• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
We should all buy the VC to support it as much as we can. With enough sales a revival of the franchise could be in the works :bluejump:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Double Post
Been pretty inactive on here for a few days, but just found out that you guys are finally getting a Virtial Console release, that's awesome, I bought it day one when it was released here, I play it when I feel bored but still can't make it past the second castle (was even playing it this morning)
Hopefully this is a hint at a potential Taka announcement in the future
there have been plenty of hints and uses of Takamaru for a while now with his name becoming more and more known around the world (SW3, Virtual Console re-release in Japan, Virtual Console release in Europe/Australia, Japan Wii U Virtual Console release, Nintendo Land, and now this) he almost has as much going for him now as Mewtwo

"Can You Feel the Rising Sun?" - by Takamaru

Can you feel the Rising Sun,
Does it brighten up your day?
Don't you feel that Takamaru,
Just need to join the fray?

Reach out for the Rising Sun,
And forget about the pain!
Just think about the good hype,
And they'll come back swarming again.
D.....did you really just do that?
hahaha awesome, now I wanna listen to the original version, and I'm reminded of the fact I want a plush toy of the tails doll (preferably not an evil one)

EDIT: Here's my moveset, I ran out of ideas for some moves so some of my ideas aren't that great.

Takamaru I feel should be a fairly fast character with lots of ranged moves, but poor air-game (similar to little mac) and like others I feel an Iaido style to his sword slashes would fit him as well, to help pad out his moveset I also borrowed a move from one enemy from his game which isn't impossible since other characters have had similar things happen to them

Walk Speed: Slow
Run Speed: Slightly slower than Little Mac
Jumps: 1
Jump Height: Poor
Fall Time: Average

N: Kunai: Throws a kunai, 3 can be on screen at a time, they only fly a short distance and deal minimal damage
S-Tilt: Will-O-Wisp, Takamaru summons a small fireball that flies forward fairly fast, combusts on impact dealing decent damage, no knockback
U-Tilt: Upward slash
D-Tilt: Swings sword low
Dash: Swings his sword three times rapidly like a headstrike in kendo

N-Air: a quick sword slash
F-Air: Thrust forawrd with his sword
B-Air: Spins around while holding out a kunai
U-Air: Sword uppercut
D-Air: Downward Schogi Bishop Kunai Throw, Takaramaru throws three kunai down below him that spread out as they fall.

S-Smash: Shogi King Will-O-Wisp, a faster stronger version of the standard side tilt with three fireballs being launched together intstead
U-Smash: Shogi Rook Kunai throw, takamaru throws two kunai above him and one out from each side
D-Smash: Spins around with his sword dealing decent damage and making some cherry blossoms float up from the ground (just to make the move pretty)

Grab: Grabs with free hand, very short range
Pummel: Slightly unsheathes his blade jabbing the opponent with the butt of the handle before resheathing it
F-Throw: Kicks the opponent back then quickly steps forward and performs one swift slash dealing a little damage and knockback
B-Throw: Taka steps past the opponent dealing a fast slash to their side as he does resheathing his blade at the end of his step
U-Throw: Throws the opponent into the air above him and slashes them with one swift overhead slash launching them further into the air before throwing the kunai above him (like the Bishop Shogi piece)
D-Throw: Takamaru strikes the opponent knocking them to the gorund before setting a landmine (like the ones the flashing ninjas use) on them which then explodes

N-Special: Katana Slash, Takamaru swings his sword dealing very high damage and knockback, this move is fast but has terrible range, however it has super armour allowing it to destroy projectiles and allow the attack to continue
F-Special: Windmil Sword, Throws the windmil sword out infront of him, travels very far, deals decent damage, dispears on contact with enemy, provides decent knockback
U-Special: Tengu wind, using the whirlwind move of the Tengu enemies from the game Takamaru becomes cloaked in a tornado and flies upwards quickly, drawing enemies in and damaging them several times, if you use the move again while already in the tornado, it will disipate and two smaller tornadoes will fly away from Takamaru
D-Special: Invisibility/Invulnerability, Taka grabs his cloak out and wraps it over himself turning him invisible and making him impervious to damage, the move only lasts a few seconds, and if you perform an attack you become visible again instantly, after use the cloak is thrown away and takes some time to regenerate before you can use again (similar to Robin's Tomes and Levin Sword)

FS: Inazuma, Takamaru grabs out the Inazuma scroll and unrolls it causing 8-Bit lightning to rain down heavily from above for about 12 seconds the lightning stuns but only does light damage

Guard: Defensive stance with Sword held across body
Dodge: Takamaru tumbles and rolls to either side, very small distance, useful to dodge and then keep attacking quickly
Air Dodge: Very quick use of Invisibility, only lasts as long as a regular air dodge

Taunt 1: Crosses arms and says something
Taunt 2: takes out a square sake cup and drinks
Taunt 3: Puts hands on his sword and prepares to draw it and says something

Entrance: Cherry Blossoms fall as Takamaru appears in a puff of smoke
Victory Pose: Takamrau performs a few quick slashes before resting his sword on his shoulder and says something
Loss Pose: Sitting on his knees looking at the ground with his sword sitting by his side

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
"Can You Feel the Rising Sun?" - by Takamaru

Can you feel the Rising Sun,
Does it brighten up your day?
Don't you feel that Takamaru,
Just need to join the fray?

