• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Octoling and ring fit trainee are most likely although they have male version of them so idk if it counts

but if you ask me what female character could break the internet I would guess Reimu or Hatsune miku due to their massive community worldwide as they target people outside the smash community
I can see Miku, but I'm not sure about Reimu. Toho has even more lopsided regional recognition than like of Halo, Doom, etc iirc.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If we had to have a character from Gaiden i think it would be good to have Celica as a Robin echo.

Since both use a mix of magic and sword play.
Depends 2 out of 4 adult links are lefthanded!
All smol ones are left handed tho!
Speaking of Link we really have to band together to come up with nick names for all links currently we only have 2
Hero of Time Link (Child) = Young Link
Hero of winds and other identical looking links = Toon Link
I have an easy one:
Every Link whose default is a version of the champion tunic = Champion Link
Here are some less direct ones:
Every kid or cartoony Link = Small Link
Every Adult Link other than the champion ones = Link or Adult Link

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I've been thinking, anyone else think Pizza Tower could potentially get any recognition in the next game, as a spirit or trophy or Mii costume or whatever? The Cuphead mii costume was a big surprise for me in Ultimate and basically proved to me that more recent indie endeavors still have a fair shot at making it into the game in some fashion, even if it's something small. And yeah, while Pizza Tower isn't on a Nintendo console, that point is kind of moot when Persona's representation on Nintendo consoles was basically nonexistent when Joker made it in.

Idk, Pizza Tower is heavily inspired by a Nintendo title (Wario Land) and feels like a natural thing to reference in Smash, with the only big "obstacle" being that it's not actually playable on Nintendo hardware.
I do not think Pizza Tower is on the Smash team's radar

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is being inspired by an old Nintendo game really a noteworthy thing for an indie game to do?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It takes a lot for Nintendo to effectively highlight indies like they did. Shovel Knight was a Kickstarter phenomenon that's forged part of its identity with crossovers, Cuphead looked unlike most games on the market (and had fame as a big passion project) and Undertale became a ridiculously big cultural success all over the world, with a reach beyond even just video game circles.

It's hard for a lot of indie titles to measure up to those, with only mega successes like Hades or Hollow Knight, and older ones like Cave Story or Super Meat Boy (that are effectively grandfathered in) to really come close.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Gengar was always a peak choice for me, it's a really sick 'mon and would be really cool to see playable.

I feel that Gen 3 always got the short end of the stick when it comes to a playable character in Smash. I think I'd like to see Loudred or Exploud. I like the idea of a fighter that has a moveset revolving around sound, there's a lot of directions you could take it in.

If I'm allowed to be self-indulgent, I'd pick Tinkaton, because I love its design and... just like, look at the size of the hammer relative to her body. This character could be a contender for having some of the most satisfying moves to land in the game. The most unga of bunga of characters, if you will.

Gen 2 got an even wierder stick the only pokemon gen 2 got was Pichu who doesnt REALLY Count!
Also One mean thing about pokemon in smash is they always pick the mons i didnt choose:
Chikorita instaed of cyndaquil
Luigia instead of Hooh
Palkia instaed of Dialaga and the list goes on and on!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gen 2 got an even wierder stick the only pokemon gen 2 got was Pichu who doesnt REALLY Count!
Also One mean thing about pokemon in smash is they always pick the mons i didnt choose:
Luigia instead of Hooh
cyndaquil was in

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
It takes a lot for Nintendo to effectively highlight indies like they did. Shovel Knight was a Kickstarter phenomenon that's forged part of its identity with crossovers, Cuphead looked unlike most games on the market (and had fame as a big passion project) and Undertale became a ridiculously big cultural success all over the world, with a reach beyond even just video game circles.

It's hard for a lot of indie titles to measure up to those, with only stuff mega successes like Hades or Hollow Knight, and older ones like Cave Story or Super Meat Boy that are effectively grandfathered to really come close.
This is a good explanation / analysis of probably why the current indie representation in Smash is the way it is, thanks for that. While Pizza Tower is successful, it doesn't have Cuphead/Undertale levels of impact, and bringing up that comparison brought me back to reality.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah even as a Mii costume as of now I don't see Pizza tower as being super likely. Even if you look specifically at indie that released this year I would argue that Sea of stars had a much bigger impact than Pizza tower (not that Valere and Zale would be really likely either way too).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Which female characters do you guys expect to join?
Expect to join? Well the one that I firmly anticipate (neglecting genderswap characters like Octoling or Ring Fit) is Chun-Li. The most prestigious female character in gaming, possibly ever but at minimum out of the ones who haven't joined Smash.

First party wise, I believe Lyn is someone worth talking about. Maybe the Pikmin 4 Protag in some way or another? Technically another genderswap scenario, but I feel as if they'd just use the default female design. Dixie Kong and Midna are always options, Mio and Alear exist.

Third party wise, I am in Arle's corner but I'm not as blindly confident in her as I am with Chun-Li. I think Jill Valentine is a great option as well, if they feel comfortable implementing Resident Evil with the inevitable handicaps put on its content (I think it would be fine). 2B and Terra Branford are solid prospects. Side note, isn't it a shame Bayonetta is the only standalone female third party character? I definitely see this being mended soon, I'm certain it has to be something Sakurai is aware of seeing how he's mentioned liking the opportunity to build on the female cast back in Smash 4.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

Lara Croft, Ryza, Chun Li, 2B, Tifa Lockhart, Shantae, Arle Nadja, Morrigan, Jill, Hat Kid..
Just from top of my head.
All of these choices are third parties… good choices, though I’d say only Chun-Li has a good shot at making it in. Others suffer from lopsided regional recognition, being too niche, too ‘lewd’, or are competing with existing characters for the next game.

Smash has to cater to both the CERO A rating and ESRB E10-T rating. I doubt they will let the literal succubus into the game, and censorship won’t do much.

Both Tifa and 2B struggle with being part of Square Enix, who was already notoriously stingy with Cloud, Hero, and Sephiroth. Add the fact that people still want Geno in Smash, and it’s a tough competition. 2B may have a better shot though, even if censorship is required, and her time may have passed…

Lara has pretty lopsided regional recognition. Ryza too, I guess. Arle might be lucky enough to get a spirit.

Jill is probably competing with Leon (from the same franchise) and Chun-Li for a spot in Smash.

Shantae and Hat Kid are… fine choices for those on the indie side… but I can’t see them being more than Mii costumes and spirits.

If we look at first parties, the likes of Ring Fit Trainer, Mio, or Alear would be decent choices, or picked not at all.

RFT may be too irrelevant, Mio would likely not be chosen over Noah (switching would not be as simple as Pyra/Mythra are), and Alear would end up being replaced by the latest FE protagonist.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mio would likely not be chosen over Noah
How come? Genuine question - I haven't played Xenoblade 3, but I felt like her choice of unique weaponry would make her an optimal choice. Not to be that guy, but Xenoblade has an opportunity to avoid falling into a stigma here by simply adding another main character who doesn't use a sword.

Assuming the both of them wouldn't make it, which yeah I agree I don't see them doing that. But my assumption is, just at face value, if they wanted to opt for one of the two protagonists they would go with the one who offers more gameplay variety.

RFT may be too irrelevant
Also, absolutely not. Ring Fit Adventure sold remarkably well - 14 million units, that's handily outselling Splatoon's debut and that was already a no brainer for next Smash - and really, other than that, there aren't any other brand new Nintendo IPs killing it in the same way. I'm not gonna say they're a complete 100% lock, but they're in about as good a position as any new Nintendo series could be.

I do wonder where they decide to take the series from here, but there's certainly potential for it if the next console keeps some variation of joycons around.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
How come? Genuine question - I haven't played Xenoblade 3, but I felt like her choice of unique weaponry would make her an optimal choice. Not to be that guy, but Xenoblade has an opportunity to avoid falling into a stigma here by simply adding another main character who doesn't use a sword.

Assuming the both of them wouldn't make it, which yeah I agree I don't see them doing that. But my assumption is, just at face value, if they wanted to opt for one of the two protagonists they would go with the one who offers more gameplay variety.
I think the sword is one of the main issues. Yes, Noah would be a swordfighter, but his sword is one of the defining things about Xenoblade 3. Add to that an unsheathing mechanic later in the game, and suddenly Noah isn’t just a basic swordfighter. Mio would be relegated to a cameo/Final Smash akin to Rex for Pyra/Mythra.

Add to that possible competition for a second XC3 character, which isn’t out of the possibility. They may want to revive a moveset Rex in his adult design, which is distinct enough from Pyra/Mythra. Or they go for the easy clone choice of N as an echo fighter for Noah.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Lara Croft, Ryza, Chun Li, 2B, Tifa Lockhart, Shantae, Arle Nadja, Morrigan, Jill, Hat Kid..
Expect? 2B or Chun-Li or both ...

But!

Want .. haha actually, so, I've been rewatching Fate, god there's a lot since the last time, I am a fan of just the shows and not the game, not bc of disliking them I just haven't played them so I can't really say much other than I know the original was/is considered explicit.) But to my knowledge there's Fate games on Western consoles and the original PC game while may be "pervy" shouldn't disqualify it from being in Smash. Judging by the show alone there's literally only one scene I can think of that may be a bit of a stretch and honestly I blame the dub bc the translation is generic and the scene is a split second that could easily be cut without ruining the meaning. Anyway it's kinda like Leisure Suit Larry I guess too risque or something haha but Saber in smash would suit me just right and I would main the **** outta her.

Luigia instead of Hooh
CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash knows more about Pichu that me but they don't count? :ultpichu:is :c now. Chun-Li will be waiting for you in the parking lot to facilitate your apologies.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I don’t think the smash team is all that bothered by there being too many sword users. More to the point both Noah and Mio can use a variety of weapons. So if they were that bothered they could easily pull a byleth

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don’t think the smash team is all that bothered by there being too many sword users. More to the point both Noah and Mio can use a variety of weapons. So if they were that bothered they could easily pull a byleth
I saw it as less as a negative of Noah using a sword and more as a positive of Mio using a unique weapon type. It inspires something different that hadn't been seen in Smash before, so I thought maybe the Smash team would be more excited to tackle something like that. If the sole option was a sword user, and they wanted to add another Xenoblade character, I don't think it would be an issue at all. But I do believe gameplay variety is a priority when applicable, and if there are two equally viable options they may opt for the one who does something distinctly new - consider the choice to add Robin over Chrom.

Regardless, BritishGuy seems to believe the plot relevance of Noah's sword might give him an edge so perhaps they'd be more inclined toward that. I don't think the story is the be all end all but I can't act like an authority on a game I haven't fully immersed myself in yet. At face value I prefer Mio just because I think her dual rings are neat.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I saw it as less of a negative of Noah using a sword and more of a positive of Mio using a unique weapon type. It inspires something different that hadn't been seen in Smash before, so I thought maybe the Smash team would be more excited to tackle something like that. If the sole option was a sword user, and they wanted to add another Xenoblade character, I don't think it would be an issue at all. But I do believe gameplay variety is a priority when applicable, and if there are two equally viable options they may opt for the one who does something distinctly new - consider the choice to add Robin over Chrom.

Regardless, BritishGuy seems to believe the plot relevance of Noah's sword might give him an edge so perhaps they'd be more inclined toward that. I don't think the story is the be all end all but I can't act like an authority on a game I haven't fully immersed myself in yet. At face value I prefer Mio just because I think her dual rings are neat.
yeah but again Noah can use those weapons too. Mio may have a unique weapon type but all the other main characters can use it too. my point being that having a unique weapon is irrelevant in regards to the XC3 characters as they can all use each others weapons. so if the smash team want something different they can pick which ever character they like most and give them whatever weapon they want. and it'd still be in keeping with the source material.

plot importance is also not important to smash

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Noah & Mio are both two of the most important characters in the plot, so in my eyes they have equal billing to get in Smash…which is why my idea for implementing them is having them switch with MvC-style assists in the form of Fusion Arts. For example, if you’re playing as Noah, pressing B in any direction while using any of Noah’s special moves would summon Mio to perform one of her special moves, but you could only switch to Mio if her special hits the opponent and/or their shield.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Expect? 2B or Chun-Li or both ...

But!

Want .. haha actually, so, I've been rewatching Fate, god there's a lot since the last time, I am a fan of just the shows and not the game, not bc of disliking them I just haven't played them so I can't really say much other than I know the original was/is considered explicit.) But to my knowledge there's Fate games on Western consoles and the original PC game while may be "pervy" shouldn't disqualify it from being in Smash. Judging by the show alone there's literally only one scene I can think of that may be a bit of a stretch and honestly I blame the dub bc the translation is generic and the scene is a split second that could easily be cut without ruining the meaning. Anyway it's kinda like Leisure Suit Larry I guess too risque or something haha but Saber in smash would suit me just right and I would main the **** outta her.
Saber is a cool character in her own right but I also think having a character literally named after swords in Smash would be objectively funny.

Though I'm curious how they'd handle her debut game when it still doesn't have an English translation.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I prefer Blanc over Neptune for the same reason. The problem is her Potty Mouth.
Probably wouldn't be having a lot of conversations in Smash.

This is the last person I would expect to have any knowledge about and/or played Hyperdimension Neptunia
I haven't played it. But I understand the concept. Various anime girls each represent a game console or game company.

So if a character were to get into Smash, it would either be main girl, or the one that represents the Nintendo console.

I can see Miku, but I'm not sure about Reimu. Toho has even more lopsided regional recognition than like of Halo, Doom, etc iirc.
Reimu should be a Mii Gunner costume.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
yeah but again Noah can use those weapons too. Mio may have a unique weapon type but all the other main characters can use it too.
Fair enough, but I remember when people used to say stuff like "Chrom can use a lance", "Chrom can use a bow". I realize Byleth ended up being the culmination of this later (with a more interesting sword to boot), but it didn't help Chrom in the moment to have access to multiple weapons.

In most cases, you're going to opt for the default weapon. If you want to implement Mio's rings, then you'd probably just add Mio rather than going through the extra steps of having Noah swing them around and pull stuff out of hammerspace. Byleth is more of the exception than the rule. I get what you mean, and perhaps if this equip system is a big part of Xenoblade 3 maybe they would want to represent it? But otherwise I feel like Smash's design philosophy would favor keeping Noah and Mio largely centralized with their respective main weapons.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fair enough, but I remember when people used to say stuff like "Chrom can use a lance", "Chrom can use a bow". Byleth ended up being the culmination of exactly this later (with a more interesting sword to boot), but it didn't help Chrom in the moment to have multiple weapons at his disposal.

In most cases, you're going to opt for the default weapon. If you want to implement Mio's rings, then you'd probably just add Mio rather than going through the extra steps of having Noah swing them around and pull stuff out of hammerspace. Byleth is more of the exception than the rule. I get what you mean, and perhaps if this equip system is a big part of Xenoblade 3 maybe they would want to represent it? But otherwise I feel like Smash's design philosophy would favor keeping Noah and Mio largely centralized with their respective main weapons.
it was a relatively big feature of the game so it would make a certain amount of sense to acknowledge it in smash

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't do predictions. Only wishlists.

Fighters:
1. SV-001 Metal Slug driven by Fio/Erin/Marco/Tarma [Metal Slug]
2. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
3. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
4. Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
5. Amaterasu [Okami]
6. Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
7. Shantae [Shantae]
8. Toadette/Captain Toad [Treasure Tracker]

Echoes:
16e. Impa [Sheik]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]

Bosses:
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]

toonito

Smash Ace

no clue on expecting to join but my most wanted female characters are:

Chun-Li, Impa, Jill Valentine, Djeeta, Nakoruru, 2B, Sophie (Monster Hunter Stories 1)

Pupp135

Smash Lord

I’ll probably be wrong in the end, but here are my guesses:

First/Second Party:

Pauline: She gained more prominence after Odyssey as she has been added to most spinoffs barring the Mario Party games.
Ashley: Wario Ware has been successful on the Switch, and she is moderately requested from what I remember.
Alear?: There’s always a good chance for a promotional Fire Emblem character, but the final decision really depends on timing.
Mio?: This is similar to the Alear situation where the newest Xenoblade character will probably join. I could see the developers trying to have both Noah and Mio together as a fighter.
Octoling: Splatoon is very popular, and even if a different unique fighter is chosen like DJ Octavio, there’s a decent chance that Octoling is an Inkling echo.
Ring Fit Trainee: Ring Fit Adventure is the most successful new first/second party franchise on the Switch.

Third Party:
Chun-Li: Most notable woman in fighting games.
Arle: She has some popularity within the community, and Puyo Puyo has been around for awhile.
2B: This is more of a long shot given the FFVII fighters, Hero, and Geno, but she is another character with popularity.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i dont find chun-li to be likely at all capcom has a lot of competitor there is monster hunter, resident evil rep, dante, phoenix wright why do you think a 3rd street fighter rep would be the most likely choice? i think we are lucky to even get ken due to him being easy clone pretty sure being a female isnt everything for a character to be included

UserKev

Smash Champion
Undead characters?

Scorpion is my pick.
Scorpion is really the only guest character I want. While near incredibly unlikely, I love his obstacles and already love his chemistry with the rest of the roster. Scorpion's roster slot would be as incredible as his unlikeliness and given his subpar Nintendo history, I SERIOUSlY hope don't go unnoticed.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
why do you think a 3rd street fighter rep would be the most likely choice?
Because Chun-Li is one of the most popular characters in video game history? You realize the worth of a character does go beyond "rep" numbers right? It's quite a bit insulting to the deep legacy and influence of this character to boil her down to "3rd street fighter rep".

It has nothing to do with her being "a female". It has to do with her being THE female in video games, the co-protagonist of the most iconic fighting game franchise of all time, a pop culture icon in her own right transcending that of her role in her home series. There are few characters left to add who even come close to the legacy and popularity of Chun-Li, who stands very much on her own and not exclusively on the shoulders of Ryu or Ken.

If Smash continues to be about crossover appeal, what are the big remaining dream matchups left? Certainly Chun-Li fighting the likes of Peach and Samus would be monumental in a way that I don't think people give enough credibility. She is gaming royalty and it's impossible for me to overstate that.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Saber is a cool character in her own right but I also think having a character literally named after swords in Smash would be objectively funny.

Though I'm curious how they'd handle her debut game when it still doesn't have an English translation.
I was imagining her default costume and some music at the very least and if spirits come back some crazy spirit battles. I think her red costume should be Mordred and maybe a blue one could be Morgan le Fey, there's a Saber of Green I think...

Ivander

Smash Legend
I was imagining her default costume and some music at the very least and if spirits come back some crazy spirit battles. I think her red costume should be Mordred and maybe a blue one could be Morgan le Fey, there's a Saber of Green I think...
I mean, a Red costume based on Mordred wouldn't look any different from Red Saber/Nero.

And surprisingly there's no Green Saber. The closest would be Sakura Saber/Okita Souji when she's wearing her officer's uniform, but that's more teal/blue-ish than Green.

And a Saber Alter alternate/Echo-like costume would be great for her.

Top Bottom