• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
True, but why show favoritism towards one house and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the avatar character to be in Smash?
Why show favouritism towards one starter Pokemon and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the mascot of the generation to be in Smash?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
FP5 is most likely 3rd party IMO. However, post-pass is an entirely different beast and there's a lot of assumptions being made in this thread about it. It's too early to say where they're gonna go with it.

...Mainly because we literally have no idea how it's working.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This is what I'm going to say about NDAs and how they relate to Smash.

When it comes to Devs (Producers and the like, including those with legal ties to the character/franchise), they have never lied about their character being in Smash. Even those known for trolling like Hideo Kojima who was saying "Please add Snake to Smash 3DS & Wii U". The literal only exception to this is Grant Kirkhope and he's not a dev nor is he legally binded to the franchise. He also never gave a no. "I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you" isn't a straight up no and is the exact same kind of answer that a Nintendo spokeshole gave for Sonic in Brawl during the reveal of Mario and Sonic at the olympic games (The response in question was "That's not in the cards at the moment").

If somebody involved in the franchise says no outright, then it's far more likely, imo, that they mean it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Look man I'm just not going to let them off the hook.
This was how they announced TMS man. We were SO close to greatness
Oh no, don't get me wrong I am just as disappointed as any SMT and FE fan is because of what could have been but, like, the game's good right? Maybe we'll get a proper remake one day...

Even though Three Houses is, y'know, basically Persona X Fire Emblem...

D

Deleted member

Ok, so now that I have played Three House I can finally jump into the topic of specific Three Houses rep.

And honestly, I am cool with any of the lords or Byleth. Each of the lords could bring really cool stuff into Smash (with the Golden Deers lord having an arrow as his main weapon for example).

No matter who of the four get in, I would also love to see Mii costumes of some of the Monastery students alongside them.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
True, but why show favoritism towards one house and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the avatar character to be in Smash?
You can make the same argument about starters or box legends in the Pokemon series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
glad to see speculation still hinges on an offhand PR comment made at an unaffiliated games show over a year ago
Is this in reference to Pete Hines (Bethesda)? Because that interview was done by Metro UK IIRC.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
yes

because byleth didn’t appear as a fighter in the past
Read the post again.

Characters you will not anticipate being in Smash Bros.

Byleth does not fall under this category at all.

glad to see speculation still hinges on an offhand PR comment made at an unaffiliated games show over a year ago
Except that this “offhanded PR comment” has held true to this point.

If that is not a smoking gun against Byleths chances, I don’t know what is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is what I'm going to say about NDAs and how they relate to Smash.

When it comes to Devs (Producers and the like, including those with legal ties to the character/franchise), they have never lied about their character being in Smash. Even those known for trolling like Hideo Kojima who was saying "Please add Snake to Smash 3DS & Wii U". The literal only exception to this is Grant Kirkhope and he's not a dev nor is he legally binded to the franchise. He also never gave a no. "I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you" isn't a straight up no and is the exact same kind of answer that a Nintendo spokeshole gave for Sonic in Brawl during the reveal of Mario and Sonic at the olympic games (The response in question was "That's not in the cards at the moment").

If somebody involved in the franchise says no outright, then it's far more likely, imo, that they mean it.
we don’t know if they mean it or not.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Read the post again.

Characters you will not anticipate being in Smash Bros.

Byleth does not fall under this category at all.

Except that this “offhanded PR comment” has held true to this point.

If that is not a smoking gun against Byleths chances, I don’t know what is.
However, this only applies to the Fighter Pass. Post-Pass, is another story altogether where you can't expect anything until we get further information of course.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh no, don't get me wrong I am just as disappointed as any SMT and FE fan is because of what could have been but, like, the game's good right? Maybe we'll get a proper remake one day...

Issue people has with FE suddenly being Persona for TMS was because of the tone, the time management to choose to get stronger or chill out with the cast didn't affect the tone is a genuinely good mechanic outside of Persona, whereas TMS went "You like our kawaii anime idols don't you FE fan-kun? We promise you'll think it's totally sugoi desu!" Us FE fans may have low standards for some **** in the games but that **** is ****ing disgusting

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
They showed Edelgard favouritism for the entire marketing campaign, Claude and Dimitri don't even have a shred of the marketing Edelgard got so it isn't alienating at all
Because Byleth is extremely ****ing boring with zero personality and they evidently don't care about "alienating fans of the other two" (most wouldn't be alienated anyway unless they take games too ****ing seriously) when they pick starter Pokemon.
Why show favouritism towards one starter Pokemon and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the mascot of the generation to be in Smash?
Fair enough.

Be that as it may, I feel like the case is a bit different with Three Houses since it's much more of a story driven game than Pokemon and no route is "more canon" than the others, so favoring one house wouldn't represent the game as effectively as Byleth would, IMO.

I'd love to be wrong since I also think the house leaders are infinitely more interesting and compelling characters than Byleth, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pokemon also has an anime that pushes one Starter over the other. This only really favored Charizard, despite this. Especially when it came to splitting PT up for a game. And the anime doesn't much matter either, cause it's the de facto most popular Kanto starter.

And sometimes it's not even that for the reason. Whatever just happens to fit what Sakurai is looking for at the time or can envision the easiest. Incineroar and Greninja were moveset appeals, nothing to do with the anime. They're, like your general starters, among the first ever made, so they're the easiest to look at. Naturally Gamefreak will push them a bit too in Sakurai's direction if looking for a character, since they're supposed to be highly promotable Pokemon.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
we don’t know if they mean it or not.
Which is the same logic people who thought Snake was in 3DS/Wii U.

"Oh, it's trolling, he's in for sure". There's literally no reason to assume "They are totally joshing us, guys"

Grant Kirkhope was playing the role of not being involved in Banjo because he quite literally is not involved with the series officially since he no longer works for Rare and literally owns none of the music he composed.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

you still talking about TMS#FE?

For someone who has actually played it, I personally had a lot of fun playing the game on wiiu. Its beautiful, the music is good, the character designs are good, I personally live thelighthearted tone.

only thing Im sad about is Itsuki didnt get an in game concert

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which is the same logic people who thought Snake was in 3DS/Wii U.

"Oh, it's trolling, he's in for sure". There's literally no reason to assume "They are totally joshing us, guys"

Grant Kirkhope was playing the role of not being involved in Banjo because he quite literally is not involved with the series officially since he no longer works for Rare and literally owns none of the music he composed.
And Grant Kirkhope was still licensed to make the music. He knew what was going on. It doesn't matter if he's with Rare or not. Of course he was told what he was doing.

He gave a deliberate and clear no. There's no other real way to take "don't count on it". Yes, it's pretty clear what he meant.

He literally lied due to an NDA. And that's fine, since that's completely allowed under NDA's.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And Grant Kirkhope was still licensed to make the music. He knew what was going on. It doesn't matter if he's with Rare or not. Of course he was told what he was doing.

He gave a deliberate and clear no. There's no other real way to take "don't count on it". Yes, it's pretty clear what he meant.

He literally lied due to an NDA. And that's fine, since that's completely allowed under NDA's.
A Deliberate and clear "No" is just "no". "I wouldn't hold my breath" is not a "no" it's dancing around an answer, just like Nintendo saying Sonic in Brawl "Isn't in the cards at the moment" at a Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Press release is a no.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So a guy named Dark Cloud over at Resetera dropped a timer as to when the Pokémon Direct would be announced.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...tion-trilogy-hd.155302/page-299#post-28016676

He called it. He then went on to post a timer for the Nintendo Direct.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...tion-trilogy-hd.155302/page-334#post-28083660

It's happening boys and girls....
. . .That Pokémon Direct date is off, though. He said it would be on the 7th, but it was on the 9th. Or is this referring to the announcement?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So a guy named Dark Cloud over at Resetera dropped a timer as to when the Pokémon Direct would be announced.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...tion-trilogy-hd.155302/page-299#post-28016676

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...tion-trilogy-hd.155302/page-334#post-28083660

Wait I'm confused that post was made on a Thursday meaning the timer's already gone

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Could also be when they announce the next direct.

Still, we got a kill date with this one.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
How would you guys feel about Vault Boy being chosen over Dragonborn if Bethesda gets a character?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A Deliberate and clear "No" is just "no". "I wouldn't hold my breath" is not a "no" it's dancing around an answer, just like Nintendo saying Sonic in Brawl "Isn't in the cards at the moment" at a Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Press release is a no.
Yeah, that's a no. They're both no's.

There's nothing special to read into. He had to say no when asked. Not rocket science. People can beat around the bush to say no as well under NDA's. They just can't say "yes". It was clear as day. Of course, it doesn't matter how clear he was when he was under a blatant NDA to lie anyway.

There's no need to go through mental gymnastics here either. He was under NDA and had to deny it. It's not a big deal. Doesn't mean tons of people are under NDA's either.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's a no. They're both no's.

There's nothing special to read into. He had to say no when asked. Not rocket science. People can beat around the bush to say no as well under NDA's. They just can't say "yes". It was clear as day. Of course, it doesn't matter how clear he was when he was under a blatant NDA to lie anyway.

There's no need to go through mental gymnastics here either. He was under NDA and had to deny it. It's not a big deal. Doesn't mean tons of people are under NDA's either.
I make a living out of not answering questions. Both of those are not answering questions. Those are weasel statements as a means to not actually answer a question. I'm told repeatedly that I speak like a lawyer due to my nature of dancing around giving an answer, and both of those are the same kinds of **** I use to not answer questions.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

This makes me happy just based on the fact that we now have an actual concrete date to wait for.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
But no Direct was announced in the span of 2 days after Thursday, now I'm hella confused
I'm...not sure you’re following. He correctly predicted the date of when the Pokemon Direct was going to be announced. It was an ongoing timer which ended at January 7th, 2020 at 6:00 AM which is when the Pokemon Direct was announced.

Now he's got a timer going for when the actual Nintendo Direct is going to be announced.

EDIT: Greninja’d

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
How would you guys feel about Vault Boy being chosen over Dragonborn if Bethesda gets a character?
Me personally? I like Fallout, but there's only one choice I have.

I think Vault Boy's biggest issue is that Fallout's themes are heavily dosed with 50's era Americana and a good helping of Nuclear War, and I don't exactly think that's popular everywhere, considering that we basically did go there in the 40's. Not to mention I can see loads of licensing issues since the Fallout series has always been more closely linked to 40's/50's era pop songs than stuff composed for the games. Now he is a mascot of the series as a whole, and Fallout did finally pop on Nintendo with Shelter last June, but that gives him basically as much Nintendo history as Cloud had, and Vault Boy's not an icon of video gaming as a whole.

Vault Boy to me always felt like a great choice for a Mii costume though. They've had some good ones and some bad ones (Tails), but I feel like VB would just work as a Mii. I wanted Skull Kid (really, I wanted Midna or Urbosa, but I was on board with most Zelda characters) before Ultimate, but I'm perfectly happy with SK's Mii. It's perfectly proportioned and looks great in game. I think the Sans fanbase is also really happy with how that turned out (and MEGALOVANIA is amazing). Vault Boy has the right proportions to make a Mii Brawler (or give him a baseball bat or a laser pistol), so I would actually really like to see that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I make a living out of not answering questions. Both of those are not answering questions. Those are weasel statements as a means to not actually answer a question. I'm told repeatedly that I speak like a lawyer due to my nature of dancing around giving an answer, and both of those are the same kinds of **** I use to not answer questions.
Pfft. There's no weaseling. It was clearly saying to look elsewhere cause it's not happening. Couldn't say a thing more, really. NDA's do work like that, having some very clear instructions. Denying it was happening isn't even weasel words. It's just a no.

There's nothing, again, special about the statement. The statement was clearly negative in context. It had a blatant point behind it. And wouldn't fall any less under an NDA anyway, which is the only reason he can't outright say it.

He was lying under NDA without a doubt, really. Either he was being honest that it was a no, or lying under an NDA. Turns out it was the NDA, of course. And much to fans' satisfactions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom