• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ring Fit Adventure is dead because of the post-release spirits.
I don't think it matters. Spirits don't deconfirm (anymore or whatever). Someone could find some type of reason around timing, but yeah I dont believe in deconfirming over small stuff.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Found another screenshot from the Geno thread (yeah you don’t have to tell me, I only check that place for potential rumors)

So FP7 is most likely third party, from a new franchise that is unexpected but “popular in the west”. It could be a western IP nobody expects (like LoL) or a Japanese IP that has a lot of western fans (TWEWY?)
To be fair Pokémon news was super easy to predict, so I'm leaning for this to be fake for now, but if for some reason Gen 2 release is announced tomorrow now that it will be most likely real.

Staarih

Smash Master
Found another screenshot from the Geno thread (yeah you don’t have to tell me, I only check that place for potential rumors)

So FP7 is most likely third party, from a new franchise that is unexpected but “popular in the west”. It could be a western IP nobody expects (like LoL) or a Japanese IP that has a lot of western fans (TWEWY?)
The upcoming SWSH presentation appears to be Crown Tundra only. But the "possibly" there regarding Gen 2 re-releases dodges that bullet I guess.

I'd totally take a "nobody is expecting" Smash character, those are the best kinds haha.

But overall, just another text leak, not putting much faith to it and all we can do is... well, wait.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

there is more the tywewy that are popular in the west. Hell, kh is even there, Okami, freaking AA and Layton also

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

Hmm... Just to entertain this leak, some series that come to mind are Fortnite, Overwatch, Professor Layton, Skyrim.

Would put No More Heroes in that group, but it feels like everyone expects Travis nowadays...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While the leak's probably fake, an unexpected Western pick would make a fair bit of sense. Assuming CP7 was to be revealed at E3, which is a Western expo, it would make sense to reveal someone who's popular in the West. As for the unexpected character part... Yeah, we all know how shoddy our track record is with DLC. Hero was the only one we 100% predicted, and that was because of the leak. The others were somewhat expected but had doubts for various reasons (Banjo, Byleth) or were a complete curveball (Joker, Terry).

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Giving that "leak" any sort of attention is about as productive as listening to hotgirlvids.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think it matters. Spirits don't deconfirm (anymore or whatever). Someone could find some type of reason around timing, but yeah I dont believe in deconfirming over small stuff.
Base game Spirits do not because they were allowed a second consideration, DLC spirits do for the most part because they don't have that luxury, and like with Mii Costumes, they exist because the character/series did not become/receive a fighter.

At present, the only game that got a DLC Spirit event that I could see getting a fighter is Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield due to the size of the series, the series being first party which means negotiations aren't an issue, the DLC coming out soon, the low number of Spirits that were added, and the fact that none of the Pokémon that were inspirited were actual candidates for inclusion.

Even if it turns out that all wave 1 Spirits Events are eligible, Ring Fit Adventure is still ineligible due to the fact that it is a wave 2 Spirit Event.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So after the Pokémon presentation was announced, that reddit leak from yesterday was deleted

did anyone screenshot and/or archive.is it?
There was a reddit leak? :starman2: That was conveniently deleted? Sounds very sus.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
While the leak's probably fake, an unexpected Western pick would make a fair bit of sense. Assuming CP7 was to be revealed at E3, which is a Western expo, it would make sense to reveal someone who's popular in the West. As for the unexpected character part... Yeah, we all know how shoddy our track record is with DLC. Hero was the only one we 100% predicted, and that was because of the leak. The others were somewhat expected but had doubts for various reasons (Banjo, Byleth) or were a complete curveball (Joker, Terry).
The Track Record on predictions is why it is very difficult to gauge who may be in the game. Everyone keeps bringing up Waluigi, Geno, A Gen 8 Pokemon, Steve, etc etc as "Inevitable" picks when the last time we had people bring up a character being inevitable, we had Joker, Banjo, Terry, and Byleth.

A bit why I like to talk about picks everyone is sleeping on or has written on for being "Too niche", "Old", or some other silly reason. Who knows what the Fighter pass may bring us.

That said, there's quite a few characters who'd fit a Western-oriented pick. It may not be a Western pick but could be a character popular in the West. And it being "Unexpected" would certainly fit the bill here.

All I can say for Smash is...

Expect the Unexpected.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Friendly reminder that Nintendo never promised us 1 reveal per week, it's just a pattern they've been following that we're assuming they will continue to follow. But they're under no obligation to continue this and in fact they can't keep this up forever, they will run out of stuff to show us eventually. Don't assume 1 reveal per week will continue to hold just because it has. For this reason, I also think we shouldn't stress about what "counts" as the reveal for the week.
This does go both ways though, while they would have to worry about 2 reveals stepping on each other's toes, there's no reason they can't happen in the same week. But it also means this ride can stop at any minute.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean... I don't think that reddit post means anything at all.
"Pokémon DLC info soon" isn't really a risky prediction. I could make a fake leak saying "Smash FP7 is going to be revealed soon", and it would be super fake because everyone knows we're close to that.

If that reddit guy posted something more concrete like, IDK, "They're gonna announce a Pokémon Direct on Monday, which will be aired the next day", which is what happened, at least the leak would be more interesting to entertain.

The rest of the post isn't anything surprising as well.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think people are still throwing in the towel way too early.

We're still on Monday (well, Tuesday for Japan, but the point still stands), the 7/11 ad is still a thing AND it predicted a Crown Tundra presentation, we're still in the two week timeframe for Amiibo theory, and last week shows that multiple announcements can happen in a single week.

A reveal is by no means guaranteed, but it is still a legitimate possibility.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yeah guys, we might get another announcement this week, no need to fear!

Join us on Friday, October 2, for an in-depth look on some of the new changes being brought to Pikmin 3: Deluxe.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Dunno how seriously I wanna take them saying Pokemon news was coming when a bunch of people here were saying that the odds of it being this week were likely.

Also, they claimed Smash was "imminent" and Pokemon was "soon": That to me implies that Smash was supposed to come first in this scenario. To each their own of course, but I ain't buying this, especially when they played the "No one expects this character" card.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Friendly reminder that Nintendo never promised us 1 reveal per week, it's just a pattern they've been following that we're assuming they will continue to follow. But they're under no obligation to continue this and in fact they can't keep this up forever, they will run out of stuff to show us eventually. Don't assume 1 reveal per week will continue to hold just because it has. For this reason, I also think we shouldn't stress about what "counts" as the reveal for the week.
This does go both ways though, while they would have to worry about 2 reveals stepping on each other's toes, there's no reason they can't happen in the same week. But it also means this ride can stop at any minute.
Imo, whether they keep coming or stop, we won't be seeing Smash until about a month from now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Western pick is a broad term, especially given that it's a series taht's popular in the west, not nessessarily made in the west.

It could be Cash Banooca, it could be Steve Minecraft, it could be Zero Suit Dark Samus, anyone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doing some research, doesn’t the leak contradict some things Nate and Imran said? Imran said Metroid Prime Trilogy was complete or something. (Something related to Metroid at least)

Yes it was prime trilogy. Also Nate said BOTW2 news before the end of the year which contradicts this leak

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm guessing next week. This has Crown Tundra news, plus Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and Mario 35. Given that the ad's to be taken down next week, among other things, and the complete lack of anything else at that timeframe, I've set my sights on next week.

Not that it really matters to me right now. I'm just vibin' with Ys VIII. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

While we're on that topic, let's discuss Adol in Smash.

EDIT: Ah frick, Pikmin 3's not for another month. My bad.
Honestly, after thinking about it (or its maybe bias) I think a Falcom character has a really good chance for this pass. I feel like they would be the Terry of this pass. My heart says Estelle but my mind says Adol and while I perfer Estelle, Adol seems pretty cool.

MooMew64

Doing some research, doesn’t the leak contradict some things Nate and Imran said? Imran said Metroid Prime Trilogy was complete or something. (Something related to Metroid at least)
MP Trilogy is just what everyone uses in their fake leaks nowadays because of how much industry insiders talk about it. In a way, it's kind of become a meme.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
MP Trilogy is just what everyone uses in their fake leaks nowadays because of how much industry insiders talk about it. In a way, it's kind of become a meme.
True.
I think it totally exists, and probably would have been released by now if Prime 4 didn't restarted development. I mean... Nintendo is clearly enjoying releasing ports and remasters on the Switch. For that very reason I can't see them skipping the Prime games, specially when it's something people has been asking, plus it's just the logical move with MP4 in the horizon.

At the same time, yeah... it's kind of a meme for fake leaks.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Yes it was prime trilogy. Also Nate said BOTW2 news before the end of the year which contradicts this leak
Yes Imran did say Prime Trilogy was "complete and shelved until they want to release it". Doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm not part of Nintendo. Just so long as I can play Prime 2 during a roadtrip one day.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
TBF

It's fake. Sakamoto said there's no plans for another remake after Samus Returns. If we're getting a Metroid announcement, it will be Prime Trilogy or Metroid 5.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
As much as it's almost a meme to say an announcement will be "next week," this really feels more true than ever. Either later this week, or next week, I truly believe we will finally get to see FP7... hopefully...

MooMew64

Lmao what are they saying about the reasons?
Basically, it was supposed to come out as a way to tide people over until MP4 launched (Similar to Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD being holdovers for BotW), but MP4's development being scrapped and restarted threw a wrench into any Metroid plans they had.

Sources like Imran say it's being held onto. Like, apparently it's done, but they don't wanna launch it until MP4 gets back on track.

Only reason I think it's real is mostly out of wishful thinking and my own thoughts of it making sense outside of leaks, TBH. What'll actually happen with it? Who knows. :drshrug:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

"new franchise"? "popular in the west"?

of course, it's the heavy from tf2 :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom