• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Literally any of here could make a reddit throwaway account and post on that subreddit with whatever 'leak' we wanted, lol.

FP7 is Blooper
All his music tracks come from Mario DDR
Mii Costumes include Apple Kid from Earthbound, Gatekeeper from Fire Emblem and Spinch from Legend of Zelda

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If this leak were true, one of the things that comes to mind for me is an indie character like Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight. Both are newer IP's, well regarded in the West and neither would be expected, both because an indie character getting to be a fighter before Undertale would be a surprise and that the latter would essentially be the first Assist Trophy promotion. I don't expect either or that this leak holds any credence, but they do technically fit the criteria.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Looking at it more, the Metroid bits are what kill this for me. Sakamoto said no more remakes after Samus Returns, and MercurySteam was reported to have started Metroid 5 in late 2017. Plus Imran said Prime Trilogy was finished a while ago, likely being held back till Prime 4 is in a presentable state.

Just gotta stay patient folks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even disregarding this leak I still think we’re getting a reveal this week due to the 7/11 thing

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Base game Spirits do not because they were allowed a second consideration, DLC spirits do for the most part because they don't have that luxury, and like with Mii Costumes, they exist because the character/series did not become/receive a fighter.

At present, the only game that got a DLC Spirit event that I could see getting a fighter is Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield due to the size of the series, the series being first party which means negotiations aren't an issue, the DLC coming out soon, the low number of Spirits that were added, and the fact that none of the Pokémon that were inspirited were actual candidates for inclusion.

Even if it turns out that all wave 1 Spirits Events are eligible, Ring Fit Adventure is still ineligible due to the fact that it is a wave 2 Spirit Event.
I'm not going to get into another debate XD
You can believe they deconfirm if you want. I wont, lol.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Found another screenshot from the Geno thread (yeah you don’t have to tell me, I only check that place for potential rumors)

So FP7 is most likely third party, from a new franchise that is unexpected but “popular in the west”. It could be a western IP nobody expects (like LoL) or a Japanese IP that has a lot of western fans (TWEWY?)
The Gen 2 stuff honestly makes it fake to me, considering there is way more in favor for the Gen 4 remakes, if you followed the Crown Tundra datamines.

All the fossils will be back minus the Gen 4 ones.

The only returning Gen 4 mons were Lopunny, Luxray, Garchomp and Spiritomb and well Lopunny and Garchomp are fanfav mons

If you compare the Platinum dex to the list of pokemon that won't be returning, atleast 60% of the Platinum dex is missing from Gen 8

Same patterns happend when HGSS and ORAS where the next remakes (with DP lacking alot of Johto mons (the Gen 2 starters and Legendaries where basically event mons or obnoxius to get before HGSS) and XY had alot of missing Hoenn pokemon

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If we want to cut that leak some slack, I'm betting on Master Chief or Doomguy as the new Western rep. Though, there's a 99.9% chance that leak is fake.

Nintendo, I formally request that FP7 be either Conker, Geno, Porky, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Waluigi, Isaac, Travis Touchdown, Rex/Pyra/Mythra, Shantae, etc., etc...

(Hate bashing on character choices, but I can't help feel a Ring Fit character would bore the **** out of most of us here...)

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If we want to cut that leak some slack, I'm betting on Master Chief or Doomguy as the new Western rep. Though, there's a 99.9% chance that leak is fake.

Nintendo, I formally request that FP7 be either Conker, Geno, Porky, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Waluigi, Isaac, Travis Touchdown, Rex/Pyra/Mythra, Shantae, etc., etc...

(Hate bashing on character choices, but I can't help feel a Ring Fit character would bore the **** out of most of us here...)
You are correct. I do not care at all for Ring Fit Adventure and would barely roll my eyes at it getting a fighter so soon.

Why FP7 seems to be getting held back so long has me puzzled. Is there an internal problem? Do they want to draw the wait so that 2021 has more? Or are they afraid of something else like backlash?

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Popular in the west eh?

Someone we don't expect?

Any ideas?

Dovahkiin comes to mind I guess.
Dovahkiin seems like a pretty decent guess, maybe even Gordon, but I'd argue they're still decently talked about, if we take this "leak" at face value,

How about Grand Theft Auto?

I know, I know, please hear me out on this one. This is a series with two particular games I personally love for all the effort, love, and quality put into them, like Smash Bros. As such, I felt compelled to get more people thinking about this inclusion by wasting my time on a full presentation with essentially all the content that could be added just to get a few people either thinking about the idea or maybe even supporting it. Hopefully you go through the ideas and let me know your thoughts, (even if you despise everything about it.) Have a nice day! Thanks for giving this post any of your time.

The looks and style are all captured in the presentations so I hope some of you get a kick out of that.

Here is an Imgur link with both GTA V and San Andreas Concepts and pitch presented fully.

Here is a google drive link to the PowerPoint presentations. You can do anything you want with them. Use them to your hearts content.

First Section is Grand Theft Auto V with Michael having Franklin and Trevor as echos: An unlikely but best case scenario for representing GTAV but all three of them could be the standalone fighter. Michael is mainly first because he was created first, you control him first in GTAV and he's always put first when Rockstar orders them but Franklin is my personal pick for a standalone fighter and Trevor is the fan favorite and the one who made the biggest splash so it could be any of them. It is what it is, but the other characters could be part of two Special Ability inspired Final Smashes.

Second Section is what if CJ from San Andreas was the only GTA fighter: Not as likely as V but the main community and meme love he has in the west shouldn't be underestimated. Franklin could also be an echo fighter with some slight changes. I designed CJ to be from his endgame appearance so he's more skilled with weapons and has a more similar body build to Franklin instead of being as skinny.

I felt the best way to go about representation is to make one game specifically take center stage like how Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII did since they all have enough uniqueness to them like Fire Emblem characters. The series is to broad and expansive to represent all of them equally well and GTA V fits mainly well as the Ultimate GTA bringing all the big elements people love back in one way or another to an extent. The other games and characters like Tommy from Vice City will mostly get music, spirits, costumes, and stage cameos. In the end, I'll still be glad with any Rockstar Games anti-hero being represented.

As a certain gunslinger would say, I implore you to read through and think about this.

Why did I do this? I guess it was the potential.

Sources:

Grand Theft Auto Clones Wikipedia article

Free GTAV crashes the Epic Games store

GTAV World Records

GTAV breaks sales records in Japan shattering the records from Vice City

GTAV alone has sold over 130 million copies

Sakurai takes his hat off for Red Dead Redemption 2

Wikipedia: Grand Theft Auto V list of accolades

GTAV Metacritic

GTASA Metacritic

Dan Houser and Reggie talk about each others' companies respectfully

LA Noire coming to Nintendo Switch with the next generation versions

GTA Chinatown Wars at Nintendo's 2008 E3

TakeTwo says Switch games have been successful

Microsoft and Nintendo relationship

If you take anything from this, please check out the music, A lot of it is great.
V Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tOGflDc6nspnc3whGu6NOnXgsfkV3T5
SA Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tOGflDc6ntGwA9SiEcjWAul4ozJOSiw

If you take anything else from this or maybe don't even like this idea, inclusion, or moveset. I hope you at least see it as a way to realize how the character you personally want may be more likely than you expect from taking a look at these once impossible crossovers. I'd personally be almost has happy to see one of them just be a Mii costume or some of them to be spirits in this amazing gaming celebration.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah, the Ring Fit Trainee would be the wackiest thing since Piranha Plant.

If Rex is considered a A lister, than so is Elma. That's all I got to say.
I wouldn't consider Rex to be an A list character, or any Xenoblade Chronicles character for that matter.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
You are correct. I do not care at all for Ring Fit Adventure and would barely roll my eyes at it getting a fighter so soon.

Why FP7 seems to be getting held back so long has me puzzled. Is there an internal problem? Do they want to draw the wait so that 2021 has more? Or are they afraid of something else like backlash?
My personal tinfoil hat theory is that some of these fighters are either very complex in terms of mechanics and/or include echos. Unlike with FP1, we aren't getting around 5 fighters in the span of 1 year more or less. We're getting 6 in the span of 2 years more or less.

That's the hopeful idea, but maybe their team got even smaller?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Curious question? Given I don't follow Pokemon directs, do they normally after the day after their announcement?

I ask this because of the possibility we could also get Smash announced this week wether on Thursday or Friday. Perhaps even Wednesday.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, but a good number of people do. Hell, some people put Rex in a higher tier of importance than characters like Toad, Dixie Kong, or Waluigi just because of his popularity.
OK I understand Dixie Kong, but the rest are objectively false. Xenoblade Chronicles is not up there with major Super Mario characters...yet.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Even assuming that reddit leak is real, the sentence "popular in the West" is so vague that it could be pretty much anyone who's not from a game like Puyo puyo where the fanbase is obviously in majority in Japan. For example, sure Monster hunter is Japanese, but it's still very popular in the West since World so for that leak it could be him. They are many Japanese game that are popular in the West, so I'm not going to make a full list but it really doesn't help up. The leak didn't say that the character is Western so it doesn't really help Valve character or others Western dev.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's no way Nintendo could afford Heavy, it costs $400,000 to fire his weapon for twelve seconds.
"Since just getting Heavy to fire his gun was so expensive, he's the only DLC in the Fighters Pass Volume 2 to not come with a Stage, Spirits, or Music. All our money was spent on bullets for Sasha.

Please understand."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
OK I understand Dixie Kong, but the rest are objectively false. Xenoblade Chronicles is not up there with major Super Mario characters...yet.
The DKC series was big in the 90s when Rare was still with Nintendo and the franchise is Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise with over 80 million in sales. Xenoblade doesn't have that record.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Rex is considered a A lister, than so is Elma. That's all I got to say.
I don't even like Rex and I have to call shenanigans here. XC2 hit far more of a mainstream audience than XCX did. Rex is absolutely closer to being an A-Lister than Elma is, though I hesitate to call Rex himself one. Definitely more so than Elma at least.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't even like Rex and I have to call shenanigans here. XC2 hit far more of a mainstream audience than XCX did. Rex is absolutely closer to being an A-Lister than Elma is, though I hesitate to call Rex himself one. Definitely more so than Elma at least.
Honestly, no Xenoblade characters are A listers. I'll just head out.

TheBeastHimself

Dixie Kong is a A lister.
This may be the one thing I disagree with you on, and I know a lot of people would give me **** for speaking my opinion on this. I really don't view Dixie Kong as this legendary "last Nintendo All-Star" that so many others do, and maybe that's because my overall lack of experience with DK games in general.

I always thought Dixie was big in DKC2/3, then kinda fell off as a character in miscellaneous spin-offs, only to be revived in DKTF.

Currently, I don't see what Dixie would bring to DK representation in Smash that DK, Diddy, and K. Rool already don't.

:ultdk: - The main character.

:ultdiddy:- The second main character who has appeared so, so many times in many games.

:ultkrool: - The most iconic DK antagonist.

What would Dixie be? The supporting character who appears on every now and then but not too often?

(I'm treating this as a learning opportunity, not as a way to bash Dixie for the sake of it because as I've stated previously, she's such a cool character. I want to learn more about what exactly qualifies Dixie for her own character, because I can only see her as a Diddy/Dixie tag-team in Smash. I believe there are a lot more characters who better qualify as "The Last Nintendo All-Star" considering how little importance DK games have seem to become in recent times, which is sad.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This may be the one thing I disagree with you on, and I know a lot of people would give me **** for speaking my opinion on this. I really don't view Dixie Kong as this legendary "last Nintendo All-Star" that so many others do, and maybe that's because my overall lack of experience with DK games in general.

I always thought Dixie was big in DKC2/3, then kinda fell off as a character in miscellaneous spin-offs, only to be revived in DKTF.

Currently, I don't see what Dixie would bring to DK representation in Smash that DK, Diddy, and K. Rool already don't.

:ultdk: - The main character.

:ultdiddy:- The second main character who has appeared so, so many times in many games.

:ultkrool: - The most iconic DK antagonist.

What would Dixie be? The supporting character who appears on every now and then but not too often?

(I'm treating this as a learning opportunity, not as a way to bash Dixie for the sake of it because as I've stated previously, she's such a cool character. I want to learn more about what exactly qualifies Dixie for her own character, because I can only see her as a Diddy/Dixie tag-team in Smash. I believe there are a lot more characters who better qualify as "The Last Nintendo All-Star" considering how little importance DK games have seem to become in recent times, which is sad.)
I'll will respond to you though: Dixie Kong was the co-protagonist of DKC2 and protagonist of DKC3. She has been in a playable role as just as many times as DK and Diddy in the DKC games. Her moveset would mostly involve around her hair so she is unique. Dixie Kong is an important DKC character just like how Bandana Dee is to Kirby.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I'll will respond to you though: Dixie Kong was the co-protagonist of DKC2 and protagonist of DKC3. She has been in a playable role as just as many times as DK and Diddy in the DKC games. Her moveset would mostly invole around her hair so she is unique. Dixie Kong is an important DKC character just like how Bandana Dee is to Kirby.
These are generally points I completely agree with you on. My prior post was within the context of DLC. Personally, I do not see them having a huge chance for DLC. Base game? Yes, absolutely.

They are more or less characters that would round out representation, and I don't believe DLC trends (from this game and from Sm4sh), reflect a desire to add supporting characters to already represented franchises.

But, once again, I could be wrong! Regardless, thank you for talking to me about this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
These are generally points I completely agree with you on. My prior post was within the context of DLC. Personally, I do not see them having a huge chance for DLC. Base game? Yes, absolutely.

They are more or less characters that would round out representation, and I don't believe DLC trends (from this game and from Sm4sh), reflect a desire to add supporting characters to already represented franchises.

But, once again, I could be wrong! Regardless, thank you for talking to me about this.
I feel like the only way Dixie Kong could make it into Ultimate's DLC lineup is if she is bonus DLC like Plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom