• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
It seems like regional DLC is the newest fad in fake leaks.
I like how there's fads in faking leaks. They can't get anymore transparent at this point. They might as well tell everyone "ps this is fake" at the end of their posts. :laugh:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I like how there's fads in faking leaks. They can't get anymore transparent at this point. They might as well tell everyone "ps this is fake" at the end of their posts. :laugh:
Remember when every leak said we'd have playable bosses using the Gamepad? Or when they all said we'd get exclusive characters on the Wii U that would be DLC on 3DS even though we were told in an interview directly after E3 2013's reveal trailer that the roster would be the same on both versions?

Not to mention all the flavor-of-the-month characters that would pop up in pretty much every leak and then vanish.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Remember when every leak said we'd have playable bosses using the Gamepad? Or when they all said we'd get exclusive characters on the Wii U that would be DLC on 3DS even though we were told in an interview directly after E3 2013's reveal trailer that the roster would be the same on both versions?
Ridley just being a boss is still better to me than any of those Boss Battle leaks lol. That mode would of made me so salty

Though I suppose now a days I'd be fine with the mode after so much time.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I laugh at the "leakers" that say we'll get Wii-U exclusive characters. I facepalm and move on with life.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm currently waiting to see if the Shovel Knight Amiibo .bin file has been leaked. It'll hopefully help me confirm a theory I have...

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I laugh at the "leakers" that say we'll get Wii-U exclusive characters. I facepalm and move on with life.
Well, nobody really says it anymore. That theory went down in flames alongside Tower of Smash after the 50 Facts Nintendo Direct.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Which is strange based off of the many warnings. . . I believe the guilty party is the smash 4 social tainting us with their invasion

I'm joking we were dirty memers beforehand
Its the lack of news, we have nothing to talk about, also why hasn't Etika talked about the leak yet:awesome:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
It seems like regional DLC is the newest fad in fake leaks.
Also with this fade, I can't wait to see the many fails of people trying to predict the character chosen to cover Europe, since it seems most of the leaks are made by Americans, and them completely failing to pick a character that appeals to most of Europe.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Also with this fade, I can't wait to see the many fails of people trying to predict the character chosen to cover Europe, since it seems most of the leaks are made by Americans, and then completely failing to pick a character that appeals to all of Europe.
Maybe Professor Layton. aren't Level-5 games suppose to be really popular in Europe so something?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Also with this fade, I can't wait to see the many fails of people trying to predict the character chosen to cover Europe, since it seems most of the leaks are made by Americans, and then completely failing to pick a character that appeals to all of Europe.
Seems like they randomly pick a character that's somewhat popular in America as the Europe pick for that little whiff of authenticity.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Europe?

There's a good chance people won't be able to guess Japan's favorites, either. The fact that so many people act like Shantae is a frontrunner even though her support is entirely in America and Europe is indicative of that.

In all honesty, I think using a random character who's popular in America as Europe's pick would be more accurate. The differences between America and Japan tend to be far greater than the difference between America and Europe. At least in the English-speaking regions....

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If we were still a private group I'd say we gather our talents and make some sort of convincing leak (not big enough to disappoint anyone for example) and make it spread until everyone takes it as truth.

That way we can catch a fake leak when it mentions it. I proposed this last year but I got **** for it cuz me and @ Neo Zero Neo Zero were considered "leakers" so even if we were to suggest it suddenly people wouldn't believe us.

But we're not private anymore, so it can't really be done.

It wouldn't be a character or anything, just something people would fall for.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Europe?

There's a good chance people won't be able to guess Japan's favorites, either. The fact that so many people act like Shantae is a frontrunner even though her support is entirely in America and Europe is indicative of that.

In all honesty, I think using a random character who's popular in America as Europe's pick would be more accurate. The differences between America and Japan tend to be far greater than the difference between America and Europe. At least in the English-speaking regions....
I wonder if there's a big Smash fan-base in the rest of Asia. And with the exorbitant import tax I'm not sure how it would be in Brazil. I wanna be educated on international Smash!

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Europe?

but.....but shantae has japanese fanart so that obviously means she has a considerable japanese following because uh

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If we were still a private group I'd say we gather our talents and make some sort of convincing leak (not big enough to disappoint anyone for example) and make it spread until everyone takes it as truth.

That way we can catch a fake leak when it mentions it. I proposed this last year but I got **** for it cuz me and @ Neo Zero Neo Zero were considered "leakers" so even if we were to suggest it suddenly people wouldn't believe us.

But we're not private anymore, so it can't really be done.

It wouldn't be a character or anything, just something people would fall for.
We could set up a PM.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Europe?

People who think Shantae is at all relevant or has somewhat of a chance need to be treated like people who support Daisy.

Stop. Please.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm currently waiting to see if the Shovel Knight Amiibo .bin file has been leaked. It'll hopefully help me confirm a theory I have...
I'm waiting for that too!

Anyway if you have to choose a third party rep for each region who would you choose?

America - Shovel Knight
Europe - Professor Layton
Japan - Cloud...maybe Arle Nadja

I think the reason that these leaks are going with a regional Dlc is because they are trying to bandwagon on Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight becomes more plausible to be in Smash if Sakurai thought of a representative from each region. This is because SK is unknown in Japan. Even though Layton isn't made by a European team (Rayman would be the better choice), I included him because I think Layton has more popularity in Japan.

This theme for choices wouldn't be unheard of and it's a real possibility. There was a theme with the last set of DLC. The fan favorite from Melee, Brawl and 3rd party newcomer.

Since the ballot is open to the world for the first time maybe they are picking a representative for each region.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I will say this, though: one thing I did like about that leak was the use of Dixie Kong over K. Rool. I think it adds a touch of realism.

A big problem with leaks is that some of them tend to read more like wishlists than things that could realistically happen. Miahstorm and Tower of Smash are perfect examples of that. Miahstorm catered to the Smash community by featuring pretty much every popular character and including Melee style gameplay. Tower of Smash acted like a lot of the fan favorites who didn't make the initial SSB4 roster still had a shot.

Nothing in Smash has ever been 100% ideal to the community. Some of the things people hope for do happen, but others don't. It's not believable to write up a leak where everything the people want ends up happening.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm waiting for that too!

Anyway if you have to choose a third party rep for each region who would you choose?

America - Shovel Knight
Europe - Professor Layton
Japan - Cloud...maybe Arle Nadja

I think the reason that these leaks are going with a regional Dlc is because they are trying to bandwagon on Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight becomes more plausible to be in Smash if Sakurai thought of a representative from each region. This is because SK is unknown in Japan. Even though Layton isn't made by a European team (Rayman would be the better choice), I included him because I think Layton has more popularity in Japan.

This theme for choices wouldn't be unheard of and it's a real possibility. There was a theme with the last set of DLC. The fan favorite from Melee, Brawl and 3rd party newcomer.

Since the ballot is open to the world for the first time maybe they are picking a representative for each region.
Wait

why Cloud?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Europe?

I said Europe over Japan, cause I live in the UK, so I understand European cultures a bit more then Japan's, and I can usually tell if they've failed to give a good guess and accurate character for Europe because of that.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Speaking of the ballot, I find it kind of interesting that you need to specify both your gender, and your reason for wanting your character choice in Smash bros. It kinda makes you think about what their process for selecting characters is like.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Wait

why Cloud?
Whoops forgot to explain that.

Arle Nadja isn't know outside of Japan. So Cloud would be a better "rep" for Japan. Plus when you think of Japanese Gaming you think of JRPGs. Cloud is the Ryu of the genre IMO.

Actually scratch that Cloud or the Monster Hunter Hunter. Hunter is more requested and more "Japan". Hunter is also popular abroad. The only issue is the creator of Hunter said he was against Hunter being in Smash (I believe, need to check for a source).

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Speaking of the ballot, I find it kind of interesting that you need to specify both your gender, and your reason for wanting your character choice in Smash bros. It kinda makes you think about what their process for selecting characters is like.
Some people have theorized that they will choose the most popular character that males want and vice-versa. Probably straw grasping though, but you never know.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
If you guys are curious on what my theory is, well, here it is.
Every Amiibo loads a character ID when placed on the NFC reader. With of course Mario being ID: 0. In the 3DS version's code (albeit the current update), there are 6 slots (4 of which are occupied by Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu) which is in there. After those 4 characters, there are two more vacant ones which are placeholders.

My theory is, if the Shovel Knight Amiibo .bin file is leaked, we put the file in an Amiiqo device. Then we put that on the NFC reader which loads one of the placeholder ID slots. This would then theoretically load Mario within' the game.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I will say this, though: one thing I did like about that leak was the use of Dixie Kong over K. Rool. I think it adds a touch of realism.

A big problem with leaks is that some of them tend to read more like wishlists than things that could realistically happen. Miahstorm and Tower of Smash are perfect examples of that. Miahstorm catered to the Smash community by featuring pretty much every popular character and including Melee style gameplay. Tower of Smash acted like a lot of the fan favorites who didn't make the initial SSB4 roster still had a shot.

Nothing in Smash has ever been 100% ideal to the community. Some of the things people hope for do happen, but others don't. It's not believable to write up a leak where everything the people want ends up happening.
ToS wasn't "like" a wishlist. It WAS a wishlist. hell he even threw in a stage list and modes that he wanted. Conveniently so did the rest of the community.

It still saddens me that leak made so many people fear this community with what denial did to them. . . a fake leak with so much incriminating evidence against it has never lasted longer has it?
inb4 gematsu

As for Miahstorm that was more of a fever dream than a pipe dream wishlist lol

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Some people have theorized that they will choose the most popular character that males want and vice-versa. Probably straw grasping though, but you never know.
Or it could be for data collection purposes. Also good to find out who the demographic is. They can be testing to see if more female
Characters increased the number of females playing for example.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
In other regions you also have to put a nickname and your age.

It's kind of strange.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Or it could be for data collection purposes. Also good to find out who the demographic is. They can be testing to see if more female
Characters increased the number of females playing for example.
Ah, that's actually a very good point. That could help them in the future with marketing maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom