• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.D.

Smash Lord
A Deliberate and clear "No" is just "no". "I wouldn't hold my breath" is not a "no" it's dancing around an answer, just like Nintendo saying Sonic in Brawl "Isn't in the cards at the moment" at a Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Press release is a no.
This is a bit of a reach. It obviously isn't a "No" but those expressions are used to indicate that something is extremely unlikely to happen, and saying that something is extremely unlikely to happen when you know that it is certain to happen is simply lying, no way around it. NDAs do encourage you to lie.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Pfft. There's no weaseling. It was clearly saying to look elsewhere cause it's not happening. Couldn't say a thing more, really. NDA's do work like that, having some very clear instructions. Denying it was happening isn't even weasel words. It's just a no.

There's nothing, again, special about the statement. The statement was clearly negative in context. It had a blatant point behind it. And wouldn't fall any less under an NDA anyway, which is the only reason he can't outright say it.

He was lying under NDA without a doubt, really. Either he was being honest that it was a no, or lying under an NDA. Turns out it was the NDA, of course. And much to fans' satisfactions.
It implied certain things, but it wasn't a definitive answer. His answer is basically 90% No 10% Yes. He was toying the line without giving an answer.

This is a bit of a reach. It obviously isn't a "No" but those expressions are used to indicate that something is extremely unlikely to happen, and saying that something is extremely unlikely to happen when you know that it is certain to happen is simply lying, no way around it. NDAs do encourage you to lie.
The bold is all that matters here. We've had dozens of companies/individuals flat out say no and only one real ambiguous answer. It's no surprise that the answer that doesn't 100% mean no ended up with an outcome with the character in Smash.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Why show favouritism towards one starter Pokemon and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the mascot of the generation to be in Smash?
bruh every house has their own storyline and cast of characters

that's way more divisive than "you start with a grass monkey, fire rabbit or the third one which you don't even have to use"

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I might get to it at some point, but I got too much on my plate right now. I've heard from my brother that it's pretty fun, though.

Moving on to another topic, I have a question for this thread:

I'm legitimately curious...How many of y'all actually play Smash as much as you speculate about it?
I'd play it more if I had more friends to play with locally, but most of mine are in other places right now (and thus we play online together and Smash... isn't particularly good for that) and I'm working in a smaller town where it's harder to find people to play with, so it's just whenever I take a notion to play for a couple hours.

So I definitely spend more time speculating in a week than I do playing, but I definitely spend more time gaming most of the time period than speculating or on forums.

How would you guys feel about Vault Boy being chosen over Dragonborn if Bethesda gets a character?
Much happier. Vault Boy is a ridiculously cool way to go about a Fallout/Bethesda character with a very distinct style and Fallout naturally lends itself so so so much better to wacky shenanigans than Skyrim where such things feel completely at odds with the tone of the rest of the game. Hell, Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout New Vegas are all absolutely leagues better than literally anything Bethesda themselves have made, and ironically the main one of Bethesda's in house games I like is Fallout 3 (Then Oblivion, then Skyrim/Fallout 4 sort of sharing a place for being generally enjoyable but completely non stimulating experiences). Fallout is just all around the series I prefer, and Skyrim's already one of the games I have the most strained relationship with in modern gaming.

Bethesda owns some great properties, but they're only great when Bethesda themselves isn't making them lol.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I think it’s safe to say if a direct happens this week, they won’t cover TMS Encore as it drops literally this week. They might at least give a XCDE release date, which if that leak is true it’s most likely May 29.
Given a recent leak about Joker being a costume in TMS, there is a decent chance that might get mention in the direct.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Ronin Warriors? I will follow you into the depths of hell if you ask me. I loved that show
I know, as old as it is it's amazing, I still remember breaking the sound barrier everyday, just to get home in time to watch it.
well what if it dose anyway? Besides if they were gonna add in a Nintendo character. They would chose byleth.

same goes to Rex & pyra
As cool as Byleth would be, I feel if any would have a higher chance to be revealed it'd be Edelgard. The moveset/quirk Opossum Opossum came up for her, has me more interested in her getting in than Byleth.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
bruh every house has their own storyline and cast of characters

that's way more divisive than "you start with a grass monkey, fire rabbit or the third one which you don't even have to use"
You can actively recruit most of the other members of said houses to your side anyway, so it's also not nearly the commitment you're making it out to be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It implies it wasn't happening.

There's no need for overthinking it. It was a clear no entirely for the fanbase. It was pretty obvious as a statement. It had no ambiguous context either. There's some bad tweets, but this isn't one of them.

It's hard to see that as any real toying either. Mainly cause it was shutting it down pretty hard. The only reason to remain skeptical was cause of NDA's, which are very constant these days. And that wasn't something that was constantly thought of when he said that, so it didn't come up often. The fanbase felt pretty defeated for a while(can't blame them, they were just denied a character's chances and all).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
You can actively recruit most of the other members of said houses to your side anyway, so it's also not nearly the commitment you're making it out to be.
said characters have wildly different endings on different routes and that's still ignoring the fact you
usually end up killing the main lord of the other routes

picking Dimitri is explicitly saying "Edelgard dies".
You can still use Grookey if you picked Sobble by trading. Can't trade for an Edelgard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
You guys kept saying this when around the 2rd Fighter was annoced

Then the 3rd and 4th

Now are you guys doing it again with 5th
I think the entire first fighters pass is gonna be all third party for sure, but after that who knows especially some recent games like Three Houses and Astral Chain despite selling well don't have any spirits yet.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It implies it wasn't happening.

There's no need for overthinking it. It was a clear no entirely for the fanbase. It was pretty obvious as a statement. It had no ambiguous context either. There's some bad tweets, but this isn't one of them.

It's hard to see that as any real toying either. Mainly cause it was shutting it down pretty hard. The only reason to remain skeptical was cause of NDA's, which are very constant these days. And that wasn't something that was constantly thought of when he said that, so it didn't come up often. The fanbase felt pretty defeated for a while(can't blame them, they were just denied a character's chances and all).
You're the one looking into it. At base value "I wouldn't hold your breath" is a non-answer through and through. It's something you say to a 4 year old expecting an expensive present while actually getting it as Santa Claus. As I've been saying, it implies something without giving a yes or no answer and an implication is not a de facto answer.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
said characters have wildly different endings on different routes and that's still ignoring the fact you usually end up killing the main lord of the other routes

picking Dimitri is explicitly saying "Edelgard dies". You can still use Grookey if you picked Sobble by trading. Can't trade for an Edelgard.
I mean, yeah, but the point is that there's still a lot similar about routes depending on your choices and all three lords still play a major role in the story no matter what you do.

I mean, picking any character over enough is going to piss people off and so is picking Byleth over all three of the main lords. There's no good reason they can't just go ahead and pick one of the lords and run with them. It's the same opportunity cost as any number of decisions regarding Smash fighters, so the upset people just aren't really going to matter too much.

Even if you can swap your starters out, you still see people endlessly complaining that Incineroar was picked over Decidueye, so like, that also clearly wasn't as small of an issue either.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why is starter Pokemon vs TH characters even an argument? All three starter Pokemon and all three TH leaders can be played in the same game. You want a second or third starter Pokemon? Trade. You want to choose the house associated with whatever FE character would get in Smash? Replay the game.

None of this effects any of these guys' chances of getting in, and as far as I'm concerned, they're identical situations.
There's really no point in debating this aside from proving to the thread that one is "more divisive" than the other.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why is starter Pokemon vs TH characters even an argument? All three starter Pokemon and all three TH leaders can be played in the same game. You want a second or third starter Pokemon? Trade. You want to choose the house associated with whatever FE character would get in Smash? Replay the game.

None of this effects any of these guys' chances of getting in, and as far as I'm concerned, they're identical situations.
There's really no point in debating this aside from proving to the thread that one is "more divisive" than the other.
Bro you don't need to replay a Pokemon game for more starters the **** you mean

D

Deleted member

The Smash presentations are basically Smash directs tho
I specified General Direct, which means directs that cover a broad amount of games, like the direct Terry got revealed or E3

Obviously I'd win if I just said any direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Looking at various character suggestions one thing I'm VERY curious about is how they'd handle animating characters like Gordon Freeman for example, a character renown for having NO discernable personality, intentionally. Would they make his idle animations paranoid, glancing over his shoulder for headcrabs? More analytical, carefully studying and fine-tuning his weaponry? Would his strikes have full follow-through like a trained soldier, or an awkward unpolished style? I generally wonder about these things for characters like him, or Steve, or any other character where you really don't get any personality from the canon games. Although I suppose MineCraft could always dip into their story series.

D

Deleted member

I’ll remain cautious to this whole deal regarding the day timer.

If it turns out to be right, then cool. If not, I won’t mind it.

I’ve heard that the user who made the timer tends to do them quite a lot, so we’ll see how this one turns out.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That doesn't change how that specific point doesn't work
Does it matter? The point I'm trying make is that both sets of characters have similar problems, but Sakurai has already shown to not care about Pokemon, so why would TH be any different?

If you want to argue that TH has it worse than Pokemon, go right ahead. All you'd accomplish in doing that is making it seem like a TH character who isn't Byleth probably wouldn't get in Smash.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Does it matter? The point I'm trying make is that both sets of characters have similar problems, but Sakurai has already shown to not care about Pokemon, so why would TH be any different?

If you want to argue that TH has it worse than Pokemon, go right ahead. All you'd accomplish in doing that is making it seem like a TH character who isn't Byleth probably wouldn't get in Smash.
I'm arguing that picking a house leader is more significant than one easily removed Pokemon. Edelgard's had the entire marketing and seemingly, the entire game built around her so the other leaders aren't a factor. Show me the Byleth, Dimitri and Claude figmas. Show me their cosplayers at official events. Show the most important song in 3H attributed to anyone other than Edelgard. I'll wait

D

Deleted member

Knew I was doing good for remaining cautious with this whole timer thing.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'm arguing that picking a house leader is more significant than one easily removed Pokemon. Edelgard's had the entire marketing and seemingly, the entire game built around her so the other leaders aren't a factor. Show me the Byleth, Dimitri and Claude figmas. Show me their cosplayers at official events. Show the most important song in 3H attributed to anyone other than Edelgard. I'll wait
To be fair, we do have this now

There was a problem fetching the tweet

But yeah, Edelgard got all the love and promotion and was the first to get a figma.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
said characters have wildly different endings on different routes and that's still ignoring the fact you usually end up killing the main lord of the other routes

picking Dimitri is explicitly saying "Edelgard dies". You can still use Grookey if you picked Sobble by trading. Can't trade for an Edelgard.
Dude, spoilers.

D

Deleted member

Ngl, if I had the time I would make a cosplay of the Golden Deers house lord.

He seems like quite a fun character to cosplay as.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Some of the people on Era are baffled that some of you think Dark Cloud is an insider... When he was hoping a direct would be announced on that date.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...el-to-ot3-is-now-in-development.164390/page-7
Well, that's that.

show me the Dimitri and Claude figmas
Those better ****ing happen at some point.

Like, the Edelgard figma looks amazing and I might put a pre-order down for it if I get the extra cash, but I would legit pay top dollar for time skip Dimitri.

D

Deleted member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom