• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
1714082796937.png

---
Anyway, besides that, if choosing a indie game/series that hasn't been picked yet, I'm going with Culdcept. While almost all of it's games are published by a notably big company, like the 3DS and Revolt games by Nintendo, the game series is owned by it's developers, Omiya Soft. Much like how Shantae's first game was published by Capcom when it first released, but Wayforward is the owner to her franchise.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
no i specifically wanna play as mario
some of his moves are passable but most of them are generic punch kick guy. i'd rather play as a character than a function.
You are playing as a character. Mario isn't perfect, but at least he does a great job of being a beginner-friendly character with an intuitive moveset.

Every single move a character can do doesn't to be an epic heckin' reference to something they did before, because that would ruin the mechanical cohesion of most characters on the roster, and many characters don't even have enough source material for every move slot. Even the most storied characters would just want to punch someone in the face if they were put into a fight.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've been seeing a variety of Indie game character picks and ideas, including several recurring ones like Hollow Knight ,Hat Kid, Peppino and the Goose. Solid picks!

I'm not surprised a lot of people picked Hollow Knight. The game is immensely popular.

I really need to play the game, myself. I've always thought the character's design was cool, and I do have a copy of it. I just...haven't gotten around to playing it. And a number of other games lmao.

The Knight from Hollow Knight is an obvious one, but there's others I'd love to see:

-Dorothy (Steamworld Dig 2)
-Champion (Mark of the Ninja)
-Hat Kid (Hat in Time)
-Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)
- Lunais (Timespinner)
You're talking my language! Ori and the Blind Forest and A Hat in Time are easily some of my favorite Indie games, and both characters have got a ton of moveset potential.

Mark of the Ninja also sounds familiar, Judging by the name alone I wouldn't be surprised if the main character(s) have a ton of moveset potential just going off of their abilities they have in the game.

Freddy or Springtrap (preferably the latter)
Peppino
Anton
Pilgor the Goat
The Goose
Ultra Fishbunjin 3000
Arzette
Impostor
Monika
Mainly just Peppino, the Noise, and Anton. Penny would be cool too, but she's not a character I actively want.
At this rate, depending on how the next game is handled, I actually wouldn't be shocked if we get some kind of FNaF content in Smash. Same goes for Among Us.

Also, can't go wrong with Peppino.

She probably classifies as super popular, but I think Reimu or anyone from Touhou would be an interesting pick as long as the content included was only from stuff ZUN created.
Nothing wrong with super popular like Touhou. Any Indie game goes, really.

The only reason I mentioned Shantae, Shovel Knight and Sans is because they're both pretty much the most frequently brought up Indie contenders for Smash and all already made an appearance of some kind inf Ultimate.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I feel that way about most third parties, but there’s barely any precedent for what to expect. Namco is most definitely developing the next game and Joker was a big hit. Tekken and Persona are also big, important franchises in their own right. But also Dragon Quest is as big as Mario and Pokemon in Japan, Sephiroth is probably the most popular villain in gaming, Sora is the most requested Smash character ever, Minecraft is Minecraft, Banjo is like an honorary Nintendo character, Simon is a great representative of the NES.

We don’t really know if these are just guest characters at the end of the day, but I do believe that each of them have tons of reasons to be brought back and I imagine they all will, but I don’t feel comfortable calling them “likely.” Just “very popular, unique characters that are important to gaming and would be extremely tragic to lose.” It looks like Nintendo could get them all back and I believe there is more than enough incentive, but it’s still a bit of a question mark.
I think guest characters in Smash are diferent than other franchises, i think they don't intend most of them to be one and done, i think i wouldn't even call them guests, just 3rd party characters.

Also about Reimu, what would say are her chances, Touhou is in a unique position.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight and Zagreus are the big indie wants for me, but who the hell doesn’t love those guys?

Aside from them, The Messenger is maybe my favorite action platformer of all time and I would love to see it represented in Smash. The main character has a sick design and coming up with a good moveset would take very little effort. It would be pretty goofy though, considering The Messenger takes extensive inspiration from Ninja Gaiden.

I actually loved The Messenger so much that it’s a big reason why I want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash. In addition to Nioh, and especially Nioh 2, both being among my favorite games of the past decade and they are basically a love child between Dark Souls and the 3D Ninja Gaiden games. Despite only having a moderate interest in Ninja Gaiden, I have a massive appreciation for its legacy and would love to see Hayabusa in Smash for that reason.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
At this rate, depending on how the next game is handled, I actually wouldn't be shocked if we get some kind of FNaF content in Smash. Same goes for Among Us.
FNAF defintely is a big enough deal among indies. But the biggest hurdle is that games that haven't been released in Japan tend to get ignored in Smash, and so far only Security Breach had been sold in Japan.

But at least the movie had been released as well in February, official Japanese merch exists, and there was even a Pop-Up store for the franchise in Tokyo and Osaka earlier this year, so it's not like the series is unknown, just no official Japanese release of the earlier games.

It really depends on if Sakurai/Nintendo is willing to overlook that when DLC comes around (because let's face it, it'd probably be post-release content :V)

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I could totally see something like, to reuse the example, Kazuya getting cut but Lloyd Irving making it in as a newcomer. That sort of thing is not very farfetched at all. (As an aside, I don't even think Lloyd is a clear "downgrade" from Tekken, anyway, due to his history of demand from Smash fans?)

The third party roster has to be viewed differently. It can't afford to build iteratively on itself in the same way the rest of the roster generally has so far, at least not if they're going to deluge us with 3Ps in DLC like they have. It's just not sustainable with respect to the relative amount of third party content they've been historically comfortable with in the base game, and of course licensing and all that jazz only throws a further wrench into things. There's probably going to have to be some rotating out to accommodate new faces. Because new faces are important for pushing the marketing, those new faces are going to have to come from companies willing to play ball, and there isn't going to be room for everyone. Maybe that doesn't follow what we've come to expect from the series, but again things may just have to operate differently this time, as we have entered into an entirely unprecedented situation.

--

I think there's a little more merit for this happening to the supporting casts for first-party franchises because we've seen those types of characters cut more consistently. We also have a good idea of why these types of characters get cut and it's all about priority. I could see something happening like Bowser Jr., Meta Knight, or Isabelle getting knocked down in terms of priority because Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, or Tom Nook is being added instead. Whether they'd become so deprioritized that they wouldn't make the base roster is a little more questionable though.
Now, to be clear, I do think there will very likely be first party franchises who see both cuts and newcomers, and we've already seen in past games that newcomers can get higher priority than same-franchise vets (just for one example, Ike over Roy in Brawl, even though Roy would've been cheaper resource-wise).

However, I think your example is poorly chosen. Meta Knight and Isabelle are both practically guaranteed to return; Jr is more questionable, but his recent resurgence in Bowser's Fury and Wonder makes me think he will ultimately be pretty safe.

But mainly, I should reply to this part: "because we've seen those types of characters cut more consistently."
If this is meant to compare the situation to the third parties, it doesn't work to make that comparison because we've literally only had one non-EiH game where third parties even had a chance to be cut; that was Smash 4, and only 1 out of 2 third parties returned, which isn't much of a sample to work with.
If this is meant to compare with cutting sole reps for franchises, then I'd be inclined to agree when it comes to the first parties, as I think they'll be generally pretty reluctant to cut entire first party franchises. However, the logic doesn't really extend to third party franchises because that quickly turns into "Sephiroth might be cut but the rest of the third parties will stay bar licensing issues," which definitely doesn't check out. Again, the logic and precedent that applies to 1Ps doesn't transfer 1:1 to 3Ps.

Anyway, ultimately I do think we will see some vets get out-prioritized by same-series newcomers, but I wouldn't rule out third parties potentially getting out-prioritized by same-company reps, either.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as restructuring goes, my thoughts are thus:
  • Mario characters
    • This series has a big number of characters that have to stick around, and Dr. Mario isn't a full character, so I'm not sure he's relevant to the idea. This leaves us with Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., and Piranha Plant. You could axe all three of them, but with how prominent Bowser Jr. tends to be, I'd say he's probably sticking around unless they really have to downsize.
  • Donkey Kong
    • Perhaps King K. Rool could be cut for Dixie Kong, but honestly feel it's more likely that the series just gets less characters.
  • Metroid
    • I honestly have no idea what will happen here. Samus and her Echo Fighter are the only guarantees in my mind.
  • Kirby
    • Cutting anyone here would be huge. Meta Knight could go if they really had to drop him, but it would be a heavy loss. If we're swapping, I'd only do it with Bandana Waddle Dee, not Magolor.
  • Pokémon
    • This is a weird one because just about everyone here is a must have, but are a lot of replacement options. You could legit, reboot this entire space on the roster and have something just as big.
  • Star Fox
    • You could drop Falco or Wolf for Krystal. Dropping Wolf would probably be the better option in this case. Personally, I don't think they'd actually do this.
  • Earthbound
    • You could cut Lucas for someone else, though I think it'd be more likely for just Lucas to be dropped.
  • Fire Emblem
    • See Pokémon.
  • Kid Icarus
    • I don't think cutting Palutena for someone else really works. Maybe Hades?
  • Animal Crossing
    • I don't think Isabelle is 100% necessary, and could be replaced with Tom Nook, though since Isabelle is a clone and Tom Nook probably wouldn't be, maybe you can't literally do that.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
    • There are a lot of cool party members that you could add, but I think what will happen instead is that Pyra/Mythra will get the axe to make way for Noah and/or Mio, and as the series goes on we'll have a different assortment of protagonists getting added, readded, and taken away with Shulk being the only constant.
  • Final Fantasy
    • Could add someone who isn't from Final Fantasy VII. Probably not though.
  • Castlevania
    • Could add Alucard instead? I think we'd be more likely to see both than an outright replacement.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You are playing as a character. Mario isn't perfect, but at least he does a great job of being a beginner-friendly character with an intuitive moveset.

Every single move a character can do doesn't to be an epic heckin' reference to something they did before, because that would ruin the mechanical cohesion of most characters on the roster, and many characters don't even have enough source material for every move slot. Even the most storied characters would just want to punch someone in the face if they were put into a fight.
Even then, a lot of Mario's punches and kicks are already references.

His jab is from 64. His dash attack is from 64. His forward air takes inspiration from Mario RPG. Just to name a few.

Mario is not a character lacking in references.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I think guest characters in Smash are diferent than other franchises, i think they don't intend most of them to be one and done, i think i wouldn't even call them guests, just 3rd party characters.

Also about Reimu, what would say are her chances, Touhou is in a unique position.
It would probably be one of the easiest negotiations Nintendo has ever done for a 3rd party character in smash. ZUN does not give a ****. That said I think anything Touhou is unlikely in the base game considering its unique position as a product of the internet more than console gaming. I think the most likely "true" indie rep is Shantae considering how long she's been a request, the history with Nintendo, and getting a Mii costume in Ultimate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think I’m in the minority on this one but I’d actually keep Isabelle over Villager if we could only have one. Isabelle is a fun character with a funny personality where Villager is another avatar. I’m not really big on silent avatars in general so I’d usually go with the other option. Similarly, I’d have gone with Elma before Cross and I’d have preferred one of the House leaders over Byleth.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
I think I’m in the minority on this one but I’d actually keep Isabelle over Villager if we could only have one. Isabelle is a fun character with a funny personality where Villager is another avatar. I’m not really big on silent avatars in general so I’d usually go with the other option. Similarly, I’d have gone with Elma before Cross and I’d have preferred one of the House leaders over Byleth.
Isabelle is also 10x more fun to play than villager

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I can understand that mentality. I think it would be way easier to tolerate if there were more means to have costumes for the avatar fighters, but eight options just aren't enough, especially when the first two are typically the default skins. Inkling suffers the worst from this problem, though that could be too hot a take.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think this take is especially controversial since I've said it a few times over and come out pretty unscathed, but I will still defend Villager on the front that Animal Crossing has such a striking visual identity that the character really does come off as their own thing and not simply an insert. And during Smash 4 when Villager was added, they were the best choice - Tom Nook was taking a relative backseat, and Isabelle was brand spanking new.

But I do truly believe anyone treating Isabelle as anything less than an absolute, unquestionable lock is selling her short. Really, Isabelle has always been sold short. Skepticism of Animal Crossing needing another character was present in Ultimate speculation, and Isabelle was only accepted as feasible in the first place because she would apparently be an echo. Meanwhile she was built effectively from scratch since she does not share a body rig with Villager and animates differently. Today I see the same thing happen with Tom Nook, and I fully expect history to repeat itself, but I digress.

It's interesting me that Isabelle can be thrust so actively in everyone's face for however many years now and anyone thinks there's even the slightest chance she isn't a high priority returnee. Even if we somehow full reboot and we're down to like 20 characters, she's one of them. I don't think we're in much danger of losing either Isabelle or Villager, but perhaps I'd argue Isabelle is more crucial to representing Animal Crossing in its current state whereas Villager is still carrying a design that is now a decade out of date. I wonder if there's any chance Villager sees a growth spurt next game? I kinda hope not, because the one we have is the superior design in my eyes (male Villager, at least). The balance these two are able to strike is pretty snug between the old and new.

1714091162682.png
1714091247772.png

(I'm just gonna keep posting these until everyone gets the memo. Hey, Villager is there too! And the Nooklings in that second one, funny enough. Isabelle is the constant.)

I've seen this sentiment a couple times that maybe Isabelle is taken down a peg or two next time in favor of adding in Tom Nook, and yeah it just doesn't really fly. The more practical assumption is that Animal Crossing, being kind of the standout champion of the Switch era quite frankly, would simply be high priority to both maintain its two established characters and add a new one. Any time I see someone humoring the prospect of Isabelle being expendable I just wonder if we've been following the same company.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I would prefer Isabelle too. She a good girl (and waifu). I do think if they somehow had to pick one, they would (and prolly should) go with Villager, he's the one repping the core gameplay loop (+the originator), but it's never gonna get to the point they'll have to make that choice so it doesn't really matter.

No one asked, but I'm posting my takes on which veterans I expect to return.

View attachment 388479
You're mostly on my wavelength fr, but I do have some criticisms;
  • I feel like at least one of Villager and Isabelle is a 100% Lock. Animal Crossing is too big a part of Nintendo now, legit corporate Nintendo prolly wouldn't even allow Sakurai to not include one AC character.
  • I think Diddy Kong belongs more in the "might as well be a lock" tier but that's kinda being nitpicky. I feel like that's true of Charizard too, one of the few gaming characters even normies can recognize and we have proof Pokemon Trainer's fate does not affect him.
  • I don't see Chrom over Roy. I don't think a echo is gonna get prioritzed over the originator, it doesn't really make sense when you consider how echos are developed. I also don't see all 3 Awakening reps sticking around in a culling, and I'm pretty sure Lucina is the more popular of the two anyways. I'm still mulling it but I'd prolly just swap Lucina and Chrom.
I also was about to criticize Falco and especially Ike and Lucario being in the second lowest tier, but I realized you cast a pretty wide net up to like 60% for that tier so that's fair enough assuming they're in the upper half. Honestly I realized how thorny that middle ground is when typing out a response so I just checked out lmao. Doing my own version of this is not gonna be fun

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Indie Game rep is pretty easy imo

terraria or stardew.

Anyway I just wanna what do people want out of a new Spaltoon rep?

a lot say long as an echo but imo that’s a pretty big disservice.

inkling only represent splatoon 1 and comes from a time where the series don’t really have a direction.

I would add agent 8 instead of a generic octoling.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I don't think this take is especially controversial since I've said it a few times over and come out pretty unscathed, but I will still defend Villager on the front that Animal Crossing has such a striking visual identity that the character really does come off as their own thing and not simply an insert. And during Smash 4 when Villager was added, they were the best choice - Tom Nook was taking a relative backseat, and Isabelle was brand spanking new.

But I do truly believe anyone treating Isabelle as anything less than an absolute, unquestionable lock is selling her short. Really, Isabelle has always been sold short. Skepticism of Animal Crossing needing another character was present in Ultimate speculation, and Isabelle was only accepted as feasible in the first place because she would apparently be an echo. Meanwhile she was built effectively from scratch since she does not share a body rig with Villager and animates differently. Today I see the same thing happen with Tom Nook, and I fully expect history to repeat itself, but I digress.

It's interesting me that Isabelle can be thrust so actively in everyone's face for however many years now and anyone thinks there's even the slightest chance she isn't a high priority returnee. Even if we somehow full reboot and we're down to like 20 characters, she's one of them. I don't think we're in much danger of losing either Isabelle or Villager, but perhaps I'd argue Isabelle is more crucial to representing Animal Crossing in its current state whereas Villager is still carrying a design that is now a decade out of date. I wonder if there's any chance Villager sees a growth spurt next game? I kinda hope not, because the one we have is the superior design in my eyes (male Villager, at least). The balance these two are able to strike is pretty snug between the old and new.

View attachment 388494View attachment 388495
(I'm just gonna keep posting these until everyone gets the memo. Hey, Villager is there too! And the Nooklings in that second one, funny enough. Isabelle is the constant.)

I've seen this sentiment a couple times that maybe Isabelle is taken down a peg or two next time in favor of adding in Tom Nook, and yeah it just doesn't really fly. The more practical assumption is that Animal Crossing, being kind of the standout champion of the Switch era quite frankly, would simply be high priority to both maintain its two established characters and add a new one. Any time I see someone humoring the prospect of Isabelle being expendable I just wonder if we've been following the same company.
I think Nintendo secretly hates Olimar. (Pikmin are here but not Him)

Mascot bias, i guess?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No one asked, but I'm posting my takes on which veterans I expect to return.
I'm curious, why does Pac-Man end up a step below Sonic / Mega Man / Ryu? I know you anticipate him coming back regardless, but I'd confidently put him among that pack as a firmly cemented staple third party ambassador. Especially with Smash's established association with Namco at this point.

Cloud and Terry, even though I think they both have a good chance at coming back too, feel like cases where there are slightly more obstacles. I think Cloud is #1 priority for Square Enix too, but they could always opt for Hero instead. And Terry may be deemed a bit lesser priority compared to some other guest characters, although SNK would probably love to get called back on board. I really hope he does return but I'm not quite as confident as you are.

Personally, I'd probably put Simon somewhere around that area of likelihood. Castlevania got it real good in Ultimate, comparable to Mega Man before it.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Villager and Isabelle are both coming back, end of story. I hope people entertaining this realize that if we're to the point where one of these two is getting cut, then pretty much all non-Echo derivatives are getting cut. Save possibly for saying that some form of Ganon/Ganondorf should be there, no one else is taking precedence over whichever of the AC duo is the second-most important.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

View attachment 388494View attachment 388495

People have always been weird about animal crossing.

Even back on the ds it was outselling everything except Pokémon and Mario, it was quite a bit larger than Zelda Metroid or any other Nintendo franchise for a long time

Personally I think ac has a good shot at 2 newcomers next game.

kk slider and Tom nook.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

Mascot bias, i guess?
I mean, this makes total sense. Nobody knows the series for Olimar. People know the Pikmin because they're cute, marketable, the name of the series, and on the cover art of every game. Olimar isn't any of those. He's a little balding astronaut dude.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I mean, this makes total sense. Nobody knows the series for Olimar. People know the Pikmin because they're cute, marketable, the name of the series, and on the cover art of every game. Olimar isn't any of those. He's a little balding astronaut dude.
Also, this should've Expanded with other Main Nintendo franchises (No Pokémon, No Kirby, No Fire Emblem. Those are co-owned)
Like Donkey Kong, Wario, Samus, Captain Falcon and Fox.
I know this ain't Super Smash Bros. but i want to see an update of this.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Also, this should've Expanded with other Main Nintendo franchises (No Pokémon, No Kirby, No Fire Emblem. Those are co-owned)
Like Donkey Kong, Wario, Samus, Captain Falcon and Fox.
I know this ain't Super Smash Bros. but i want to see an update of this.
I think the inclusion not to include those characters was deliberate. Aside from DK and maybe Wario, none of these are really as iconic as the ones on the already existing artwork.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Mascot bias, i guess?
On the other hand, they very easily could have made Pikmin 4 without Olimar in it. Or given him a much smaller role than they did. But they didn't. If they're trying to erase Olimar, they should be doing a much better job of it.

Though yeah the Pikmin themselves do get a ton of merch and publicity, and are probably the most recognizable imagery associated to the series.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally I think ac has a good shot at 2 newcomers next game.

kk slider and Tom nook.
Coincidentally, they're also a couple of the only characters on that Nintendo Store Tokyo lineup absent from the playable roster. Outside of enemy types (Koopa Troopa, Bullet Bill, Lakitu), the Nooklings (who are more or less an extension of Nook) and...

Toad. Well, that's awkward. Obviously that one has got some complicated history in respect to Smash, but maybe a little poetic that the Toads represented here are two identical characters serving Princess Peach and not THE Toad, or Captain Toad.

Other than the Mario species it's pretty notable that there's such a focus on Animal Crossing's cast and how there's ample room to reflect that on Smash's roster. Not that I would weigh something this arbitrary so definitively, but it's moreso a good way to tell us which series and which characters are most important to Nintendo's brand right now.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
On the topic of clones; you could pick any of Melee's six clones, who would you pick and why? For me:
  1. Young Link (Link clone)
  2. Falco (Fox clone)
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Peach/Zelda clone)
  4. Bubbles (Kirby clone)
  5. Mach Rider (Captain Falcon clone)
  6. Balloon Fighter (Mario/Luigi clone)
Honestly, I’d probably just replace Dr. Mario or Ganondorf with Daisy as she was relevant again with the N64 Mario Tennis release.

How do you guys feel about Piranha Plant's chances of returning?
Unfortunately, I think the strawberry plant is probably one of the first to go given that it seemed like a lower priority fighter going into Ultimate, and I really only see it returning if the developers really want a playable mook.

This hasn’t been posted yet, it’s cool to see the development process of Smash Remix, and it seems that Meowth, Waluigi, and Mach Rider were considered for the playable roster.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Mascot bias, i guess?
I will not tolerate this Olimar erasure. I love him just as much as the Pikmin and I wish Nintendo wouldn't shy away from promoting him more. He's one of Nintendo's best-written characters.

"Nobody knows the series for Olimar."
I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, know the series from Olimar's appearance in Smash. He's a big part of what got me into the series.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The Marketing Team at Nintendo working on the promotional art for Nintendo Store be like:

This hasn’t been posted yet, it’s cool to see the development process of Smash Remix, and it seems that Meowth, Waluigi, and Mach Rider were considered for the playable roster.
Maybe they could save the unused stages for a bonus update.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Mascot bias, i guess?
The Pikmin are effectively the main characters of the series, yeah.

Compare it to something like Pokémon. When you think of either series, what do you think of first: the eponymous creatures, or the characters directing them?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It is pretty odd that Donkey Kong gets snubbed out in that graphic, out of anyone. I can nitpick about this or that character but he's the one whose absence is immediately striking. I guess it feels like they just chose to lean on their four pillar brands at the moment, but DK is adjacent enough to Mario that I'd expect him to make a special appearance regardless. Ultimately doesn't mean all that much, but it's a bit sad that the ape who started it all can't join the parade.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is pretty odd that Donkey Kong gets snubbed out in that graphic, out of anyone. I can nitpick about this or that character but he's the one whose absence is immediately striking. I guess it feels like they just chose to lean on their four pillar brands at the moment, but DK is adjacent enough to Mario that I'd expect him to make a special appearance regardless. Ultimately doesn't mean all that much, but it's a bit sad that the ape who started it all can't join the parade.
I mean, Cranky Kong started it all.

Joking aside, yeah, Donkey Kong has no business being left out.

I can understand not entirely having Olimar there, but not even another Captain(like the latest one). I get the Pikmin are pretty much the core characters, with the Captain mostly interchangeable as a concept, but each one is still quite different and unique~ It's too bad not even one is getting some limelight here.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm very interested to see the implementation of Ring & Ring Fit Trainee. A lot of people (myself included to an extent) have been equating them with Wii Fit Trainer, but they can't just make them Wii Fit Trainer 2 because well, jokes aren't funny the second time. That and Wii Fit Trainer telling their opponents to "keep their gluts tucked" in hits differently compared to Ring telling Ring Fit Trainee that they should "feel it in their stomach, not their arms" due to the shift in context. I also feel the characters on their own will be a hard sell since the original context is that Ring is a generically positive fitness coach helping you on a fitness journey, but since the character no longer represents you, it's impossible to care about them in the same way.

What I hope they do instead is go absolutely bonkers with the idea of this being Jojo's Bizarre Workout Routine, the character. Go all out on pummeling opponents with energy body parts (and also lotuses...) with fitness as their power source. The harder they work, the more powerful they become. Maybe moving around increases their damage, or they have the ability to charge all of their attacks.

I dunno. Just something I've been thinking about.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm very interested to see the implementation of Ring & Ring Fit Trainee. A lot of people (myself included to an extent) have been equating them with Wii Fit Trainer, but they can't just make them Wii Fit Trainer 2 because well, jokes aren't funny the second time. That and Wii Fit Trainer telling their opponents to "keep their gluts tucked" in hits differently compared to Ring telling Ring Fit Trainee that they should "feel it in their stomach, not their arms" due to the shift in context. I also feel the characters on their own will be a hard sell since the original context is that Ring is a generically positive fitness coach helping you on a fitness journey, but since the character no longer represents you, it's impossible to care about them in the same way.

What I hope they do instead is go absolutely bonkers with the idea of this being Jojo's Bizarre Workout Routine, the character. Go all out on pummeling opponents with energy body parts (and also lotuses...) with fitness as their power source. The harder they work, the more powerful they become. Maybe moving around increases their damage, or they have the ability to charge all of their attacks.

I dunno. Just something I've been thinking about.
That’s what I’ve been saying about Ring Fit Trainee for years, ever since I got Ring Fit Adventure for Christmas 2019.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Outside of spin offs I imagine they would wanna keep them seperate but then they showed up in the Mario movie.

they’re pretty unclear of if dk is a Mario character first or a donkey kong character first.

though I imagine he’ll be plastered everywhere whenever the new dk game comes out.

New dk could proabably sell 10mil

That’s what I’ve been saying about Ring Fit Trainee for years, ever since I got Ring Fit Adventure for Christmas 2019.
I dont know why people aren’t putting them as the most likely, their game did much better than splatoon s 1st game and this isn’t a wii situation where the game is pretty much tied to the brand of the console.

ring fit has nothing to do with the switch other than being exclusive to it.
Ring fit 2 feels like a garuntee.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm not personally interested in Ring Fit Trainee as the character, but I think the fact they could use the Ring as a Weapon of somekind is already a unique trait of the character, along with the fact they are also a Windbender (going by the spirit battle)? I Imagine the Fitness part of the character will be used to structure a basis for some of the Attacks the Ring Fit Trainees use, and not as a main selling point like how Yoga poses is with Wii Fit Trainer

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
they’re pretty unclear of if dk is a Mario character first or a donkey kong character first.
Mario was a character in Donkey Kong

And that means every character that once was from Mario (Yoshi, Wario, the RPGs, the Sports spin-offs, the Mario Party one-offs, Rhythm Heaven, the ones from the cartoons and movies and other adaptions) is technically a DK character. (emphasis in Technically)
/jk

Last edited:
Top Bottom