• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Per usual, hoping to score on some Nintendo franchises who have been neglected on the Switch thus far.

Though also it's tantalizing to think we are very likely still gonna get a September Direct in addition to whatever is in this one.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Direct live but thankfully will only have to wait a few hours.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Decided to share my Ganondorf rework:
Intro: Ganondorf appears through a dark portal as the Triforce of Power shines.

Stance/Idle 1: Ganondorf takes a valiant stance while shaking his arms.
Idle 2: Ganondorf brings his hands together, then swings his right arm over his head.
Idle 3: Ganondorf crosses his arms and looks in the opposite direction, before looking back in the direction he was facing with a mocking smirk.

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Ocarina of Time (default)
  2. Violet cape
  3. Pig Ganon (blue)
  4. Green cape
  5. Wind Waker Ganondorf (brown)
  6. Four Swords Ganon (white)
  7. Twilight Ganondorf (gray)
  8. Phantom Ganon (alt.)
Walk: Ganondorf walks menacingly towards the opponent.
Dash: Ganondorf floats along the ground.
Damage: Ganondorf recoils like he does when hit by a Light Arrow.
Jump: Ganondorf jumps once, then uses magic to do a floatier, higher jump. He can float by holding up on the control stick.
Crouch: Ganondorf puts one knee on the ground.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Ganondorf thrusts his electrified palm forward (11%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Ganondorf kicks in front of himself (13%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Ganondorf swings his sword above himself in a backwards arc (15%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Ganondorf raises his right hand and erupts a pillar of darkness from the ground (14%, OK knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Ganondorf spins his trident in front of himself (17%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Ganondorf thrusts his trident forward (17%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Ganondorf thrusts his trident backward (17%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Ganondorf performs a backflip kick (14%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Ganondorf stomps on the opponent (19% with a meteor effect, medium knockback)

Dash Attack: Wizard’s Foot; Ganondorf slides forward with a kick covered in darkness (15%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Ganondorf lifts himself up and performs a backfist (11%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Ganondorf warps back up as darkness surrounds him (12%, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Ganondorf swings his sword directly towards the ground (24%, medium knockback)
Up+A: Ganondorf thrusts his trident above himself (22%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Volcano Kick; Ganondorf raises a foot into the air and kicks with explosive force (25%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Ganondorf reaches out with his left hand, then lifts the opponent up
Pummel: Ganondorf chokes the opponent (3%)
Forwards+Throw: Dark Wave; Ganondorf pushes the opponent away using a wave of darkness (9%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Ganondorf tosses the opponent through a dark portal (5%) that reappears behind him (7%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Ganondorf delivers a powerful uppercut to the opponent (13%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Flame Choke; Ganondorf blasts the opponent with a pulse of dark magic (12%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Dead Man’s Volley
; Ganondorf throws a ball of energy that homes in on the opponent, paralyzing whoever it hits. It starts slow and weak, but every time it’s reflected, it becomes faster and stronger. While he can only have one ball on the stage at a time, Ganondorf can reflect it back with his cape by pressing B. The amount of time a fighter is paralyzed upon contact depends on how many times the ball was reflected up to that point
B + Forwards : Dark Thrust; Ganondorf lunges forward with his trident, hitting the opponent multiple times (22%, OK knockback)
B + Up : Dark Dive; Ganondorf performs an electric uppercut (13%, OK knockback) and slams back on the ground with a destructive shockwave (25%, medium knockback). You can cancel the second part of the attack by holding up on the control stick; this allows you to float, but you enter freefall once you stop floating.
B + Down : Dark Wave; Ganondorf charges a wave of darkness that pushes opponents back. How far opponents are pushed depends on the charge, something you cannot store for later.

Final Smash: Ganon, the Demon King; Ganondorf turns into his true form, Ganon, to terrorize the opponents. Ganon can be freely controlled and plays how he does in his boss battle.

Gimmick: N/A

Taunts
Up: Ganondorf spins and laughs while floating in the air.
Side: Ganondorf punches his right fist into his open palm, while the Triforce of Power shines in his right hand.
Down: Ganondorf unsheathes either his sword or his trident with a mocking laugh.

Winposes
1: Ganondorf laughs at the opponent before looking at the camera with a mocking grin.
2: Ganondorf proudly displays the Triforce of Power in his right hand.
3: Ganondorf spins his sword before thrusting it into the ground, in a pose resembling his Melee render.

Applause: Ganondorf crosses his arms and looks in the opposite direction.
Icon: The Triforce
Boxing Ring Title: The Great King of Evil
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/gL3PIOFP5iI?t=105
Victory Music: Victory! The Legend of Zelda
Kirby Hat: Ganondorf’s hair

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Per usual, hoping to score on some Nintendo franchises who have been neglected on the Switch thus far.

Though also it's tantalizing to think we are very likely still gonna get a September Direct in addition to whatever is in this one.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Direct live but thankfully will only have to wait a few hours.
Well there are still the F-Zero and Kid Icarus ports/remasters floating around in the rumorsphere

Okay...

Well, um...

At least we now know the horse's name? If we decide we want him in Smash?
I just hear Horse the Horse, and I really wish it was that. Though I'm guessing it's Horace.

But yes, even though this game is going to be trash and quickly forgotten, and I have no love for 1-2 Switch in general, this is probably the only opportunity to realize the fever dream of a dude in a campy suit wearing a dollar store horsehead mask in Smash.

And that I do want.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I love how incredibly low key the reveals for the 1-2 Switch sequel have been. A very quiet Twitter announcement for it and now a promotional video the day before a Direct when everyone else's attention is elsewhere. Its not often a title feels like the embarrassing family member a company is ashamed to show off, but this one is living up to it.

I almost have to believe they sunk just enough money into it that they had to release something to get their investment while also determining that it wasn't worth putting in more than a token effort of marketing.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Yeahhh... Everybody 1-2 Switch looks exactly as bad as we all figured it would be. Kinda funny that Nintendo just shadowdropped the trailer now when there's nothing that would have stopped them from saying tomorrow's Direct would be around 45 minutes and including the trailer for it there. Considering there have been some bleh games in Directs before, this speaks to how bad Nintendo thinks this game is.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I haven't seen Nintendo disown a game of theirs this bad since Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Fix'd. Stanley the Bugman is still the GOAT for Nintendo.
The other Fortuna All-Stars members like Itsuki or Touma aren't spirits in Ultimate, and the only male for the FEH Collab gets TT'd.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I love how incredibly low key the reveals for the 1-2 Switch sequel have been. A very quiet Twitter announcement for it and now a promotional video the day before a Direct when everyone else's attention is elsewhere. Its not often a title feels like the embarrassing family member a company is ashamed to show off, but this one is living up to it.

I almost have to believe they sunk just enough money into it that they had to release something to get their investment while also determining that it wasn't worth putting in more than a token effort of marketing.
Well apparently the game was more or less done and just testing abysmally. So they had basically a finished product and had to decide whether it was even worth releasing or not.

I wonder how it got to that stage of development if it was that rough. Nintendo typically has no problem throwing games back into the oven for substantial periods of time if it's not shaping up right, even if it's fairly far in development.

FZ still feels like a pipe dream but KI I think has a pretty decent chance
I get that. But it's funny because there's more credible people backing the former.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got both.

They didn't disown that game, they re-released it.

It just bombed both times.

The other Fortuna All-Stars members like Itsuki or Touma aren't spirits in Ultimate, and the only male for the FEH Collab gets TT'd.
Because it's a spin-off, those naturally get less attention.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Idk if it's been discussed here but the Ubisoft CEO not only confirmed what we all know about a new Switch coming, but that Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope and all it's content will be receive updates to be optimized for this new console, confirming backwards compatibility.
20230620_175307.jpg

So could this bode for well for smash ultimate deluxe to add in some more can faves like Rayman, Chief, Dante etc? Or maybe we'll still get a new entry all together? I have no strong bets either way just figured I'd bring it up.

(Oh and sauce: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ld-mario-rabbids-sequel-for-its-next-console/)

Ivander

Smash Legend
You say that like it's a bad thing. When in some cases, it's not. Like the GHB and TT Units we got recently are very good. Itsuki was good when he first released. Nowadays, he has issues like every other Red Sword and he has to wait for his Refine.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Young Innes carries my arena run every other week so being a TT isn't all bad.

That said yeah TMS is absolutely dead in the water in terms of IS ever acknowledging it or it getting acknowledged as a whole on either end lol.

NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING, THIS ROBBED ME OF A REAL SMT X FE.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Idk if it's been discussed here but the Ubisoft CEO not only confirmed what we all know about a new Switch coming, but that Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope and all it's content will be receive updates to be optimized for this new console, confirming backwards compatibility.
View attachment 373606

So could this bode for well for smash ultimate deluxe to add in some more can faves like Rayman, Chief, Dante etc? Or maybe we'll still get a new entry all together? I have no strong bets either way just figured I'd bring it up.

(Oh and sauce: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ld-mario-rabbids-sequel-for-its-next-console/)
To play devil's advocate, while I do think the next system will be an iteration of the Switch, and feature bc, in theory this doesn't preclude simply releasing an updated port native to that hardware.

As for Smash, this doesn't really change things. The more similar the architecture is to the Switch/the fewer mandatory gimmicks, the easier ports become, but speculation already proceeded under the idea that the next system being a better Switch w/ bc was entirely plausible.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
As for Smash, this doesn't really change things. The more similar the architecture is to the Switch/the fewer mandatory gimmicks, the easier ports become, but speculation already proceeded under the idea that the next system being a better Switch w/ bc was entirely plausible.
Never implied it hasn't proceeded under this idea or that it wasn't plausible before? Merely asking if this sways anyone's opinion on what's to come next.

Ivander

Smash Legend
TMS might be the only game where an association with two famous properties might have actually hurt it a bit. Far too many people could only see the FExSMT crossover they didn't get rather than the release they did, and the sales seem to reflect that.
No, what actually hurt it was that the concept was revealed before Atlus even decided what they were going to do for the setting. Like literally.

Imagine rather than the gameplay footage of Breath of the Wild that Eiji Aonuma first revealed to us if we were just shown the early concept art of Breath of the Wild involving Hyrule getting invaded by aliens only to later get the reveal trailer of Breath of the Wild and everybody is confused on why there are no aliens. This is why you don't reveal stuff when the makers are still in the concept stages.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
View attachment 373606

You mentioned Rayman and Dante. One is a spirit and the other one is a Mii costume. If there is a deluxe, I hope this does mean that characters in their positions have a chance to be upgraded to playable status. I would hate for such highly important characters like Kunio, Riki, and Doom Slayer to miss out once again.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Never implied it hasn't proceeded under this idea or that it wasn't plausible before? Merely asking if this sways anyone's opinion on what's to come next.
Which informs the first sentence in that paragraph, which addresses your question.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
You mentioned Rayman and Dante. One is a spirit and the other one is a Mii costume. If there is a deluxe, I hope this does mean that characters in their positions have a chance to be upgraded to playable status. I would hate for such highly important characters like Kunio, Riki, and Doom Slayer to miss out once again.
I mean spirits at least got upgraded in the game already for DLC so that definitely wouldn't be out of the ruling for a deluxe port. I feel miis would possibly be given a 2nd look as well.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I mean spirits at least got upgraded in the game already for DLC so that definitely wouldn't be out of the ruling for a deluxe port. I feel miis would possibly be given a 2nd look as well.
Yeah but they were first-party, so they were kind of safe. It's the third-party characters I'm looking at.

But by the time a deluxe port would be out, the Mii costumes would be out for so long that there's no reason for all of them to still be "consolation prizes" at that point, so they should be upgraded by then.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah but they were first-party, so they were kind of safe. It's the third-party characters I'm looking at.

But by the time a deluxe port would be out, the Mii costumes would be out for so long that there's no reason for all of them to still be "consolation prizes" at that point, so they should be upgraded by then.
I don't think there's any different rules for third party spirits being upgraded besides getting permission from their companies which applies to all third parties. And yeah with a deluxe port being a re-releases I'm sure some consolation prize miis will be reconsidered.

Hoping all the fan faves that got consolation prize spirits or miis can get their chance one day

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if a Deluxe port of Ultimate will even have new fighters at all, at least at launch that is. It might just be a simple rerelease of Ultimate with all the DLC content available on the cartridge and from Day 1. This assumes that it will also be on the Switch that is, but I'm not expecting an Ultimate Deluxe to happen anyways.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
You win some and you lose some. Not all characters can make it as it takes development time based on the timing of their home series or heavily on demands. Even then, it might not be enough, but be humble in the end.

18167.png

GameArtist1993

Smash Cadet
Let's hope the Donkey Kong fighters are voiced by their actual voice actors as this is one of the parts I've got beef with the Smash series like let's say in Ultimate, Takashi Nagasako voiced Ganondorf but not Donkey Kong. The opportunity was right there, but the latter fighter opted to using generic gorilla noises which sounds nothing like the Donkey Kong we know currently. I've seen mods done by dedicated Smash fans in regards to Donkey Kong using Mr. Nagasako's voice clips.

I also want to see the return of Break the Targets and Board the Platform.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Let's hope the Donkey Kong fighters are voiced by their actual voice actors as this is one of the parts I've got beef with the Smash series like let's say in Ultimate, Takashi Nagasako voiced Ganondorf but not Donkey Kong. The opportunity was right there, but the latter fighter opted to using generic gorilla noises which sounds nothing like the Donkey Kong we know currently. I've seen mods done by dedicated Smash fans in regards to Donkey Kong using Mr. Nagasako's voice clips.

Him, Diddy and K.Rool need their voices from the cartoon or I don't want it

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't think there's any different rules for third party spirits being upgraded besides getting permission from their companies which applies to all third parties. And yeah with a deluxe port being a re-releases I'm sure some consolation prize miis will be reconsidered.

Hoping all the fan faves that got consolation prize spirits or miis can get their chance one day
Every time they add a new wave of characters, the previous roles can, in theory, be reevaluated. I don't believe there's a distinction between first and third party here, it's just most third-party content was via DLC, so, because it was added in a later phase, it was less subject to reevaluation.

Base became subject to reevaluation for FP2, because FP1 was decided concurrently with it (later than base selection, but before launch). However FP2 was selected early enough in DLC that the Mii costumes and DLC spirits were chosen to avoid overlap, knowing who the fighters would already be. Sora aside.

However, if there had been a FP3 chosen, hypothetically, during the last year of FP2, the previous content could, presumably, be subject to reevaluation, just as base was for FP2. To that end, a Deluxe Ultimate could reevaluate the supporting content.

It probably would, considering basically every plausible first-party already has some sort of role, barring very new characters, like Gen 9.

I'm not sure if a Deluxe port of Ultimate will even have new fighters at all, at least at launch that is. It might just be a simple rerelease of Ultimate with all the DLC content available on the cartridge and from Day 1. This assumes that it will also be on the Switch that is, but I'm not expecting an Ultimate Deluxe to happen anyways.
The difference in amount of units they'd move with newcomer(s) versus an unchanged selection, especially if there's bc, would make an identical roster very very surprising. It'd also remove what Smash relies most heavily on for promotion.

And having newcomers but not putting any in base would really be a blunder, marketing-wise. If that means the game launches later, launch later, but have at least someone new in there.

I'd love to get the, but I wouldn't be surprised if it paralleled however they handle the voices in this alleged EPD DK game.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Oh man, Nintendo Direct incoming. There has to be a Smash newcomer there, right? Who d'you think it'll be? Rauru? Sidon? Someone else?

Nah, what am I thinking? It'll be a huge third party reveal shown off right after their game gets a Switch port announced! That's always happened!

This joke would've worked better if I'd remembered to post it 8 hours ago...

Ivander

Smash Legend
A decent direct, and with some cool surprises. Super Mario RPG Remake, Luigi's Mansion 2, WarioWare, Star Ocean 2 R, Super Mario Bros. Wonder. And I was interested in that Kingdom of no Words game or whatever it was called. Although poor Diddy Kong. It was cool seeing Petey and Kamek, but Wiggler was certainly an oddball choice.

And once again, the Super Mario Bros. games bring in new kinks. Move over Cat Peach and Bowsette, Elephant Peach is the new Queen in Super Mario town.

Top Bottom