• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm not a fan of Verg by any means, but denying he's at least a relatively credible leaker makes no sense. He talks about more stuff beyond Smash and as far as I know he was right most of the times. Of course he had some errors if we speak about Smash, I don't think he's infallible and I prefer be surprised with the DLC announcements insteads of knowing beforehand, but at this point he's one of the most consistent leakers.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
"I've been in Nintendo Live from the morning of the first day, but I wanted to make it a surprise for the tournament, and I had endured until the end of the second day.
By the way, there is already a group picture of the venue, Terry Bogard." the tweet

"Thanks for your work.
“Land of Life” could be the first and last time that it could be performed live, so I listened to it in a phrase" the resonse
That's the translation? Where was the kanji for ninja located. You'd call me insane at this rate.
The part "I had endured" correspond to the kanji 忍. The translation should be "I was hiding/sneaking" in that context.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not a fan of Verg by any means, but denying he's at least a relatively credible leaker makes no sense. He talks about more stuff beyond Smash and as far as I know he was right most of the times. Of course he had some errors if we speak about Smash, I don't think he's infallible and I prefer be surprised with the DLC announcements insteads of knowing beforehand, but at this point he's one of the most consistent leakers.
More the reason he's the word to end it all. As said once he speaks it out the debate is over.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Don't forget with Terry he dug into it and then said something around the lines of "He's fine" with a link that lead to an gif spite of Terry doing one of his signature moves.
I wouldn't use that as a point for his favor since Nintendo was the one responsible for the SNK leak. Vergeben didn't even hint at the possibility of there being a character from SNK before Nintendo messed up. It just seems like Vergeben was piggybacking off of Nintendo's mistake.

SKX31

Smash Master
The part "I had endured" correspond to the kanji 忍. The translation should be "I was hiding/sneaking" in that context.
If that's the case then that not only helps Hayabusa, but also any character whose main job is sneaking. Tracer (really), Ezio / AC rep, etc.

It's a bit to vague to call one way or the other IMHO.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm not a fan of Verg by any means, but denying he's at least a relatively credible leaker makes no sense.
No one is saying Vergeben isn't credible. He has revealed a lot of characters base game and got Hero right months before his reveal. I'm just saying that he isn't the be all, end all of leakers and isn't 100% right all the time.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Not wrong about any fighters but he does get things wrong regardless

- He said that Hero would be the first character of the fighters pass.
- He said that the new Zelda game wouldn't be a remake of Link's awakening.
- Although Minecraft content has been left unproven, he did back peddle and say it could have been leak bait.

So he's not 100% correct about everything but that's okay because we're only human and we're bound to slip up from time to time.

Also if we're talking about fighters, he didn't reveal Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, King K Rool, Joker, Banjo & Kazooie or Terry (Only after the Nintendo slip up)
Not leaking characters isn't a sin per se. It's not like any of the other accurate leaks out there (the E3 one at /v/, noatesty, the Ken picture, etc.) ever showcased the full roster.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
If that's the case then that not only helps Hayabusa, but also any character whose main job is sneaking. Tracer (really), Ezio / AC rep, etc.

I don't think so because the kanji 忍 has a specific meaning which is ninja.
Sakurai used verb 忍んでいた, but this a bit unusual choice of word when you can use more normal verbs such as 潜んでいた or 隠れていた like he did in the How to Use Banjo video where he pulled out Snake's amiibo who was hiding in a bush. You only use verb 忍ぶ when you imply something ninja-like situation or just trying to sound edgy.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not leaking characters isn't a sin per se. It's not like any of the other accurate leaks out there (the E3 one at /v/, noatesty, the Ken picture, etc.) ever showcased the full roster.
I should have said "Fighters that he didn't leak" but it was just to prove that Vergeben isn't the be all, end all of leakers.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

No, the kanji is typically used for ninja. That's why it's odd here.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I should have said "Fighters that he didn't leak" but it was just to prove that Vergeben isn't the be all, end all of leakers.
I know he's not perfect, just saying not leaking fighters isn't a con, or at least, not one harmful to his credibility compared to your other examples.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Remember all that League of Legends talk a couple of weeks ago? It seems like Vi or a League rep, in general, are even more primed for Smash.

Riot just had a 10th Anniversary stream last night bursting at the seems with announcements. They're really expanding their brand into numerous genres. There are some key things that I think make Vi/a LoL rep more likely.

• League of Legends Wild Rift: Wild Rift is like a mobile port for League (not exactly a port since it's built from the ground up, but you get the idea) that's also being made for consoles. While Riot didn't specify which consoles it will release on, they're currently looking for Switch developers and other MOBAs have already been released on the Switch. Wild Rift will not only expand League's already enormous player base with the mobile/console market, but also expose Nintendo fans to the IP and establish a connection between Riot, League, and Nintendo. There is also a League Auto Chess game and a League collectible card game (Hearthstone, Shadowverse, etc.) getting ported to mobile that have the potential to be ported to Switch as well.
  • League of Legends fighting game: The game is unnamed and isn't even close to being in Alpha, but it exists. This is another opportunity to expand the League IP and have League be affiliated with Nintendo on the Switch. It also shows Riot being interested in fighting games, and fighting games love to have crossovers with each other.
  • League of Legends Animated Series "Arcane": This one is huge. Riot is working with the studio that they've used for cinematics over the years to create an animated series based in the League universe. Guess who's one of the main characters? Vi. It'll be her backstory, along with other characters. This is a game-changer for Vi, since it shows that Riot is willing to put her at the forefront of something so big for them.
Overall, this is extremely beneficial for Vi. Since Wild Rift is built from the ground up, it can't inlcude every League character, but Vi is already confirmed so she'll be exposed to mobile and console markets. Vi will also most definitely be in the fighting game since she is popular and translates so well into the format. Finally, Riot choosing to make a series including Vi's backstory when they have so many other locales and characters to choose from really distinguishes Vi from all the other League characters benefiting from the spin-offs and ports.

I wouldn't sleep on a LoL rep if I were you. Pretty soon, the biggest problem people will have with them will be addressed: no connection to Nintendo or traditional consoles in general. Riot Games is already a standout company for PC and Esports, and their expansion will make them a leader in the gaming industry as a whole.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
The only thing going against Vergeben's credibility is that he heard Minecraft Content, right? Other than that, he's been pretty spot on.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Remember all that League of Legends talk a couple of weeks ago? It seems like Vi or a League rep, in general, are even more primed for Smash.

Riot just had a 10th Anniversary stream last night bursting at the seems with announcements. They're really expanding their brand into numerous genres. There are some key things that I think make Vi/a LoL rep more likely.

• League of Legends Wild Rift: Wild Rift is like a mobile port for League (not exactly a port since it's built from the ground up, but you get the idea) that's also being made for consoles. While Riot didn't specify which consoles it will release on, they're currently looking for Switch developers and other MOBAs have already been released on the Switch. Wild Rift will not only expand League's already enormous player base with the mobile/console market, but also expose Nintendo fans to the IP and establish a connection between Riot, League, and Nintendo. There is also a League Auto Chess game and a League collectible card game (Hearthstone, Shadowverse, etc.) getting ported to mobile that have the potential to be ported to Switch as well.
  • League of Legends fighting game: The game is unnamed and isn't even close to being in Alpha, but it exists. This is another opportunity to expand the League IP and have League be affiliated with Nintendo on the Switch. It also shows Riot being interested in fighting games, and fighting games love to have crossovers with each other.
  • League of Legends Animated Series "Arcane": This one is huge. Riot is working with the studio that they've used for cinematics over the years to create an animated series based in the League universe. Guess who's one of the main characters? Vi. It'll be her backstory, along with other characters. This is a game-changer for Vi, since it shows that Riot is willing to put her at the forefront of something so big for them.
Overall, this is extremely beneficial for Vi. Since Wild Rift is built from the ground up, it can't inlcude every League character, but Vi is already confirmed so she'll be exposed to mobile and console markets. Vi will also most definitely be in the fighting game since she is popular and translates so well into the format. Finally, Riot choosing to make a series including Vi's backstory when they have so many other locales and characters to choose from really distinguishes Vi from all the other League characters benefiting from the spin-offs and ports.

I wouldn't sleep on a LoL rep if I were you. Pretty soon, the biggest problem people will have with them will be addressed: no connection to Nintendo or traditional consoles in general. Riot Games is already a standout company for PC and Esports, and their expansion will make them a leader in the gaming industry as a whole.
Not only all of that, but Wild Rift will get more news for consoles as soon as next year, so the timing would do wonders for Riot. Ahri was one of the first characters shown for the fighting game, so I'm hopeful for her chances as well.

You forgot to mention that one game that has a camera like Skylanders. We don't know whether that will come for consoles or not, but I think it unlikely that Riot, of all companies, wouldn't try to expand their borders while they can.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No, Smash is like the only thing he's nailed as well as he has, color me surprised. He "leaked" some stuff for MvC:I and not a single thing was true.

What I'm trying to say is Verge has been a good Smash leaker. Everything else? Not so much.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
No, Smash is like the only thing he's nailed as well as he has, color me surprised. He "leaked" some stuff for MvC:I and not a single thing was true.

What I'm trying to say is Verge has been a good Smash leaker. Everything else? Not so much.
The things he said about mvci were reconfirmed by max later and eventually retold by filipino champ. It was indeed the plans capcom had for the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The things he said about mvci were reconfirmed by max later and eventually retold by filipino champ. It was indeed the plans capcom had for the game.
So he sometimes has outdated info?

Isn't that a similar thing what happened with the Gematsu leak back in Smash 4?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
...So what your saying is Marvel vs. Capcom 4 is indeed happening? I dunno dude. I feel like it would've happened by now but I guess we'll wait and see.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I don't think so because the kanji 忍 has a specific meaning which is ninja.
Sakurai used verb 忍んでいた, but this a bit unusual choice of word when you can use more normal verbs such as 潜んでいた or 隠れていた like he did in the How to Use Banjo video where he pulled out Snake's amiibo who was hiding in a bush. You only use verb 忍ぶ when you imply something ninja-like situation or just trying to sound edgy.
Of course, there's also the fact that Ninja Gaiden series also has pretty heavy ties to the kanji 忍. Most notably, the icon for ki / spiritual strength powerups in the original NES trilogy is the kanji 忍.

However, I really doubt Sakurai meant anything with his tweet. Not everything is a hint.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've so much time discussing and y'all are literally against me. All the future DLC wishlists I've seen are all male and have driven me to the point of psychological breakdown. As time went on, I can't help but feel hopeless...emotional...out of control...broken.

I don't want to be the person left out. I don't wnat to be the person left crying while everyone's happy. Y'all get cool reaction videos while I'm stuck on the corner crying

Smash made me buy a Switch. You don't understand how much it affected my entire life.
I think you should really broaden your horizons. I haven't seen you talk about any characters you want, only that you want female characters. You're really setting yourself up for disappointment with these standards. I get wanting female characters to join the fray, but surely there's a male character you'd like to see, right?
Game of the year =/= average consumer knowing what a Witcher is. Let alone Geralt.

Thing is, an average person playing the Switch who buys the DLC won’t care about the “GOTY” awards. And they outweigh the people that know on the console.
Any thoughts on the 40 million sales or the Netflix show? That's pretty 'average consumer' knowledge.

Plus, as others have said, the needs of the average consumer haven't really been taken into consideration anyways.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think you should really broaden your horizons. I haven't seen you talk about any characters you want, only that you want female characters. You're really setting yourself up for disappointment with these standards. I get wanting female characters to join the fray, but surely there's a male character you'd like to see, right?

Any thoughts on the 40 million sales or the Netflix show? That's pretty 'average consumer' knowledge.

Plus, as others have said, the needs of the average consumer haven't really been taken into consideration anyways.
On one hand 40 million franchise sales does 't mean 40 million fans.

On the other hand Witcher 3 being 20 million is ****ing bonkers, are you sure that's right?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Witcher 3 utterly annihilated all prior preorder records too if I'm not mistaken. The game had already made its money back plus some before it released (I think). That's wild, especially for an RPG.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love a Switch port of NieR Automata..I already loved it on PS4 so I'd love to play it again..and if it has to be downgraded, I'd love if they made it cell shaded and tried to match its beautiful artwork.

I really do hope that 2B comes in as one of those surprise recent successes. Yoko Taro really deserved to finally have a massively successful and hugely praised game.

2B is in the same place as any other popular iconic 3rd Party honestly, so I see her chances as high but not a sure thing.

Oh, they will, it honestly wouldn't take much..all they'd have to do is making her stockings into leggings/tights and she'd be fine similarly to how they censored female Corrin, both Bayonettas, and other such characters.

Geno may have Fan Requests..but what does his inclusion really do for Nintendo or Square-Enix...or most of Europe quite honestly.. As much as I love Super Mario RPG, I never understood the love for Geno..I honestly benched him every time the moment I got Peach lol
As for Sora, he's not Square-Enix, he's entirely owned by Disney, so Sora has no part of this Square-Enix competition.
Then for Lara Croft..she may be an Icon..in the West..but she's hardly what I'd consider particularly likely for Super Smash Bros honestly.

I wouldn't really consider those much. They only just now decided to take part in CrossPlay (I don't count SFV since they consider it a 'PS4 Exclusive' and thus likely don't see PC as a competitor).
As for Kat & Raven..do we know they'll appear in the Switch version?

It honestly comes down to whether or not Sakurai considers Tamagatchi-like Virtual Pets as 'toys' or 'video games'.
If the director of Digimon games for Bandai Namco considers Tamagotchi "LCD Games", I don't know why Sakurai wouldn't consider it.
And if Sakurai considers Game & Watch as video games, why wouldn't a Virtual Pet be considered?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And Monster Hunter World as well. If Geralt's portal shenaningans get worse then he might him end up in Smash one day :p
Too bad Rathalos is the face of Monster Hunter and represents the series enough.

RIP Monster Hunter (Male+Female) which they would had otherwise revealed alongside Rathalos' announcement as a boss.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

FRom what I heard MvC4 is happening, but they're going to restart production again on next gen consoles. Just reusing and updating infinite wouldn't be enough, the damage was already irreparable.

D

Deleted member

Talking about a dead game really killed this thread for a few hours huh?
Of course, we need to keep talking about Ryu and Brew leak to keep people interested.

No, but honestly it would be interesting to compare on the stuff that MvCI did wrong compared to smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom