• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nexus Gaming Presents: SUPER SMASH ROYALE III, April 28, 2007 in San Bernardino, CA-

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG_Stop

Smash Journeyman
Hey Everybody!!!

Kim and I have been really busy lately, but we're proud to finally announce:

We've both been very, very busy with a lot of things, and that's why Nexus Gaming has been a little slow to make another tournament. Among other things, we both got new jobs that have been taking up a lot of our time. But in any case, we're back now and we're ready to put a lot more time into hosting tournaments for you.

The tournament will be hosted at the church in San Bernardino that most of you are used to going to. For those of you who don't know, the address is:

2900 North E. Street
San Bernardino, CA 92404

The tournament will start at 11:00, but you can come as early as 9:30-10:00 if you want to get some early practice.

This time around, we're really focusing on giving you guys the best experience we can possibly give for the cheapest price possible. For those of you who have been to our other tournaments, you've been able to see how we've grown and changed since our first post here on smashboards. We've learned a lot from our first two tournaments, and we think this time around we'll have our best one yet.

From watching you guys compete at our tournaments and others, we've come to realize that most people don't come for the money or the prizes (plus, most of the time it's the same group of people who are winning most tournaments anyways), they come because they love smash and they want to play people outside of their own crews. Because of this, we're going to be heavilly focusing on having our tournament geared towards having lots of friendlies, and giving the most value to you for your money. So, without further ado, here is what you can come to expect from our tournament:

- Singles Competition
- Doubles Competition
- Low-Tier Competition
- Our famous projector
- Extra T.V.'s that are going to be exclusively used for friendlies
- Our Raffle for a $60 Gift Card to Gamecrazy
- Medals and Trophies for 1st-3rd place for each competition
- Our 1-Dollar Concession Stand
- And of Course.... FREE PENS!

Now for the entry fee... we thought long and hard about our last tournaments and how they worked out, and how we could make it better.

Our first tournament was the standard $10 singles $10 doubles, and it worked just fine with a DS lite as the prize.

Our second tournament, we decided to up the ante for everything, giving away a wii for first place, and raising the singles price to $15 per person (we went from $15 down to $10 for doubles after asking you all if you wanted a cheaper tournament or not). We also included the $50 gift card raffle as an extra incentive to come. Unfortunately, because of the high cost to enter singles, we had a lower turnout (about 40 people), and lots of people registered for only singles or doubles, and we ended up barely making any money at all (especially after paying for the venue).

What we learned from this was that the cheaper the price, the more people seem to want to come to tournaments. It seems a big prize isn't as important as having an affordable tournament (since 95% of people don't win anything anyways). So this time we're going to try to give you more for less. We really hope that you're all satisfied with what we decided on. But of course, things are always subject to change.

Without further ado, here is the entry fee structure:

Singles- $5
Low-Tier- $5
Doubles- $10 (per person)
Admissions Fee: $5

As many of you know, the church venue charges five dollars a person for us to be able to use the venue. We thought about this for a long time, and this was the best solution we could come up with. Here's how we think of it: We were originally going to do the standard $10 singles and $10 doubles, and the total cost for someone to enter everything would be $25 (including the $5 admission). We felt it was asking a lot from you guys because of how our second tournament turned out. So we decided that for the same price ($25), we'd give you three events that you can enter instead of only two. This way, the venue is paid for but at the same time we don't just pass the costs to you, but we give you guys an extra tournament to compete by splitting the singles fee into two tournaments. We hope that you guys understand our position, and what we're trying to do.

As far as the prizes, it's going to be the standard prize structure that most of you are used to. We're going to do cash this time for all of the events. From the total prize pot, we take 30%, and after that, it's:

1st Place: 60% of Pot (Plus a free t-shirt, medals for doubles and trophies for singles)
2nd Place: 30% of Pot (Plus a free t-shirt, medals for doubles and trophies for singles)
3rd Place: 10% of Pot (Plus a free t-shirt, medals for doubles and trophies for singles)

Also, again like last time, for every event you enter into, you get a raffle ticket (so maximum of three). At either the middle or the end of the tournament we will draw a ticket and give the winner of the raffle their $50 gift card.

The rules will be standard MLG rules, and if you have any questions about the specifics, you can look on our site at: http://www.nexgaming.net/rules.htm

For the low-tier tournament, the following characters are allowed:

Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Also, like we said before, we're planning on having a lot of T.V.'s at this tournament. The venue is huge, and it's the perfect place to have a good tournament. So far, we have 5-6 T.V.'s that we can provide ourselves (maybe more). But please, any and everyone who can bring a T.V. or Gamecube try your best to. It'll mean more friendlies for everyone, and a faster and more smoothly run tournament.

If you plan on attending, PLEASE REGISTER THROUGH OUR SITE!!!!!!!

http://www.nexgaming.net/registration.htm

This is VERY IMPORTANT, because it lets us know how many people to expect, and how many T.V.'s and gamecubes we need to handle. Of course, we will be labelling anything you bring in, so you don't have to worry about stuff getting stolen. Also, we're going to be taking pictures and videotaping matches at the tournament, so we're requiring everyone to sign a release form either when you sign up through our website or at the door. If you have a major problem with this, contact us personally about it.

Again, thanks everyone for supporting us when we started Nexus. We love hosting tournaements for you guys, and we can't wait to see you there!

- Adam & Kim, Team Nexus

P.S. We've also updated our site a lot, and we've added our own forum (still going through changes), updated the rules page, and generally enhanced the site. If you have any questions please post on our forums there or e-mail us at team.nexus@hotmail.com

Dodger

Smash Ace
Oh, wow. I sure hope I can come to this.

Low Tier? And TVs DEDICATED to friendlies?? *dies*

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Well, because of my car situation, and the fact that I'm completely out of practice, this will be my final tournament. This will be ThomaSexy's last stand.

Arash

Smash Lord
so teams is $20 per team, and it's 60% for 1st?

ultimate sanchez strikes again!

EDIT: n/m they take 30%... but still good i guess

PandaX

Smash Lord
Moms birthday :(
I woulda laughed if you said, "My cat's birthday," but you let me down ryan :( lolol

Here to support team nexus, I'll donate um... I was gonna give away my controller, but I kinda need it when I wanna play RE4 and other crap like that. Hrm...

Ok, in memory of me and who I am, You guys have a 2nd raffle and winner of that one gets... A bottle of Jack Daniels courtesy of Panda. :3

Oh right... for people over 21 and um... well I can't think of the 2nd. If Kim or Adam don't like the idea, no booze for you =o

Zenith

Smash Ace
OMFG, finally I can go to 1 of these.

I'm there

P.S. - When is Nexus Gaming doing those MvC2, GGXX/, and 3s tourneys?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Why exactly is it that you usually have a birthday or something on the days of our tournaments? LoL....
Wait, what? I only missed the first one because I was in Mammoth >_<

But I came to the 2nd one :p

I woulda laughed if you said, "My cat's birthday," but you let me down ryan :( lolol
Oh man, if I could, I would definitely go to this. The 2nd Nexus tourney was one of the best tourneys I ever went too, and it sucks I have to miss this one :(

Zenith

Smash Ace
I hate it when you guys randomly run tournaments here in my hometown, and I have to go.

NG_Stop

Smash Journeyman
Soon!

OMFG, finally I can go to 1 of these.

I'm there

P.S. - When is Nexus Gaming doing those MvC2, GGXX/, and 3s tourneys?
Yeah no kidding, you FINALLY get to come! We'd better not see any post the day before saying something like: "OMG IT'S MY FRIEND'S B-DAY/FUNERAL/MYMOMCANTGIVEMEARIDE~~~"

If you do that we kill you =P.

About the other tournaments, we're hoping to have at least one a month starting next month with this one. If you remember when we originally started out, we were planning on having halo 2 right after our first SSR, but things just didn't work our venue-wise. Now that Luigi has been kind enough to provide us with a quality venue, we're hoping to have them soon after this one.

CAOS

Smash Journeyman
Ill be there for sure cant miss this Round Table of course will be attending. see how my DK does in low tier

FreakN Yosh

Smash Cadet
oh snap! low tier tourney?!?

dayum, im definately making it to this. that low tier tourney is just the thing i need to get things goin for my yosh :chuckle:

im sure ill enter the other tourneys as well. in any case, i got high expectations for my "low " tier'ed yosh, so i plan to have a good showing.

now i just gotta think of a dope team name hehe

Straight

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh, the legendary yoshi will be attending this?! I will try my best to attend this tournament and I might even start playing smash again. :chuckle:

FreakN Yosh

Smash Cadet
Uh oh, the legendary yoshi will be attending this?! I will try my best to attend this tournament and I might even start playing smash again. :chuckle:

haha, yuuup! fasho! hope u make it man, itll be fun n imma make up some crazy new yoshi moves for the kids to trip out on

oh and if u or ur homies ever wanna smash, feel free to hit me up on AIM. theres only so much i can do on training mode u know? hehe peace!

LuCKy

Smash Master
well do you have to sign up now??? and is there anyway to find out who is signed up already?

NG_Stop

Smash Journeyman
well do you have to sign up now??? and is there anyway to find out who is signed up already?
You don't necessarily have to sign up now. You could just to get it done and over with though.
And, no, there isn't any way for you guys to find out who has signed up, lol. I can say right now we have about 10. Can't say who. :chuckle:

NG_Stop

Smash Journeyman
Tournament Date Changed **very Important**

Hey Listen up everybody, we just figured out that the venue we were going to be using is taken on the 21 for a party. Because of this, we're changing the date to the 28 (the next Saturday afterwards). We changed the info. in the first post, but make sure you mark the 28, not the 21, on your calendars. It'll still be at the same place though, so no worries.

Hope to see you there! (especially you, JTB :psycho: )

NG_Stop

Smash Journeyman
It's your lucky day!

You're lucky lucky, for teams each person gets a medal ^_^.

Today or tomorrow we're going to get the medals/trophies made. FYI, we're giving trophies for singles and low-tier, and medals for doubles.

lol my medal punk, unless they give us 2 then were cool lol and the name is pablo! who is joey?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
You bet I'll be there! And it will be a full year since my first tournament on that date ^_^

Zenith

Smash Ace
That was a sudden date change, but I can still make it.

Fox infinite on Peach FTW!

EDIT: Also I will need a partner. I really don't wanna team w/ JRG anymore.

KyokiBPM600

Smash Cadet
Aww, this is a day before my b-day so I don't think I could come and I wish I coudl've meh...I would like to test out my newer Pichu in low tiers ^^

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Thomas, do you want team for the last time? SB one last time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom