• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
In the Pokémon anime series, Team Rocket's Meowth existed as an antagonist. His ability to speak human language also made him famous, although other Pokémon have been shown to speak human language none of them stood out and became famous like Meowth and no other Pokémon has more than one regional form than Meowth. They should have given him a chance to come as a fighter in the Super Smash Bros. series starting with Melee so we would have had a chance to see Pikachu fight Meowth we would like to see them fight our way and imagine that this is how Ash's Pikachu fights Team Rocket's Meowth.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love Lucario but I'd also love Hitmonlee! If I were an episode of the show I'd be the one with the gym leader who has a bunch of fighting type Pokemon.
Lucario and Hitmonlee are two of my top four favorite Fighting types. The others are Toxicroak and Sneasler. If any of the other three somehow made it in Smash, that would be awesome.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Member when people thought that Ultimate had a villains theme because both Ridley and K Rool were revealed early on :nifty:

Though later additions like Sephiroth don’t do a lot to disprove the theory…
:ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:

A villains theme…

Mario series - Waluigi, Birdo (semi clone of Yoshi)
Zelda series - Ganon, Skull Kid
Yoshi series - Kamek
Kirby series - Marx
Pokémon series - Meowth & Team Rocket (Meowth with Ekans and Koffing)
EarthBound series - Porky in the spider mech
Kid Icarus series - Medusa
Pikmin series - Louie (semi clone of Olimar with different types of Pikmin)
Animal Crossing series - Tom Nook (semi clone of Villager and Isabelle)
Punch-Out!! series - King Hippo (semi clone of Little Mac)
Splatoon series - Octoling (semi clone of Inkling)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
:ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:

A villains theme…

Mario series - Waluigi, Birdo (semi clone of Yoshi)
Zelda series - Ganon, Skull Kid
Yoshi series - Kamek
Kirby series - Marx
Pokémon series - Meowth & Team Rocket (Meowth with Ekans and Koffing)
EarthBound series - Porky in the spider mech
Kid Icarus series - Medusa
Pikmin series - Louie (semi clone of Olimar with different types of Pikmin)
Animal Crossing series - Tom Nook (semi clone of Villager and Isabelle)
Splatoon series - Octoling (semi clone of Inkling)
that’s just mean to Tom

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
that’s just mean to Tom
He impedes on your lifestyle and your progress with his capitalism. From chaining businesses, to creating company towns, to developing his own micronations; he has taken innocent philanthropy and transformed it into a malicious political machine that slowly monopolizes every aspect of life. Relying on the Tom Nook brand would be necessary to live. Andrew Carnegie would weep in his coffin.

I see through Tom’s façade. :sakbanjo: He’s in it for world domination.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He impedes on your lifestyle and your progress with his capitalism. From chaining businesses, to creating company towns, to developing his own micronations; he has taken innocent philanthropy and transformed it into a malicious political machine that slowly monopolizes every aspect of life. Relying on the Tom Nook brand would be necessary to live. Andrew Carnegie would weep in his coffin.

I see through Tom’s façade. :sakbanjo: He’s in it for world domination.
he gives you a house in exchange for seashells

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I know it's meant in jest but the number of people that actually hate on Nook unironically does kinda suck...

He's always had this weird negative portrayal in the eyes of a lot players just because you have to pay him for loans and services. He charges no interest and has no time limit might I add, he's actually quite generous. Mechanically he's your progression block for upgrades and yeah that can be annoying at times but he's not a villain.

If you want to put down an Animal Crossing character as a villain, I don't think you really have any options. Any choice is going to be a stretch. I guess you could say Redd for selling counterfeit art. Though it's been awhile so I don't remember if he's even aware he's got a gallery of fakes.

Edit: Double checked, I'd say he counts. Knowingly selling counterfeits and over charging for furniture to scam you.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, Nook is not a "villain" but it can be said that he is the main "antagonistic" force in the game that you need to face in order to "beat" it. The quotes are carrying a lot of weight here because Animal Crossing is obviously unconventional in its structure where none of this is really accurate or necessary. You can chill and not pay off your debt, it really doesn't matter. But Nook is technically the obstacle that you need to overcome, which doesn't really justify him being labeled as a villain but does validate his narrative importance to the Animal Crossing experience if nothing else.

As a character though, yeah Tom Nook is portrayed as very generous and forgiving. He's a good boss and something of a philanthropist.

1702493426269.png

Also no, this would not work at all. King Hippo has more in common with K. Rool than he does with Little Mac, if anything. He's literally in the complete opposite weight class, towers over him at about twice his size, would look awkward as hell doing most of what Mac does. No Punch-Out boxer works as a Little Mac derivative on principle - the deliberate and obvious contrast between Mac and his opponent is the crux of the series.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Tbh, if Meowth got in, I don't think they'd go through the trouble to make Alolan/Galarian alts even assuming they'd be feasible. Probably color swaps referencing them would be good enough.

Regardless, I feel Meowth has been pretty much surpassed. If they're going back to Kanto for a pick, then Eevee and Gengar get a lot more attention these days, plus some others you could make a legitimate case for vs. Meowth. Though the case for Meowth depends a lot on how much you value the anime when it comes to choosing Smash fighters for Pokemon.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Tom Nook discussion.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Tbh, if Meowth got in, I don't think they'd go through the trouble to make Alolan/Galarian alts even assuming they'd be feasible. Probably color swaps referencing them would be good enough.

Regardless, I feel Meowth has been pretty much surpassed. If they're going back to Kanto for a pick, then Eevee and Gengar get a lot more attention these days, plus some others you could make a legitimate case for vs. Meowth. Though the case for Meowth depends a lot on how much you value the anime when it comes to choosing Smash fighters for Pokemon.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Tom Nook discussion.
If he's not back as a throw and Team Rocket doesn't show up at all then basically he's not there which sucks but for playable he'd be like Felicia imo.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
King Hippo doesn't fight anything like Little Mac. He has more in common with KRool than Mac.

He impedes on your lifestyle and your progress with his capitalism.
Damn him and his interest-free loans! What a monster!

Yeah, Nook is not a "villain" but it can be said that he is the main "antagonistic" force in the game that you need to face in order to "beat" it.
If all of Smash's antagonistic characters hung out together in a castle, Nook would not be there.

He may, however, have had the castle built.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still think a Team Rocket character of Jessie, James, and Meowth would be a really fun idea for a character. I’d love to see them play differently from Pokemon Trainer in that they actually mix it up themselves instead of standing in the background. The idea is Jessie and James are the actual playable characters and summon various Pokemon for different attacks. The two would share Meowth for a couple attacks but Jessie would have some like Arbok and Wobuffet while James had his own like Weezing and Carnivine. The idea is to be more of a summoner type character like Yuna in Dissidia.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I still think a Team Rocket character of Jessie, James, and Meowth would be a really fun idea for a character. I’d love to see them play differently from Pokemon Trainer in that they actually mix it up themselves instead of standing in the background. The idea is Jessie and James are the actual playable characters and summon various Pokemon for different attacks. The two would share Meowth for a couple attacks but Jessie would have some like Arbok and Wobuffet while James had his own like Weezing and Carnivine.
Imagine if it's a duo like Pyra mythra and Victreebel is a counter for James but for Jesse it's Wabuffet lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Imagine if it's a duo like Pyra mythra and Victreebel is a counter for James but for Jesse it's Wabuffet lol
Yeah, that’s basically the idea I had. Victreebel and Carnivine are interchangeable since they pretty much fill the same role. I went with Carnivine to spread out the representation a bit beyond just Gen 1.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I still think a Team Rocket character of Jessie, James, and Meowth would be a really fun idea for a character. I’d love to see them play differently from Pokemon Trainer in that they actually mix it up themselves instead of standing in the background. The idea is Jessie and James are the actual playable characters and summon various Pokemon for different attacks. The two would share Meowth for a couple attacks but Jessie would have some like Arbok and Wobuffet while James had his own like Weezing and Carnivine. The idea is to be more of a summoner type character like Yuna in Dissidia.
A human Pokémon character could be super cool in Smash and it's really not brought up often enough. Other characters that could work well with this style would be Giovanni + Persian, Ghetsis + Hydreigon and Guzma + Golisopod. All of those 3 characters I feel would made sense to fight with their hand, but would use their Pokémon more as an assist.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A human Pokémon character could be super cool in Smash and it's really not brought up often enough. Other characters that could work well with this style would be Giovanni + Persian, Ghetsis + Hydreigon and Guzma + Golisopod. All of those 3 characters I feel would made sense to fight with their hand, but would use their Pokémon more as an assist.
I totally agree. Golisopod is one of my all time favorites so I’d gladly take Guzma. I’ll add pretty much any Fighting type trainer to the list of characters that make sense to physically fight themselves. I think Bea might be the most popular at the moment so she’d be cool.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I totally agree. Golisopod is one of my all time favorites so I’d gladly take Guzma. I’ll add pretty much any Fighting type trainer to the list of characters that make sense to physically fight themselves. I think Bea might be the most popular at the moment so she’d be cool.
Yeah there's a few gym leaders that you could proabably make a case for too, like Sabrina come to mind because she canonically have psychic powers or Crasher Wake from gen 4 who is a wrestler. But I feel like Giovanni, Ghetsis and Guzma are just way more iconic because they're cool vilains and not just gym leaders that you'll fight once and pretty much forgot after.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah there's a few gym leaders that you could proabably make a case for too, like Sabrina come to mind because she canonically have psychic powers or Crasher Wake from gen 4 who is a wrestler. But I feel like Giovanni, Ghetsis and Guzma are just way more iconic because they're cool vilains and not just gym leaders that you'll fight once and pretty much forgot after.
That’s true. My original idea for the concept years ago was Lysandre. It just felt like a missed opportunity not to do something with those Dr. Octopus arms of his. I’d love to see any of the ones you mentioned though, particularly Guzma.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A fellow SRW fan, i see...
Its definitely a series i want to see in smash now that one of the hurdles that would seemingly prevent it from joining is gone.

I still dont think it'll ever happen though, it sells enough to be localized but its definitely not well known in the west.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Regarding Meowth, I’m actually curious where it was in terms of priority in Melee given the file name and its absence as a pokeball item. In a prior response, it was stated that Wario would’ve been the ninth unique fighter had time contraints permitted, so I’m wondering if Meowth was the one right after Wario at the time of Melee?

Top Bottom