• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I wish that game had even half the attention for a possibility of pulling a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pass scenario, but it doesn't sadly. If anything, I just see a new TOTK Warriors-styled game with the potential to happen.

And at least Teba got to have his own moment to shine in AoC.
I could see them do a Hyrule Warriors Legends-esque port and add an additional storyline with Rehydrated Ganondorf, Rauru, Tulin, Sonia, and Mineru, Zonai and/or mech as playable. It may not be preferable, but it'd allow them to expand on an older game without adding DLC to a game that the majority of its player base has moved on from.

As for Teba, he got to be the most broken character in AoC. At least he retired at the top.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
So..............will a Nintendo Direct happen for the summer? It might be my impatience eating away my patience with growing curiosity.
1000008130.jpg

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Really? What's the reasoning?
NateDrake has intimated it's between the 20th and the 23rd. He's pretty reputable, but also there's further reason to lend it credence given the 23rd is Nintendo's shareholder AGM and currently their entire slate of dated games numbers at two and will both be released less than a month after the meeting. Wouldn't really be a good look for their investors.

Especially since with only two games, each would have to get a lot of attention, which I'm pretty sure isn't what Nintendo wants for 1-2-Horse.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Unpopular opinion: they could just keep Ganondorf mostly the same as in Ultimate moveset wise and still give him a TotK rework of sorts by adding the Gloom effect as gimmick on him.

My minimally changed Ganondorf proposal:

Neutral B: Warlock Gloom Punch. Gloom emits from Ganondorf and his surrounding area, and he punches straight ahead with super armor during the whole move and an explosion of Gloom in front om him creating a semi projectile not unlike say Mega Man F Smash. Gloom remains on the area afterwards and deals lingering damage.

Side B: functionally the same but with Gloom effect. When B is held it becomes a forward slicing attack with the Gloom Sword.

Down B: same but with the Gloom Spear in hand. Bigger hitbox and range. Gloom lingers on the trail Ganondorf ran over afterwards.

Up B: the same but buffed for the sake of it.

F Smash : same but now uses a Club.
D Smash: same but with Spear
U Smash: same but with Club

N Air : a spinning sword slash

U Tilt: functionally the same move but with the Gloom Club

F Tilt: a simple sword slice with the Gloom Sword.

Ah work starts again. Might edit later.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Smash 4's roster was decided in 2012, only a single year after Return to Dream Land released. Dee was absolutely not a mainstay at that point. Even back during that era of speculation, he was considered a dark horse at best.

Wolf was a low-priority semi-clone when he was added to Brawl. That likely carried over to Smash 4, and Wolf's showing on the ballot likely surprised the team, to an extent, since most clone-ish characters don't have as warm a reception. As well, considering the sordid state of the Star Fox franchise at the time, it wasn't too huge a surprise in retrospect.

The team also clearly doesn't have a "villain quota" like the fanbase does. Sakurai is on record as still having been aware of Ridley's demand but skeptical of the implementation at that time, and K. Rool is another case of an audience and crew disconnect: they likely had no indication of K. Rool's popularity prior to the ballot. Again, they don't add characters for the sole purpose of upping the number of villains.

Roy was brought back because he was a fairly demanded veteran. And Rosalina was a very popular character among the Mario fanbase, even if that didn't translate, at the time, to direct Smash requests (as someone who wanted her at the time, it was more so a "not gonna happen but would be cool" type of thing, since Toad vs Bowser Jr. took up the majority of Mario newcomer discourse). Greninja ended up becoming one of the most popular Pokémon of all time.

This is also acting like Smash 4 didn't add a lot of very big fan requests when it absolutely did. The return of Mewtwo, alongside the additions of Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Shulk, Bowser Jr., and to a lesser extent Pac-Man and Miis, were all highly requested characters. Villager was also considered a welcome addition that was only unexpected because of Sakurai dismissing him in Brawl.

Like, yeah, Ridley and K. Rool were two of the three biggest newcomer requests (alongside Mega Man, and right above Little Mac and Palutena), but it's asinine to act like Smash 4 rejected fan demand wholesale. And especially not while propping up the likes of Bandana Waddle Dee and Impa when they were nowhere near the top of the barrel as far as requests at the time.
I wanted to counter via a certain meme sadly i dindt find it!
So i guess i have to write it instead one thing that bothers people like me is the inherint unfainess of smash newcomers Kirby and zelda Have 3 Characters each While Mario had a total of 7 Also im tired so yeah i wont really continue arguing with you
(ALthough replace The characters with other ones from their franchises if you want)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Unpopular opinion: they could just keep Ganondorf mostly the same as in Ultimate moveset wise and still give him a TotK rework of sorts by adding the Gloom effect as gimmick on him.

My minimally changed Ganondorf proposal:

Neutral B: Warlock Gloom Punch. Gloom emits from Ganondorf and his surrounding area, and he punches straight ahead with super armor during the whole move and an explosion of Gloom in front om him creating a semi projectile not unlike say Mega Man F Smash. Gloom remains on the area afterwards and deals lingering damage.

Side B: functionally the same but with Gloom effect. When B is held it becomes a forward slicing attack with the Gloom Sword.

Down B: same but with the Gloom Spear in hand. Bigger hitbox and range. Gloom lingers on the trail Ganondorf ran over afterwards.

Up B: the same but buffed for the sake of it.

F Smash : same but now uses a Club.
D Smash: same but with Spear
U Smash: same but with Club

N Air : a spinning sword slash

U Tilt: functionally the same move but with the Gloom Club

F Tilt: a simple sword slice with the Gloom Sword.

Ah work starts again. Might edit later.
If they're going to go through the effort of changing the animations and appearance of the moves, they very well could just go a bit further and make them different moves in general. I feel like this half n half approach is probably the worst of both worlds.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d love a full revamp but I think I’d still be fine with just a few changes. Dead Man’s Volley replacing Warlock Punch, a floating run animation like Sephiroth or Mewtwo, and a better recovery (even if it’s just bringing back his Wizard’s foot trick from Melee) would help. A more useful up tilt would be nice too. Even if that’s all he got, I’d be satisfied enough.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I can promise you that nobody making the roster decisions cares about this sort of pedantic distinction.
Great so then everyone's in agreement that Sans, Cuphead, Shantae, Vault Boy, Ezio, Travis, Dante, and Doom Slayer are all in Smash officially and fully then?

Even if you wanted to use Fortnite as an example of Nintendo appearance, that doesn't change the fact that every fighter in Smash had to at minimum have their game series show up on a Nintendo console first (and frankly, every other character showed up in their game series on Nintendo first before being added.)

So God of War (and other Playstation exclusives) and Halo (and other Xbox exclusives) are just as illegible as they were before and always will be.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I have no issues with a character making it in with no previous appearance on Nintendo consoles but I do feel like having a major presence on the platform at some point in the past should give them an edge. I personally don’t really count random cameo appearances in a game as true representation on a console. I think these characters should still be eligible as any other video game character but I don’t believe such a minor appearance should factor in very much. I think the main reason for that criteria is that Nintendo fans would be more familiar with a series or character. I don’t think anyone is basing their love of Master Chief on his skin in Minecraft for example.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically until we get a full blown newcomer popping up in Smash that one can't even find technicalities for in regards to Nintendo console appearance (a Sly Cooper, Regina from Dino Crisis, Gordon Freeman ,etc) there will always be a segment that assumes that being on a Nintendo system is a must, even if that idea has become muddled. The like of Persona Q2 and Chain of Memories/Theatrhythm seem irrelevant... but their existence is doing to be perpetually pointed to, fairly or unfairly.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Realistically until we get a full blown newcomer popping up in Smash that one can't even find technicalities for in regards to Nintendo console appearance (a Sly Cooper, Regina from Dino Crisis, Gordon Freeman ,etc) there will always be a segment that assumes that being on a Nintendo system is a must, even if that idea has become muddled. The like of Persona Q2 and Chain of Memories/Theatrhythm seem irrelevant... but their existence is doing to be perpetually pointed to, fairly or unfairly.
You act like Persona Q2 isn't that big of a deal when the whole reason those games exist is as a celebration of the modern Persona games and Q2 specifically is marketed primarily through the Persona 5 cast.

For the record, Cloud actually appeared in more than just KH beforehand. He's in Theatrythm Final Fantasy, but even if you wanna argue that's just a skin, he also appeared in a Final Fantasy spinoff on the 3Ds around the same time that he got added (iirc it released about a week before he did in Smash).

Iirc he also is a secret character in FF Tactics on GBA but I could be wrong about that

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Not sure if we're gonna go nine years or more between Smash releases

Also if choosing a character based on the anime results in choosing a character that doesn't promote the newest gen (at that time), I don't think it's gonna happen. Because it's not about reflecting the anime, it's about pushing the newest games.
Yeah but at the same time Pikachu is the mascot, so if they want to push Weed Cat in a similar way then I could easily see it getting into Smash. Also games take time to develop and the YouTube Channel is making it very obvious Sakurai is currently inbetween projects, so if a Smash Game were to be in development for the next console then Sakurai isn’t going to be involved. We won’t know for a bit, but considering the DLC the Gap is more so 6 years between 2021 and 2027.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh I really do need to pull the Sakurai quote about Cloud up huh, and allow me to highlight two important parts

I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.
1. "Might" is not a word that commits either way towards whether a Nintendo appearance is even needed.

2. "Any form" would indeed include skins and the like in crossover games.

Most Smash fans couldn't tell you anything about those games except that they're on a Nintendo system and they only know that after the characters in those games even got in. I can assure you that a niche spin-off that didn't even get the English VAs in (a blessing in disguise considering Junpei and Aigis tbh) for when it eventually released in the west did not have much, if any, impact on Joker getting added.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I was thinking about it. This October marks the last major update for Ultimate with Sora and December marks the last minor update for Ultimate in 2 years. I do have to wonder if Sakurai would be ready to take the plunge after a, general, 2 year vacation. Obviously he’s still doing his YouTube thing and that’s great but I do wonder if he’s ready to dive back in.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The truth about skins/appearances is we don't definitively know about either.

In my opinion it's likely that skins are sufficient to count. In my opinion it's likely that having no appearances (including skins) on a Nintendo system may not be entirely prohibitive for Smash, but I do think it would give Sakurai pause and perhaps prompt Executive With Glasses to come and convince him. But those are just my guesses.

We've had neither actually materialize into a character, and we have statements that throw things into question a bit, so the best we can actually empirically deduce at this point is that... we can't conclusively say it's impossible... so we shouldn't outright take it off the table.

But it'd be smart to not act like it's a foregone conclusion that it can happen either. We have to be content with maybe.

Though, as I've said before, if a non-skin appearance is required, it really doesn't block too many characters. The main one is Master Chief, now that Nier Automata got its port. The other one is LoL. Which has a spin-off, so the IP is there, but the likeliest character, Jinx, isn't in it. Though she (and Chief) both have Fortnite skins. And Wild Rift is still allegedly planned for Switch, so... in theory that whole cast will be there eventually.

Hopefully the successor can finally bring about those Halo games and put this longtime question (basically) to rest. And also because Halo on Nintendo.

Because let's be honest, a Sony character isn't happening anyway. Sony and Nintendo just aren't there. And Valve characters (Portal aside) would seem a massive dark horse even with appearances.

Edit: I suppose another would be Genshin Impact. Though that, like LoL, has a supposed Switch release. However, while I don't think that will actually happen, I do think it will show up on the successor.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can’t claim to be able to read anyone’s mind but I have a hard time in seeing the logic in counting minor cameos or skins from another game towards representation on Nintendo platforms. I guess for me, it’s an argument between a technicality and what I feel is the intended spirit of the restriction.

The way I see it, the only real purpose for limiting to characters who have had an appearance on Nintendo consoles is so that the fanbase would be more familiar with them. A character having a skin or minor cameo doesn’t really do much to help in that regard. The other reason is to celebrate Nintendo’s history and popular first and third party characters and franchises on their platform. If a character is commonly associated with Nintendo, like Mega Man, Banjo or Simon, I would imagine that would help their odds despite being third party.

There’s nothing wrong with branching out to characters who aren’t associated with Nintendo like Master Chief or Kratos if enough people are interested in them. I’m just having a hard time imagining a scenario where a character has a ton of support and the main thing that determines whether they make it is whether they had a skin in Minecraft. That just feels like a mostly unnecessary restriction at that point.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Great so then everyone's in agreement that Sans, Cuphead, Shantae, Vault Boy, Ezio, Travis, Dante, and Doom Slayer are all in Smash officially and fully then?

Even if you wanted to use Fortnite as an example of Nintendo appearance, that doesn't change the fact that every fighter in Smash had to at minimum have their game series show up on a Nintendo console first (and frankly, every other character showed up in their game series on Nintendo first before being added.)

So God of War (and other Playstation exclusives) and Halo (and other Xbox exclusives) are just as illegible as they were before and always will be.
This is a very stupid point of comparison and an example of arguing in bad faith. Smash itself makes a clear line between characters and Mii costumes. Fortnite has no such difference between the likes of Jonesy and Peely vs Kratos and Master Chief. Hell, some of the licensed characters are even critical to Fortnite's own lore.

As was pointed out, the closer example would be Alph and the Koopalings. And yes, they're playable in Smash.

No sane person is ever going to believe Persona Q 2 magically made Sakurai go, "Wowee! Now I can FINALLY add Joker!" That's stupid. It's so embarrassingly stupid, and clearly detached from the reality: that Sakurai wanted to add content from Persona 5. Note the complete lack of Q references in Smash.

You're very clearly just trying to move the goal posts because you, personally, don't want Kratos and Master Chief in the realm of discussion, and it's plain for all to see.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I can’t claim to be able to read anyone’s mind but I have a hard time in seeing the logic in counting minor cameos or skins from another game towards representation on Nintendo platforms. I guess for me, it’s an argument between a technicality and what I feel is the intended spirit of the restriction.

The way I see it, the only real purpose for limiting to characters who have had an appearance on Nintendo consoles is so that the fanbase would be more familiar with them. A character having a skin or minor cameo doesn’t really do much to help in that regard. The other reason is to celebrate Nintendo’s history and popular first and third party characters and franchises on their platform. If a character is commonly associated with Nintendo, like Mega Man, Banjo or Simon, I would imagine that would help their odds despite being third party.

There’s nothing wrong with branching out to characters who aren’t associated with Nintendo like Master Chief or Kratos if enough people are interested in them. I’m just having a hard time imagining a scenario where a character has a ton of support and the main thing that determines whether they make it is whether they had a skin in Minecraft. That just feels like a mostly unnecessary restriction at that point.
Well it is basically a technicality. It feels like a vestige of an earlier mentality about Smash. Because if you think about why a character couldn't be included if they didn't have a Nintendo appearance, it would boil down to "because this is a Nintendo-oriented game".

Which would be more defensible if they didn't add characters like Joker, Terry, Kazuya, etc. Sure these characters have made appearances on Nintendo systems (though some are pretty minor or in low-profile games), but they aren't Nintendo associated characters. Like, clearly not all additions are made to appeal to the Nintendo fanbase. People didn't even know who Terry was. So less familiarity among the audience isn't totally prohibitive.

So it does seem like the restriction is "because Nintendo", but that's not a line of thinking that applies to every inclusion so far, so it seems a little superfluous at this point. It seems like a rule for the sake of itself. Especially because the characters that would skirt it are like... Master Chief, who, ironically, is better known by Nintendo fans than some of the third-parties we've received, and certainly more than some that are suggested, despite their Nintendo appearances.

The other reason is to celebrate Nintendo’s history and popular first and third party characters and franchises on their platform. If a character is commonly associated with Nintendo, like Mega Man, Banjo or Simon, I would imagine that would help their odds despite being third party.
Though if you think about it, all those characters get in due to fan demand, not because Nintendo just landed on them.

The majority, ones that just get chosen seemingly more randomly, have no consistent level of Nintendo association. In fact, overall, it's much more tenuous than the fanbase picks. So for the fanbase pick, Nintendo association, indirectly, helped. But even now the most popular choices like Crash, Chief, Dante, etc. aren't exactly like those which came before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It’s not really about support in itself. The character made a guest appearance on a Nintendo system. This simply means that Nintendo and the other company(s) are easier to get to negotiate again for said character usage.

It means they’re eligible in the fans’ eyes(keeping in mind that having a Nintendo appearance is more of a courtesy, not a requirement). Sakurai hasn’t been that clear on what really counts for eligibility besides being from a video game franchise, at least in context of third parties(and that came up later, as someone like James Bond had minor consideration).

My computer’s broke and I’m on mobile, so it’s hard to reply.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Btw, there's a claim that the potentially impending Direct has a SNES remake in it, and that remake is of SMRPG.

The leaker doesn't have a lot of history, but has gotten things correct recently.

He also straight up leaked a Pokemon pre-S/V, so... clearly has some sources.

Anyway, he also tweeted a pic of beeg yoshi from SMRPG, and has been liking tweets suggesting that to be the game in question.

So if this comes to fruition... I'm thrilled about getting a SMRPG remake, I'm genuinely happy for the Geno fans, and I'm filled with nothing less than abject, unbridled dread over the prospect of future Geno discourse.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Btw, there's a claim that the potentially impending Direct has a SNES remake in it, and that remake is of SMRPG.

The leaker doesn't have a lot of history, but has gotten things correct recently.

Anyway, he also tweeted a pic of beeg yoshi from SMRPG, and has been liking tweets suggesting that to be the game in question.

So if this comes to fruition... I'm thrilled about getting a SMRPG remake, I'm genuinely happy for the Geno fans, and I'm filled with nothing less than abject, unbridled dread over the prospect of future Geno discourse.

That sounds exciting if this is true! I don't think that could be enough to get Geno in the next Smash Bros., but I welcome this all the way!

I wonder of Geno and other characters will get voices, or at least grunts and other noises?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
That sounds exciting if this is true! I don't think that could be enough to get Geno in the next Smash Bros., but I welcome this all the way!
I don't know, but he would have more in his favor than any time before, which would further intensify his popularity.

My only hope is that that influx is handled as tactfully as the K. Rool fans did. And not... y'know...

Though, being fair, most of the biggest fanbases do, at some point, become difficult to deal with. It wasn't just one.

I wonder of Geno and other characters will get voices, or at least grunts and other noises?
Really depends on budget and direction. I mean, I really really doubt there will be full VA, but grunts and exclamations, maybe.

I'm honestly betting that if SNES Remake rumor is true, its FE4 or Chrono Trigger, but I'll go nuts if it is indeed Mario RPG.

A fully orchestrated Yoko Shimomura soundtrack would be the dream.
Well FE4 would seemingly make sense, it having been rumored for so long.

And Chrono Trigger also would be plausible given Square's HD-2D line. Also another insider brought up the prospect of it being Chrono Trigger, though I think he was just speculating.

But this leaker in question (Pyoro_ND) seems to be hinting at SMRPG.

Luckily, this one seems like it'll be resolved sooner than later.

-----

Oh and I suppose I should just add this, though idk how much it's worth. Nothing against the source, I think he's a nice dude who typically means well, but, not exactly unbiased or with a fantastic track record.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know, but he would have more in his favor than any time before, which would further intensify his popularity.

My only hope is that that influx is handled as tactfully as the K. Rool fans did. And not... y'know...

Though, being fair, most of the biggest fanbases do, at some point, become difficult to deal with. It wasn't just one.

Really depends on budget and direction. I mean, I really really doubt there will be full VA, but grunts and exclamations, maybe.

Well FE4 would seemingly make sense, it having been rumored for so long.

And Chrono Trigger also would be plausible given Square's HD-2D line. Also another insider brought up the prospect of it being Chrono Trigger, though I think he was just speculating.

But this leaker in question (Pyoro_ND) seems to be hinting at SMRPG.

Luckily, this one seems like it'll be resolved sooner than later.

-----

Oh and I suppose I should just add this, though idk how much it's worth. Nothing against the source, I think he's a nice dude who typically means well, but, not exactly unbiased or with a fantastic track record.
Yeah, I am betting grunts and exclamations as well instead of actual voice acting.

But seriously, I can only wonder how Geno fans would react if he is not in the next Smash Bros. game, in base or DLC, even if the rumor of Super Mario RPG getting a remake is true.

Either way, whatever happens in the next Smash Bros. game, this possible remake will get a lot of fans' hopes up real high, don't you think?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah, I am betting grunts and exclamations as well instead of actual voice acting.

But seriously, I can only wonder how Geno fans would react if he is not in the next Smash Bros. game, in base or DLC, even if the rumor of Super Mario RPG getting a remake is true.

Either way, whatever happens in the next Smash Bros. game, this possible remake will get a lot of fans' hopes up real high, don't you think?
Yes this would definitely raise hopes. And that wouldn't be the most unreasonable reaction, tbf. Not to say it would definitely pan out, but if you're a fanbase that usually gets nothing in terms of positive developments, something like this, even as just a remake, is substantial. Relatively speaking, of course.

As it would be if that speculated Golden Sun remake ends up happening. Or even the Xenosaga one.

Even the Advance Wars remake was overall a plus, it's just that Andy wasn't at the same place fanbase-wise as Geno or Isaac. And that game had a very rocky path, which undercut it, somewhat.

But yes, they'd react poorly if it didn't result in playability. Conceptually, that's understandable. It just depends on the degree. However, that's so abstract and distant right now, there are probably better things to dwell on.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I just thought of something, if a Nintendo Cinematic Universe is made by Universal Pictures, Illumination and of course Nintendo, as they plan to do it, but is there any chance that they will also make a Pokémon movie? I know it's about Pokémon, it's just a little unusual to think of a Pokémon movie as animation and not anime, but then again maybe not so much judging by the live-action Pokémon movie Detective Pikachu where the Pokémon were like is known to be designed by CGI.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly as someone that loves the aesthetics and feel of Mario RPG, it getting such a prominent spotlight via remake is almost as good to me as Geno getting in Smash, doubly so if a remake might lead to a hypothetical sequel down the road. Half the reason I wanted Geno in SSB was because I wanted Seven Stars permantently enshrined beyond its SNES status, and getting a full blown re-imagining on Smash fulfills that and more.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yes this would definitely raise hopes. And that wouldn't be the most unreasonable reaction, tbf. Not to say it would definitely pan out, but if you're a fanbase that usually gets nothing in terms of positive developments, something like this, even as just a remake, is substantial. Relatively speaking, of course.

As it would be if that speculated Golden Sun remake ends up happening. Or even the Xenosaga one.

Even the Advance Wars remake was overall a plus, it's just that Andy wasn't at the same place fanbase-wise as Geno or Isaac. And that game had a very rocky path, which undercut it, somewhat.

But yes, they'd react poorly if it didn't result in playability. Conceptually, that's understandable. It's just depends on the degree. However, that's so abstract and distant right now, there are probably better things to dwell on.
I am not so sure if they will learn from what happened the last time. Not to say that they are dumb, at all, but some things just repeat in history, history repeating itself, you know.

On the topic of Geno, I remember the Geno fans had an overhyped "list" of why Geno would get into Smash Bros. Ultimate. I do hate to bring this up, but I knew that list was not as reliable as they made it out to be, and I was wondering, if anyone remembers anything from that list, what was wrong with that list?

On a side note, I would love to see Isaac get into the next Smash Bros. game as a playable.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For now I'm not getting my hopes too high for a Mario rpg remake. We had plenty of random Twitter leaker getting a lot of stuff rights and when they start getting famous they just throw random stuff. I mean, why did I never heard of this dude before despite apparently getting a lots right in the past? This just seems fishy.

If it does happen though, I'll be very happy and it would probably be a huge boost for Geno in Smash for the next game.

(Personally I want more news on DQ 3 remake tho).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For now I'm not getting my hopes too high for a Mario rpg remake. We had plenty of random Twitter leaker getting a lot of stuff rights and when they start getting famous they just throw random stuff. I mean, why did I never heard of this dude before despite apparently getting a lots right in the past? This just seems fishy.

If it does happen though, I'll be very happy and it would probably be a huge boost for Geno in Smash for the next game.

(Personally I want more news on DQ 3 remake tho).
A wise choice. I am personally not sure if this will turn out to be a Mario RPG remake.

I just noticed, by the way, the Mario RPG remake, if true, could be releasing before the next console gets announced or comes out, much like the original Super Mario RPG itself.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would definitely buy a SMRPG remake because I really enjoyed the original but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t prefer Chrono Trigger. The 2D-HD aesthetic would fit CT well but if I had my choice I’d love to see something a bit more ambitious with graphics similar to Dragon Ball Fighter Z. For the 2D-HD approach, I think Final Fantasy VI would be perfect. I think a claymation style would fit really well for Super Mario RPG. The original game’s graphics almost look like they were going for that style but didn’t quite get there due to hardware limitations. I could be way off though. Whether it’s SMRPG, CT, or FFVI, I’d be pretty hyped and probably buy any of them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The Super Smash Bros. series as it is known, is always an opportunity for any video game character to be recognized.
You've got that right! I mean, something else like a remake of a game always helps, but if the character that people want from even the most obscure of games has not gotten in another game for a long time before a Smash Bros. game comes along, Smash can still make such characters known well to people on its own.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I heard it was gonna be a Chrono Trigger remake, but I guess SMRPG is also possible.

Wonder if it would finally convince Nintendo to go "screw it" and just take the original SMRPG stuff, since its been such a hassle...

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The rumor I read was for "a new 2d Mario adventure" and a remake of Chrono Trigger.

This
Right, this takes the claim (which was both a 2d Mario and a SNES remake in the Direct - I only raised the latter since I was talking about something potentially Smash-related), and then uses one of Zippo's claims to fill in the SNES game. The original leaker (Pyoro) hasn't suggested it's Chrono Trigger.

I mean, it could be. But this is mixing two separate claims from two separate people together.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It should be noted that Zippo is notorious for being full of ****. On a good day they'll still be off the mark in some form because they embellish lots of details.

Top Bottom