• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The new 2D Mario is the thing that has me thinking. I would have bet money on one being the launch title for the Switch 2 or whatever, but getting one now means that that's off the table. I have no idea what the launch title will be now - maybe a new 3D Mario, but that doesn't feel right.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The new 2D Mario is the thing that has me thinking. I would have bet money on one being the launch title for the Switch 2 or whatever, but getting one now means that that's off the table. I have no idea what the launch title will be now - maybe a new 3D Mario, but that doesn't feel right.
The MK and Odyssey teams both have games far in development. Neither has run lead on a game since 2017, other than a mobile game. Either could be plausible as launch titles, and one probably will be.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright, so someone says a Super Mario RPG remake is being made, but someone else here says they saw it was a Chrono Trigger remake, and Zippo, a not so reliable leaker was involved in this.

Can someone please explain what is going on? I ask because I am confused. Also, how involved is Zippo in this?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Alright, so someone says a Super Mario RPG remake is being made, but someone else here says they saw it was a Chrono Trigger remake, and Zippo, a not so reliable leaker was involved in this.

Can someone please explain what is going on? I ask because I am confused. Also, how involved is Zippo in this?
The rumor claims that there is an upcoming Nintendo Direct that would showcase a new 2D Mario game and a remake of a fondly remembered SNES classic. It appears that the sources are confused as to what SNES game is being remade. It appears that some sources have combined the two statements together and believe that the new 2D Mario game and the SNES game remake are actually the same game, which led people to thinking that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is getting a remake. Notably Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is the only game that is on the SNES Classic that is not currently on NSO.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
What does Mortal Kombat has to do with? :4pacman:
Netherrealm was inspired by Ubisoft Milan's success. Went to go pitch to Nintendo

Mortal Kombat vs Mushroom Kingdom gonna be a launch window title

They were skeptical at first, but Miyamoto was impressed when Peach's spine was exactly as he envisioned it looking after Sub-Zero ripped her head off.

Nintendo's only demands were to work in HD rumble when you dismember anyone, so you can really feel the lacerations, and to make the online matchmaking worse

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The rumor claims that there is an upcoming Nintendo Direct that would showcase a new 2D Mario game and a remake of a fondly remembered SNES classic. It appears that the sources are confused as to what SNES game is being remade. It appears that some sources have combined the two statements together and believe that the new 2D Mario game and the SNES game remake are actually the same game, which led people to thinking that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is getting a remake. Notably Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is the only game that is on the SNES Classic that is not currently on NSO.
It seems there is just confusion as to what the possible remake is, and that is causing me to think it is not Super Mario RPG.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It appears that some sources have combined the two statements together and believe that the new 2D Mario game and the SNES game remake are actually the same game, which led people to thinking that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is getting a remake.
Which sources are these

It seems there is just confusion as to what the possible remake is, and that is causing me to think it is not Super Mario RPG.
The person who started the claim is hinting towards SMRPG

Zippo, who isn't particularly reliable, has said there is a Chrono Trigger remake being made, HD 2D style. He hasn't claimed it is this specific SNES remake. He hasn't said it will definitely show up in the direct.

FE4 has also been rumored for a long time, but no insider has tied it to this.

Those seem like the main options.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Which sources are these

Zippo, who isn't particularly reliable, has said there is a Chrono Trigger remake being made, HD 2D style. He hasn't claimed it is this specific SNES remake. He hasn't said it will definitely show up in the direct.

Okay, thanks for explaining, dream1ng.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Which sources are these

Plot twist: Nintendo bought the rights to Plok, and now they're publishing it internationally like they originally planned.

Okay, I MAY have watched Nitro Rad's video on Plok from awhile back...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This is a very stupid point of comparison and an example of arguing in bad faith. Smash itself makes a clear line between characters and Mii costumes. Fortnite has no such difference between the likes of Jonesy and Peely vs Kratos and Master Chief. Hell, some of the licensed characters are even critical to Fortnite's own lore.

As was pointed out, the closer example would be Alph and the Koopalings. And yes, they're playable in Smash.

No sane person is ever going to believe Persona Q 2 magically made Sakurai go, "Wowee! Now I can FINALLY add Joker!" That's stupid. It's so embarrassingly stupid, and clearly detached from the reality: that Sakurai wanted to add content from Persona 5. Note the complete lack of Q references in Smash.

You're very clearly just trying to move the goal posts because you, personally, don't want Kratos and Master Chief in the realm of discussion, and it's plain for all to see.
Find me an example of a character getting in Smash before their series was on a Nintendo console, then we can talk about Kratos and Master Chief.

You can't, because those characters don't exist. It is in fact, an undeniable fact, that those characters had a Nintendo appearance before being added, every single time. Whether you want to believe it, Nintendo is not going to shell out money to include characters that actively contribute to an actual console rival (Sony) or for game characters that don't have a presence on their systems and thus they can't make anything off of. You know what green marine actually did get something in Smash? The one who has a presence on Nintendo consoles and has had it since the beginning of their existence, with 5 games on Switch they can make money on.

There is no goal post to move because it's already and always has been firmly planted, The fact Sakurai even said "might have had misgivings" shows that he had a shred of doubt about it in the first place. Sakurai (and more importantly Nintendo, who approves the fighter roster) are going to want to sell to people who already own the system and promote characters with a presence on their platform. The reason that Steve and Banjo were chosen was 1. due to the ballot which they both clearly did well on, and 2. because Minecraft is the biggest thing on the planet and has been around the last 3 Nintendo systems and does numbers regardless of what it's in (and in the case of Banjo, his core audience came from Nintendo hardcores, even if his games were Xbox exclusives for awhile - oh, and look at that, soon afterward they nabbed his game for their 30 dollar expansion pass).

And for the record, I love a lot of Playstation franchises. Sly Cooper is a personal favorite, and Ghost of Tsushima is one of my GOATs. But I'm not deluding myself into believing they have a chance at all. When Sony exits the console market, then we'll start getting Playstation owned fighters.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Joker only had one game on Nintendo when he joined smash.

Awkwardly when he was ANNOUNCED for smash said game wasnt released yet.
Yeah, it was. It was already released in Japan by the time he was announced for Ultimate.

Master chief and Kratos are both playable in fortnite.
Not really. Technically, they're skins.

Oh I really do need to pull the Sakurai quote about Cloud up huh, and allow me to highlight two important parts
1. "Might" is not a word that commits either way towards whether a Nintendo appearance is even needed.
Actually, it shows that having an appearance on a Nintendo console is more important that you seem to think. Otherwise, he wouldn't have said that in the first place.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they're going to go through the effort of changing the animations and appearance of the moves, they very well could just go a bit further and make them different moves in general. I feel like this half n half approach is probably the worst of both worlds.
It's what happened with Pit. Also Roy if you consider he was a full clone before his reappearance in Smash 4 as DLC.

I honestly don't expect a full overhaul especially since the Smash 4 changes where already significant enough for us to be satsified with him.

So honestly, I do expect a small overhaul like this , not a full one. I think a separate Ganondorf as semi clone and a TotK Ganondorf as separate character is a worse idea.

Save the newcomer hype for Impa :D

SNES remake? I pray it's Donkey Kong Country or Super Metroid before these. I'd also prefer Earthbound being remade over SMRPG.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Definitely excited to hear rumors of a Direct and SMRPG remake! It'll be a dream come true for me if we get both! If we get a Direct and a remake of a different game, that's still exciting, especially for fans of whichever game it ends up being. If we get nothing, I'll be a bit bummed, but such is the nature with rumors and leaks. Always gotta take em with a grain of salt.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I'm really gunning for Super Mario RPG.

I still own the original on the Wii U and is a blast but SMRPG and it's cast have been on sidelines for far, FAR too long.

Now would be a perfect time to it back to the spotlight especially now there is no mainline Mario JRPG currently with PM going a new direction since 2008 and M&L now defunct. And also a good double dip.

Anything to end this stale "Geno/Mallow is a party member from one game 20 years ago" is definitely sits well with me.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm really gunning for Super Mario RPG.

I still own the original on the Wii U and is a blast but SMRPG and it's cast have been on sidelines for far, FAR too long.

Now would be a perfect time to it back to the spotlight especially now there is no mainline Mario JRPG currently with PM going a new direction since 2008 and M&L now defunct. And also a good double dip.

Anything to end this stale "Geno/Mallow is a party member from one game 20 years ago" is definitely sits well with me.
I feel the same way. Anything to get Geno and Mallow in the spotlight again; I just love them so much! And it would increase their chances for Smash, a cameo if future Mario movies get made, or playable in something else like Mario Kart or Party or a sports game. Or maybe even bigger things like a sizable role in a Mario movie or a SMRPG2!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

SPEN18

Smash Champion
SNES remake? I pray it's Donkey Kong Country or Super Metroid before these. I'd also prefer Earthbound being remade over SMRPG.
Yeah I'd also rather have one of the three games you listed over SMRPG or Chrono Trigger. Though FE4 would be great, even if not exactly unexpected.

At least I guess we won't have to be hearing about these rumors for long.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I would be absolutely shocked and excited if they announced an Earthbound remake, although I would prefer if Earthbound Beginnings was remade instead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's what happened with Pit. Also Roy if you consider he was a full clone before his reappearance in Smash 4 as DLC.

I honestly don't expect a full overhaul especially since the Smash 4 changes where already significant enough for us to be satsified with him.

So honestly, I do expect a small overhaul like this , not a full one. I think a separate Ganondorf as semi clone and a TotK Ganondorf as separate character is a worse idea.

Save the newcomer hype for Impa :D

I think a remake of the DKC trilogy with full 3D graphics similar to Tropical Freeze could be a lot of fun. I’m in the minority that still thinks the SNES games look great but it would be fun to see them reimagined in the style of the modern games. DKC 2 in particular is one of my favorite games of all time so I’d love to see it and the franchise as a whole again.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just in case, here's my bingo card:
FE4 remake teaser​
Tears of the Kingdom DLC​
New mainline Mario​
Project X Zone 3​
SMRPG​
Metroid Prime 4​
New Mario regardless​
Kid Icarus​
SSBU re-release​
More NSO stuff​
New Donkey Kong​
Sora amiibo​
FREE SPACE
FOR MEMES
Rayman gameplay in Sparks of Hope​
ARMS 2​
Pikmin 4​
Trails in the Sky HD​
Dragalia Lost for Switch​
Native KH ports​
Another Nintendo movie​
Licensed games​
Indies​
3rd party sizzle reel​
Hints towards Nintendo's next console​
Gen 9 DLC​

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I'm more interested in the rumor about a new 2D Mario game. I always preferred them over the 3D games.

Of course, I'd LOVE to hear something Smash related too.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well... in Brawhalla, he is a full character, not a ****ing skin if you really want to play pendatic.
From what I’ve seen, the guests in Brawlhala are usually skins of existing characters. I’ve only played a bit to try the WWE wrestlers but I remember them being identical to particular existing characters in terms of gameplay.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speaking realistically, Smash Bros's next installment won't appear until Nintendo's next console. So, seeing and/or hearing people speaking about "leaks" is mostly pulling one's leg until proven otherwise.
1000008112.jpg

For the Direct, here's what I can think.
Pikmin 4 info is more on wrapping up before July 21 weeks away.
Xenoblade 3 is finished, so I doubt another sequel will be ready for preview.
Metroid Prime 4 may or may not appear since Retro Studios could show Metroid Prime 2 Echoes remastered preview.
Might show more games being delivered to the NSO. IDK what titles are showing up.
IDK what's the next big game title that Nintendo will hype up for the upcoming year.
I got nothing for anything else.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I think we can expect at least a few new things here, mostly due to just how barren the rest of the Switch release schedule is for the rest of 2023. There's the Scarlet and Violet DLC later this year, Pikmin 4 releasing within a month, Everybody 1-2 Switch which not even Nintendo is excited about, and then like...nothing. Metroid Prime 4 is still very much a question mark, and beyond that all we really have is the horribly-kept-secret that is a Genealogy of the Holy War remake that's releasing for the Switch at some point.

Tomorrow's Direct should give us a bit more to work with, especially since we have no idea what the holiday 2023 lineup looks like beyond the Scarlet and Violet DLC.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, I want a new 3D Mario, and we are well overdue for one, but I just can't see the next system launching with one. It's just a gut feeling, there's nothing pointing towards or against it.
Well, realistically, it's either gonna be that or Mario Kart.

I would be absolutely shocked and excited if they announced an Earthbound remake, although I would prefer if Earthbound Beginnings was remade instead.
I think it'd probably be Mother 3, if any were getting remade. They can alter the content that's allegedly keeping it from releasing, and finally give people the game they've been asking for for like 15 years.

I’m in the minority that still thinks the SNES games look great but it would be fun to see them reimagined in the style of the modern games.
They really do still look great. I wasn't aware that was a minority opinion.
I don't think it is. 16 and, especially 32-bit (sprite) games hold up very well, visually. For the most part. They don't make a game look current, and now they can be a little costlier if done properly, which is why the big companies generally don't do them anymore, but they age much closer to wine than milk.

No coincidence like half of all indie games go for the pixel art look.

Only Smash fans could get so weirdly pedantic about skins in a video game.

Speaking realistically, Smash Bros's next installment won't appear until Nintendo's next console. So, seeing and/or hearing people speaking about "leaks" is mostly pulling one's leg until proven otherwise.
For Smash? I don't think anyone is talking about Smash leaks right now.

But... there are other games out there.

IDK what's the next big game title that Nintendo will hype up for the upcoming year.
You've got to ask how many big games the Switch has left past this year. Next year will probably be when the next system releases.

MP4 will probably release next year. I wonder if it will be cross-gen. If so, the marketing will probably be geared towards the successor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom