• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I feel like these "rotating cast" franchises need to focus on established and older characters for the base game while reserving the new kids for DLC.
That'd be nice, but the problems there are most series don't end up being given enough priority to wind up with two original newcomers in one game, and even if they do, like with FE in 4, the new characters seem to get the priority both times.

I think the only time this has actually happened was when we got both Pokemon Trainer and Lucario in Brawl, in base.

At this point I'd think if any series could pull this off, it'd be Zelda. Not only is it, y'know, Zelda, but it hasn't received an original character in over twenty years, so maybe they might be compelled to compensate for that lapse by bumping up the priority of a second newcomer.
Or they could just add one new semi-clone and call it a day. That'd be more than the past two games.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Though with that in mind, I'm sure many people would prefer getting Lyn than whoever the newest lord happens to be. She would stand a better chance if they didn't seem to insist on featuring the current title.
That's personally up for debate. For one, Byleth's poor reception was absolutely on timing and hype backlash, when everybody was expecting only 3rd Parties for the last pick due to the previous picks being only 3rd Parties. When Pack 2 was announced, lots of people were expecting 1st Parties to happen for Pack 2 rather than be the last pick for Pack 1 and a Fire Emblem Three Houses character was a very common pick for Pack 2 speculation. Heck, Byleth was one of Japan's Top 5 most wanted at one point. A Three Houses character was definitely a wanted character, just one that people weren't expecting so soon and after 4 3rd Parties in a row.
Two, Lyndis may be more a Samurai Swordswoman, but she still is very much the Main Character with a Sword much like other Protagonists that aren't Hector, Ephraim, Celica or Micaiah. And her being fast doesn't mean much when just about every other Fire Emblem character that isn't Ike, Robin or Byleth are quite fast as well.
And just because she's a bit popular with older fans when she was a wanted character for Brawl, certainly doesn't mean that those who don't play Fire Emblem will accept her as much, especially when one of the complaints in general is just alot of Fire Emblem characters with swords. And obviously, it certainly won't stop the people who wanted a different character and the haters in general.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
That's personally up for debate. For one, Byleth's poor reception was absolutely on timing and hype backlash, when everybody was expecting only 3rd Parties for the last pick due to the previous picks being only 3rd Parties. When Pack 2 was announced, lots of people were expecting 1st Parties to happen for Pack 2 rather than be the last pick for Pack 1 and a Fire Emblem Three Houses character was a very common pick for Pack 2 speculation. Heck, Byleth was one of Japan's Top 5 most wanted at one point. A Three Houses character was definitely a wanted character, just one that people weren't expecting so soon and after 4 3rd Parties in a row.
Two, Lyndis may be more a Samurai Swordswoman, but she still is very much the Main Character with a Sword much like other Protagonists that aren't Hector, Ephraim, Celica or Micaiah. And her being fast doesn't mean much when just about every other Fire Emblem character that isn't Ike, Robin or Byleth are quite fast as well.
And just because she's a bit popular with older fans when she was a wanted character for Brawl, certainly doesn't mean that those who don't play Fire Emblem will accept her as much, especially when one of the complaints in general is just alot of Fire Emblem characters with swords. And obviously, it certainly won't stop the people who wanted a different character and the haters in general.
I'm not saying everyone would prefer Lyn over the newest character, but Lyn is the only FE character to retain popularity from her debut through getting phased out multiple times over in her series to the current turmoil FE has faced in Smash. Plus she still charts very highly on popularity polls for her series. She's basically the only FE character whose popularity has grandfathered her past the antipathy the series is now embroiled in.

So yeah, I'm sure there are a number of people who would prefer to see her over the next FE protag, and if the fanbase wasn't conditioned to expect whatever is most recent from FE and not much else, the discourse would reflect that. She's just really hampered by, honestly, pretty poor chances.

Also Byleth's reception was not solely on timing and hype backlash as if the character being from FE was incidental.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also Byleth's reception was not solely on timing and hype backlash as if the character being from FE was incidental.
It pretty much was, especially when Capcom, for some reason, hyped up Devil May Cry 3 around the same time as the Smash Reveal and people kept going, "IT'S DANTE!" And I'm positive that had it been either Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra that the reaction would've been just around the same. Probably not as much since there were no ARMS characters and Shulk was the only Xenoblade character, but the reaction would've been around the same because of hyped expectations and the timing of coming after four 3rd Parties.
And Byleth would've been received alot less negatively had they come after either Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra because as I said, a Fire Emblem Three Houses character was commonly on prediction lists for Pack 2.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It pretty much was, especially when Capcom, for some reason, hyped up Devil May Cry 3 around the same time as the Smash Reveal and people kept going, "IT'S DANTE!" And I'm positive that had it been either Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra that the reaction would've been just around the same. Probably not as much since there were no ARMS characters and Shulk was the only Xenoblade character, but the reaction would've been around the same because of hyped expectations and the timing of coming after four 3rd Parties.
And Byleth would've been received alot less negatively had they come after either Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra.
Being from FE was not incidental, Sakurai himself said he knew there were complaints of overrepresentation from that series and that he agreed. I'm not saying the timing and the order didn't also play into the reception, but acting like the character being from FE had nothing to do with things is a total misreading of the fanbase.

For one, the timing and expectations of Jan 2020 no longer are relevant, we've received several characters since, some of whom were quite popular, but people still argue about FE's volume on the roster. Just as they have since Corrin. Justified or not, FE is very much an exposed nerve for this fanbase. The way they chose to reveal Byleth just exposed it further.

Quillion

Smash Hero
TBH, Byleth always felt like something they threw together at the end of FP1 to pseudo-delay a character for FP2. 3/4 of their specials are blatantly ripped off of other characters in terms of animation and/or function, and their side-B is so basic it might as well be a normal.

Anyway, both dream1ng dream1ng and Ivander Ivander have points. People were tired of the hip, new Fire Emblem characters always getting in Smash at the time, and people also wanted not just 3rd party characters, but new franchises in Smash altogether.

I guess Lyn could work if her moveset was based around that anime trope where the MC swings their sword once, but a whole bunch of slashes appear when they do so.

That'd be nice, but the problems there are most series don't end up being given enough priority to wind up with two original newcomers in one game, and even if they do, like with FE in 4, the new characters seem to get the priority both times.

I think the only time this has actually happened was when we got both Pokemon Trainer and Lucario in Brawl, in base.

At this point I'd think if any series could pull this off, it'd be Zelda. Not only is it, y'know, Zelda, but it hasn't received an original character in over twenty years, so maybe they might be compelled to compensate for that lapse by bumping up the priority of a second newcomer.
Or they could just add one new semi-clone and call it a day. That'd be more than the past two games.
Perhaps there doesn't always need to be a full character in base. Xenoblade was fine with just Shulk until Pythra came with DLC. I could definitely see Elma and/or Noah in the next Smash though with Xenoblade 4's MC in with DLC.

Honestly though, the vast majority of first-party franchises literally can't have an ever-expanding section of the roster. Who else could be playable for G&W and Ice Climber? Even Mario tends to wait before their "hip new character" becomes playable in Smash. Jr. wasn't in Brawl despite debuting in Sunshine.

Curious am I the only one who thinks :ultpeach: moveset is outdated? Like most of her attacks have no origin and I think Super Princess Peach should be used for her moveset
I've always been in favor of referencing the vibes, though due to my current opposition to the overly faithful, overcomplicated mechanics of the newer fighters, I just want some of her existing moves to be semi-revamped to reference them.

Also, I want Super Princess Peach to become an entire series, but that's a topic for another time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Curious am I the only one who thinks :ultpeach: moveset is outdated? Like most of her attacks have no origin and I think Super Princess Peach should be used for her moveset
Super Princess Peach is also outdated though. It's also not too popular. It didn't even get put the Wii U Virtual Console.

Super Mario Bros 2 is a much more popular game regardless.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Super Princess Peach is also outdated though. It's also not too popular. It didn't even get put the Wii U Virtual Console.
I know it's been a longer wait for Peach by now, but Luigi's Mansion became a series a decade after its first game. I'm hoping something similar happens for Peach.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about it, the more I realize what a logistical nightmare Smash really is. I mean, whether or not Everyone Is Here manages to stay, there's still a pretty huge number of both iconic and currently-relevant characters that seem too essential to cut (even some reboot advocates acknowledge that we could wind up with a base roster the size of Smash4's, or at least Brawl's, and even they're not tiny rosters by any means). Makes it seem like, no matter what they do, it'll be a struggle to add even ONE more character to the roster, and all the more reason why a single reveal should have a lot of work put into it (fortunately, Smash has just enough of a hyped fanbase to make it worth it). I'm just thinking back to when Brawl was first revealed..... remember, they introduced five new characters right out the gate, three of whom introduce a new franchise including the 3rd party bombshell (plus the first look at Final Smashes). Seems we don't get that kind of thing nowadays. I think the closest we ever got was the August 2018 Direct, which also introduced 5 characters (Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, K. Rool)...... but then you realize that most of those were clones and only one new franchise got introduced.

Frankly, I'd love it if Zelda featured some of its one-shots (Lana, Midna, and Skullkid would be my top choices), if Pokemon and Fire Emblem had better series-wide representation (including Lynn, Anna, Tiki, the Black Knight, Celica, and someone from Jugdral, even though that alone would almost double FE's already controversial numbers), if Xeno had room for a Xenoblade3 rep AND Elma AND KOS-MOS AND a T-elos Echo....... but the sad reality is that every single one of these have extremely stiff competition, both among themselves and with countless other franchises. Earlier, I asked a hypothetical "What if Smash could suddenly double its roster?", but as I think on things like this, the more I'm left wishing it could actually be the case somehow.

Talking about characters that aren't too likely even if we want them, there are any character from a rather obscure company would you like to see?, personally I would love a Vanillaware rep, either Momohime/Kisuke or Gwendolyn from Muramasa the Demon Blade and Odin Sphere respectively.
I love VanillaWare, though honestly, I couldn't settle on one particular character from their games (Velvet might have the most potential for some highly unique gameplay, though....... also, she's fanserviceyAF ^^).

A few people brought up Disgaea (either Laharl or Etna), but honestly, I could see NIS being a brand that a lot of people are sleeping on yet could actually have more of a chance than many of us realize, much like SNK. Either way, as I've said many a time before, I welcome more surprise sleeper picks like Terry.

When it comes to my most-wanteds and favorites...... frankly, I've spent a good deal of my life as a Nintendo fan, making a lot of their franchises realizable by default (even my interest in KOS-MOS has more to do with how she relates to Nintendo through Monolith..... though I'd also love her home series to come to Switch). Still, I do have my share of characters that I like but which have no chance in hell of getting in. Putting aside anything Sony-owned, I guess one notable character towards the top of that list would be Kahu from Jade Cocoon 2. Very fun and unique monster-raiser exclusive to the PS2 (it was also released on PS3 as a PS2 Classic, though only in Japan), I highly recommend it. Despite being a Sony-exclusive, it is third-party, but I don't see it happening simply due to how obscure the series is altogether (I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it even got its aforementioned PSN release a few years back). Anyway, much like how some people suggest having Pokemon Trainer be an active Fighter where each of his inputs would summon a different Pokemon, I could see Kahu doing much the same. If anything, it'd make even more sense because his Divine Beasts could be instantly summoned from an amulet he wears, and he is somewhat capable of active battling in his home game (though Levant, the protagonist from the first Jade Cocoon, is literally an active warrior who can just summon monsters in his place, Kahu is capable of sustaining damage when he doesn't have a Divine Beast to protect him, and due to plot reasons, he can occasionally transform into a monster to inflict damage himself).

I’m sure I could think of something I’m missing if I thought about it hard enough. Bad Mr. Frosty from Clay Fighter would be really fun even if he’s not someone I regularly think about. I have no idea what company owns the rights these days. Hopefully they’d go with his design from the first game because I think it was by far the strongest.
Oh man, Clay Fighter. Dr. Peelgood was my main (but sadly, being an unlockable boss from the second game, he seems obscure even within the already-obscure franchise). I heard there was a DS game in development...... something combining the fighters from all three games (plus the 63 1/3 Director's Cut), I think. Real damn shame it ended up being cancelled, because for all we know, it could've been just the revival that Clay Fighter needed (at the very least, it could've helped remove it from absolute obscurity by a good number of years).

On the other hand, there's Fire Emblem which focuses on presenting a new continent or universe almost every game, but there's still the Anna family who appears across different universes. Does ANYONE want Anna to be in Smash?
[raises hand]

• Ganondorf: Oocarina of Time, is his best looking appearence and his more iconic one, it wouldn't hurt try to make him more appealing to the original in his moveset too but I don't find it super necessary (at least give him a new Neutral Special instead of Falcon Punch but lame).
Hey, Warlock Punch can actually be pretty satisfying if you actually manage to get a hit off with it, and really, its extreme high risk-reward factor makes it somewhat iconic in its own right by this point (also, given that he does smash the ground in Ocarina of Time, it's not completely made up). Really though, there's a bit of a catch-22 with Ganondorf. He's sorta built a reputation within Smash as THE bulky powerhouse character (and I gotta be frank, the idea of him floating around and tossing projectiles like Dead Man's Volley doesn't sound very fitting to that playstyle), but he also has a lot of critics due to his origins as a Falcon clone (though let's be real, considering this is Ganondorf and not Ganon, he was only really featured in one game by that point and should be lucky to have gotten in at all). And yet, even when he finally gets his Space World demo sword, which fans have been clamoring for since forever, it still seems like nobody can be satisfied, and in fact, the whining over Falcondorf has only been amplified. It's all the more reason I advocate for just having Ganon. Leave Falcondorf as his own thing and introduce a clean slate with the true iconic villain of the Zelda franchise.

Of course, there's the Black Shadow solution, as well. But honestly, I felt like that was more of a way of retaining Smash4 Ganondorf's moveset while Ganondorf himself gets to play around with his new sword. Though, given the lukewarm reception to said sword, maybe they should just bring in the F-Zero Echo and radically change up Ganondorf completely.

So my idea for skins, which I’ve seen a few other people mention as well, is to have a custom color editor so we can make our own skins. Several other games like Soul Calibur and Warriors Orochi already have this feature and it would allow the alts to focus more on model swaps since we could choose our own colors.

I think Smash should start making DLC outfits for existing characters besides just Miis in the next game. That seems like a huge missed opportunity. There are so many great options and I think they could sell really well.
I'd be in favor of this. Of course, every character (and possibly every costume) should come with 8 default colors just so 8-player Smash can be possible from the outset. But if you go into options, you can set a custom slot or two, or possibly even switch out one of the 8 defaults (though the defaults themselves can never be deleted). Also, costumes (and genders, alt characters, etc.) could be switched in much the same way you could alternate between Pokemon Trainer or Pyra/Mythra.

Whatever they do, though, I hope they find some solution to make the character select screen load better..... I mean, my god. Make the character portraits lower resolution if they have to, I doubt anyone would mind (or better yet, make it a toggleable option to choose between resolution and performance).

The "no Zelda one-shots" rule isn't written, but patterns in action have established that things have gotten stricter since then rather than looser. Every one-shot since Sheik is an AT at best.
I personally found "de facto rule" to be a suitable term. It's not official, it's not set in stone, but it is a conclusion that several fans have reached based on the patterns and various other factors.

It's not being a one-shot that bothers me, it's more being a one-shot that's been left behind rather than consistently marketed afterwards. Again, recurring characters that have been left behind should have a chance, and one-shot characters who continue to be marketed should too. Not so much one-shots who are left behind, a deadly combination.
I don't think it should matter if they're a one-shot that was "left behind" on the corporate side, so long as they're a one-shot that's still fondly remembered on the fandom side. I mean, just look at K. Rool. Nintendo's been trying to phaze him out ever since the Wii reboot, and yet fan demand still managed to come through enough to earn him a spot in Ultimate.

And Byleth would've been received alot less negatively had they come after either Min-Min or Pyra/Mythra because as I said, a Fire Emblem Three Houses character was commonly on prediction lists for Pack 2.
It really didn't help that people were taking Reggie's comment about introducing new universes grossly out of proportion. So many people were jumping to the conclusion that he meant DLC would be exclusively 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I've about given up on "New Zelda character who isn't a Triforce user" tbh.

Not because I don't want them to happen.

But we've seen them basically go out of their way to not include anyone who isn't a Triforce wielder.

I'm honestly starting to buy into the saying that "Zelda gets its representation through items and stages rather than characters" more and more. Midna, Girahim, Tingle, Skull Kid, all characters talked to death in the fanbase, all Assist Trophied, and outside of Tingle, and Skull Kid to a lesser degree, they're all one and done characters that the Zelda series will probably never revisit outside of stuff like Hyrule Warriors.

It's sad, but it really does seem like Sakurai's vision for the Zelda series in Smash is to focus solely on the Triforce trio as playable, and to shove any popular side characters off into the Assist role, while filling the game with multiple stages and items from the series.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's sad, but it really does seem like Sakurai's vision for the Zelda series in Smash is to focus solely on the Triforce trio as playable, and to shove any popular side characters off into the Assist role, while filling the game with multiple stages and items from the series.
I've always felt like this was the intent tbh.

Quillion

Smash Hero
(On Anna being in Smash) [raises hand]
Okay, there's one person. That's hardly a clamor.

I personally found "de facto rule" to be a suitable term. It's not official, it's not set in stone, but it is a conclusion that several fans have reached based on the patterns and various other factors.
Honestly, I hesitate to use the term "rule" or "fan rule" now. I'm just calling it a pattern from this point forward.

I don't think it should matter if they're a one-shot that was "left behind" on the corporate side, so long as they're a one-shot that's still fondly remembered on the fandom side. I mean, just look at K. Rool. Nintendo's been trying to phaze him out ever since the Wii reboot, and yet fan demand still managed to come through enough to earn him a spot in Ultimate.
Nah, it's clear that Retro wanted to make Donkey Kong their own while still keeping true to certain principles from the Rare games. I have no doubt that if they weren't pulled to work on Metroid Prime 4, they would make the finale to their "DKCR trilogy" that would bring back the Kremlings.

I've about given up on "New Zelda character who isn't a Triforce user" tbh.

Not because I don't want them to happen.

But we've seen them basically go out of their way to not include anyone who isn't a Triforce wielder.

I'm honestly starting to buy into the saying that "Zelda gets its representation through items and stages rather than characters" more and more. Midna, Girahim, Tingle, Skull Kid, all characters talked to death in the fanbase, all Assist Trophied, and outside of Tingle, and Skull Kid to a lesser degree, they're all one and done characters that the Zelda series will probably never revisit outside of stuff like Hyrule Warriors.

I've always felt like this was the intent tbh.
It probably wasn't always the intent. My hypothesis is that Sakurai assumed Sheik would be a part of Zelda's portrayal in many games after OoT. After that didn't happen, he's been a lot more reluctant to include Zelda one-shots as anything more than assists.

And like I said before, Bowser Jr. wasn't in Brawl despite very clearly poised to become a major recurring character after Sunshine. Sakurai and the Smash team seems to have taken a very "wait and see" approach to including new characters in established franchises (at least the ones without rotating casts unlike Fire Emblem and Xenoblade).

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
And like I said before, Bowser Jr. wasn't in Brawl despite very clearly poised to become a major recurring character after Sunshine. Sakurai and the Smash team seems to have taken a very "wait and see" approach to including new characters in established franchises (at least the ones without rotating casts unlike Fire Emblem and Xenoblade).
That might've effected my own attitudes on new additions. Wait and see if a character will be well-remembered and relevant, which is especially why I'm against introducing fad indie game picks (though I don't think it's helping their case that Smash games spend years in development, likely why Ultimate's Switch representation outside of Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey was mostly relegated to DLC). Though sadly, I feel that they've been abandoning this approach more and more as of Smash4 (not that previous games haven't also been guilty of this, especially with Roy, but it felt more like an exception to the rule).

Shroob

Sup?
That might've effected my own attitudes on new additions. Wait and see if a character will be well-remembered and relevant, which is especially why I'm against introducing fad indie game picks (though I don't think it's helping their case that Smash games spend years in development, likely why Ultimate's Switch representation outside of Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey was mostly relegated to DLC). Though sadly, I feel that they've been abandoning this approach more and more as of Smash4 (not that previous games haven't also been guilty of this, especially with Roy, but it felt more like an exception to the rule).
I mean, gonna be blunt, but outside of a few glaring omissions, and a handful of old characters, we're basically at the point where most characters are going to feel like they're promoting something. Outside of some characters like say, Dixie Kong and Bandanna Waddle Dee, we're at the point where it wouldn't surprise me if majority of the new characters in the next Smash game were all from recent titles. This is a series that's been building up for over 2 decades now and has been laying bricks into its foundation. Once you start drying up for choices from the past, you kinda have to pull from either characters who have continued into the modern day, or new characters, barring hugely fan-demand picks, that is.

And like, Smash always has been a blatant commercial for Nintendo, it's just something I think many turned a blind eye to, or didn't even consider.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I mean, gonna be blunt, but outside of a few glaring omissions, and a handful of old characters, we're basically at the point where most characters are going to feel like they're promoting something. Outside of some characters like say, Dixie Kong and Bandanna Waddle Dee, we're at the point where it wouldn't surprise me if majority of the new characters in the next Smash game were all from recent titles. This is a series that's been building up for over 2 decades now and has been laying bricks into its foundation. Once you start drying up for choices from the past, you kinda have to pull from either characters who have continued into the modern day, or new characters, barring hugely fan-demand picks, that is.
Mario, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem alike won't have a problem with that. There are so many past major/secondary characters in all three.

And like, Smash always has been a blatant commercial for Nintendo, it's just something I think many turned a blind eye to, or didn't even consider.
Yeah, but it's a Super Bowl commercial essentially.

Shroob

Sup?
Mario, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem alike won't have a problem with that. There are so many past major/secondary characters in all three.

Yeah, but it's a Super Bowl commercial essentially.
Mario's in that weird spot where frankly speaking, we really haven't had any real major characters added since the Wii era of games, WiiU if I'm being generous.

Like, the Mario series roster in the spin-offs has kinda become somewhat stagnant, since the main series really hasn't introduced.... anyone.

Odyssey introduced Pauline back, and she's seeing some play in those games, but she didn't get in Smash, and Pauline is really the only character I can say with certainty is the first "Pushed" Mario character since Rosalina back in Galaxy. I "guess" you could consider Captain Toad one, but other than those 2?

Like, hell, the Mario character we got this game was a generic mook. Mario's kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel for characters unless they finally add in Toad........ or Waluigi, but.... c'mon now. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Mario's in that weird spot where frankly speaking, we really haven't had any real major characters added since the Wii era of games, WiiU if I'm being generous.

Like, the Mario series roster in the spin-offs has kinda become somewhat stagnant, since the main series really hasn't introduced.... anyone.
Yeah, it's pretty much become a game of "guess the minor enemy that'll become playable this time". And they wonder why people are so upset over the stagnation of the Paper Mario games. The sad thing is that, compared to the original Super Mario RPG (which was extremely creative with its setting, art design, and cast of characters and enemies), even the earlier Paper Mario games seem to rely a bit too much on what's familiar to the franchise. Even so, a Goomba wearing a spiky hat manages to look more inspired than the entire cast of a game like Sticker Star, let alone everything else that appeared in those earlier games.

Odyssey introduced Pauline back, and she's seeing some play in those games, but she didn't get in Smash, and Pauline is really the only character I can say with certainty is the first "Pushed" Mario character since Rosalina back in Galaxy. I "guess" you could consider Captain Toad one, but other than those 2?
Actually, Pauline was re-introduced with the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series over a decade earlier. Though I guess she has been prominent in spin-offs since Odyssey, her first appearance in a mainline Mario title.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, it's pretty much become a game of "guess the minor enemy that'll become playable this time". And they wonder why people are so upset over the stagnation of the Paper Mario games. The sad thing is that, compared to the original Super Mario RPG (which was extremely creative with its setting, art design, and cast of characters and enemies), even the earlier Paper Mario games seem to rely a bit too much on what's familiar to the franchise. Even so, a Goomba wearing a spiky hat manages to look more inspired than the entire cast of a game like Sticker Star, let alone everything else that appeared in those earlier games.

Actually, Pauline was re-introduced with the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series over a decade earlier. Though I guess she has been prominent in spin-offs since Odyssey, her first appearance in a mainline Mario title.
I know about the Mario vs Donkey Kong games, but that was a spin-off and one that barely received any real recognition outside the first two or so installments.

Odyssey was her first real mainline appearance in decades.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not saying everyone would prefer Lyn over the newest character, but Lyn is the only FE character to retain popularity from her debut through getting phased out multiple times over in her series to the current turmoil FE has faced in Smash. Plus she still charts very highly on popularity polls for her series. She's basically the only FE character whose popularity has grandfathered her past the antipathy the series is now embroiled in.

So yeah, I'm sure there are a number of people who would prefer to see her over the next FE protag, and if the fanbase wasn't conditioned to expect whatever is most recent from FE and not much else, the discourse would reflect that. She's just really hampered by, honestly, pretty poor chances.

Not only Lyn, Ike and Roy also are basically grandfathered in popularity. But Smash has a lot to do with this too. However these two also score very high in popularity polls always, it's just Lyn has all this without being in Smash, and that's indeed quite big.

If a next FE character wouldn't bring much new in terms of gameplay, I'd suggest Lyn before such character too.

About Sakurai being hesitant about adding Zelda newcomers that aren't one offs or Triforce wielders, yeah that's been true up till now. But each game tried to do something with the Zelda cast. Melee had an explosion of new Zelda characters, Brawl had the designs of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf adjusted and did some moveset changes and added Toon Link at the expense of Young Link (also shoehorned Sheik in, whom they should've cut honestly to keep Mewtwo in but whatever), then Smash 4 separated Zelda and Sheik, which was weird cause here was the perfect opportunity to cut Sheik completely and add Impa instead, and Ultimate of course re-added Young Link and revamped Link and Ganondorf a little.

It's due time we get a new Zelda character, and it's easily the biggest omission so far out of the bigger Nintendo franchises. Dixie and Bandana Dee are much needed to, but since DKC got K.Rool last time, and Kirby is a smaller (yet more active) franchise than both, a new Zelda character honestly should take priority.

I do think that if Ultimate had a similar newcomer selection as Smash 4 did, we would've gotten a BotW Champion (likely Urbosa or Mipha). And I think this is quite a safe pick, as BotW gets a direct sequel now. In case of a reboot and not a Ultimate DX where the current cast stays, I would personally kick out the smaller Links and Sheik.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Do whatever you want, but you HAVE TO LEAVE THE FRYING PAN!

Being from FE was not incidental, Sakurai himself said he knew there were complaints of overrepresentation from that series and that he agreed. I'm not saying the timing and the order didn't also play into the reception, but acting like the character being from FE had nothing to do with things is a total misreading of the fanbase.

For one, the timing and expectations of Jan 2020 no longer are relevant, we've received several characters since, some of whom were quite popular, but people still argue about FE's volume on the roster. Just as they have since Corrin. Justified or not, FE is very much an exposed nerve for this fanbase. The way they chose to reveal Byleth just exposed it further.
Homedog, I'm gonna need to to flat-out just admit that Byleth, Min Min (who likely would have been Spring Man instead in 2017-2018), and Pyra/Mythra would have been better received as a whole as base game inclusions, and that Byleth and Pyra/Mythra actually had some demand, but coming later pissed off a lot of people who see the DLC as the chances to really get some of the bigger names and requests.

I get we argue over semantics and technicalities a lot, but you can't pull yourself out of this one: the backlash WASN'T the characters or the franchise, it was the timing. Byleth was thought to be the last character in the game and that really pissed people off, and ARMS getting in as the first thing after Byleth angered people further. By the time the Aegis Reflectors showed up, their hype had diminished and people had mostly moved on to other hype trains to ride.

None of these responses would have been like this if they had been revealed during the time leading up to the launch of the game, especially not for ARMS or XBC2. I get the Smash community has this hateboner for Fire Emblem, but other characters from FE would be better received, and having Byleth use all the weapons is actually a really cool idea to and represents more of the game. At that time, people would have been saying 'Well, at least they aren't JUST another swordwielder, so I guess this is okay.'

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
actually most of her attacks come from super Mario bros 2 and super Mario rpg. The made up
Moves are in the minority

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Do whatever you want, but you HAVE TO LEAVE THE FRYING PAN!

Homedog, I'm gonna need to to flat-out just admit that Byleth, Min Min (who likely would have been Spring Man instead in 2017-2018), and Pyra/Mythra would have been better received as a whole as base game inclusions, and that Byleth and Pyra/Mythra actually had some demand, but coming later pissed off a lot of people who see the DLC as the chances to really get some of the bigger names and requests.

I get we argue over semantics and technicalities a lot, but you can't pull yourself out of this one: the backlash WASN'T the characters or the franchise, it was the timing. Byleth was thought to be the last character in the game and that really pissed people off, and ARMS getting in as the first thing after Byleth angered people further. By the time the Aegis Reflectors showed up, their hype had diminished and people had mostly moved on to other hype trains to ride.

None of these responses would have been like this if they had been revealed during the time leading up to the launch of the game, especially not for ARMS or XBC2. I get the Smash community has this hateboner for Fire Emblem, but other characters from FE would be better received, and having Byleth use all the weapons is actually a really cool idea to and represents more of the game. At that time, people would have been saying 'Well, at least they aren't JUST another swordwielder, so I guess this is okay.'
Of course Frying pan gotta stay it’s her attack in SMRPG mainly the attacks that have no origin needs to be replaced

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Of course Frying pan gotta stay it’s her attack in SMRPG mainly the attacks that have no origin needs to be replaced
again they mostly come from smb2 and smrpg

also the frying pan could have come from game and watch gallery 2

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Her Final Smash could also stay the same as it references one of her spells since she is the White Mage of the group.

Though, if her final smash would change, how it be adjusted?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
again they mostly come from smb2 and smrpg
Same couldn’t be said about side and neutral special and down smash and many of her regular attacks like these kind of moves would be better if she uses Perry instead of regular umbrella also the fact that super princess peach offers a whole special gimmick on Peach based on her mood it would be a game changer like if Peach was a newcomer in ultimate these stuff would be expected to happen.

To me I see Peach moveset look so basic when I know she could do so much more after playing super princess Peach and can be more interesting

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Same couldn’t be said about side and up special and down smash and many of her regular attacks like these kind of moves would be better if she uses Perry instead of regular umbrella also the fact that super princess peach offers a whole special gimmick on Peach based on her mood it would be a game changer like if Peach was a newcomer in ultimate these stuff would be expected to happen.

To me I see Peach moveset look so basic when I know she could do so much more after playing super princess Peach and can be more interesting
she was shown using the parasol as a parachute in smrpg it comes from there. It was later updated to match her parasol from the games. The heart effects come from rpg as well. It’s really just the side special

what few moves of hers that are made up a no more than the vast majority of other melee and 64 characters so it seems a bit odd to single her out when Luigi fires himself like a missel

Geno Boost

Smash Master
she was shown using the parasol as a parachute in smrpg it comes from there. It was later updated to match her parasol from the games. The heart effects come from rpg as well. It’s really just the side special

what few moves of hers that are made up a no more than the vast majority of other melee and 64 characters so it seems a bit odd to single her out when Luigi fires himself like a missel
I meant neutral special I edited my post
as for heart effects it’s not an attack and it acts as healing move same goes to Rainbow effects
Here is display of her attacks in SMRPG

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
as for heart effects it’s not an attack and it acts as healing move same goes to Rainbow effects
did you miss the part where i described the hearts as effects not attacks? also how dare you claim toad came from nowhere

Quillion

Smash Hero

I guess Cappy and Tiara would make good drivers in Kart or even characters in Strikers. If you say them not having legs is a problem, Boo was a sidekick in Strikers Charged.

Like, hell, the Mario character we got this game was a generic mook. Mario's kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel for characters unless they finally add in Toad........ or Waluigi, but.... c'mon now.
Hey, a literal Koopa was a driver in the first Mario Kart all the way back on the SNES. Mario enemies being playable in Smash was a long time coming TBH. At least they're main series characters unlike Waluigi and Geno.

Not only Lyn, Ike and Roy also are basically grandfathered in popularity. But Smash has a lot to do with this too. However these two also score very high in popularity polls always, it's just Lyn has all this without being in Smash, and that's indeed quite big.

If a next FE character wouldn't bring much new in terms of gameplay, I'd suggest Lyn before such character too.
Yeah, but Mythra already fills the role of the blazing-fast swordsman with inhuman speed. There is nothing Lyn can do that Mythra isn't doing.

About Sakurai being hesitant about adding Zelda newcomers that aren't one offs or Triforce wielders, yeah that's been true up till now. But each game tried to do something with the Zelda cast. Melee had an explosion of new Zelda characters, Brawl had the designs of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf adjusted and did some moveset changes and added Toon Link at the expense of Young Link (also shoehorned Sheik in, whom they should've cut honestly to keep Mewtwo in but whatever), then Smash 4 separated Zelda and Sheik, which was weird cause here was the perfect opportunity to cut Sheik completely and add Impa instead, and Ultimate of course re-added Young Link and revamped Link and Ganondorf a little.

It's due time we get a new Zelda character, and it's easily the biggest omission so far out of the bigger Nintendo franchises. Dixie and Bandana Dee are much needed to, but since DKC got K.Rool last time, and Kirby is a smaller (yet more active) franchise than both, a new Zelda character honestly should take priority.

I do think that if Ultimate had a similar newcomer selection as Smash 4 did, we would've gotten a BotW Champion (likely Urbosa or Mipha). And I think this is quite a safe pick, as BotW gets a direct sequel now. In case of a reboot and not a Ultimate DX where the current cast stays, I would personally kick out the smaller Links and Sheik.
Impa's been a recurring secondary since the very beginning (albeit in the manual in that case). Tetra was always an important character for the "Wind Saga". I'd count on those two at least.

Even then, you gotta admit that the actually interesting options are one-shots. It's actually not too different from Kirby having its newer recurring characters Bandana Dee and Galacta Knight having generic and/or copypaste abilities while the actually interesting characters in that franchise are one-shots.

Bro, Ness is a healer in his home game too. It's the very thing he's best at in that game.

Unless they put in a hypothetical super special meter and allow you to heal by expending it, I don't see any more extensive healing than WFT's.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I guess Cappy and Tiara would make good drivers in Kart or even characters in Strikers. If you say them not having legs is a problem, Boo was a sidekick in Strikers Charged.

Hey, a literal Koopa was a driver in the first Mario Kart all the way back on the SNES. Mario enemies being playable in Smash was a long time coming TBH. At least they're main series characters unlike Waluigi and Geno.

Yeah, but Mythra already fills the role of the blazing-fast swordsman with inhuman speed. There is nothing Lyn can do that Mythra isn't doing.

Impa's been a recurring secondary since the very beginning (albeit in the manual in that case). Tetra was always an important character for the "Wind Saga". I'd count on those two at least.

Even then, you gotta admit that the actually interesting options are one-shots. It's actually not too different from Kirby having its newer recurring characters Bandana Dee and Galacta Knight having generic and/or copypaste abilities while the actually interesting characters in that franchise are one-shots.

Bro, Ness is a healer in his home game too. It's the very thing he's best at in that game.

Unless they put in a hypothetical super special meter and allow you to heal by expending it, I don't see any more extensive healing than WFT's.
I’m curious if that pretty much eliminates certain characters from consideration in Smash. It’s easy enough to work around someone like Sora and not give him a healing move but I’m not sure what we’d do for a white mage if one ever became popular or requested enough for Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I’m curious if that pretty much eliminates certain characters from consideration in Smash. It’s easy enough to work around someone like Sora and not give him a healing move but I’m not sure what we’d do for a white mage if one ever became popular or requested enough for Smash.
They'd pretty much have to be a turtle, and even casuals hate those.

Given that standard RPG procedure (at least in Japan) has the healer be the love interest and never a main protagonist, I highly doubt we'll get another Ness situation, especially with current "faithful" Smash 4-on moveset design standards.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Interestingly enough, I think the hateboner for Fire Emblem might've been the result of bad timing as well. I mean, I recall a lot of people being generally okay with the series up through base Smash4 (even if Lucina was a blatant clone, though Dark Pit seemed to receive much more flak for that due to being just a recolored Pit combined with Sakurai bias, plus Lucina's lack of a tipper at least somewhat differentiated her gameplay-wise). Roy's return, I think that was well-regarded....... and then it all went to crap with Corrin. It wasn't just the fact that this was a blatant advertisement, for a game not even released outside of Japan and only recently released in Japan. I think it was that combined with the fact that Fire Emblem representation had already grown exponentially in the span of one game (which included the return of the series' only cut veteran), and also the fact that this was one of the last DLCs being released for Smash4 (with only the also-controversial Bayonetta to follow, announced within the same Direct). I dunno, I'm sure Corrin would've received hate regardless due to being a blatant ad that almost nobody was familiar with (such was the case with Roy as well, but I guess he lucks out due to Melee's early installment wierdness), but I feel it would've been significantly less so had they just waited until later to re-introduce Roy (who would've been well-received regardless due to being a Melee vet, and in hindsight, he could've even skipped Smash4 entirely if there were already plans for Ultimate to have Everyone Is Here), or even if they saved Cloud for last rather than following him with the one-two punch of Corrin+Bayonetta's lukewarm receptions.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The two main white mages I’d love to see are Princess Garnet from Final Fantasy IX and Shionne from Tales of Arise. Thankfully, both of these characters have more to pull from beyond just healing magic with Garnet using her racket and summons and Shionne using her gun, black magic, and potential pairing with Alphen. I’d like to see each have one healing move if it can be balanced properly though.

Top Bottom