• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Pretty sure that's Princess Peach and she's in the game

That's because usually the reason why do so. Doesn't do you favors when one of main reason for wanting Chun-Li is because she's the "THE female in video games" when even then is arguable

I would if Sonic's representation wasn't in the gutter. Look, say what you want about Street Fighter's current rep but since their inclusion Street Fighter at least got 2 characters that didn't aesthetically get worse overtime, a good stage and decent to good music selections with quality remixes.

Definitely can't say the same for Sonic. Not even an echo. Heck one of his unique music from Rush got removed from Brawl. Nothing.

You say that as if the feeling isn't mutual. Ask a FGC member what they think about Smash and generally there won't exactly anything good to be said. I mean what do you expect of from audiences from different games from different genres( yes, i mean that last part). It isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Im pretty sure the Rush song got removed because Sega has beef with it's composer, so it was out of Nintendo's control

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Also that quote above with "lopsided regional recognition"...did Terry Bogard teach you guys nothing?
I've got complicated feelings about this. The way I decipher it boils down to how much effort is made to make a series accessible in other regions. Dragon Quest is one that people point to a lot for example, but DQ has been around and properly localized for much of my life. It wasn't some unknown out here, but it never reached the heights that it did in Japan. Fatal Fury is gonna be on the more niche side for a lot of people, but all of those games were available on the eshop. It's easy to point someone toward them if they want to check out what Terry is all about.

I think this isn't a major issue for many popular requests. Puyo Puyo and Halo, both fairly obscure on opposite ends of the spectrum, but both have a rich history to sell audiences on and are at least getting consistent releases in both hemispheres. Touhou is a series I've always felt some reservations about being in Smash, because most of its official releases are relied on fans to make accessible to foreign players. It has a very unique, DIY sort of dynamic with its community so it's kind of an odd case, but I just wanted to use it to highlight a series that has not been granted many direct efforts to localize and make accessible across the globe. So it might be harder to sell an audience on a character like that if there is no official / "legal" means of purchase to point toward.

And then after all, we do have some direct precedent from Sakurai for passing on Takamaru because he didn't believe western audiences knew about him. So it's a little inconsistent, particularly since Murasame Castle was made available for the first time to western players on Virtual Console soon after (or during the release window for) Smash 4. I guess a major third party property is probably being judged on different standards than one Nintendo game from 1986.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly Sakurai and company strike me as developers very aware of regional popularity and being careful not to go too extreme in either direction. The inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee has become an outlier in hindsight and its telling that both Hero and Banjo-Kazooie were both about as far as regional directed inclusions went; one from a series that had almost all its mainline entries localized in the East and the other well-known even in Japan if just for being so beloved in the West. If Terry Bogard is a lopsided choice its only because he more appeals to traditional fighting game fans than any one geographic region, largely because Fatal Fury and King of Fighters didn't quite break out into popular culture the same way Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat did.

If anything its certain first party selections like Little Mac and Ridley which stand out as being so entirely directed towards a Western audience that their inclusion as base game content gave them a safer status than they would as DLC characters that might actually struggle a bit to the Japanese market that never embraced Punch Out and Metroid like other regions did.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a huge Sonic fan, I have to say Sonic fans have to stop thinking that Sonic's representation is bad. It's better than a majority of the third AND first parties.

I can't count the tracks in one hand like Punch Out!!. It actually got new content, unlike Kid Icarus. It has representation for the entire series unlike Final Fantasy or Street Fighter. It didn't get straight up removed like Metal Gear did.

Sonic as a whole is fine. His moveset being bad is an issue of design, not representation. Sonic being "overdue" for another character is silly considering we just started getting second characters from third party franchises in Ultimate, and only one of those was unique. The stages aren't great? Green Hill Zone is fine, and Windy Hill Zone is a great stage from Lost World (the most recent game at the time, Sonic even got preferential treatment in Smash 4 by getting a stage from a recent entry). No remixes? Blame SEGA, not Smash. There's a lot of copyright issues with Sonic music.

I won't say no, to more Sonic content. But as a whole, the franchise has fair representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pretty sure that's Princess Peach and she's in the game
Alright, and then who? Arguable as it may be regarding who is on the very top, you'd be lying if you didn't put Chun-Li somewhere among the top 3 or 4.

That's because usually the reason why do so. Doesn't do you favors when one of main reason for wanting Chun-Li is because she's the "THE female in video games" when even then is arguable
I was responding to the post suggesting Chun-Li won't just get in because she's a woman, which nobody else in the thread said was the sole reason she would be in. I gave about a dozen other reasons why Chun-Li is a good choice so no I don't feel like I've shot myself in the foot by saying, in addition to that, how she is one of the most important female characters in gaming. You can cut out the female part and it would still be true.

I would if Sonic's representation wasn't in the gutter. Look, say what you want about Street Fighter's current rep but since their inclusion Street Fighter at least got 2 characters that didn't aesthetically get worse overtime, a good stage and decent to good music selections with quality remixes.
Two characters, sure. Good stage, debatable - it's kind of boring. Decent to good music selections, sure if you've only played Street Fighter II. The arrangements are solid, Vega's theme rules. I'm not saying Street Fighter necessarily has it worse than Sonic, I'm just saying people gotta stop acting like it's the only series with problems that need to be mended by more characters.

I won't really argue about this with you though, because you've clearly made up your mind about it and I've said everything I needed to say about this already. Also Sonic has two stages, more than most third parties, although you'll probably say something like they're too similar or whatever. I don't know, I want better for Sonic too, I just wish that conversation didn't start and end with everyone putting Sonic on a special pedestal that deserves the world.

You say that as if the feeling isn't mutual. Ask a FGC member what they think about Smash and generally there won't exactly anything good to be said. I mean what do you expect of from audiences from different games from different genres( yes, i mean that last part). It isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Don't even know how to respond to this, lol. You're in a thread right now with at least a dozen people who like both Smash and Street Fighter. Grow up with this playground rivalry garbage.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just think Sega's representation as a whole feels weird in smash.

They got 3 characters but only one was a "homegrown" Sega series, being Sonic.

You have Bayonetta which is this weird humonculus of Nintendo and Sega and Joker which is an Atlus thing.

It's why i want Yakuza in smash, this is their biggest series right now so it's perfect to be another Sega series.

Side note, going through Yakuza 5 right now, this game is a treasure trove of songs you can put in Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Windy Hill's problem is being another Green Hill when it could have been the snow area or the candy themed levels. But this is a problem that exists for Smash as a whole and isn't unique to Sonic at all.

And also, at least Sonic still has Green Hill. Pac-Man lost Pac-Maze and kept Pac-Land. I know why that's the case but it's still like... what are doing here man. Sonic's not in a great place overall but when you look at everything else, it could be so much worse in a multitude of ways.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pac-Man lost Pac-Maze and kept Pac-Land. I know why that's the case but it's still like... what are doing here man.
This is, no joke, the greatest travesty done to any series in Smash Bros. I know it sounds funny when I say that but I genuinely believe it to be true.

No other universe has lost such a crucial element of its identity outside of outright removing the character altogether. Pac Maze is one of the most iconic locations in video games period, and attached at the hip with Pac himself. Pac Land is cool (?) and all but it feels like Pac-Man's true home is still absent.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
At the very least, with Sephiroth having gotten in via DLC, all I wish is that Eggman had a similar treatment.
I think we just gotta wait and see this bear fruit next game. Sephiroth was presumably handled as a special case to increase the amount of FF7 content, but Ken and Richter were already steps in this direction as third party echo fighters. I can understand why it started and ended there for Ultimate.

The next step is getting true blue unique newcomers for established third party series on base roster, which in my opinion is just absolutely going to happen one way or another regardless of who it is. It's been a steady climb in that direction.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Speaking of dream matchups, which ones would you like to see?
Mine:
-Pikachu vs Agumon
-Mario vs Sonic vs Crash
-Link vs Samus vs Pit vs Takamaru
-Wario vs Tingle
-Snake vs Marco Rossi
-Dante vs. Bayonetta
-Mario and Luigi vs. Sonic and Tails (and/or Mario and Sonic vs. Bowser and Eggman)
-Wario vs. Bomberman
-Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash
-Pikachu vs. Agumon

Also, a dream team-up that I'd like to see would be Doomguy and Isabelle.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I just think Sega's representation as a whole feels weird in smash.

They got 3 characters but only one was a "homegrown" Sega series, being Sonic.

You have Bayonetta which is this weird humonculus of Nintendo and Sega and Joker which is an Atlus thing.

It's why i want Yakuza in smash, this is their biggest series right now so it's perfect to be another Sega series.

Side note, going through Yakuza 5 right now, this game is a treasure trove of songs you can put in Smash.
It's definitely something that often goes unsaid but bothers me quite a bit. They have one of the better showings in the game in terms of pure numbers, but one character is from an acquisition that still somewhat stands on its own, and the other is practically more associated with Nintendo at this point. I'm reading way too hard into things that aren't there, mind you, but it gives off really weird vibes to me, almost like SEGA's homegrown properties aren't "good enough" to be featured in a game like this and the only "worthwhile" picks are the ones that aren't actually made by them. Again, don't read into this too much, it's purely weird irrational vibes, but it does bother me. And like, that's not a knock on Bayo and Joker! Persona 5 is the biggest thing ever and Bayo is practically a honorary Nintendo character, but part of the reason the constant insistence that Sonic has to get tons more stuff right this second irritates me is that to me, Sonic is still the only SEGA character in Smash who actually feels like a SEGA character. I'd really like it if we got someone to remedy this one day, like Arle, Kiryu, Akira, Alis, whoever.

And I know what people will say - "oh but Puyo Puyo was an acquisition too, so why are you in support of Arle?" Yes. It was. But it also had very strong SEGA ties from the beginning, has been owned by SEGA for far longer than it has been owned by Compile, and has been developed entirely internally for almost as long. Puyo Puyo has pretty much been 100% entirely subsumed into being a part of the SEGA brand and family - **** it, I say it counts, it's basically a core SEGA property by this point.

I will say, to end things on a positive note.....I love that we at least have the Akira assist. Sakurai has gone on record as being a fan of classic SEGA stuff, particularly their arcade side, and while I'd obviously love to see a full playable character, I think this assist is his way of paying tribute to this side of their output - and it's a super inspired one, a great way of representing one of SEGA's most influential titles and the market where their biggest strengths lay. If nothing else, I'm really glad we have that one.

also, like, keep in mind that yes, I am a huge SEGA fanboy. I will be biased in my judgement of this situation.
I was responding to the post suggesting Chun-Li won't just get in because she's a woman, which nobody else in the thread said was the sole reason she would be in. I gave about a dozen other reasons why Chun-Li is a good choice so no I don't feel like I've shot myself in the foot by saying, in addition to that, how she is one of the most important female characters in gaming. You can cut out the female part and it would still be true.
Mmhmm, I think a core part of this argument people don't understand is that I don't think people would be arguing for more female characters if there wasn't still a huge wealth of great options to pull from. The argument that "it doesn't make sense to add a female character just because she's female" always has that connotation that we're somehow running out of options, or that we're starting to bring up unreasonable choices just to fill a quota, or that we're even discussing any character without merit - and needless to say, that argument doesn't hold much water when we're discussing Chun-goddamn-Li. If that's the threshold past which you find that people are going too far, then I think that says more about you than the people arguing for her. **** it, women are cool, I say we should put in more of them

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not for nothing but it's so messed up that a literal racial slur isn't autocensored on this site all while people need to tiptoe around naming "the cat from Shrek" or "the identity of Batman's first Robin."
My apologies, I was aw aware of a lot of racial things before, but I was not sure on at least how much esk-I mean, ahem, the E word would have been as an offensive term.

Then again, I was not sure what else to use as a word, other than possibly Native Americans.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It's definitely something that often goes unsaid but bothers me quite a bit. They have one of the better showings in the game in terms of pure numbers, but one character is from an acquisition that still somewhat stands on its own, and the other is practically more associated with Nintendo at this point. I'm reading way too hard into things that aren't there, mind you, but it gives off really weird vibes to me, almost like SEGA's homegrown properties aren't "good enough" to be featured in a game like this and the only "worthwhile" picks are the ones that aren't actually made by them. Again, don't read into this too much, it's purely weird irrational vibes, but it does bother me. And like, that's not a knock on Bayo and Joker! Persona 5 is the biggest thing ever and Bayo is practically a honorary Nintendo character, but part of the reason the constant insistence that Sonic has to get tons more stuff right this second irritates me is that to me, Sonic is still the only SEGA character in Smash who actually feels like a SEGA character. I'd really like it if we got someone to remedy this one day, like Arle, Kiryu, Akira, Alis, whoever.

And I know what people will say - "oh but Puyo Puyo was an acquisition too, so why are you in support of Arle?" Yes. It was. But it also had very strong SEGA ties from the beginning, has been owned by SEGA for far longer than it has been owned by Compile, and has been developed entirely internally for almost as long. Puyo Puyo has pretty much been 100% entirely subsumed into being a part of the SEGA brand and family - **** it, I say it counts, it's basically a core SEGA property by this point.

I will say, to end things on a positive note.....I love that we at least have the Akira assist. Sakurai has gone on record as being a fan of classic SEGA stuff, particularly their arcade side, and while I'd obviously love to see a full playable character, I think this assist is his way of paying tribute to this side of their output - and it's a super inspired one, a great way of representing one of SEGA's most influential titles and the market where their biggest strengths lay. If nothing else, I'm really glad we have that one.

also, like, keep in mind that yes, I am a huge SEGA fanboy. I will be biased in my judgement of this situation.
Yeah, Bayonetta and Joker are probably the last characters I think about when it comes to SEGA. Aside from the ones you mentioned, there's also Alex Kidd, Joe Musashi, Nights, Ryo Hazuki, Ulala, Amigo, and AiAi. Bayonetta and Joker's inclusion may have more to do with their connections to Nintendo or something else, so long time SEGA fans might not feel at home with these kind of reps.

The truth is, Smash Bros is still clearly a Nintendo crossover series and the other companies won't get that same representation. This is why lately I've been thinking about what if SEGA made their own crossover fighting game series. I'd rather that than for Smash to be the go-to game for every company's character or every fan favorite from that company.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Then again, I was not sure what else to use as a word, other than possibly Native Americans.
I believe the correct term is inuit, although you probably just could have called them the Ice Climbers and left it at that.

Sakurai's affinity for classic arcade games is what keeps my faith in Arle alive. It does also make it all the more confusing that Puyo Puyo has zero presence in the game whatsoever, but I feel like that's a matter of when rather than if. Not saying it's guaranteed to come in a playable fashion, although I think it's fairly likely, but Puyo Puyo WILL get acknowledged in Smash Bros eventually. I'd take the nightmare fuel open mouth Carbuncle hat, even.

But yeah, I feel like Sakurai had to play a mean Puyo in its prime. I suspect the competitive spirit of the series was something that would appeal to him a lot, and I'd really love to hear what he has to say about it. After all, Puyo Puyo is often jokingly and not-so-jokingly referred to as a fighting game.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
My apologies, I was aw aware of a lot of racial things before, but I was not sure on at least how much esk-I mean, ahem, the E word would have been as an offensive term.

Considering how that word was used in alot of education material, I would not be surprised if quite alot of people who use the word aren't aware of it. They likely think they are referring to a tribe of people when using the word unaware that it's used for both the Inuit and the Yupik.

Which is why some people need to see how a person uses certain words and figure out if they are unaware of the problem with the word before going SJW. Because as I said, this word was never on the line of something like the N-word and was used quite frequently in education and children entertainment back then. For people who have been taught a word that used quite frequently, some more than likely not of ill intent, it's not surprising that there are people who aren't aware of it being a problematic word.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Considering how that word was used in alot of education material, I would not be surprised if quite alot of people who use the word aren't aware of it. They likely think they are referring to a tribe of people when using the word unaware that it's used for both the Inuit and the Yupik.

Which is why some people need to see how a person uses certain words and figure out if they are unaware of the problem with the word before going SJW. Because as I said, this word was never on the line of something like the N-word and was used quite frequently in education and children entertainment back then. For people who have been taught a word that used quite frequently, some more than likely not of ill intent, it's not surprising that there are people who aren't aware of it being a problematic word.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe if I knew enough to do research to find out, maybe I would not have used that word myself. Like I said though, I did not mean any harm.

I mean, it did not sound so offensive to me before, but I understand why it would be, quite easily, too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was expecting her to be the assistbut then we got Guile.
Which was, honestly, perfect. Since Guile is a two-move wonder.

Adding a second unique Street Fighter character is still a great choice and if we do get one it'll be Chun.
I could see it being Bison. Just to add another iconic villain to the roster.

Also put Shin Akuma in the single player as a boss, that just mkaes sense in this scenario.
Characters that could easily be Fighters do not make sense as Bosses.

But I want a character that actually is a cowboy. I want a real yeehaw guy.
1703999509800.png

Hi, am Street Fighter fan. I am very much dissatisfied with the current state of SF representation. Please don't try to speak on the behalf of fanbases you're not a part of
I'm a SF fan. And given a choice between another SF character, or a character from a Capcom game that's not in Smash yet, I'd prefer a different Capcom character.

Nah, Chun-Li's the only character with 100% attendance since her debut outside of Ryu and Ken
Well...it took 3 versions before she finally showed up in SF3.

Ive never seen a Dragon quest fan dissatisfied with the smash content, it was about as much as you could expect.
I was extremely dissatisfied with the moveset. And the music was disappointing, though expected.

they were scammed with the midi version of the music but i guess square-enix being square-enix
Sugiyama being Sugiyama.

Dragon Quest is one that people point to a lot for example, but DQ has been around and properly localized for much of my life.
Damn SNES era...

I can't count the tracks in one hand like Punch Out!!.
To be fair, the entire PU franchise only has a handful of tracks. It just keeps remixing the same 3 songs over and over.

Inuit.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not for nothing but it's so messed up that a literal racial slur isn't autocensored on this site all while people need to tiptoe around naming "the cat from Shrek" or "the identity of Batman's first Robin."
Interesting. Never knew that was a slur. Can certainly mention it to an Admin to see if it can be added to the list.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Which was, honestly, perfect. Since Guile is a two-move wonder.

I could see it being Bison. Just to add another iconic villain to the roster.

Characters that could easily be Fighters do not make sense as Bosses.
Well my idea in that example was make Akuma playable as a semi clone of Ryu but then make the overly broken secret boss version of Akuma as a boss.

They wouldnt look different just have it be obviously stronger.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Because Chun-Li is one of the most popular characters in video game history? You realize the worth of a character does go beyond "rep" numbers right? It's quite a bit insulting to the deep legacy and influence of this character to boil her down to "3rd street fighter rep".

It has nothing to do with her being "a female". It has to do with her being THE female in video games, the co-protagonist of the most iconic fighting game franchise of all time, a pop culture icon in her own right transcending that of her role in her home series. There are few characters left to add who even come close to the legacy and popularity of Chun-Li, who stands very much on her own and not exclusively on the shoulders of Ryu or Ken.

If Smash continues to be about crossover appeal, what are the big remaining dream matchups left? Certainly Chun-Li fighting the likes of Peach and Samus would be monumental in a way that I don't think people give enough credibility. She is gaming royalty and it's impossible for me to overstate that.
Isnt THE Female in gaming Peach? or Samus or perhaps Lara Croft?
Mr Gaming is obviously Mario! But miss gaming is a More Nebulous Subject!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Point being... Chun-Li is absolutely an icon and is well known as one of gaming's leading ladies. She's right up there with Samus, Lara Croft and Miss Pac-Man.

She's more iconic than more than half of the roster. There should be no doubting of her qualifications.

Also she's cool.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
-Dante vs. Bayonetta
-Mario and Luigi vs. Sonic and Tails (and/or Mario and Sonic vs. Bowser and Eggman)
-Wario vs. Bomberman
-Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash
-Pikachu vs. Agumon

Also, a dream team-up that I'd like to see would be Doomguy and Isabelle.
1704018247254.png
Videospiel-Man (aka the character from my recently started comic and plans but what ev) Vs Toon Link and Kirby!
Hes me so ya know that would be fun!

Yeah hes like fifth party but still a man can dream!

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
Which 3 sega reps are the most likely for the next smash bros.
In my case are dr eggman, the demi fiend from shin megami tensei and beat from jet set radio

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
An interesting x factor in the Sega selection is the recent Power Surge reveal of games. Not to say that the company has the power to insist on characters from such games being selected for Smash, but there is an obvious synergy in getting a Golden Ax/Shinobi/Streets of Rage fighter for the next SSB. If Jet Set Radio ends up on Switch/Switch 2 that could also be in play.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Which 3 sega reps are the most likely for the next smash bros.
In my case are dr eggman, the demi fiend from shin megami tensei and beat from jet set radio
My guesses:

One of Tails/Shadow/Eggman: A second unique Sonic fighter seems to be the frontrunner here, and they’ve been highly requested, especially after Sephiroth’s inclusion.
Arle: Please refer to my point below
Arle: She has some popularity within the community, and Puyo Puyo has been around for awhile.
Jeanne: I don’t see Bayonetta going anywhere, and she could work as an echo.

As an honorable mention, maybe Kiryu or Majima from Yakuza/Like a Dragon could join as this is a recurring series.

Interesting. Never knew that was a slur. Can certainly mention it to an Admin to see if it can be added to the list.

I just thought of it recently, but that word is also in “The Christmas Song”, which is a holiday classic at this point, highlighting your point on this word appearing in entertainment even if people don’t know the issues around it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Probably Red from angry birds literally the face of mobile games
Others are probably SMT rep or 2nd Sonic rep or arle
It's hard to get behind the idea that Angry Birds is "the face of mobile games" in the context of something like Smash tbh. Like, Smash is a Japanese game, and the vast majority of Angry Birds's reputation is western...while also being frequently cited as past its prime. It's definitely important...but a far cry from like, the de facto mobile character. Especially, again, in the context of a Japanese crossover game.

Thanks man, it's appreciated. And yeah, it's one of those ones that wasn't considered one for a long while, and as such saw very common use, but things have definitely shifted more especially in the past decade and a half to take into consideration the thoughts of the native Inuit and Yupik peoples it affects.

(Technically speaking, some groups of Alaskan Inuits specifically have tried to reclaim it, but things like that imo are always down to like, a personal preference by the affected groups, so between that, the colonialist nature of the word's origin, and the clear majority of the opinion of Inuit, Yupik, and other First Nations groups, it's better to be safe than sorry).

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's representation in smash is far from the worst, though it's definitely the most personally irking due to my huge Sega bias. While the music selection has plenty of hits it's not hard to get jealous of the 50 song buffets Terry, Simon, and Kazuya all have. (To say nothing of how good Mega Man was treated). I know licensing is a problem but deep cuts that sound excellent are what Sonic's music catalog is made for.

After going to Sonic Symphony two nights ago I also gotta say that the world is ready for All of Me and What I'm Made Of to join the smash selections. I think hearing the former live has made Shadow finally rise above Tails and Eggman in terms of what character I'd want next from the series in Smash (How couldn't I after hearing an entire crowd sing along to it?).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sonic's representation to me is like the third-party equivalent to Donkey Kong's; neither are at all bad or even just standard, it's just that both have so much potential with stages/music/etc that their current execution feels slightly underwhelming knowing what could be there.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sonic's representation in smash is far from the worst, though it's definitely the most personally irking due to my huge Sega bias. While the music selection has plenty of hits it's not hard to get jealous of the 50 song buffets Terry, Simon, and Kazuya all have. (To say nothing of how good Mega Man was treated). I know licensing is a problem but deep cuts that sound excellent are what Sonic's music catalog is made for.

After going to Sonic Symphony two nights ago I also gotta say that the world is ready for All of Me and What I'm Made Of to join the smash selections. I think hearing the former live has made Shadow finally rise above Tails and Eggman in terms of what character I'd want next from the series in Smash (How couldn't I after hearing an entire crowd sing along to it?).
Not to mention that Sonic only has a single remix in the entire game, and it's been there since Brawl. It's so bad that Sonic is the only fighter whose victory theme is ripped directly from another game.

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
I’ll probably be wrong in the end, but here are my guesses:

First/Second Party:

Pauline: She gained more prominence after Odyssey as she has been added to most spinoffs barring the Mario Party games.
Ashley: Wario Ware has been successful on the Switch, and she is moderately requested from what I remember.
Alear?: There’s always a good chance for a promotional Fire Emblem character, but the final decision really depends on timing.
Mio?: This is similar to the Alear situation where the newest Xenoblade character will probably join. I could see the developers trying to have both Noah and Mio together as a fighter.
Octoling: Splatoon is very popular, and even if a different unique fighter is chosen like DJ Octavio, there’s a decent chance that Octoling is an Inkling echo.
Ring Fit Trainee: Ring Fit Adventure is the most successful new first/second party franchise on the Switch.

Third Party:
Chun-Li: Most notable woman in fighting games.
Arle: She has some popularity within the community, and Puyo Puyo has been around for awhile.
2B: This is more of a long shot given the FFVII fighters, Hero, and Geno, but she is another character with popularity.
What about lifeline from apex legends? I mean, the game is very popular in japan. Here the proof:https://www.playstation.com/en-us/editorial/this-month-on-playstation/ultimate-review-of-the-year/

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s memed and made fun of a lot but I legitimately liked Infinite’s theme from Sonic Forces. Even though this was obviously a joke cover of the song, it actually sounds pretty awesome:

There are also plenty of classic Genesis Sonic themes I’d love to have like Chemical Plant Zone and Robotnik’s boss battle themes.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Isnt THE Female in gaming Peach? or Samus or perhaps Lara Croft?
Mr Gaming is obviously Mario! But miss gaming is a More Nebulous Subject!
When it comes to female video game characters, it's always somewhat puzzles me why Alis Landale never seem to get the same amount of recognition as them. She was one of the earliest ones, having debuted before Chun-Li and Lara Croft and, unlike Samus, was always seen as a female from the start.

Top Bottom