns regarding the Mario series being over-represented. Otherwise, they're fine.)

Duck Hunt (Really like these two. My gut feeling of the fact that they're retro prevents these two from being on "Safe in my eyes," but that factor didn't stop ROB from returning for Smash 4, or Mr. Game & Watch to appear in all Smash games following Melee. Heck, the only reason Ice Climbers didn't make it into 4 was because the 3DS can't into processing. To help the hunting troupe's case, they've been officially stated to represent the various Nintendo accessories instead of directly representing the Famicom/NES.)

Corrin (For me, Corrin is a special case. Although I feel like they shouldn't have been in SSB4, they'll feel right at home for Smash 5. Pretty much the biggest factor is whether Fire Emblem Fates is still considered a recent game when Smash 5 goes into development. Otherwise, Corrin is a pretty unique and fun-looking character, and it'd be a shame to not have them in SSB5.)

=IFFY CHANCE OF RETURNING=

Greninja (Greninja's situation is essentially Corrin's, but magnified, as Sun & Moon can potentially be a coffin for the Ninja Pokémon. Although, it currently has the advantage of currently being the only main Water-type Pokémon in the roster (excluding Squirtle as part of the Pokémon Trainer). Even if Greninja is cut, I'd say a return as DLC is highly likely.)

Bowser Jr. (Similar to Greninja, Bowser Jr's situation is a magnified version of another character's, this time of Rosalina's. Much like her, Bowser Jr. has the problem of potentially bloating the Mario series's representation. A good chance at returning could happen if Dr. Mario is cut or relegated as an alt for Mario. Like with Greninja, a return through DLC isn't out of the question.)

Robin (Like with Corrin, a good factor in Robin's return involves the Fire Emblem series's current position at the time of Smash 5's development. On the other hand, since Robin's debut game (Fire Emblem Awakening) helped revitalize the Fire Emblem series, it's possible that they could become a mainstay.)

Secondary third-parties [Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta] (The fact that these characters were put in after the main game development was finished made them somewhat of an afterthought for Smash, and it's likely that they won't have high priority for the next game's third party lineup. Cloud in particular has a somewhat similar situation as Snake, as both are generally not recognized as having association with the Nintendo brand, and are usually more associated with PlayStation. I feel that these characters were added extras from the devteam's generosity, and as such I will not hold any grudge if these characters can't make it for Smash 5. However, DLC is a high probable for a return.)

=LIFE SUPPORT=

Lucina and Dark Pit (These two characters have probably drawn the most ire out of all the Smash 4 choices, and both were essentially made for a similar reason Melee got 6 clone characters: The devteam had free time to spare. When Smash 5 comes around, unless the devteam once again has free time, Lucina and Dark Pit can say goodbye to spots on the roster, as it's highly unlikely high priority will be put on them. However, as a way to make both crowds pleased, these two can be relegated to alts for Marth and Pit similarly how Alph is an alt for Olimar, so that they won't have to take roster priority, but the option to play as them is still there. In conclusion, if you really like these characters, pray.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Okay...

People are using the Sonic Mania trailer to take pot shots at Federation Force.

I... can't...
> people dislike a video game you like
> you can't even
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Too much circlejerk in this thread tbh

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
very late on this, had some big things to do within the last 24 hours

i voted for pacman, but here's my personal list on returning SSB4 characters for the next game:

Blue indicates that I'd be really sad to see 'em go

=SAFE IN MY EYES=
Shulk (Extremely popular in the Smash fandom, a unique fighter, and currently the sole representative of the Xenoblade series. Pretty much the only thing he has against him is the possible replacement by X's protagonist, but considering the original's popularity compared to its sequel [although admittedly X was released at a time where the general gaming consensus was shifted towards Sony], it's not likely to happen.)

Villager (Pretty much for the same reasons as Shulk, adding on the fact that Animal Crossing is a very popular series in its own right. Wouldn't mind if the City Folk look was relegated to an alternate costume with the New Leaf designs as the main costumes this time.)

Little Mac (Also a popular fighter in Smash, and it wouldn't make sense to remove a character who's all about fighting. That, and we'd lose Doc Louis. Everything is better with Doc Louis.)

Core third-parties [Mega Man, Pac-Man] (Not only would the exclusion of third-party characters in general be a step back for Smash Bros, both characters mentioned have very strong ties with Nintendo's history, with both characters cementing an important part with their NES titles. Really, the only character who has something against him is Mega Man with receiving some neglect from Capcom, but even then, Capcom would probably still be okay with another guest appearence in Smash.)

=HIGH CHANCE OF RETURNING=

Palutena (Ultimately, a big factor for her return is the decision whether custom moves are kept or removed. Otherwise, there's no real reason for a cut.)

