• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero
An interesting x factor in the Sega selection is the recent Power Surge reveal of games. Not to say that the company has the power to insist on characters from such games being selected for Smash, but there is an obvious synergy in getting a Golden Ax/Shinobi/Streets of Rage fighter for the next SSB. If Jet Set Radio ends up on Switch/Switch 2 that could also be in play.
I'm just glad and happy that SEGA are giving several of their dormant franchises a shine in which I am personally looking forward to Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi.

On the next Street Fighter candidates for a future Smash game, I could see this come down to either Chun-Li or M. Bison.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
When it comes to female video game characters, it's always somewhat puzzles me why Alis Landale never seem to get the same amount of recognition as them. She was one of the earliest ones, having debuted before Chun-Li and Lara Croft and, unlike Samus, was always seen as a female from the start.
Bit of a side effect of the pre-PSO entries in Phantasy Star being RPG games not breaking out into the broader culture quite like Final Fantasy did worldwide (and Dragon Quest did back in Japan). Successful and very well executed titles with many fans, but just not as known to mass audiences in the way Chun Li, Lara, and Samus are with their respective IP's.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
When it comes to female video game characters, it's always somewhat puzzles me why Alis Landale never seem to get the same amount of recognition as them. She was one of the earliest ones, having debuted before Chun-Li and Lara Croft and, unlike Samus, was always seen as a female from the start.
The biggest reason is because she never reoccurred compared to Samus, Lara and Chun-Li. She's much like Marth where she's seen as an important figure in Phantasy Star's history, but like Fire Emblem, the series has constantly changing main characters. Aside from a cameo in Phantasy Star 2, it took until Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 5 for her to make a new appearance in the series and that Alis Landale was only based on the original rather than actually being the original.

And yeah, kinda didn't help that Alis Landale's home game was on the Sega Master System, a system that was competing with the hugely popular NES/Famicom.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gotta say, a conversation about racial slurs towards American First Nationals is not something I expected to come across on a smash centric forum on hogmany

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Which 3 sega reps are the most likely for the next smash bros.
Arle - If Sega wants to add a new series, there is simply no better option. We don't get the scope of how big Puyo is over here, but it has impressive, persistent brand awareness in Japan that trumps that of Sonic. Puyo II was a phenomenon at Japanese arcades that rivaled the popularity of Street Fighter II and further popularized puzzle games with a competitive edge - a trend that Capcom would later chase with Puzzle Fighter and Nintendo with Panel de Pon, just to name a couple. It was so big even, that it nearly had an amusement park. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 just hit 3 million units sold worldwide, so the series is still doing quite well and has made strides in its western presence. I think the unorthodox nature of puzzle games in Smash has made Arle's case more dubious, but otherwise it's hard to find a character more qualified. Foundational for her genre, persistently relevant, carries a strong Nintendo history along with her, one of the most significant and successful Japanese IPs without a presence in the game.

Second Sonic Character - This is the number one obstacle for Arle though, but I don't really think it's an obstacle. Sega plays ball consistently and probably wouldn't mind lending both. In any case, I'll just talk about which character I think has the best chance of this bunch, and for my money it's probably Tails. Smash has a bit of a preference for prioritizing sidekicks and co-protagonists over villains when applicable, as evidenced by Luigi, Zelda, Diddy Kong and so forth. Tails, alongside Knuckles and Shadow, has been requested modestly for 15 years now and in my opinion, probably offers the most clear unique potential of the three. I'm a Knuckles guy myself, but helicopter tails are certainly a distinct trait that few other characters can provide. If the Smash team wants to add someone new from Sonic and is looking for a unique X-factor, that would be it. As for Eggman, I just don't see it happening... sorry.

Axel Stone - This is sort of the shot in the dark random pick, amplified by the upcoming Streets of Rage revival. And a movie, apparently? But Axel would be another suitable classic Sega arcade character, maybe not the biggest or most iconic but with a strong legacy in his own right and hailing from a genre that is notably absent from Smash's fold. If I had to choose a beat-em-up series to represent in Smash, SOR might be my favorite choice with its style and its banging soundtrack. I think the main "competition" lies within those first two options but Bayonetta and Joker don't exactly fall in line with how you'd expect either.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Kiryu isn't a sure shot but I'd be shocked if we didn't see LaD in some form in the next Smash considering how well the series has grown in the last decade.
I don't know if I'd be outright shocked, just given the nature of the series and the fact that Nintendo doesn't have much stock in it. But I do suspect the push for Kiryu will be stronger, and that may result in at least a couple Mii Costumes for Kiryu and Ichiban. There's also a decent enough chance of Yakuza taking on a surprise DLC role not unlike Persona, I'm definitely not counting it out but I personally wouldn't expect it to take form until an inevitable fighter pass.

The strong growth of the series is totally something worth discussing and Yakuza has firmly become one of Sega's biggest pillars internationally. I'd probably place Kiryu within my top 5 of Sega characters to consider, and reasonably should be near the top, but I do have a couple reservations.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot as a Boss
I'm an advocate for this too. I'm not gonna open the can of worms by saying distinctly that Eggman works BETTER as a boss, but I think it would be a satisfactory role for him and characters like Tails or Knuckles would be strong fighters in their own right. Many of Eggman's most iconic attacks and gadgets just work nicely on that large scale and I think it would do him a great amount of justice, so I'm very much in support.

I think if anything it's pretty criminal this hasn't happened already, moreso than simply not having a second Sonic character.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't happen for a variety reasons, but the funniest Sonic echo imo would be Blaze the Cat. And she'd give us another DS rep finally!

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Bit of a side effect of the pre-PSO entries in Phantasy Star being RPG games not breaking out into the broader culture quite like Final Fantasy did worldwide (and Dragon Quest did back in Japan). Successful and very well executed titles with many fans, but just not as known to mass audiences in the way Chun Li, Lara, and Samus are with their respective IP's.
Which is a shame.

The biggest reason is because she never reoccurred compared to Samus, Lara and Chun-Li. She's much like Marth where she's seen as an important figure in Phantasy Star's history, but like Fire Emblem, the series has constantly changing main characters. Aside from a cameo in Phantasy Star 2, it took until Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 5 for her to make a new appearance in the series and that Alis Landale was only based on the original rather than actually being the original.

And yeah, kinda didn't help that Alis Landale's home game was on the Sega Master System, a system that was competing with the hugely popular NES/Famicom.
Yeah but still, I see so much praise for the first Phantasy Star, it seems like the first protagonist should have made some kind of impression to gamers. It's just kind of strange to me in some ways. But maybe if she makes more appearances, it would probably help getting her the recognition she deserves.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think it’s particularly likely, but if Octopath Traveller somehow got a Smash character, would you prefer any particular character or an amalgamation moveset with a Bowser Jr. style approach to the alts? Moveset wise, that makes sense since any character in the game can switch to any class but there might be some difficulties with their body frames. If I went with a single character, my favorite is H’aanit. I love her design and I think the huntress archetype is really cool. I love her potential for summoning various beasts or even just focusing on her original beast companion, Linde. I wonder if they’d make a 3D model for the character or try something akin to Game & Watch and make them 2D.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
As a huge Sonic fan, I have to say Sonic fans have to stop thinking that Sonic's representation is bad. It's better than a majority of the third AND first parties.

It has representation for the entire series unlike Final Fantasy or Street Fighter.

Sonic being "overdue" for another character is silly considering we just started getting second characters from third party franchises in Ultimate, and only one of those was unique.

The stages aren't great? Green Hill Zone is fine, and Windy Hill Zone is a great stage from Lost World (the most recent game at the time, Sonic even got preferential treatment in Smash 4 by getting a stage from a recent entry).
Now, we are just lying.

"It has representation for the entire series unlike Final Fantasy or Street Fighter."

Qaulity, Not Quantity but I argue that outside the classic era, there isn't really anything at all.

Castlevania got 2 characters right out the gate. So did so many other third-parties that even came much later than Sonic all got more characters. Just making excuses atp with "Just started with Ultimate". Didn't stop the others.

And Wowie. Green Hill 1 and Green Hill 2. Impeccable. Outstanding. Truly amazing.

I'm just saying people gotta stop acting like it's the only series with problems that need to be mended by more characters.
It isn't and never said otherwise but why go in the other direction and call those who find the problems to be hypocrites?

Alright, and then who? Arguable as it may be regarding who is on the very top, you'd be lying if you didn't put Chun-Li somewhere among the top 3 or 4.
Tifa, Lara Croft, Samus, Hatsume Miku. I do agree with Chun-Li being on the list tho

Don't even know how to respond to this, lol. You're in a thread right now with at least a dozen people who like both Smash and Street Fighter. Grow up with this playground rivalry garbage.
If you don't know then don't bother. What does this nonsense of a reply have to do what i've said? Two different audiences like different things and not vice versa? So what?

'm reading way too hard into things that aren't there, mind you, but it gives off really weird vibes to me, almost like SEGA's homegrown properties aren't "good enough" to be featured in a game like this and the only "worthwhile" picks are the ones that aren't actually made by them. Again, don't read into this too much, it's purely weird irrational vibes, but it does bother me.
It only feels that if you view as Smash as this hyperbolic "ultimate celebration of all gaming" and not just Nintendo crossover with Nintendo-related characters as guests

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Yeah, it's pretty much this. Comparatively more niche to begin with, lack of reocurring appearances, the odds just haven't been stacked in her favor when it comes to recognition of her as a female gaming icon. Doesn't help that SEGA's history in general is pretty poorly-preserved, and plenty of innovations and great stuff they've made over the years has been more or less forgotten by the general gaming public due to, well.....a whole host of factors that I really don't have the time or energy to dive into right now. It's complicated.
An interesting x factor in the Sega selection is the recent Power Surge reveal of games. Not to say that the company has the power to insist on characters from such games being selected for Smash, but there is an obvious synergy in getting a Golden Ax/Shinobi/Streets of Rage fighter for the next SSB. If Jet Set Radio ends up on Switch/Switch 2 that could also be in play.
I'm actually not so sure on this. The thing to note with this big IP revival intitiative is that it's very catered towards the western market. This can be seen in the selection of properties themselves, the direction they seem to be taking with some of them, smaller touches such as the trailer having the old SEGA Scream (clearly intended to harken back to that Genesis Does era that's so fondly remembered in the West), or the fact that there's currently zero sign of just about anything from the Saturn era joining in (hell, if recent trademarks are anything to go by, they're seemingly more willing to bring back Eternal ****ing Champions than acknowledge that SEGA still made games between about 1993 and 1999, which really says something). And to their credit, it's not like this failed - the overwhelmingly positive response shows that they clearly knew their audience - but it does mean it might have a harder time having an effect on stuff like this. Smash strives for worldwide appeal as much as possible, of course, and it's not like the properties chosen for revivals aren't known or liked in Japan either, but the series still ultimately has its roots in Japan and tends to favor stuff with more of a presence there, and as such I think it might be hard to envision them picking something like Golden Axe or Jet Set Radio over properties that have been more historically successful and popular domestically - especially when you have properies like Yakuza at your disposal that do a much more effective job of appealing to both sides of the pond. If any of these have an effect on Smash, I'd say JSR or Crazy Taxi given that they're being made in-house, but it might be even harder for the others - which look to be outsourced - to have much of an effect. Remember when everyone was hyping up how SoR4 could lead to the series getting something in Smash and it wound up getting nothing?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don’t think it’s particularly likely, but if Octopath Traveller somehow got a Smash character, would you prefer any particular character or an amalgamation moveset with a Bowser Jr. style approach to the alts? Moveset wise, that makes sense since any character in the game can switch to any class but there might be some difficulties with their body frames. If I went with a single character, my favorite is H’aanit. I love her design and I think the huntress archetype is really cool. I love her potential for summoning various beasts or even just focusing on her original beast companion, Linde. I wonder if they’d make a 3D model for the character or try something akin to Game & Watch and make them 2D.
the apothecary. I forgot his name

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of it just comes down to the difficult guesswork of prediction both Nintendo/Sakurai's interest with characters and Sega's overall decisions with what they want to promote. It's especially tricky because the latter company has ended up with decently contrasting fanbases in the in the US, Japan, and even Europe to the point where some of the pillars of such regions can differ quite a bit.

Yakuza/Like a Dragon being the exception via its success both in North America and back home is why it's probably my realistic expectation of the Sega IP getting a fighter in the next game, albeit that being a very safe prediction.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Remember when everyone was hyping up how SoR4 could lead to the series getting something in Smash and it wound up getting nothing?
To be fair, I guess it's a different story when Sega is actually the one making it this time. I'm not even certain SOR4 saw a Japanese release at all?

But I'm not expecting this to change very much now either, certainly not enough to put Streets of Rage on the same level as Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Persona etc.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
To be fair, I guess it's a different story when Sega is actually the one making it this time. I'm not even certain it saw a Japanese release at all?

But I'm not expecting this to change very much now either, certainly not to put Streets of Rage on the same level as Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Persona etc.
I think Streets 4 did see a JP release actually, and I think this one isn't being made by SEGA either

Ivander

Smash Legend
To be fair, I guess it's a different story when Sega is actually the one making it this time. I'm not even certain SOR4 saw a Japanese release at all?
I think Streets 4 did see a JP release actually, and I think this one isn't being made by SEGA either
If anything, the publication will be from Sega this time, because SoF4 was licensed from Sega, but it wasn't published by Sega. With the new one, as well as the other games not being made by them, Sega will probably not take another chance of not publishing another potential big hit.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If anything, the publication will be from Sega this time, because SoF4 was licensed from Sega, but it wasn't published by Sega. With the new one, as well as the other games not being made by them, Sega will probably not take another chance of not publishing another potential big hit.
Yeah, if nothing else, the fact that SEGA is directly promoting this one I think points to them maybe having sliiiiightly more involvement this time around, compared to SoR4 where they were pretty much entirely hands-off. We'll see.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...I would've thought Olimar would be a better fit for Toad than Villager. Look at those noodle arms.
I feel like Olimar twists and rotates too much for it to look good on Toad versus Villagers model. Toad definitely would not be swaying the way Olimar does

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like Olimar twists and rotates too much for it to look good on Toad versus Villagers model. Toad definitely would not be swaying the way Olimar does
Toad does have unique animations in the mod
But the trailer Nabbitfan posted shows that he still has Villager's idle.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Qaulity, Not Quantity but I argue that outside the classic era, there isn't really anything at all.
What are you talking about? Half of Sonic's stages are from modern games. Most of the music tracks are from modern games. The franchise's only assist trophy is from modern games. Most of the spirits are from modern games. Sonic's design is from modern games.

Castlevania got 2 characters right out the gate. So did so many other third-parties that even came much later than Sonic all got more characters. Just making excuses atp with "Just started with Ultimate". Didn't stop the others.
Only Castlevania got more than one character out of the gate. Street Fighter and Final Fantasy had to wait at least a game. And it's not an excuse. It's the truth.
And Wowie. Green Hill 1 and Green Hill 2. Impeccable. Outstanding. Truly amazing
This is just an issue of taste.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
You know, what's funny is that the Rabbids spirits has them as part of the Mario series.

That's going to look strange if they do end up becoming playable characters.

Im half expecting the Rabbids because of the Mario rabbids series.
Didn't Rayman just make an appearance in the latest one?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know, what's funny is that the Rabbids spirits has them as part of the Mario series.

That's going to look strange if they do end up becoming playable characters.

Didn't Rayman just make an appearance in the latest one?
In a sidequest, unfortinately.

I hate how he doesnt become a permanenet party member, him and DK are stuck in side content.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Im half expecting the Rabbids because of the Mario rabbids series.
Rabbids are easily my favorite choice for a Ubisoft newcomer. They're hilarious and fun. I'm a bit disappointed they weren't full costumes. I wanted a Plunger Sword, though what Gun they'd use is another story. Without dipping into Mario + Rabbids, anyway.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Rabbids are easily my favorite choice for a Ubisoft newcomer. They're hilarious and fun. I'm a bit disappointed they weren't full costumes. I wanted a Plunger Sword, though what Gun they'd use is another story. Without dipping into Mario + Rabbids, anyway.
Rabbid Mii costumes would be fun.

Brawler - Good old fists
Swordfighter - Plunger
Gunner - Plunger Gun (doesn't fire plungers)

Top Bottom