• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm playing through Red Dead Redemption and I kinda want John Marston to get in Smash lol.
He'd have to be made a little more cartoony but he could work, I've always wanted a cowboy in Smash and the game has enough mechanics to make him work.
Can’t say I’ve ever played a Red Dead game but I can relate to thinking about how cool a character would be in Smash when you’re playing their game. I just beat Triangle Strategy for the second time in order to get the good ending and I was thinking how cool content from that game would be in Smash. I think the main female character, Frederica Aesfrost has a lot of fun abilities and she’s just a good relatable character.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
How the **** did Little Mac fall down there?

I know he can't recover but that's way too low for him.
Yeah, I don't get how there's so much doubt on Little Mac's chances. That's just so wrong.

I'm playing through Red Dead Redemption and I kinda want John Marston to get in Smash lol.
He'd have to be made a little more cartoony but he could work, I've always wanted a cowboy in Smash and the game has enough mechanics to make him work.
Kirby hat is ready for him.

1714074573523.png

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Red Dead probably has a much better chance of getting in as a Rockstar rep than GTA does. I mean, we've already discussed that the GTA series is notorious for its controversies. Then again, Rockstar always has been controversial, so...

John Marston would be pretty cool, but still unlikely.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
Made a tier list based much of a priority I think it would be for certain veterans to return.
View attachment 388473
Where's Chrom and Dark Samus?

How do you guys feel about Piranha Plant's chances of returning?
As others have said, he's not a very essential character from a series already stacked with fighters, and is easily the least needed for said series, and was seemingly already very low priority in Ultimate. I feel pretty confident guessing he's below all the Ult newcomers and probably bottom 5 priority in general. Certiantly among non-clone/first party characters at least, I can't think of more than like, 1-2 he might reasonably get priority over.

I mean regardless of how you feel about his inclusion, this is a character that quickly becomes hard to justify keeping over the rest in any scenario where space becomes limited. Like, imagine if first party single rep series/fan favorite supplemental picks from smaller series got cut but we still had Plant. "Yeah we cut Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers, but look guys, Plant!" Yeah, that'd be ********. tldr; probably in danger in even a minimal cuts scenario

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So, a lot of franchises that were added in Smash 4 onwards only have one stage. The older franchises have a variety of stages but it always struck me as strange that some of these prominent franchises only have one. Even something as limited as Ice Climber had two stages.

So let's try and make a new stage for the Smash 4 onwards franchise that only have one.

:ultmegaman:Gravity Man's Stage, implementing the gravity flipping mechanic to some extent
:ultwiifittrainer:Tightrope Walk
:ultlittlemac:NYC Street with the jogging scene as a stage cameo when Little Mac is not being played
:ultryu:Fighting Barroom with some implementation of the climbable walls Vega uses
:ultsimon:Clock Tower
Rusty Bucket Bay Engine Room
:ultminminVia Dolce
:ultsteve:Nether Fortress, with Blazes and Wither Skeletons occasionally appearing as stage hazards
:ultsora:Twilight Town
I gave up on the other series, they didn't have any other potential stages that seemed interesting to me.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
So, a lot of franchises that were added in Smash 4 onwards only have one stage. The older franchises have a variety of stages but it always struck me as strange that some of these prominent franchises only have one. Even something as limited as Ice Climber had two stages.

So let's try and make a new stage for the Smash 4 onwards franchise that only have one.
Only doing a few because these are the ones I'm most familiar with:

Splatoon - NILS Statue
Persona - Midnight Channel
Banjo Kazooie -Treasure Trove Cove
ARMS - [NAME REDACTED]
Minecraft - The Nether

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
In recent news, Source engine games are clearly on Nintendo's radar. I think Gordon Freeman's chances are better than ever guys!
Choosing to believe the whole Garry's Mod fiasco is a false flag by trolls until outright confirmed otherwise. Why would Nintendo go after mods of a 20 year old game like this? To be petty? There's no way they spent a whole two decades in obliviousness to the game's existence.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:ultlittlemac:NYC Street with the jogging scene as a stage cameo when Little Mac is not being played
This is definitely the way to go, I think that'd be a fantastic stage.

Punch-Out is inherently limited in its locations but this is the one other iconic locale that feels like a reasonable option. Fighting against the harbor and the city skyline would be a really cool visual... and the novelty of the Smash characters just fighting in real life New York City. I just hope they'd make it look nice and pretty rather than going for a retro scrolling stage like Pac-Land, that would kill my excitement by quite a bit lol.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Those franchises would be...

Mega Man
Wii Fit
Punch Out!!
Duck Hunt
Street Fighter
Bayonetta
Splatoon
Castlevania
Persona
Dragon Quest
Banjo Kazooie
Fatal Fury / King of Fighters
ARMS
MineCraft
Tekken
Kingdom Hearts
:ultryu: Metro City
:ult_terry: Geese Tower
:ultkazuya: Dragon's Nest

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's an interesting question: what are some Indie game characters you'd like to see in Smash?

Outside of the already extremely popular ones like Shantae, Shovel Knight and Sans. I mean. Those ones are already heavily requested and are popular enough that they've all landed appearances in Ultimate in some manner, even if not as playable characters. I'm asking for Indie characters who haven't made any kind appearance in a Smash game yet. They can from either be Indie games that are already popular or lesser known titles. Anything goes as long as it's a character from an Indie game.

I thought about asking what characters everyone here would like to see in a roster for a hypothetical Indie-game exclusive crossover fighter game (which could include anything from playable/main characters to antagonists and secondary characters as Smash itself does) rather than just more newcomers to Smash , but perhaps this isn't the right thread for that topic.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Here's an interesting question: what are some Indie game characters you'd like to see in Smash?

Outside of the already extremely popular ones like Shantae, Shovel Knight and Sans. I mean. Those ones are already heavily requested and are popular enough that they've all landed appearances in Ultimate in some manner, even if not as playable characters. I'm asking for Indie characters who haven't made any kind appearance in a Smash game yet. They can from either be Indie games that are already popular or lesser known titles. Anything goes as long as it's a character from an Indie game.

I thought about asking what characters everyone here would like to see in a roster for a hypothetical Indie-game exclusive crossover fighter game (which could include anything from playable/main characters to antagonists and secondary characters as Smash itself does) rather than just more newcomers to Smash , but perhaps this isn't the right thread for that topic.
How about The Knight from Hollow Knight and Zagreus from Hades?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

The Knight from Hollow Knight is an obvious one, but there's others I'd love to see:

-Dorothy (Steamworld Dig 2)
-Champion (Mark of the Ninja)
-Hat Kid (Hat in Time)
-Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)
- Lunais (Timespinner)

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace

Freddy or Springtrap (preferably the latter)
Peppino
Anton
Pilgor the Goat
The Goose
Ultra Fishbunjin 3000
Arzette
Impostor
Monika

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

The Knight (hollow knight)
Hat Kid (a hat in time)
Yooka and Laylee
i'm quite fond of spiritfarer as well but i'm not sure the tone of the game is suited to smash

The Raven from death's door, the fox from tunic they'd be cool as well. as would a creature from cassette beasts

there's a couple recent indie games i've played that spring to mind but i'm not sure it's even worth mentioning them

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem is that he might be a bit too serious for Smash Bros. even Kazuya Mishima is a goofbal, look at him.

JK, i think he would be interesting tbh.

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice

She probably classifies as super popular, but I think Reimu or anyone from Touhou would be an interesting pick as long as the content included was only from stuff ZUN created.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Zagreus might be a cool pick.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Zagreus and Melinoe from Hades
Miriam from Bloodstained
The Goose
Something from Cassette Beasts, maybe Traffikrab, Sirenade or Gearyu
The Penitent One from Blasphemous
Sakuya Izayoi

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet

If Umihara Kawase counts then I think that series would be great.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet

Geometry Dash Cube xd Ori from Will of the wisps. If Smash dosen't wanna give us a universal air dash, at least give us one character who can.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I think Joker and Kaz are more likely to return than people think.
I feel that way about most third parties, but there’s barely any precedent for what to expect. Namco is most definitely developing the next game and Joker was a big hit. Tekken and Persona are also big, important franchises in their own right. But also Dragon Quest is as big as Mario and Pokemon in Japan, Sephiroth is probably the most popular villain in gaming, Sora is the most requested Smash character ever, Minecraft is Minecraft, Banjo is like an honorary Nintendo character, Simon is a great representative of the NES.

We don’t really know if these are just guest characters at the end of the day, but I do believe that each of them have tons of reasons to be brought back and I imagine they all will, but I don’t feel comfortable calling them “likely.” Just “very popular, unique characters that are important to gaming and would be extremely tragic to lose.” It looks like Nintendo could get them all back and I believe there is more than enough incentive, but it’s still a bit of a question mark.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I don’t really play a ton of indie games but here’s a few of my favorites from the ones I have played:

Mako from Brawlhala
1714081873096.png

Kerosion from Nexomon
1714081966692.png

Yooka and Laylee
1714082239876.png

I haven’t played their games but Zagreus (Hades), Hornet (Hollow Knight), and Shovel Knight have pretty cool designs that would be fun for Smash.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Sorry, but this really doesn't work with Smash Bros. Each character is already designed with a certain amount of authenticity in mind, suited to specific roles that best classify each character. Like Mario and Kirby need to be beginner characters, there isn't a ton of flexibility here to make them over the top crazy. Sure, there's a lot you can do, but there needs to be an amount of cohesion to it and it can't be too unwieldly.

Some characters can get away with full reworks, I think. Like Link, or Samus. But Link probably isn't going to stop using arrows and bombs, Samus probably isn't going to abandon the charge shot and missiles. There's a lot of flexibility in respect to how these moves can operate, but the essences of each character are clearly thought out and best matched to the most efficient way to represent what they are about. Making too many of these changes comes off arbitrary and risks making the characters feel even less like themselves.

Not to mention certain essential returning characters, like (IMO) Peach or King Dedede, who personally I feel are about as well done as they could be give or take a move or two. Saying every character gets revamped is one thing, saying they all get entirely new movesets is a totally different thing. Not even to mention characters like Fox or Villager / Isabelle - where do we go with them? Everyone has potential to grow and change, but arbitrarily changing everything about the current roster is over-correcting and unlikely unless the entire structure of the game changes and everyone is forced to accommodate it. Which I'd be interested to see - a traditional Nintendo crossover fighter is a dream of mine - but having that take the place of Smash doesn't seem too feasible.
no it does.

i dont like the old ones.
I want new ones, i understand its not what you want, i understand its not realistic
theres a difference between want and expect and i already replied saying that to someone else so i feel no need to repast myself.

Isn't that the point of newcomers? If you're tired of Mario, you can play as Pac-man.
no i specifically wanna play as mario
some of his moves are passable but most of them are generic punch kick guy. i'd rather play as a character than a function.

Last edited:
Top Bottom