Wii Fit Trainer (Again, there's no real reason to give the Trainer the axe [other than some controversy over their inclusion in the roster.])

Rosalina & Luma (The duo are very popular in the Smash fandom and the Mario fandom. The only real obstacle is concerns regarding the Mario series being over-represented. Otherwise, they're fine.)

Duck Hunt (Really like these two. My gut feeling of the fact that they're retro prevents these two from being on "Safe in my eyes," but that factor didn't stop ROB from returning for Smash 4, or Mr. Game & Watch to appear in all Smash games following Melee. Heck, the only reason Ice Climbers didn't make it into 4 was because the 3DS can't into processing. To help the hunting troupe's case, they've been officially stated to represent the various Nintendo accessories instead of directly representing the Famicom/NES.)

Corrin (For me, Corrin is a special case. Although I feel like they shouldn't have been in SSB4, they'll feel right at home for Smash 5. Pretty much the biggest factor is whether Fire Emblem Fates is still considered a recent game when Smash 5 goes into development. Otherwise, Corrin is a pretty unique and fun-looking character, and it'd be a shame to not have them in SSB5.)

=IFFY CHANCE OF RETURNING=

Greninja (Greninja's situation is essentially Corrin's, but magnified, as Sun & Moon can potentially be a coffin for the Ninja Pokémon. Although, it currently has the advantage of currently being the only main Water-type Pokémon in the roster (excluding Squirtle as part of the Pokémon Trainer). Even if Greninja is cut, I'd say a return as DLC is highly likely.)

Bowser Jr. (Similar to Greninja, Bowser Jr's situation is a magnified version of another character's, this time of Rosalina's. Much like her, Bowser Jr. has the problem of potentially bloating the Mario series's representation. A good chance at returning could happen if Dr. Mario is cut or relegated as an alt for Mario. Like with Greninja, a return through DLC isn't out of the question.)

Robin (Like with Corrin, a good factor in Robin's return involves the Fire Emblem series's current position at the time of Smash 5's development. On the other hand, since Robin's debut game (Fire Emblem Awakening) helped revitalize the Fire Emblem series, it's possible that they could become a mainstay.)

Secondary third-parties [Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta] (The fact that these characters were put in after the main game development was finished made them somewhat of an afterthought for Smash, and it's likely that they won't have high priority for the next game's third party lineup. Cloud in particular has a somewhat similar situation as Snake, as both are generally not recognized as having association with the Nintendo brand, and are usually more associated with PlayStation. I feel that these characters were added extras from the devteam's generosity, and as such I will not hold any grudge if these characters can't make it for Smash 5. However, DLC is a high probable for a return.)

=LIFE SUPPORT=

Lucina and Dark Pit (These two characters have probably drawn the most ire out of all the Smash 4 choices, and both were essentially made for a similar reason Melee got 6 clone characters: The devteam had free time to spare. When Smash 5 comes around, unless the devteam once again has free time, Lucina and Dark Pit can say goodbye to spots on the roster, as it's highly unlikely high priority will be put on them. However, as a way to make both crowds pleased, these two can be relegated to alts for Marth and Pit similarly how Alph is an alt for Olimar, so that they won't have to take roster priority, but the option to play as them is still there. In conclusion, if you really like these characters, pray.
Speaking of this: I wonder if the new Smash has already entered development. It's probable considering Sakurai said that his new game has already been decided and then the rumors that a Smash game would be on the NX as a launch title. Is it safe to say that we'll probably have a new Smash within the next 2-3 years?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
> people dislike a video game you like
> you can't even
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Too much circlejerk in this thread tbh
I have no interest in Federation Force and I think that's dumb.

There is absolutely no reason to bring up Federation Force in the comments section of a Sonic trailer or in a discussion of a Sonic game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Thing is, Sakamoto did a great job with Fusion and Zero Mission, heck Zero Mission is easily one of my favourite Metroid games out there, but give him full control, which he got for Other M, and he tries to turn the series into something else entirely...and that something else ended up being something that a lot of people were very unhappy about...
Oh, aye!
It's like this with a lot of things, unfortunately.
See what happened when they gave George Lucas complete control. There are so many examples...
Reason for this being is that egos can make people get ahead of themselves, and we need other creative minds around us to check us through criticism.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I have no interest in Federation Force and I think that's dumb.

There is absolutely no reason to bring up Federation Force in the comments section of a Sonic trailer or in a discussion of a Sonic game.
I agree, I've no interest and I think it's... silly. Dumb is too harsh of a word. (edit: lel no it's not, me, words harshness depends on the intent of their use.) Why?
At this point, talking about Metroid becomes as sensitive of a topic as the equality between men and women or between people of different ethnic groups...
Pretty much this. People are taking things way too seriously. Perhaps on both ends. It really shouldn't matter.

Edit: sorry double post ahh this isn't the disco room

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree, I've no interest and I think it's... silly. Dumb is too harsh of a word. Why?

Pretty much this. People are taking things way too seriously. Perhaps on both ends. It really shouldn't matter.
It's dumb because Sonic Mania has absolutely nothing to do with Federation Force.

It's dumb to go to a Sonic trailer or a topic about Sonic Mania and say how much you hate Federation Force because it's completely off-topic. It's like going to a baseball game and screaming about how much you hate hockey or something. There might be people who agree with you, but even they would get annoyed with you because they wanna enjoy their baseball game.

If you're in a Federation Force trailer or topic and you say "I think Nintendo should have done something like what SEGA did by having a Sonic Boom game, and then a Classic and Modern game, with Federation Force. They should have announced a traditional Metroid or Metroid Prime game to go with it" - then that's fine because it's constructive criticism and is in the appropriate place. It's not appropriate in a place about Sonic Mania, though.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It's dumb because Sonic Mania has absolutely nothing to do with Federation Force.

It's dumb to go to a Sonic trailer or a topic about Sonic Mania and say how much you hate Federation Force because it's completely off-topic. It's like going to a baseball game and screaming about how much you hate hockey or something. There might be people who agree with you, but even they would get annoyed with you because they wanna enjoy their baseball game.

If you're in a Federation Force trailer or topic and you say "I think Nintendo should have done something like what SEGA did by having a Sonic Boom game, and then a Classic and Modern game, with Federation Force. They should have announced a traditional Metroid or Metroid Prime game to go with it" - then that's fine because it's constructive criticism and is in the appropriate place. It's not appropriate in a place about Sonic Mania, though.
The analogy doesn't work because this is the internet, not a physical location. Besides, Swamp was the one who brought it here.
I'd argue that being off-topic only matters in places where there are explicit instructions to keep to a topic. In social threads or YouTube videos, for example, there is no such thing; people make the topics by bringing up whatever they want. If that, too, is dumb, then Swamp is dumb for having brought it up here.
You're setting arbitrary limitations based on your expectations. If you go through life like that.... Why can't one bring up another game that he sees connections between in one game's subject?
As an aside, people never consider destructive criticism, I think they should. After all, something needs to be brought down before something better can be built up in its place!
But, I'd re-iterate, the topics are of an unserious nature, like football teams. People taking these things seriously and pushing their agendas in them should not be taken so seriously, unless you're a designer and want to make your games better, or a community member which intends to influence the developers positively, knows it can be done, and develops a proper criticism of the criticism. Hating on the haters isn't going to affect things positively, it'll only engender more hatred. Is only video games, why people heff to be mad?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The analogy doesn't work because this is the internet, not a physical location. Besides, Swamp was the one who brought it here.
I'd argue that being off-topic only matters in places where there are explicit instructions to keep to a topic. In social threads or YouTube videos, for example, there is no such thing; people make the topics by bringing up whatever they want. If that, too, is dumb, then Swamp is dumb for having brought it up here.
You're setting arbitrary limitations based on your expectations. If you go through life like that.... Why can't one bring up another game that he sees connections between in one game's subject?
As an aside, people never consider destructive criticism, I think they should. After all, something needs to be brought down before something better can be built up in its place!
But, I'd re-iterate, the topics are of an unserious nature, like football teams. People taking these things seriously and pushing their agendas in them should not be taken so seriously, unless you're a designer and want to make your games better, or a community member which intends to influence the developers positively, knows it can be done, and develops a proper criticism of the criticism. Hating on the haters isn't going to affect things positively, it'll only engender more hatred. Is only video games, why people heff to be mad?
Here we go again with the "over-complicating everything because I'm a pseudo-intellectual who has to turn everything into some nonsensical deconstruction of a person's life practices and psyche as if I know this person". I don't know why I even bothered.

All I'm going to say is that the analogy absolutely works. You bring up your hate for something in a place completely unrelated and people will get annoyed about it, regardless of it being IRL or online. It's obnoxious and it ruins the positive vibes people had for a completely different thing. Case in point, Swamp went to a Sonic Mania trailer or something and was just looking to get hyped about the game, but then some eejit decides to use the game to take pot shots at Federation Force, another game he happens to like. Context is everything, and a Sonic Mania trailer is not a good context to bring up one's hatred for Federation Force.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not all rules have to be explicitly stated, you know. There are a lot of unspoken rules that people follow naturally so that things can go on smoothly.

Swamp's complaint is legitimate. It's a Sonic video, and ranting about Fed Force there serves no one, not even the poster, as no one involved with Fed Force is going to check there (if they even bother to go through YouTube comments, that is.) All it does is annoy people.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Sweet! Finally a reason to actually explore again
I'm liking Trackers idea for what the Special Zone could be, a better version of the Chaotix Special Stages would be cool and I agree the half pipe Special Stages are overused. Heck we could even get a mix of ideas from different Special Zones, could be neat.

MainJPW

M.T.A
If we get another ****ing halfpipe I will scream
Had a thought, since Stealth was also working on Sonic Megamix ( before it was cancelled again...) he could even help bring over some ideas from the Special Stage in that game.

The play style here is interesting; It's sorta like a mix between Sonic CD and Chaotix's Special Zones ( and the background is really nice ).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can I just say...

I have never been more frustrated with a person's bad play in a video game than I have been watching Elliot play Huniepop. And that's saying something considering Egoraptor exists.

Like it'd be one thing if he hadn't played the game before, but he claims to have beaten it 100%, twice.

But it's a simple Match-3 puzzle game and he keeps missing the most obvious things.

Like I should be paying more attention to the waifus and boobs but half of the time I'm just like:

"THIS GIRL LIKE THE ORANGE ONES. WHY DO YOU KEEP GIVING HER THE GREEN ONES? THERE IS A ROW OF ORANGE ONES JUST WAITING TO BE LINED UP IN ONE MOVE AND YOU'RE NOT DOING IT AAAAAARGH!!!" :p

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can I just say...

I have never been more frustrated with a person's bad play in a video game than I have been watching Elliot play Huniepop. And that's saying something considering Egoraptor exists.

Like it'd be one thing if he hadn't played the game before, but he claims to have beaten it 100%, twice.

But it's a simple Match-3 puzzle game and he keeps missing the most obvious things.

Like I should be paying more attention to the waifus and boobs but half of the time I'm just like:

"THIS GIRL LIKE THE ORANGE ONES. WHY DO YOU KEEP GIVING HER THE GREEN ONES? THERE IS A ROW OF ORANGE ONES JUST WAITING TO BE LINED UP IN ONE MOVE AND YOU'RE NOT DOING IT AAAAAARGH!!!" :p
Wait till they finish the recording session and find out Elliot's pissing everyone in the comments off for not upgrading his ****

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
How on earth is destructive criticism helpful?

Criticism serves a purpose of providing something to learn from, to grow from. A key piece of information the people being criticized can use to improve. When you remove that purpose, it's nothing more than several hundred people frothing at the mouth mocking something because they need something to hate.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that Federation Force already HAS been brought down. Countless THOUSANDS of times. At this point it hasn't merely been destroyed, the ground around it has been marred to the point you would need to import an entire mountain worth of soil and bedrock in order to build anything in it's place ever again. It's beating a dead horse, and unless someone brings up a point other than "It's not the Metroid I wanted!" then it's STILL beating a dead horse. I don't care WHERE it was brought up, although as a Sonic fan I know all too well how painful it is to have incessant hatred of what you like chase you down no matter where you go. And as FalKoopa said, no one's going to check on another company's video for information on how to improve Federation Force.

And I'm mad because it's human nature to have emotional reactions to certain chains of words. When you see something you like insulted and mocked over and over and OVER again, then unless you're fairly thick skinned you're going to get irritated and depressed.

Would I like to take that step and properly criticize criticisms for the sake of any wandering developers? Absolutely! But there's not much to work with when the average criticism is basically an incredibly salty whine of "I don't like this!" with no substance whatsoever.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So Verizon owns Yahoo now, which also means they own tumblr.

And apparently things aren't looking good for it since tumblr hemorrhaged a huge amount of money from Yahoo and they have a reputation for shutting down fandom-circles unexpectedly.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I have my NNID tied to both my Wii U and 3DS I'm not sure how you would go about changing it after you already entered an NNID.
Speaking of this: I wonder if the new Smash has already entered development. It's probable considering Sakurai said that his new game has already been decided and then the rumors that a Smash game would be on the NX as a launch title. Is it safe to say that we'll probably have a new Smash within the next 2-3 years?
I took Sakurai saying he has a new project to mean that he's working on a new game that's not Smash Bros though it would be really cool if a new Smash Bros game was currently in development.

Would much rather have a new Smash Bros game that comes out in 2018-2019 than having a port that's essentially Smash Wii U plus a few characters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think we are getting "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo NX" (or whatever the real name is for the system), as an expanded port of Smash Wii U/3DS.

However, I do not think it will be Sakurai's big new project, and I think he will play an advisory role and nothing more in the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom