• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight) *Now with Moveset Sketches!*

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
He'll definitely have his three specials from JMF: Tondeker, Konariran, and Skapon roll. Even the rest of his JMF attacks will translate well into the Smash atmosphere.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Joy Mech Fight may not be the best fighter out there, but the fundamentals are great--especially for its time! JMF's style really laid the foundations for Smash, proving that a 2-D fighter can be fun without being totally broken, while still retaining character originality.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I found Tiger to be really cheap more than anything...

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
hah! finally beat this sucker. hanzor and blaze were driving me crazy...seriously. they were harder than houou to me. i now get the whole deal with people breaking controllers...I was about to wail on my keyboard for a second. I don't even want to imagine what playing on hard would be like. you gotta love NES games.

stars of the show: Senju and his nasty multi punch, flame, sukapon, and an honorable mention for neo.

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
i did use it like that the very few times I actually used tiger. i mean it's a pretty good move, not great though.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
This discussion brings up an interesting point: since Skapon's existing moveset is somewhat limited--simply due to the limitations of the system itself--do you think that Skapon's moveset will be filled out by borrowing techniques from his companions, creating original moves, or forming an amalgamation of both possibilities?

I think that Sakurai will just go the extra mile and only add completely new attacks to Skapon's current arsenal. It would seem wasteful to just ignore the treasure trove of attack possibilities that lies within the other characters, though...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
This discussion brings up an interesting point: since Skapon's existing moveset is somewhat limited--simply due to the limitations of the system itself--do you think that Skapon's moveset will be filled out by borrowing techniques from his companions, creating original moves, or forming an amalgamation of both possibilities?

I think that Sakurai will just go the extra mile and only add completely new attacks to Skapon's current arsenal. It would seem wasteful to just ignore the treasure trove of attack possibilities that lies within the other characters, though...
I'm sure that Sakurai would incorporate at least some of Sukapon's companions' techniques into his (its) moveset. After all, this ended up being the case with Ness in SSB64.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sure that Sakurai would incorporate at least some of Sukapon's companions' techniques into his (its) moveset. After all, this ended up being the case with Ness in SSB64.
I was just thinking that...but who...Neo's energy ball? Tiger's Knee...thing...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I could see the energy ball.

If the knee makes it in, I see Subspace Emissary plot-lines. Sukapon's creator gets captured by the Miser for some reason, and Sukapon goes to save him. On his travels, he encounter's CF. The two stare at eachother, then jump in the air and each do their Knee attacks. Knee's collide, then cue the screenshot and Dragon Ball music. Epic.

Can't say really... Besides, regardless of which particular techniques would be most sensible to utilize, it's completely up to Sakurai anyway... (F.L.U.D.D., anyone?)
Please, don't mention F.L.U.D.D.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I can see you're also a rather bit disappointed by Mario's latest revision...
Yeah. It's not that I don't like SuperMario Sunshine, but F.L.U.D.D. would've been better as an item anyone can pick up and they get a new B-Moveset than to waste on one character who had a great moveset before. IMO, anyway.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yeah. It's not that I don't like SuperMario Sunshine, but F.L.U.D.D. would've been better as an item anyone can pick up and they get a new B-Moveset than to waste on one character who had a great moveset before. IMO, anyway.
I agree completely. Even from the web site's description of the move's mechanics, it seems to me to be far better suited as an item. And to tamper with Mario's very well established (almost perfect really) moveset to such an extent... Aw well, can't win 'em all...

As far as Sukapon is concerned, I can see about 10% of his moveset being derived from the techniques of his fellow orbots (heh... bad joke, I know...), 40% new material concocted by Sakurai & Co., and the remaining 50% coming more or less directly from his established moveset (he does have the advantage of already starring in a fighting game, after all...).

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Neo's Energy Ball would be too Mewtwo.
Tiger's Flying Knee would be silly because Skapon lacks knees. :chuckle: Maybe Tiger's Diving Eagle (or whatever), though?

In theory, Sakurai could devise a great moveset for Skapon without even thinking of the other characters, but one can never tell what he will do next.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha, actually, we just discussed that in that site's respective thread. It isn't confirmed anywhere, but it has been rumored that Skapon was originally going to appear in Melee, but was removed due to physics-based complications, no doubt on account of his limbless appendages and the complexity that such a character's engine would require.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Haha, actually, we just discussed that in that site's respective thread. It isn't confirmed anywhere, but it has been rumored that Skapon was originally going to appear in Melee, but was removed due to physics-based complications, no doubt on account of his limbless appendages and the complexity that such a character's engine would require.
Could that mean problem for Brawl???

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't really see how not having limbs could affect his appearence. :ohwell:

They would probably give him arms and legs just like any other character, but they wouldn't texture them, so they would appear invisible. That way he would have hitboxes there aswell...

...Do you think his supposed Side B, Konaniran, would have super armor? During this, his head would be detached from his body, so if he were hit while his head was detached... it might glitch? It's pretty much the same situation as Ike being detached from his sword during his Up B.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Sukapon seems like a very awesome character and a great addition to Brawl. :)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I don't really see how not having limbs could affect his appearence. :ohwell:

They would probably give him arms and legs just like any other character, but they wouldn't texture them, so they would appear invisible. That way he would have hitboxes there aswell...

...Do you think his supposed Side B, Konaniran, would have super armor? During this, his head would be detached from his body, so if he were hit while his head was detached... it might glitch? It's pretty much the same situation as Ike being detached from his sword during his Up B.
The problem would be less about his appearance but instead about the physics involved with his movement. How fair would it be for the opponent to be able to grab a part of Skapon that doesn't technically exist? Since Skapon will probably be lacking slightly in speed and power, it would only make sense for his quirky nature to benefit his Smash experience. The opponent would essentially have to be on top of Skapon to grab him; that, in my opinion, is the best way to go. Instead of including invisible arms and legs, perhaps the development team could find a way to relate the respective motions of the individual part. It has the potential to be quite glitchy, but I would have to imagine that with the Havok engine, the difficulties of implementing such a concept would certainly be assuaged.

If Skapon is hit during the Konaniran, it would act as it would in Joy Mech Fight. Remember that Skapon's body is only pulled toward his detached head if A and B are held throughout (if I remember correctly), or if you press Forward (->). Otherwise, the head returns to Skapon like a boomerang. Regardless, moving toward the head is not the default course of action; one must input an extra command to follow through. So, if Skapon is hit during the Konaniran, the head would fly back toward his body like Link's boomerang, effectively damaging--and probably stunning slightly--the opponent that thought he or she might take advantage of our favorite robot when he loses his head (:chuckle:).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Sukapon is now my top choice for the "WTF" character for Brawl. Retro, already a fighter, rather unique... three cheers for the disembodied robot.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
But by the same token, Skapon only starred in one game (versus Stafy's four) which was published for the NES/FDS (versus Stafy's 2006 foray on the NDS). Skapon FTW!

(...Even though I really love Stafy, I love Skapon more!)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I just played JMF again today, and my desire for Skapon has risen exponentially. I'm sure he'll be secret if he makes it, but I'm still anxiously awaiting his update. =)

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I say to save time with the problems he could create physically, they should put him in as an invincible assist.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, I say to save time with the problems he could create physically, they should put him in as an invincible assist.
I say no...that is not a good idea

Maybe the Havoc physics engine will enable Sukapon PC

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I just played JMF again today, and my desire for Skapon has risen exponentially. I'm sure he'll be secret if he makes it, but I'm still anxiously awaiting his update. =)
Gah, I still haven't beat it! Stage Four is difficult... That floating place though, could be a stage maybe? Also, I really don't think we're going to find out about Sukapon in Brawl until it's released. He seems like one of those characters Sakurai would like to keep secret. :ohwell:

Top Bottom