• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
RE2make is a better remake than RE1make because it turns RE2 into a much better GAME. Specifically, an RE2 game that plays like RE4.

Unfortunately, RE1make still plays like RE1...it's a better version of that game, but it's still that same*****y control scheme.
I mean it's all relative. If you're into the old school Resident Evil titles I think RE1 Remake is the best possible remake one could get without fundamentally changing the type of title it is. Its why reimagining vs remake is a useful differential because both concepts are going for different goals.

As far as Contra, I think it's one of those series somewhat hurt by its kind of genre largely being eclipsed by others. While Castlevania was able to shift into the Metroidvania style in the late 90s and 2000s to find new staying power, Contra has largely stayed as is and the sequels that best embodied it have unfortunately been few and far between. Contra 4 should have been a much more common occurrence quality wise, and it unfortunately wasn't, which left in a worse position than a Castlevania which was getting strong portable releases consistently.

It's a bit like certain beat em series where everyone knows them, but they're simply not as much of a cornerstone of the market anymore.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Member when people thought that Ultimate had a villains theme because both Ridley and K Rool were revealed early on :nifty:

Though later additions like Sephiroth don’t do a lot to disprove the theory…
Yeah, I remember...

I think the opening to the KRool trailer had a lot to do with it IIRC, even though it was just a hint/leadup to that particular reveal

It was not a quality theory to begin with but continuing to subscribe to it all the way up to Sephiroth makes even less sense

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The only real hurdle I see for Doomslayer is the amount of gore and violence in DOOM. It’s basically the same issue as Mortal Kombat but to a lesser extent. We did get Bayonetta as a playable character though and that series can be pretty bloody itself so I definitely think they can work around that. Same goes for Mortal Kombat if the lack of presence in Japan isn’t a barrier.
I really don't think Doom violence is really a problem. I would argue that Doom's violence isn't even really a big part of the identity of the franchise unlike Mortal kombat and even arguably Bayonetta ironically. I mean, sure Doom is violent there's no way around it, but when I think "Doom" the blood isn't the first thing that comes to mind, I think of the fast paced combat and the amazing music. Even the kills in Doom are actually meant to be super fast (like the Glory kill in 2016 and Eternal), unlike MK who go out of their way to make the fatalities longer and more gruesome each game.

I don't think it would take that much work to go around Doom violence. Even if you want to argue that guns and the chainsaw would be a problem, he still have a sword, a hammer, a flame thrower, a ballista, a plasma rifle, elemental grenade, the soul cube from Doom 3 and probably more that I forgot.

Slayer have so successfully caught on as Smash requests. Maybe that's why Doom somehow juxtaposed so well with Animal Crossing. Obviously those games are cut with many other influences, but I do think there's a current of Nintendo DNA in them, if you look hard enough. A few chromosomes, at least.
I actually think this is the same reason Dante is very popular too. DMC 5 especially is like, the most "video game" modern AAA video game.

I do think Doom and Chief are also popular simply for being shooter characters. It's probably the most popular video game genres by a pretty large margin right now aside from Ubisoft style cinematic open world, so of course people will jump on the opportunity to have Doom or Halo here. There's a few other genres not represented in Smash like rhythm, visual novel, puzzle, but nothing come even remotely close to fps popularity (and yeah I know we have Dark Samus as a Metroid prime rep but I don't really count that). Personally I think we're long overdue for a real fps rep, I know the genre got a lot of hate in the ps3/360 era because every game was stuck in the "CoD and Battlefield" mold, but it's a genre that has evolved a lot with Doom and Wolfenstein making a comeback, Titanfall 2, Overtwatch etc.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Flynn from SMT 4 would have made more sense than Joker when the latter is by far Atlus' most popular character and it's not even close. If SMT V release had better timing you could arguably made a case from Nahobino, but even that would have feel off imo. Atlus was always one of Nintendo's biggest third party supporter and if you want to deal with them for a character in Smash, Joker was truly the only viable choices even with no ties with Nintendo.
Flynn? I was thinking more of Demi-Fiend?

Also "that would have feel off"? like how Roy and Greninja,

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Flynn? I was thinking more of Demi-Fiend?

Also "that would have feel off"? like how Roy and Greninja,
But isn't SMT 3 a ps2 game? So he's not even more closely tied to Nintendo than Joker. What's the point of going with a way less popular characters in that case?

Also Roy and Greninja aren't the solo representative of their respective series so that's totally different. I wouldn't be opposed to Nahobino or Demifiend as a second Atlus rep, but with only one Joker is the best pick, in the same way that Roy would have never made it if Marth wasn't in the game in the first place.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if instead of smash directs they'll make more Sakurai Presents videos to market the next game. They were supposedly cheap, and were very popular, so I can't see any reason for them not to use them. It would let them do a presentation every month or so leading up to the game's release instead of just trailers at directs and other major showcases.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I wonder if instead of smash directs they'll make more Sakurai Presents videos to market the next game. They were supposedly cheap, and were very popular, so I can't see any reason for them not to use them. It would let them do a presentation every month or so leading up to the game's release instead of just trailers at directs and other major showcases.
They'll still want the trailers at least to be within the generals to market to people who wouldn't necessarily tune in to a Smash-centric presentation.
Also the base game is a way higher-profile release to market compared to the DLC packs. So they might be willing to put more money into the videos promoting it. They also have to divulge a massive bulk of information about the game beyond just the characters, so it wouldn't be Sakurai talking about one character for half an hour. Or at least any of that would have to be in addition to rather than in place of proper Direct or Direct-like presentations.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
So in 2024 we will get four new waves of spirits coming in 2024. These new spirits will be coming alongside their own amiibo-focused spirit events.

Why amiibo focused Spirit Events , with no new Amiiibo ? & Nintendo releases , Noah & Mio , Amiibo after all DLC & post Holiday rush in 01/2024 ?

& in 2024 Switch will be celebrating it's 7th year. & no more MK8 deluxe DLC

Nothing to see here , just keep moving on.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
We all know about the spirit events next month, right? I just discovered something - it's (probably) not the only Smash-related event happening in January. For about the last half-year, Pokemon Go has been extremely leaky. It started with community day Pokemon, but now it's pretty much everything - and it's all right. I don't know who the leaker is, but what matters is that they're accurate. Just today, it was confirmed that Cetoddle and Wyrdeer will be coming to the game soon - just as leaked. I'm not going to post the whole thing in case someone here cares about Pokemon Go spoilers, but here's a link to the roundup post.

Upcoming Season & Event Leaks (via Discord) : TheSilphRoad (reddit.com)

Why am I bringing this up? In January 2024, there's a very interesting event.
1702423301219.png

An event themed around Pikachu and Jigglypuff? That's an interesting combination. There's really only one connection between Pikachu (:pikachu64:) and Jigglypuff (:jigglypuff64:), at least as far as I'm aware. Is it safe to assume this is a Smash event? Because I think it's fair to assume this is a smash event - especially because this was posted before the spirit news dropped. Pokemon Go didn't do an event for when Ultimate launched, but it did events for most main series games and Pokemon Sleep so it's not like there's no precedent.

As for what this means - I think it makes it even more obvious that the spirits are for the 25th anniversary. Pikachu and Jigglypuff aren't just two Pokemon in Smash, they're the only two in the first game, so if the celebration is for Smash 64 I think it makes since to put the spotlight on the original 2. Additionally, I think it would be a bit odd to do a Pokemon Go collab just to celebrate an anniversary. Not to sound too tinfoil hatty, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if something bigger was in the works.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So in 2024 we will get four new waves of spirits coming in 2024. These new spirits will be coming alongside their own amiibo-focused spirit events.

Why amiibo focused Spirit Events , with no new Amiiibo ? & Nintendo releases , Noah & Mio , Amiibo after all DLC & post Holiday rush in 01/2024 ?

& in 2024 Switch will be celebrating it's 7th year. & no more MK8 deluxe DLC

Nothing to see here , just keep moving on.

the Sora amiibo comes out after Noah and mio. Also if you think there are no Nintendo releases you’ve been living under a rock

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Seconding others here and saying that I do think some people tend to somewhat overstate how much of a priority Contra really is. I understand that it's a very fondly-remembered series by many and I'm not here to discredit that, and I may be somewhat biased here as a youngin who Was Not There for the series' glory days, but my perspective on it is that it's a series that has always kind of just Been Around and had a solid fanbase, but isn't really one of Konami's tentpole franchises (maybe in the 80s at most) and, when it comes to Japan specifically, isn't really anything more than Decently Well-Liked and is far outclassed in popularity by several other Konami franchises. I understand that to a certain generation, yeah, Contra is super iconic! but in my opinion it's really more of a B-tier series for Konami and I don't think they'd prioritize it over Bomberman or, yes, someone like Alucard.
Contra has so many games throughout the years (a lot of them being well-received) and can be considered the sister series to Casltevania, I really don't see how it would only be seen as a B-tier series. The fact that Konami is still working on the series whereas other series like Goemon, for example, is kind of dormant right now kind of shows that Contra is one of Konami's biggest and most important series.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The part about the Meowth trophy's filenaming. A lot of it seems to point at Meowth possibly being considered for Melee...
I knew it! I had a feeling Meowth was supposed to be in Melee.

He was a Pokeball summon in Smash 64 but then he was cut as a Pokeball summon in Melee… so he was planned to be a Melee newcomer!

His Melee trophy is about Meowth’s Party, not generic Meowth species.

We were robbed! Meowth for Smash!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I think that's a little less promising when you look at how none of the third-party costumes from 4 actually became fighters in Ultimate. In fact, 4 added Virtua Fighter costumes, then Persona got in instead. 4 added SMRPG costume, then we got Dragon Quest.

I mean yes it's good that they weren't like "Doom is too M-rated to even set foot in Smash", but the correlation between costume and character seems pretty weak atm. For third-parties, at least.
But then again, there's also Sakurai saying that Mii costumes were like consolation prizes for characters people wanted and then Id Software also went to Nintendo about Doom Slayer's appearance.

Meanwhile, we don't know the exact story behind the SMRPG characters or the VF characters (though Akira did become an AT in the next game, so there was a slight change with him).

I think a bigger hurdle is that Doom is not big in Japan at all. You can tone down violence, but Smash so far has been explicitly averse to series that resonate in a highly lopsided way. That's what's ultimately going to keep Mortal Kombat out more than the gore.

And no, having a costume in Smash doesn't suddenly mean Japan is big on Doom any more than the west is now all about Goemon and Tower of Druaga. And yes, I'm aware there is a fanbase for Doom in Japan. There is a fanbase in the west for Sakura Wars. Doesn't mean those things aren't still niche as heck.
Actually, having a Mii costume in Smash shows that it's not a real hurdle for him as people seem to think, as he almost literally has a presence in Smash. And the fact that it has a fanbase in Japan shows that this is really a non-issue.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean it's all relative. If you're into the old school Resident Evil titles I think RE1 Remake is the best possible remake one could get without fundamentally changing the type of title it is.
I'll agree with that RE1make is about as good as a fixed camera, tank control game can be. Unfortunately, a fixed camera, tank control game is an inherently bad thing to be. Which is why RE2make is an infinitely better remake, because it fixes that vorpal flaw at the heart of RE2. Whereas RE1make does the best it can, but still just works around it.

Which is why I was hoping for a 2nd RE1make before we got RE4make, to bring the entire original trilogy in line with itself.

Contra has so many games throughout the years (a lot of them being well-received) and can be considered the sister series to Casltevania, I really don't see how it would only be seen as a B-tier series.
Look man...Contra is iconic, and one of my most wanted for Smash. But in it's current state, calling it B-tier might be being generous. Thank god for the new game, but it's also clearly a budget title.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Contra has so many games throughout the years (a lot of being well-received) and can be considered the sister series to Casltevania, I really don't see how it would only be seen as a B-tier series. The fact that Konami is still working on the series whereas other series like Goemon, for example, is kind of dormant right now kind of shows that Contra is one of Konami's biggest and most important series.
I guess it depends on what generation you grew up in as well. Crazy as I might sound, while they're both incredibly important to Konami's history/legacy overall, I'd actually place both Contra and Castlevania in the B-tier. Not for importance but for how they're treated today as opposed to their prime.

Though that's also due to Konami's general mixed bag of releases when it comes to games for the past few years now. The only potential "A-listers" in my eyes are MGS and SH. Those are the two series getting big budget remakes.

Contra, Castlevania and Bomberman are B-listers with steady, but lower budget/lower profile/niche new entries and compilations.

Everything else like Goemon, Rumble Roses, etc. are dormant/dead franchises.

Again, not trying to say that being a "B-tier" series makes them worse. I prefer C/C/B to the former series, but I'm going based on their appeal to a wider audience/current treatment by Konami themselves.

If were going with personal preference than C/C/B and the Gradius/Parodius games rank higher for me personally.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Look man...Contra is iconic, and one of my most wanted for Smash. But in it's current state, calling it B-tier might be being generous. Thank god for the new game, but it's also clearly a budget title.
It may seem that way in its current state but I'm talking about overall.

But then again...looking at Konami nowadays, what's the difference? This might be the best they could do with their games.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I know this would probably never happen, but how would you all feel about some series getting representation via costumes? Not for the Miis but for actual characters on the roster.

As an example, I've always had the idea of Streets of Rage getting one of or some combination of Axel, Blaze, and Adam as actual fighters. In addition to having them as fighters, they'd also rep a few other series by getting costumes based on other Sega characters.

So, with the SoR example, they'd also rep Golden Axe through Ax Battler and Tyris Flare costumes for Axel and Blaze. Or Crazy Taxi with Axel/Gena/B.D. Joe costumes for Axel/Blaze/Adam respectively.

Just to clarify again, these are costumes in the more literal sense. Just the clothes. Not a Jr./Koopaling or Hero situation.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The lack of stronger Japanese popularity is likely playing a role in why Konami's not doing bigger investment in stuff like Contra. The company's more generally focused their core development on stuff like Momotaro Dentetsu or eBaseball titles these since that's the kind of titles that sells back home (and with the Swtich dominating the market you don't need big budget releases do make solid money there).

There's clearly profit in the Western market, but Konami's even more risk averse there, with modest collections being their most frequent releases and only really Bomberman getting a consistent push via the two Super Bomberman R titles and their brief battle royal experiment. Even the biggest IP's like Metal Gear and Silent Hill are only slowly getting high profile games and the most prominent ones on the horizons are market safer projects like remakes.

The approach with Contra seems to be allowing smaller studios make sequels with the condition of relatively tight budgets; circumstances that only War Forward seems to able to work well in.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know this would probably never happen, but how would you all feel about some series getting representation via costumes? Not for the Miis but for actual characters on the roster.

As an example, I've always had the idea of Streets of Rage getting one of or some combination of Axel, Blaze, and Adam as actual fighters. In addition to having them as fighters, they'd also rep a few other series by getting costumes based on other Sega characters.

So, with the SoR example, they'd also rep Golden Axe through Ax Battler and Tyris Flare costumes for Axel and Blaze. Or Crazy Taxi with Axel/Gena/B.D. Joe costumes for Axel/Blaze/Adam respectively.

Just to clarify again, these are costumes in the more literal sense. Just the clothes. Not a Jr./Koopaling or Hero situation.
In other words...

Something like this right?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Joker dressed up as Kiryu one time.

Agumon the fact that Pokémon and Digimon has not connected yet is crazy it would a be a historical moment
I want to see this so bad.

I can easily picture the reveal trailer, two unseen trainers having a Pokemon battle until Agumon materializes from a portal to the digital world.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We all know about the spirit events next month, right? I just discovered something - it's (probably) not the only Smash-related event happening in January. For about the last half-year, Pokemon Go has been extremely leaky. It started with community day Pokemon, but now it's pretty much everything - and it's all right. I don't know who the leaker is, but what matters is that they're accurate. Just today, it was confirmed that Cetoddle and Wyrdeer will be coming to the game soon - just as leaked. I'm not going to post the whole thing in case someone here cares about Pokemon Go spoilers, but here's a link to the roundup post.

Upcoming Season & Event Leaks (via Discord) : TheSilphRoad (reddit.com)

Why am I bringing this up? In January 2024, there's a very interesting event.
View attachment 381614
An event themed around Pikachu and Jigglypuff? That's an interesting combination. There's really only one connection between Pikachu (:pikachu64:) and Jigglypuff (:jigglypuff64:), at least as far as I'm aware. Is it safe to assume this is a Smash event? Because I think it's fair to assume this is a smash event - especially because this was posted before the spirit news dropped. Pokemon Go didn't do an event for when Ultimate launched, but it did events for most main series games and Pokemon Sleep so it's not like there's no precedent.

As for what this means - I think it makes it even more obvious that the spirits are for the 25th anniversary. Pikachu and Jigglypuff aren't just two Pokemon in Smash, they're the only two in the first game, so if the celebration is for Smash 64 I think it makes since to put the spotlight on the original 2. Additionally, I think it would be a bit odd to do a Pokemon Go collab just to celebrate an anniversary. Not to sound too tinfoil hatty, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if something bigger was in the works.
I did have the thought that the anniversary Spirit Event would feature spirits of all the Original 12 fighters specifically as their Smash 64 selves.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
In other words...

Something like this right?
Pretty much.

Your example in particular is a reminder of how much I wish Sega (and Namco) would ease up on Sonic/Pac-Man's color/costume options in Smash. (Also makes me miss playing PM.)

In general, I wish Smash handled costumes like SF, KOF, etc. Every actual costume should have its own set of colors rather than every character only having 8 slots divided between both colors and costumes. And I think they should take a page of Dead or Alive as well. In DOA5/6 there's an accessory system in addition to costumes that lets you toggle between different hair styles and glasses.

It'd be nice to have this for a few characters like Peach/Daisy/Rosa who could swap between having their hair down or up in ponytails. This could extend to other things like a clean-shaven Snake for the MGS1/TS look or swapping Young Link's shield to the one from MM.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
What about DC's Injustice, in which an alternate skin is a different character? That can be a good point to revamp the costumes.

And if i want cross-franchise alts, Mario and Luigi as Giana and Maria (Great Giana Sisters)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
What about DC's Injustice, in which an alternate skin is a different character? That can be a good point to revamp the costumes.

And if i want cross-franchise alts, Mario and Luigi as Giana and Maria (Great Giana Sisters)
We already have the former via :ulthero3:and :ultbowserjr:

If they can find appropriate situations where that makes enough sense, then sure, I'd be fine with a few more.

Can't say I'm fond of the latter.

Overall, as far as costumes are concerned, I'd prefer if they simply focus on bringing in more actual costumes that characters have had (plus a few Smash originals or crossover/cosplay stuff for fun like SF does for example.) That and remove the 8-slot limit so the former can actually happen. It'd be nice if multiple players could actually choose something like Wedding Mario, with the color options being based on the Broodals, etc.

I just want a standard costume system. In most other games, again using Street Fighter as the example, you give Chun Li her old Alpha costume or something entirely new. Both get full sets of colors.

In Smash, if a character gains a new costume or even just a different color option, they lose an existing one.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
It'd be nice if multiple players could actually choose something like Wedding Mario, with the color options being based on the Broodals, etc.
I know about the white costume (that replaced Fire Mario), but i can't imagine how this costume could be implemented to smash.

(same wih Gerudo Link)

As for other Cross-series costumes, how about Bubsy or jazz jackrabbit as skins for Sonic? considering that both were characters inspired by the blue blur.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'm honestly not against them, as I do like the idea of characters wearing other characters' outfits and whatnot, but I think those would work better when the character that a character is cosplaying as would make sense to be cosplayed by them, whether thematically or a reference to something. Like say, Link wearing an outfit of Gilgamesh from Tower of Duraga, as Tower of Duraga was an inspiration for the first Legend of Zelda. Or Chrom wearing an outfit of Leon Kennedy because of them starring in a game together and sharing a voice actor.

I did do something like this with a list of costumes, with a list of rules I applied to make things not so everywhere all over the place, as an attempt to encourage doing something besides another "Which characters do you want" game, but it didn't catch on. It's right here if you want to see what costumes I gave to which characters.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I know about the white costume (that replaced Fire Mario), but i can't imagine how this costume could be implemented to smash.

(same wih Gerudo Link)

As for other Cross-series costumes, how about Bubsy or jazz jackrabbit as skins for Sonic? considering that both were characters inspired by the blue blur.
In regard to the Bridal Gown and Gerudo Voe set, I honestly don't see the issue. They already exist in their home series after all. Probably not their first choices mind you, but I don't think there'd be any issue if they decided to go for them. As far as modeling goes, there's nothing crazy going on in either costume.

As for the latter, I still wouldn't touch the idea. Especially with the suggestions being given. Outside of "haha its Bubsy" I personally don't see the appeal. I'd take a Bubsy Mii costume with a unique head piece like Sans/Cuphead but otherwise no.

I'm honestly not against them, as I do like the idea of characters wearing other characters' outfits and whatnot, but I think those would work better when the character that a character is cosplaying as would make sense to be cosplayed by them, whether thematically or a reference to something. Like say, Link wearing an outfit of Gilgamesh from Tower of Duraga, as Tower of Duraga was an inspiration for the first Legend of Zelda. Or Chrom wearing an outfit of Leon Kennedy because of them starring in a game together and sharing a voice actor.

I did do something like this with a list of costumes, with a list of rules I applied to make things not so everywhere all over the place, as an attempt to encourage doing something besides another "Which characters do you want" game, but it didn't catch on. It's right here if you want to see what costumes I gave to which characters.
This is pretty much what I was going for.

With the Streets of Rage example, I gave earlier; Golden Axe is kind of like a sister series and fellow beat 'em up title. Ax and Tyris also bear some resemblance to Axel and Blaze and are all still Sega.

Similar line of thought with Crazy Taxi. You have another character named Axel. Gena also somewhat resembles Blaze, and you can reasonably dress up Adam as B.D. Joe. And again, still within the confines of Sega characters/properties and nothing too out of place. Plus, with it specifically being "cosplay" as opposed to model swaps, there's a little more room for flexibility.

I'm hesitant on cross-company tbh, but I think there are definitely cases to be made for it. Thematic or genre/setting similarites I think would be okay, but I'm personally not fond of suiting up Chrom and Leon in each other's outfits just for sharing a voice actor in one region. (As funny as it would be.)

The primary goal after all, was to give a few more series some kind of representation where they might otherwise not get any. Again, going to the Sega examples, SoR characters with Crazy Taxi costumes in the likely absence of any other Crazy Taxi content.

Mii Fighters I feel are still the best suited means for this, but I think there are some cases where it could work for actual characters.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think it'd be really cool if they did more alt skins that were pulled from outfits the characters actually wore in their games, like in the next smash Ryu having his SF6 outfit.
Or if Chun li ended up in the game, she would have her basic outfit, her alpha outfit and her 6 outfit.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In general, I wish Smash handled costumes like SF, KOF, etc. Every actual costume should have its own set of colors rather than every character only having 8 slots divided between both colors and costumes. And I think they should take a page of Dead or Alive as well. In DOA5/6 there's an accessory system in addition to costumes that lets you toggle between different hair styles and glasses.
Little Mac had 16 alts in Sm4sh, with half of them being the wireframe look, and Wario had 12 in Brawl, divided in half between his Biker outfit and his overalls. The Sm4sh Little Mac alt treatment was my ideal scenario for certain fighters.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Was there ever a reason given for limiting it to 8 alts for each fighter? I guess with how long it takes the css to load in the renders already it might have just been to help with that? Either way, so many characters would benefit from having more slots so hopefully they go back to just having 8 as a minimum in the next game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Was there ever a reason given for limiting it to 8 alts for each fighter? I guess with how long it takes the css to load in the renders already it might have just been to help with that? Either way, so many characters would benefit from having more slots so hopefully they go back to just having 8 as a minimum in the next game.
Probably because of the 8 player smash but then that only gives one option to all 8 players.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Man… wish Meowth got in Melee. The Meowth trophy really was Team Rocket Meowth… we were going to have Team Rocket Meowth in Melee. 😿

Had Meowth been a Melee veteran who was cut from Brawl and SSB4, he would have come back in Ultimate with a new Final Smash… probably Gigantamax Meowth… and his intro would have been Team Rocket doing the motto before Meowth jumping in the stage yelling “Meowth! That’s right!”

It would have been perfect when Team Rocket showed up in Pokémon Let’s Go and Meowth came back in Ultimate with “Everyone is here!” and the Team Rocket Mii Fighter costumes.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Man… wish Meowth got in Melee. The Meowth trophy really was Team Rocket Meowth… we were going to have Team Rocket Meowth in Melee. 😿

Had Meowth been a Melee veteran who was cut from Brawl and SSB4, he would have come back in Ultimate with a new Final Smash… probably Gigantamax Meowth… and his intro would have been Team Rocket doing the motto before Meowth jumping in the stage yelling “Meowth! That’s right!”

It would have been perfect when Team Rocket showed up in Pokémon Let’s Go and Meowth came back in Ultimate with “Everyone is here!”
Actually, with how prominent Moewth was in the anime from Melee to Ultimate, I don't think he would've been cut from Brawl or Sm4sh.

Besides, the anime has a hilarious kind of Final Smash for Meowth.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Meowth is actually my go to pick for a Pokémon that isn't from the newest gen getting in. This is mostly due to how prominent it is in the franchise, being the second most recurring Pokémon in the anime and being the only Pokémon to ever get two separate regional variants. Although my idea actually has Meowth actually get 12 alts as opposed to the usual eight, with four alts in its normal form, four alts in its Alolan form, and four alts in its Galarian form.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meowth is actually my go to pick for a Pokémon that isn't from the newest gen getting in. This is mostly due to how prominent it is in the franchise, being the second most recurring Pokémon in the anime and being the only Pokémon to ever get two separate regional variants. Although my idea actually has Meowth actually get 12 alts as opposed to the usual eight, with four alts in its normal form, four alts in its Alolan form, and four alts in its Galarian form.
Galarian Meowth has a completely different build from Kantonian and Alolan Meowth. It almost certainly wouldn't work as an alt.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Galatia Meowth wouldn’t really work as an alt due to how different its body shape is. That said, one idea for alts I think would work for Meowth is costumes based on the Grunts of each evil team.

Top Bottom