Reach out for the Rising Sun,
And forget about the pain!
Just think about the good hype,
And they'll come back swarming again.
Oh you.:p

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm not seeing why Takamaru should have a poor air game honestly. Not like he needs to be beastly in the air, but it it's just because Mysterious Murasame Castle only has him trekking around by foot, I can't get down with that. lol

Really cool moveset otherwise @SailorWaddleDee

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I always anticipated Takamaru having great air game. (And a unique air-dash mechanic in exchange for a less than great up-b. Or something.)

It would actually make sense to me for him to have slower, more precise strikes on the ground, and a lot more speed in the air. Basically the opposite of Mac or something.

My hype levels seem to be coming back in spades. Daydreamed up a trailer that was a duel between Takamaru and Shulk, who are attacked by Ridley mid-fight and put aside their differences to take him down.

Sigh. Why can't this be real life?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Pretty cool moveset, though the defensive stance shouldn't have him guarding with his sword, as Katana are not made for blocking. If they ignore this though I hope they at least have him guard with the mune rather than damaging the blade or I will be dissapointed.

Also I've personally always foreseen the dash attack hearkening back to the duel scenes in old Samurai movies with him slashing as he ran past and then the opponent taking damage (in this case flying away rather than spurting with blood) a few senconds later as Takamaru clicks his sword back into place... I guess not everyone sees it, but to me it just seems an obvious, and stylish place to put such a nod to the samurai movies of old.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really want Takamaru to have a Samurai Jack styled trailer, personally. :p

Here's how I imagined Takamaru's trailer going. Well, two ways.
He appears as a black silhouette, preparing for a strong shot at the Sandbag, who he is staring down from a distance.
The music starts to get faster and he runs forward and slashes through the Sandbag, sending him flying into the distance.
Takamaru is zoomed in on and the slogan pops up while the Sandbag hits the ground.
Kinda like Samurai Kirby, and I mean, this is Sakurai.

Another way is Takamaru training with his back turned to the screen, petals floating in the wind.
Among the petals is a Smash-sealed envelope, which Takamaru quickly slices open. The letter inside floats down and Takamaru grabs it and begins to read. He jumps with surprise and the screen zooms out on him for the slogan to appear. He dashes away, presumably to battle.

Takamaru's trailer should probably feature Link, Samus, and Pit though.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Should he make it in - I'd actually argue for a trailer featuring Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. - complete the whole classic NES crew. I mean, don't get me wrong, Pit had KI Uprising recently, but he's still from an OLD NES game that was basically forgotten by the non-faithful.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yes since they would be rather appropriate rivals and it could potentially spark a rather ironic pairing. :troll:
Or :4greninja: :troll:

Seriously though, at least one ninja should be in the trailer to showcase the obvious contrast.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Takamaru has connections to so many characters that it must be hard to decide which ones to use in a trailer.

Personally, I think a Famicom Four reunion trailer would be the best choice.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Or :4greninja: :troll:

Seriously though, at least one ninja should be in the trailer to showcase the obvious contrast.
Yep. I prefer it to be Sheik, mainly because Sheik has been given no trailer parts yet and Greninja is a newcomer. I prefer each newcomer to get their own trailer (In the rare case of Robin and Lucina I do not mind though).

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I tend to group takamaru with marth, link and pit; 1986 reunion also works.
But Little Mac seems like the best choice personally, and something like a continuation of mac's trailer with sandbag falling from the sky, well... :estatic:

I do see him being bad in the air though, i mean, he is not a ninja :L

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
So, I was doing some thinking (as always), and I'm now starting to get a little suspicious of the US release of The Mysterious Murasame Castle. "Why", you ask? Well, the game seems to keep being rereleased lately, just a while ago in Europe, on the Wii U in Japan on the 31st (I think), and now in the US on the 7th of August. All the attention Nazo no Murasame jo is getting from Nintendo is nice, really nice, but it makes me wonder... Why did it take so long for it's US release? Europe got the game a while ago and Nintendo seemed to purposely hold back it's US release for...some reason.

This could be nothing, but it seems like they were saving it, waiting for a specific time to release the game. The spotlight it got on the live stream, the mention of Takamaru by name... I truly believe there is something going on here. I believe Nintendo Directs usually happen on Tuesdays, correct? That would leave two Tuesdays between now and it's US release. If a Nintendo Direct is announced before it's US release...I think that may be when he is announced for SSB4. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. In any case, I'm just glad to finally get a chance to play the game.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I do realize this comment is basically pointless because almost everyone would probably think the same things I am right now about a Nintendo Direct before it's US release. I just wanted to say all of this anyway in an attempt to vent out of my hype a little.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, I was doing some thinking (as always), and I'm now starting to get a little suspicious of the US release of The Mysterious Murasame Castle. "Why", you ask? Well, the game seems to keep being rereleased lately, just a while ago in Europe, on the Wii U in Japan on the 31st (I think), and now in the US on the 7th of August. All the attention Nazo no Murasame jo is getting from Nintendo is nice, really nice, but it makes me wonder... Why did it take so long for it's US release? Europe got the game a while ago and Nintendo seemed to purposely hold back it's US release for...some reason.

This could be nothing, but it seems like they were saving it, waiting for a specific time to release the game. The spotlight it got on the live stream, the mention of Takamaru by name... I truly believe there is something going on here. I believe Nintendo Directs usually happen on Tuesdays, correct? That would leave two Tuesdays between now and it's US release. If a Nintendo Direct is announced before it's US release...I think that may be when he is announced for SSB4. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. In any case, I'm just glad to finally get a chance to play the game.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I do realize this comment is basically pointless because almost everyone would probably think the same things I am right now about a Nintendo Direct before it's US release. I just wanted to say all of this anyway in an attempt to vent out of my hype a little.
That would be the most evil genius plan that Nintendo had ever did if that's the case, especially considering the fact that something like this could have been done during the Wii's lifespan when we did get imports. Now all that's left is for us to wait and see if that's really the case. :p

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I really want a samurai esque character in this game, and it has to be takamaru. The moveset a couple posts up is awesome, but in wondering; would takamaru have high power quick strikes with lag after, or no lag?

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Not to unnecessarily increase everybody's hype even further, because it probably means nothing, but not only did they mention Takamaru by name, they brought up that music from his game was used in Brawl as well... dun dun dunnnnnnn! Although I doubt these people know anything, unless they are like those guys on the treehouse stream at E3 who had info on Smash, but barring that revelation... it's probably nothing XD

I actually wrote up a trailer like this quite a few pages back - hooray for an excuse to repost my dream trailer that has already pretty much been rendered impossible :B It would need a character to replace Hades, since I doubt Kid Icarus will get two newcomers... but I guess it's still technically possible? And I still like the concept, so screw it, here it is! :D

Rhymeswithempty said:
Link, Pit and Samus are hanging out, reminiscing about the good ol' days in 8-bit memories, when suddenly, the skies darken - Link's eyes narrow, cut to a close up on someone else's sword slowly being drawn from its sheath and pointed at him, zoom out to reveal the King of Darkness, Ganondorf! He leaps forward to attack, cut to game play footage showing off(hopefully) a new moveset, then back to him and Link locking swords as Samus and Pit watch on. The ground starts breaking up around them and Pit leaps up into the air to fly in on them from the side, but is cut short by a shadowy figure shooting out from one of the cracks in the earth. It slowly turns around, shedding its shadowy cloak to reveal the Lord of the Underworld himself, Hades! Cut to game play footage of Hades, yadda yadda yadda. Return to the trailer, Pit and Link are tied up fighting Ganondorf and Hades while Samus speeds along the crumbling landscape before stopping to charge up an energy shot. Then we hear a loud reptilian shriek/roar, followed by the reflection of something flying by in Samus's visor. She whips her head around and starts firing into the sky, where we cut to everybody's favorite giant purple space dragon, Ridley, dodging the energy blasts as he speeds towards the ground in a dive-bomb attack. Cut to game play footage of Ridley.

Now, this would all have me on the edge of my seat on its own, but here's the perfect twist ending that would send me leaping for joy:

Cut back to the battle, all 3 heroes are struggling against their respective villains, and we get a group shot of the villains being their bad selves. Something paramount, such as Ganondorf getting the smash ball, happens, and the Warlock approaches our heroes with a wicked grin on his face, when suddenly, we hear the sound of footsteps quickly running towards the battle... the flash of a blade, Ganondorf is knocked back, the smash ball loosed from him, and in between him and our heroes, blade still outstretched behind him from his attack... The Famicon Four reunited, Takamaru joins the battle! Bam, Takamaru game play footage, then finish the trailer with a group shot of Link, Pit, Samus and Takamaru charging into battle together!

Oh man, I would pee my pants.

Unfortunately, I don't really put much stock into the Hades leak, so I kind of doubt his inclusion. I was trying to figure out a way to throw Palutena in there instead, but it just doesn't work as well D: Also, the villain I really want is K. Rool, but he doesn't really fit in with this group, either, so a different villains' trailer might need to be constructed around him :p

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Not to unnecessarily increase everybody's hype even further, because it probably means nothing, but not only did they mention Takamaru by name, but they brought up that music from his game was used in Brawl as well... dun dun dunnnnnnn! Although I doubt these people know anything, unless they are like those guys on the treehouse stream at E3 who had info on Smash, but barring that revelation... it's probably nothing XD

I actually wrote up a trailer like this quite a few pages back - hooray for an excuse to repost my dream trailer that has already pretty much been rendered impossible :B It would need a character to replace Hades, since I doubt Kid Icarus will get two newcomers... but I guess it's still technically possible? And I still like the concept, so screw it, here it is! :D
A seperate dk trailer :)

Also that trailer is so hype I might literally have a stroke if it happened

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I really want a samurai esque character in this game, and it has to be takamaru. The moveset a couple posts up is awesome, but in wondering; would takamaru have high power quick strikes with lag after, or no lag?
Yes the lag is necessary since it should take a second for him to resheath his blade after certain attacks. Think of that as something with high risk-reward factor when it comes to facing guys like Fox and Falcon.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
All fighting games have a Japanese Authentic Character and Takamaru would be that character. He would represent the Japanese culture in SSB4 and would provide an awesomely wicked moveset. Just imagine the awesome win poses that Takamaru would bring in the results screen!

Just a question, what would Takamaru's Victory Theme sound like?

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
A seperate dk trailer :)

Also that trailer is so hype I might literally have a stroke if it happened
I would totally be down for a separate DK trailer - especially if both K. Rool and Dixie got in, which I can see happening a little more now that Lucina is in. That does leave the issue of who to substitute for Hades in my trailer, but I guess it could just be Ganondorf and Ridley... I just really liked the hero/villain symmetry I had going on :p

And thanks! XD

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
All fighting games have a Japanese Authentic Character and Takamaru would be that character. He would represent the Japanese culture in SSB4 and would provide an awesomely wicked moveset. Just imagine the awesome win poses that Takamaru would bring in the results screen!

Most likely a remix of this

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice

Could be this, too.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
The stage clear theme makes the most sense, since that's the victory theme you hear most often. And it sounds Japanese.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Here is some reasons why Takamaru Is all but confirmed to be playable
The Pipe Burst leak said we would get a ND in about 14 days she said this on the 15th of July she said there was a trailer with Takamaru Shulk Ganondorf And Meta Knight so you ask where am I going with this? well its simple :
If 14 days is correct that would be 1 day before his Game releases on Wii U VC this happened with Robin and Lucina as well

In the Nintendo Challenge live They showed
Hyrule Warriors
Ganondorf
Kirby's adventure
Meta Knight
The Mystery of the Murasame Castle
Takamaru
while no mention of Shulk its highly likely he will be in

Xenoblade has a anniversary in a close time frame to when this ND could happen

Sakurai states he always tries to revive one Retro character per game so this helps in Taki's Favour

He appeared as playable in Samurai Warriors 3 So there's Move set potential there

Revived in Nintendo Land

So I think he's in you can disagree if you want to I think he's highly likely at this point Here's how I think the trailer might take inspiration from

Dat Remix Though O_o

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
The Pipe Burst leak said we would get a ND in about 14 days she said this on the 15th of July she said there was a trailer with Takamaru Shulk Ganondorf And Meta Knight so you ask where am I going with this? well its simple :
If 14 days is correct that would be 1 day before his Game releases on Wii U VC this happened with Robin and Lucina as well

Hyrule Warriors
Ganondorf
Kirby's adventure
Meta Knight
Takamaru

Sakurai states he always tries to revive one Retro character per game so this helps in Taki's Favour

He appeared as playable in Samurai Warriors 3 So there's Move set potential there

Revived in Nintendo Land

So I think he's in you can disagree if you want to I think he's highly likely at this point Here's how I think the trailer might take inspiration from

Dat Remix Though O_o
I want takamaru, but that leak better be fake :/

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Hyrule Warriors
Ganondorf
Kirby's adventure
Meta Knight
Takamaru

Revived in Nintendo Land

Dat Remix Though O_o
While I do agree with your enthusiasm, there is one problem about that. July 15 + 14 days = July 30 and the game itself would be out on August 7th.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Why do you want it to be fake? its looking like its true and in my opinion we would have a Great Roster in my eyes!

While I no agree with you enthusiasm, there is one problem about that. July 15 + 14 days = July 30 and the game itself would be out on August 7th.
? August 7th? it comes out Wii U VC July 30th were not in August Yet and 15 plus 14 = 29 not 30 so I'm a bit confused by your comment
That's the NA Release July 30th is the Japanese release! Sakurai 99 % of time does JP only Cross Promotions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom