• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
We don't feel the need to vote in that poll. Mainly because like them, many other gaming sites held their own poll as if theirs was the end-all be all of a smash bros poll in the west. So what they interviewed sakurai?

Many other gaming sites have and this will not change anything, not one bit. Only poll that matters is the official poll by sakurai that is launched every time with the official Japanese site. It's funny to see people have false hopes in something that is entirely poppycock

Nice try though, I appreciate your efforts

:phone:
Well, voting in this one couldn't hurt. And it's really all we've got right now.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Well, voting in this one couldn't hurt. And it's really all we've got right now.
Take note that only a small number of people are voting of what the actual game base really is. If this took place during Pre-brawl days where smash boards, gamefaqs, nsider, and all the other boatload of communities where all alive and kicking; we would see a significant amount of logical votes over others (I.e Sukapon, takamaru, etc etc over things like prof Layton, N, shulk, and waluigi)

It's useless voting now considering we've boiled down to xenonlade fanatics, Layton fanatics, poke fanatics, and waweegee fanatics. Look how many people voted for them. Others don't stand a chance

I voted out of schist and giggles (a pun on that word,
an actual name for a specific rock)

D

Deleted member

Sukapon is more logical than Shulk?

LAWL.

Shulk is most likely going to be like Olimar was in Brawl in that Xenoblade becomes a "worthy" IP to have a character from, due to how well the game has done worldwide.
And note, I haven't even PLAYED Xenoblade, so I'm not a "Xenoblade fanatic".

As for Sukapon? Why he's so illogical? You should already know, given that you seem to know a lot about what Sakurai has said in the past.
He had said not to expect Sukapon in the future. Hell, he even said that he'd be a Trophy in Brawl as compensation, and even didn't go through with that.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Sukapon is more logical than Shulk?

LAWL.

Shulk is most likely going to be like Olimar was in Brawl in that Xenoblade becomes a "worthy" IP to have a character from, due to how well the game has done worldwide.
And note, I haven't even PLAYED Xenoblade, so I'm not a "Xenoblade fanatic".

As for Sukapon? Why he's so illogical? You should already know, given that you seem to know a lot about what Sakurai has said in the past.
He had said not to expect Sukapon in the future. Hell, he even said that he'd be a Trophy in Brawl as compensation, and even didn't go through with that.
True, I shouldn't have added shulk to that group, since he's pretty much the underdog of nintendo right now as what saki was to them back then. What about the others though?

EDIT: Regardless, we'll see what happens when the official poll comes out when the site launches

D

Deleted member

I won't argue Professor Layton, as he's 3rd Party.

As for N, he makes somewhat sense for being a major character in not only B/W, but in B2/W2. However, the fact that his team is never the same (he releases Pokemon) and the fact that the Dragon he gets depends on the version, it may be harder to determine what his team would be if at all.
He could just as easily be a Trainer that actually fights on the battlefield while summoning various Pokemon he has used to assist him, not unlike Yugi in the Jump Stars games.

For Waluigi, he has a bit going for him in that he of all Mario characters (not Bowser Jr., not Toad, not Paper Mario, etc.) was made into an Assist Trophy AS WELL AS as his Dojo update sounding like Sakurai wanted to include him in some way. ("That fact he's an Assist Trophy means he's not a playable character....but Waluigi appears nonetheless!")
Also, Sakurai seems to like Waluigi given that he labels him as a thing going good for Luigi on Luigi's Trophy in Melee ("Things are looking up for the eternal understudy; he's even picked up his own rival in Waluigi.") as well as stating that Waluigi has had many "brilliant game appearances" on Waluigi's Brawl Trophy.
And to be quite frank, Waluigi's chaotic randomness in his abilties would fit the chaotic environment of Smash quite well. If only people would get over the fact that he's another man in overalls, they could see that he isn't like the other three at all...

Takamaru (who this thread is about anyways), I agree, is underappreciated on this poll. I mean, Skakurai has expressed interest in him, and he's been slowly working his way up, with his guest appearance in Samurai Warriors 3, his appearance in Captain Rainbow before that, his game getting a revamp like Kid Icarus got (I mean the updated "3DS Classics" version of the original game, not Uprising) that seems to be planned to be released outside of Japan, and now the references in the upcoming Nintendoland.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I won't argue Professor Layton, as he's 3rd Party.

As for N, he makes somewhat sense for being a major character in not only B/W, but in B2/W2. However, the fact that his team is never the same (he releases Pokemon) and the fact that the Dragon he gets depends on the version, it may be harder to determine what his team would be if at all.
He could just as easily be a Trainer that actually fights on the battlefield while summoning various Pokemon he has used to assist him, not unlike Yugi in the Jump Stars games.

For Waluigi, he has a bit going for him in that he of all Mario characters (not Bowser Jr., not Toad, not Paper Mario, etc.) was made into an Assist Trophy AS WELL AS as his Dojo update sounding like Sakurai wanted to include him in some way. ("That fact he's an Assist Trophy means he's not a playable character....but Waluigi appears nonetheless!")
Also, Sakurai seems to like Waluigi given that he labels him as a thing going good for Luigi on Luigi's Trophy in Melee ("Things are looking up for the eternal understudy; he's even picked up his own rival in Waluigi.") as well as stating that Waluigi has had many "brilliant game appearances" on Waluigi's Brawl Trophy.
And to be quite frank, Waluigi's chaotic randomness in his abilties would fit the chaotic environment of Smash quite well. If only people would get over the fact that he's another man in overalls, they could see that he isn't like the other three at all...

Takamaru (who this thread is about anyways), I agree, is underappreciated on this poll. I mean, Skakurai has expressed interest in him, and he's been slowly working his way up, with his guest appearance in Samurai Warriors 3, his appearance in Captain Rainbow before that, his game getting a revamp like Kid Icarus got (I mean the updated "3DS Classics" version of the original game, not Uprising) that seems to be planned to be released outside of Japan, and now the references in the upcoming Nintendoland.
I agree and I couldn't say it better than that. I'm just telling shinpichu characters of the past that we always supported (geno, saki, stafy, taka, etc etc) aren't dominating the polls and for good reason. That being, all these people that supported them in the past either:

A) Aren't here anymore
B) Don't care anymore
C) Don't know about VGT, which really shouldn't be considered a voice of all smash players since every other site conducts polls/will conduct polls and act as if they're the voice of the west.

Never meant bashing shulk, and I apologize if it appeared that way :V

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Little-known characters aren't doing so hot in public opinion polls. Shocking, I know.

Still, Takamaru(and others) have a decent chance. If you had done polls for Brawl or Melee, I don't think Pit, ROB, the Ice Climbers, or Game&Watch would have ranked very high either. Heck, for the original SSB I don't think Samus or Ness would have been top contenders either. Sakurai will always try and include 1 or 2 "darkhorse" characters, and if their appearance is solid enough, it will boost the popularity of the character.

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
I'm really disappointed that Takamaru isn't doing very well in the polls, but I still think he has a great chance of getting in. I'm going to keep being enthusiastic about his chances.

Haxeye

Smash Cadet
True, I shouldn't have added shulk to that group, since he's pretty much the underdog of nintendo right now as what saki was to them back then. What about the others though?

EDIT: Regardless, we'll see what happens when the official poll comes out when the site launches
Thing is that the official poll only recognises the opinions of the japanese, atleast this site is making an attempt to give Sakurai feedback from other audiences. You disregarding the poll results as nothing more than the opinions of fanatics only reveals your own elitism and bias.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Thing is that the official poll only recognises the opinions of the japanese, atleast this site is making an attempt to give Sakurai feedback from other audiences. You disregarding the poll results as nothing more than the opinions of fanatics only reveals your own elitism and bias.
Not at all. Its plain and simple, if its not coming from the source its not official. Not really that hard to understand if you've been around the block or have common sense. If Sakurai wanted to do an "western" version of the polls, he would have. He hasn't. So it pretty much boils down to 2 things:

A) A Western version is open, which is official, not some fan made one to get high traffic like those cons at kotaku and ign

or

B) He uses his own judgement on what's best for the west (Like ROB, which he decided for himself, not some fan site)

I apologize if you're angry. That site is no better than the polls other sites like gonintendo, ign, gamefaqs/gamespot does.

You're telling me that 12,946 users represent the whole smash fanbase in the west? Everyone in America and Europe Combined? Nah, that's poppycock. And let's not forget people's tendencies to vote multiple times from other places as well (or using illegal methods like that gamefaqs poll fiasco back then)

Haxeye

Smash Cadet
Not at all. Its plain and simple, if its not coming from the source its not official. Not really that hard to understand if you've been around the block or have common sense. If Sakurai wanted to do an "western" version of the polls, he would have. He hasn't. So it pretty much boils down to 2 things:

A) A Western version is open, which is official, not some fan made one to get high traffic like those cons at kotaku and ign

or

B) He uses his own judgement on what's best for the west (Like ROB, which he decided for himself, not some fan site)

I apologize if you're angry. That site is no better than the polls other sites like gonintendo, ign, gamefaqs/gamespot does.

You're telling me that 12,946 users represent the whole smash fanbase in the west? Everyone in America and Europe Combined? Nah, that's poppycock. And let's not forget people's tendencies to vote multiple times from other places as well (or using illegal methods like that gamefaqs poll fiasco back then)
I could be wrong but I don't recall it calling itself official. Anyway the point is that it's making an attempt to convey people's opinion to Sakurai, which even with results being flawed due to some repeat voting is still a better method than Sakurai totally deciding for us. And I highly doubt that even the japanese official poll is immune to people repeat voting even if it had IP checks.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I could be wrong but I don't recall it calling itself official. Anyway the point is that it's making an attempt to convey people's opinion to Sakurai, which even with results being flawed due to some repeat voting is still a better method than Sakurai totally deciding for us. And I highly doubt that even the japanese official poll is immune to people repeat voting even if it had IP checks.
Meh, my two cents

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Probably won't even need a poll this time seeing as we're getting down to the bottom of the character pool before we hit C Tier characters like Waluigi.

Sakurai has said that he does take the West into account. Heck, he said that Sonic was added because the West wanted him that much. He knows the fanbases way more than people give him credit for, so I wouldn't worry about a poll or not, if there is one it'll most likely be for finding characters to make cameos such as Pokeballs and ATs.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that Takamaru getting support in the west should help with the odds regardless. This is especially noticible since the character comes from a obscure Japan-only title, something you can't say for some other characters.

Probably the upcoming Nintendo Land contributes to this to an extent. Maybe even the fact that Sakurai is a bit of a samurai fanboy.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Probably won't even need a poll this time seeing as we're getting down to the bottom of the character pool before we hit C Tier characters like Waluigi.

Sakurai has said that he does take the West into account. Heck, he said that Sonic was added because the West wanted him that much. He knows the fanbases way more than people give him credit for, so I wouldn't worry about a poll or not, if there is one it'll most likely be for finding characters to make cameos such as Pokeballs and ATs.
People forget that Lyn was an assist trophy because of the west. Who do you think wanted her?

As for Whaa, people like him. He's turning into a lovable goon.

I'm really disappointed that Takamaru isn't doing very well in the polls, but I still think he has a great chance of getting in. I'm going to keep being enthusiastic about his chances.
Mastershroom said it best, but Sakurai uses his own judgement. There are a lot of characters in Smash that people didn't go gaga over.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyways, I'd see him working out as a mixture between UMvC3's Arthur and Vergil, making him a deadly fighter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My cellphone is rather on the slow side.

Back on topic, Takamaru would be an anti-Link. He would have better speed, projectile usage, and defense. Like another fellow video game samurai, Mistruigi.

D

Deleted member

bump this thread to show my support.

Seems like a great idea. Takamaru has a lot at his disposal. Magic, ninja stars, and katana are just the tip of it. I would be very happy to see him in Smash. I also think he has a great shot of getting in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I bet Saki and Takamaru play some form of tennis together. Saki always serves, because his sword is a gun. He would shoot out the "ball" and Takamaru would deflect it back at Saki. They'd both just keep deflecting it back at each other.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just want to revive this topic by bringing in a video. This showcases what Takamaru's abilities and combo potentials he has, as well as showcasing Murasame Mode on the Wii exclusive title, Samurai Warriors 3. They really did a good job on making a 3D reinactment of Nazo no Muresame-jo. Hopefully the Super Smash Bros. 4 version of this stage would be as good as/or better Koei's. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvjICPpfItI

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

If Nintendo felt like adding Takamaru's Franchise and the Balloon Fight Franchise were worthy choices for the 12 series representing theme parks in 'Nintendo Land', I'd love to see Takamaru and Balloon Fighter step up to the plate :)

It might be a little less than bad reason for my support, but I have to be honest. Seeing Nintendo bring Takamaru to modern light under their "Nintendo-Themed" game, made my support for him shoot up Ten-Fold.

I have a feeling when that game comes out, younger ones who didn't know about Takamaru's NES game, will start asking for his inclusion, since he was represented in Nintendo Land.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

If Nintendo felt like adding Takamaru's Franchise and the Balloon Fight Franchise were worthy choices for the 12 series representing theme parks in 'Nintendo Land', I'd love to see Takamaru and Balloon Fighter step up to the plate :)

It might be a little less than bad reason for my support, but I have to be honest. Seeing Nintendo bring Takamaru to modern light under their "Nintendo-Themed" game, made my support for him shoot up Ten-Fold.

I have a feeling when that game comes out, younger ones who didn't know about Takamaru's NES game, will start asking for his inclusion, since he was represented in Nintendo Land.
This is probably what they intented to do all along. Nazo no Muresame-jo was a classic in Japan due to it's difficulty and theme, though it was overshadowed by the more western centric Legend of Zelda. Both Takamaru and Link have been compared to each other for their massive weapon arsenal and similar skills by Japanese fans alike. Then again, there is that planned Nazo no Muresame-jo 3D Classic that was planned and wasn't heard of again. He would be an amazing contender in SSB4 regardsless. I've had fun with that Takamaru's Ninja Castle at a Chicago Wii U Experience convention and wholeheartedly agree that he'd be a great choice. LOL Guess that makes me the only rabid Takamaru fan since I've been following him since the pre-Brawl days. :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I bet Saki and Takamaru play some form of tennis together. Saki always serves, because his sword is a gun. He would shoot out the "ball" and Takamaru would deflect it back at Saki. They'd both just keep deflecting it back at each other.
Who's gonna take the brainy part and try to actually move that projectile away from other, resulting in a point?

Wait... not that sort of tennis.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Eventually Takamaru would get hit in the nose with the ball, causing his nose to bleed. Someone would walk by and assume Takamaru mistook Saki for a woman.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Eventually Takamaru would get hit in the nose with the ball, causing his nose to bleed. Someone would walk by and assume Takamaru mistook Saki for a woman.
Jenna. Definitely. Tries to refrain from telling to Saki's Waifu because it would be seriously awkward. :D

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Bump.

I've now started to play Murasame Mode in Samurai Warriors 3 after beating story mode with everyone else and was blown away. They not only gave Takamaru personality, but the other daimyo (lords) personality as well. The English voice acting is also top notch and he sound in character. The lords designs also look as badass as Mursame the Demon Statue. He do kind of sound like a younger Vergil from Devil May Cry 3. They also managed to make the mode equally as or harder than the original game (Nazo no Muresame-jo). The only complaint I have is that they made him too slow in that game. Hopefully, Sakurai makes him much faster in Super Smash Bros. 4.

[COLLAPSE="Samurai Warriors 3 Murasame Cast"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Bump.

I've now started to play Murasame Mode in Samurai Warriors 3 after beating story mode with everyone else and was blown away. They not only gave Takamaru personality, but the other daimyo (lords) personality as well. The English voice acting is also top notch and he sound in character. The lords designs also look as badass as Mursame the Demon Statue. He do kind of sound like a younger Vergil from Devil May Cry 3. They also managed to make the mode equally as or harder than the original game (Nazo no Muresame-jo). The only complaint I have is that they made him too slow in that game. Hopefully, Sakurai makes him much faster in Super Smash Bros. 4.

[COLLAPSE="Samurai Warriors 3 Murasame Cast"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Shocked that this thread got bumped. Anyway, neato. Don't play Samurai Warriors much, but this looks cool.

yani

Smash Lord
We sure this isn't another "2/3" deal?
heh nope I promise! He's very open on Twitter. He wants Nintendo to demand him to make a Star Fox at gunpoint (which is why he said except Star Fox) so it's interesting that he mentioned Takamaru's game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
heh nope I promise! He's very open on Twitter. He wants Nintendo to demand him to make a Star Fox at gunpoint (which is why he said except Star Fox) so it's interesting that he mentioned Takamaru's game.
OK cool. Anyway, I'd love to see Platinum Games work on some of Nintendo's action franchises. I think I'd rather see Treasure's take on Star Fox, but that's just me.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
To be honest, I did not even know Takamaru existed until a couple of months ago.

Now that I have read up on him, I have come to find the character very interesting. He would definitely make a unique fighter, if he got into the game. Though I am not necessarily a huge fan of Takamaru, since I have never played his game, I personally would not mind him getting in Smash 4. Who knows? His game series could end up getting revived, like Pit's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom