• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I can't wait for this tomorrow:

Hopefully I can find one tomorrow.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think we are getting "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo NX" (or whatever the real name is for the system), as an expanded port of Smash Wii U/3DS.

However, I do not think it will be Sakurai's big new project, and I think he will play an advisory role and nothing more in the port.
I agree that the project in question isn't Smash NX though I don't think the Smash Wii U port on the NX will be the only Smash Bros game on the console. If the port in question is launching alongside the release of the NX then it's safe to say that a fully feledged new Smash Bros game would come out 3-4 years after the NX's launch.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree that the project in question isn't Smash NX though I don't think the Smash Wii U port on the NX will be the only Smash Bros game on the console. If the port in question is launching alongside the release of the NX then it's safe to say that a fully feledged new Smash Bros game would come out 3-4 years after the NX's launch.
I didn't mean it would be the only Smash game on the console. Just a port to help strengthen the NX launch window line-up.

Sorta like how we got Twilight Princess ported to the Wii but we still got Skyward Sword later on.

I just imagine this port will be called "Super Smash Bros. for *insert name here*" to fit in with the name theme of the other two versions.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I have a question.
I'm playing Pokemon HeartGold right now, and I have a question: does anyone know where I can get a Heart Scale?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hey, I have a question.
I'm playing Pokemon HeartGold right now, and I have a question: does anyone know where I can get a Heart Scale?
I believe you can only get them post game from luvdisc, I could be wrong though.

Pokeathalon might have them to.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hey, I have a question.
Use Rock Smash they are hard to find but they're in the rocks...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I didn't mean it would be the only Smash game on the console. Just a port to help strengthen the NX launch window line-up.

Sorta like how we got Twilight Princess ported to the Wii but we still got Skyward Sword later on.

I just imagine this port will be called "Super Smash Bros. for *insert name here*" to fit in with the name theme of the other two versions.
Oh my bad lol. I misread your post to read that it would be the only Smash Bros game.

Come to think of it making a Smash Bros game for the NX using Smash Wii U as a base would be a good way to keep all the characters in while adding a bunch of new ones in addition to stages and modes. Obviously it wouldn't be a launch title but I would be totally down for something like that.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh my bad lol. I misread your post to read that it would be the only Smash Bros game.

Come to think of it making a Smash Bros game for the NX using Smash Wii U as a base would be a good way to keep all the characters in while adding a bunch of new ones in addition to stages and modes. Obviously it wouldn't be a launch title but I would be totally down for something like that.
That's basically what a lot of people are hoping for with this theoretical port...something like Hyrule Warriors Legends that includes all or most of the current content including DLC with new additional content...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I had the idea this morning that Nintendo may choose to use cartridges for the NX because a there may be a handheld that goes with it...

Imagine buying a game in stores, and being able to play it at home on the big screen, or simply removing the cartridge and playing the same game on the go while commuting/traveling, at a friends, whatever.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I had the idea this morning that Nintendo may choose to use cartridges for the NX because a there may be a handheld that goes with it...

Imagine buying a game in stores, and being able to play it at home on the big screen, or simply removing the cartridge and playing the same game on the go while commuting/traveling, at a friends, whatever.
I just hope it'll be like the 3DS cartridges because I don't want to have to blow the cartridge to make it work lol.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Basically a much better version of PlayStation's remote play and the Windows 10/Xbox Anywhere thing Microsoft have from the sound of it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Wouldn't it be easier to simply have something like a Super Game Boy? They could design it from outset with being playable on both in mind to keep costs low.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think we are getting "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo NX" (or whatever the real name is for the system), as an expanded port of Smash Wii U/3DS.

However, I do not think it will be Sakurai's big new project, and I think he will play an advisory role and nothing more in the port.
Well they can't just port it straight, anyway. At least not from the Wii U version that they'd probably prefer to use. BotW was standardized between Wii U and NX by removing touch controls. Without a touch screen controller, Stage Builder is either getting revamped or removed, as will the screenshot doodling function.

I don't think Smash NX is going to be what everyone expects it to be, at least not entirely. They might recycle the engine and character code, but with one likely change already it's possible that more things are going to be messed with than people expect.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

There actually has been evidence to support this being the case. Something to do with Breath of the Wild having an official document stating that it was getting cartridges of the game produced. I can't recall the full details of this though, but I think it's likely to be the reality.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1252428

Anyone know of a better deal than this?

Bravely Second and all 3 version of Fates are "Must-buys" for me so I would like to take this chance if I can if nothing cheaper exists.

Also, related, is it better to play either of the two versions first? Conquest I know i'm going to enjoy more from a gameplay perspective, but i'm wondering if one story is told better if you've seen the other one first.
:061:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I had a similar experience with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U and 3DS.

The system transfer in that game was really neat. I could hunt monsters on the go or in glorious HD.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well they can't just port it straight, anyway. At least not from the Wii U version that they'd probably prefer to use. BotW was standardized between Wii U and NX by removing touch controls. Without a touch screen controller, Stage Builder is either getting revamped or removed, as will the screenshot doodling function.

I don't think Smash NX is going to be what everyone expects it to be, at least not entirely. They might recycle the engine and character code, but with one likely change already it's possible that more things are going to be messed with than people expect.
I don't think it's ever been said by Nintendo that the NX won't have touch controls so I don't know where this theory is coming from. It could even be compatible with the Wii U GamePad, for all we know, which is likely since Nintendo loves controller backwards compatibility.

In either case, I don't think Stage Builder is a big enough deal to say "the port won't be what we expect". They could revamp it or remove it, and put another cool mode in it's place. Because Stage Builder is pretty bad in Smash Wii U.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Bravely Second and all 3 version of Fates are "Must-buys" for me so I would like to take this chance if I can if nothing cheaper exists.

Also, related, is it better to play either of the two versions first? Conquest I know i'm going to enjoy more from a gameplay perspective, but i'm wondering if one story is told better if you've seen the other one first.
I can only suggest what I did:

Get both main routes, and just choose based on which you feel is the best route. The story has much more weight when you aren't locked to your first path. I'd put the story that way on a level with Bravely Default (without you-know-what), with multiple genuinely sympathetic/heartfelt moments in both paths.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

General consensus is that Birthright has the best told story because it's fairly straight forward, if unambitious. Plus it's supposedly the easiest game according to Nintendo (though @LIQUID12A once told me he thinks Revelation is actually easier).

I don't think playing Birthright or Conquest first matters from a story perspective, but you do need to play both to understand everything.

Personally, I'm not playing Fire Emblem: Fates for the actual story because it is by no means a masterpiece. It's more about the gameplay and the character interactions than the actual core storyline.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
From my experiences, Revelation is easier.

Every character + every weapon, item, class + grinding. I have an Orochi with godlike magic just because I could grind and use some of the better Nohrian tomes.

Chrono.

So this happened.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Also now I'm just remembering Capcom initially said this costume would factor into SFV's story... Something which obviously didn't happen.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Had a thought, since Stealth was also working on Sonic Megamix ( before it was cancelled again...) he could even help bring over some ideas from the Special Stage in that game.

The play style here is interesting; It's sorta like a mix between Sonic CD and Chaotix's Special Zones ( and the background is really nice ).
These actually look really cool, I hope they could bring this over to Sonic Mania.
I want it to be real.

You mean "I want it to be reel" ;)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
TFW you find a wild Squirtle, use a berry, use a Great Ball, get a Nice throw...it still breaks out and runs away immediately :(

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

As mentioned before, Birthright has the better story of the three since it's very typical "FE" in its storytelling, it just lacks some notable elements to them like worldbuilding. Conquest's story is a mess because it has a lot of idiot ball moments and plot contrivances, and Revelation's is not too much better if I'm to be honest.

Gameplay-wise, Conquest is definitely a great game, and since you enjoyed some of the other games like FE6, you'd probably be right at home in it. Birthright has also made some nice improvements from Awakening from what I've heard, so if you feel like trying it out, you can give it a shot. Revelation I personally don't recommend as I feel it's pretty tedious and messy from a gameplay standpoint, but if you want all of the characters, then that is an option to get.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't think it's ever been said by Nintendo that the NX won't have touch controls so I don't know where this theory is coming from. It could even be compatible with the Wii U GamePad, for all we know, which is likely since Nintendo loves controller backwards compatibility.

In either case, I don't think Stage Builder is a big enough deal to say "the port won't be what we expect". They could revamp it or remove it, and put another cool mode in it's place. Because Stage Builder is pretty bad in Smash Wii U.
There's one little line in this interview that seems. . .suspect.

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/zelda-breath-wild-aonuma-demo

“I’m not going to create something where the users are going to have a different experience,”

Now granted, the previous paragraph is talking about the Gamepad not being used because it's not fun, but why would he say that? It's at least a bit curious.

But there's more than just touch controls to wonder about. All-Star Mode is already about filled up with trophies on that background rack by the time you get to the final section. What if they decide to go for more? How many more characters can they add to that rack before it runs out of room entirely? How many more characters can they add before certain challenges become too difficult? What if they want to up the graphics to show off the power of the NX?

I don't really consider Smash Wii U and 3DS to be "ports" of each other despite sharing a lot of content. A "port" is what I consider to be a game essentially unchanged except for some new items or characters. Even if Smash NX is similar, I think at minimum it will find enough ways to distinguish itself that it will distinctly be it's own version.

Now, if I were in charge of Nintendo. . .I'd have a trailer for an entirely new game up when I announced the NX and have the hype train chug itself along for a while while the game was worked on. But of course I'm not in charge of the company, so I can't exactly have any input on that.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Found this last night. I'm a big fan of David Suchet, so I'm glad to see him in this new role.

upload_2016-7-25_13-2-16.png

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's one little line in this interview that seems. . .suspect.

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/zelda-breath-wild-aonuma-demo

“I’m not going to create something where the users are going to have a different experience,”

Now granted, the previous paragraph is talking about the Gamepad not being used because it's not fun, but why would he say that? It's at least a bit curious.

But there's more than just touch controls to wonder about. All-Star Mode is already about filled up with trophies on that background rack by the time you get to the final section. What if they decide to go for more? How many more characters can they add to that rack before it runs out of room entirely? How many more characters can they add before certain challenges become too difficult? What if they want to up the graphics to show off the power of the NX?

I don't really consider Smash Wii U and 3DS to be "ports" of each other despite sharing a lot of content. A "port" is what I consider to be a game essentially unchanged except for some new items or characters. Even if Smash NX is similar, I think at minimum it will find enough ways to distinguish itself that it will distinctly be it's own version.

Now, if I were in charge of Nintendo. . .I'd have a trailer for an entirely new game up when I announced the NX and have the hype train chug itself along for a while while the game was worked on. But of course I'm not in charge of the company, so I can't exactly have any input on that.
He's not going to create something where users will have a different experience, yeah. Which could just as easily mean the NX version still has touch controls (the Wii U one does have a map on the GamePad and stuff).

And I think you're over thinking the All-Star mode thing. For one, more content doesn't mean more characters (that's actually the last thing I want, personally). And even if they add more characters, they can just make the background bigger for the trophies. Or, since Smash Wii U and 3DS had a different design for the All-Star Rest Room, we could possibly see the same in an NX version.

Yes, 3DS and Wii U are not literal ports of each other, but NX will most likely be a port of Wii U with content from the 3DS version. Because it cuts development time and they are working on more powerful hardware, so they can just take the old stuff and improve the lighting or textures or whatever. They need good games on the NX around it's launch and a port of one of the most popular Wii U games with some improved features and extra content is a perfect thing to include in the console's launch line-up.

Sounds like it doesn't really matter which one I get if i'm getting both. Cool

I'm off on thursday and that is when it is predicted to arrive so hopefully it will show up early so I can play a lot.

Completely unrelated, I learnd something i'm not happy about. I learned a pokemon whose gimmick I really love has only had one appearance in the series outside of post game play. And it's never been wild in normal gameplay either.
:236:

Why the hell is a pokemon as awesome as Tyrogue only available in Johto as a giveaway? The thing evolves into 3 awesome pokemon and thus has a lot of adaptability and we barely get to use the little guy. :/

Shame.

D

Deleted member

Birthright's story is decent and it's written with you playing it first in mind, Conquest assumes you played BR already but not even that saves its awful writing, Revelation is a fanfic for $20
Also, in terms of gameplay, BR may be tire you
Because you have 22 chapters in that route and 95% of it is rout the enemy. And there are reinforcements, lots and lots of it

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Birthright's story is decent and it's written with you playing it first in mind, Conquest assumes you played BR already but not even that saves its awful writing, Revelation is a fanfic for $20
Also, in terms of gameplay, BR may be tire you
Because you have 22 chapters in that route and 95% of it is rout the enemy. And there are reinforcements, lots and lots of it
You seem to really dislike Conquest/Conquest's Story. Care to explain why?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
He's not going to create something where users will have a different experience, yeah. Which could just as easily mean the NX version still has touch controls (the Wii U one does have a map on the GamePad and stuff).

And I think you're over thinking the All-Star mode thing. For one, more content doesn't mean more characters (that's actually the last thing I want, personally). And even if they add more characters, they can just make the background bigger for the trophies. Or, since Smash Wii U and 3DS had a different design for the All-Star Rest Room, we could possibly see the same in an NX version.

Yes, 3DS and Wii U are not literal ports of each other, but NX will most likely be a port of Wii U with content from the 3DS version. Because it cuts development time and they are working on more powerful hardware, so they can just take the old stuff and improve the lighting or textures or whatever. They need good games on the NX around it's launch and a port of one of the most popular Wii U games with some improved features and extra content is a perfect thing to include in the console's launch line-up.
I just. . .the idea doesn't really click with me.

It doesn't help the port situation's validity that the most popular leaks/assumptions rely on Splatoon and Mario Maker also getting ported and if the NX ever ended up not having primary touch controls then those games would be FAR more badly messed up.

It's just always been some huge unanimous assumption that Smash 4 is -going- to be ported to NX, no ifs, ands, or buts. Something feels off about it.

I think the good games at NX launch are going to be original titles. Animal Crossing likely, Kirby maybe, probably a couple of other things considering the immense Wii U drought. I can't say they definitely won't go port, but I don't think they'll mess themselves over badly enough that ports for launch will be an absolute requirement like everyone seems to assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom