• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I mean... I think you're taking this way too seriously, especially considering that DLC isn't over yet. We know for a fact because of their phrasing in the "more DLC" announcement that we're getting at least two more characters post-Pass. I get being disappointed in a character choice, but... funny party game shouldn't have this much of a say in anyone's life.

I see. That's great news for Hayabusa fans, if true. I mean, it's obviously no confirmation, but it's a good thing for them. I mean, I don't have any particular attachment to the character, but I do think it's a good way to end the Pass.

All in all, I'd be pretty satisfied. My most wanted (Banjo and Kazooie), two cool surprises (Joker and Terry) and two franchises I respect (Hero and Hayabusa). Worth every penny imo.
I've so much time discussing and y'all are literally against me. All the future DLC wishlists I've seen are all male and have driven me to the point of psychological breakdown. As time went on, I can't help but feel hopeless...emotional...out of control...broken.

I don't want to be the person left out. I don't wnat to be the person left crying while everyone's happy. Y'all get cool reaction videos while I'm stuck on the corner crying

Hark, my heart doth break over the lack of newcomers that interest my fair heart too Lesley, but this drama is too much for thine to bare.

Seriously though, you said you were going to take a break pre Brew because it was getting overwhelming, so you thought you needed a rest too.

When I get that way I just boot up the Switch and play a game I enjoy outside of Smash.
Smash made me buy a Switch. You don't understand how much it affected my entire life.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm rooting for Dante. Also, read my signature.

Unfortunately, no.

I should've replied to this a long time ago.
I don't mind any of those characters getting in, although I'd rather have different characters before the ones in the rumor.
Hayabusa- I was expecting him already because, to me, he made too much sense to NOT be in.
Jonesy- Fortnite in Smash doesn't sound like a bad idea the more I think about it. (Although it looks like ****posters are using him as the new "Smash Boogeyman" since Tracer only lasted for a week.)
Maxwell- Like Terry, this one hits me in the childhood. However, I'd find him out of place in Smash, especially due to how Scribblenauts works.
Claire- Weird but okay. (Especially over Wesker, Jill, Chris, and Leon.)
Chosen Undead- Also weird but okay. (Especially over Lloyd and Heihachi.)
Anyways, here's a question for everyone: how would you compare this to the Grinch Leak? Do y'all think this is Grinch Leak 2: Electric Bogaloo?
I don’t see why a Dark Souls rep wouldn’t make more sense than a Tales rep. Dark Souls is much more popular. It’s also one of the most influential games of this decade, essentially spawning a new genre of games.

I‘m not too gung-ho about it, but the Smash community really underrates how much sense a DS rep would make. I think it’d be well deserved.

D

Deleted member

Hark, my heart doth break over the lack of newcomers that interest my fair heart too Lesley, but this drama is too much for thine to bare.

Seriously though, you said you were going to take a break pre Brew because it was getting overwhelming, so you thought you needed a rest too.

When I get that way I just boot up the Switch and play a game I enjoy outside of Smash.
Your speech pattern is not helping.

I took a rest before, but my obligations here have a good weight. Every time there would be a credible leak, I would always side with the "It's fake" side. I never wanted to be rude, but if you backread this thresd, I've long opposed their inclusion in the current pass, though I always said that I would be okay for them in Season 2.

I've been clamoring...asking...demanding for a female character ever since Joker got released. It doesn't feel right without a good female rep. It didn't have to be the one I want, but still make an impact. I've been shot down over and over again, and now I'm on my last legs. I've given up hope, bit it left me broken.

I don't want to be the woman, situated in the darkest corners of the room, all while hearing the loudest of spectacles cheer. I don't want to be the only one who is tearing up while everyone is happy, joyful, ecstatic. I don't want to be left out.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I'm glad we can agree, especially since there's been tons of arguments lately.

I'd personally choose Shrek himself though a Shrek character high on the tier list would be hilarious!
and isn't Red Riding Hood top tier in Super Slam? Wait why is she banned?
SHREK SUPERSLAM HAS TOURNAMENTS?????!?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Waluigi utilizing his movesets based off of the sports games & Mario Party isn't a bad idea if you think about it.................a pity that it's literally the exact reason he'll never get in.
I think the idea of Waluigi having a sports moveset is dumb. The only thing that has ever sold me on Waluigi was the Duke of Dorks moveset that is based around cheating and using the HUD in the game to attack people.

Geno may have Fan Requests..but what does his inclusion really do for Nintendo or Square-Enix...or most of Europe quite honestly..
It makes them money. There doesn't always need to be another reason for it.

Personally I would love it if Phoenix's trailer was something akin to a reprise of the courtroom scene in Super Mario Sunshine. Mario is on his last legs of trying to be proven innocent while Bowser and Bowser Jr are mocking him from the gallery or prosecution bench. The Pianta judge is about to announce the verdict and then...
(Objection! image)
Ah, my reaction to the possibility of Phoenix being the last fighter would be incredible.
Ooooooh, I like this reveal trailer idea. Everybody has shocked faces as the camera switches from one person to another and then turns to Phoenix. "I have evidence to prove that my client is innocent! So let me show you!

Then his final smash "TAKE THAT!" has Phoenix doing his Objection pose while a bunch of papers carried by a strong wind vortex hits Bowser and son. "My client is innocent and I have the evidence to prove it!" then multiple sheets of paper containing evidence pile up on top of the two. "The real culprit is you!" and if the opponent is at 100%, they are instantly KO'd.

D

Deleted member

Ooooooh, I like this reveal trailer idea. Everybody has shocked faces as the camera switches from one person to another and then turns to Phoenix. "I have evidence to prove that my client is innocent! So let me show you!

Then his final smash "TAKE THAT!" has Phoenix doing his Objection pose while a bunch of papers carried by a strong wind vortex hits Bowser and son. "My client is innocent and I have the evidence to prove it!" then multiple sheets of paper containing evidence pile up on top of the two. "The real culprit is you!" and if the opponent is at 100%, they are instantly KO'd
Dude that'll be kinda hype.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Every fighting game has tier lists whether you like it or not.
Every tier list has tier lists whether you like it or not.

#BuffDuckling

To shamelessly change the topic a bit: I think the League of Legends stuff we got yesterday makes me more confident in a character for season 2 DLC. I've talked about how PC gaming is the only big surprise we could get in Smash aside from a Sony character and, well...

D

Deleted member

That's essentially my take away from all of it as well.

Its been muddied up and clouded but keep in mind people can get spooked with sudden attention to their leak and want to remain safe so just dont pay too much attention to all the fluff here. BASICALLY this is the same leak as Iamshifty saying Ryu Hayabusa, we just now have two people backing that (Iamshifty and Brew Elfen) and we have a bit more "proof" of credibility with Brew Elfens FB post being publicly shown now.
Didn't somebody get fired over the Grinch Leak? I believe someone wanting to stay private with this leak stuff.

D

Deleted member

To shamelessly change the topic a bit: I think the League of Legends stuff we got yesterday makes me more confident in a character for season 2 DLC. I've talked about how PC gaming is the only big surprise we could get in Smash aside from a Sony character and, well...
You don't need to be shameful about it. Yeah, I'm rooting for a League champ for Season 2. In my book, a lot of them can rock in Smash.

Didn't somebody get fired over the Grinch Leak? I believe someone wanting to stay private with this leak stuff.
Whoever it was...I wanna have his head on a silver platter. Sorry, I was overreacting.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You don't need to be shameful about it. Yeah, I'm rooting for a League champ for Season 2. In my book, a lot of them can rock in Smash.
I mean, Ahri would have to be my choice, but pretty much every champion has something nice to bring. Plus the new Elemental Drake hazards they revealed yesterday would be pretty dope in a Smash stage.

D

Deleted member

I mean, Ahri would have to be my choice, but pretty much every champion has something nice to bring. Plus the new Elemental Drake hazards they revealed yesterday would be pretty dope in a Smash stage.
Come to think of it...since LoL is turnibg 10, what better way to talk to Sakurai to have your game immortalized in the greatest crossover of all time?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Besides Ryu Hayabusa looking likely as the fifth fighter?
Nothing much.
I know of one reason why. But is there more? I'd like a breif summary of all the evidence pointing to this so I can make an assessment. This stuff is really interesting to me. It's like being a detective lol

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I know of one reason why. But is there more? I'd like a breif summary of all the evidence pointing to this so I can make an assessment. This stuff is really interesting to me. It's like being a detective lol
It's just IamShifty and Brew who are friends that have the same sources saying Ryu Hayabusa is definitely in, both of them saying that the 4Chan post is fake and made by an imposter (as they usually are). Then there is Brew hearing Geno from his sources but right now he is unsure of it since he was joked about. Then there is Sakurai writing in Kanji in a Twitter post that are making people think that it might be a hint towards Ryu Hayabusa, thus supporting IamShifty and Brew's claims.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
8.5/10

There's of course the possibility that Shifty and Brew are wrong and Sakurai's tweet with the ninja kanji was just a coincidence. But we'll see.
There is another possibility. Sakurai said he wanted to surprise in the tournament, and he hid it until the end of the second day. The kanji appears towards the the comma, which could also mean "in ninja mode", and would be explicit in this context.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Come to think of it...since LoL is turnibg 10, what better way to talk to Sakurai to have your game immortalized in the greatest crossover of all time?
I think they'd either be the very first character for next season (Joker-style curveball) or be revealed in a Direct in case Wild Rift comes to Switch in 2020.

If you wanted to do a joint announcement like that, it's the perfect excuse.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Allow me to remind you that Witcher 3 alone sold over 20 million copies and won GOTY 2015, the game series has sold 40 million, and it's getting a live action Netflix series.
Game of the year =/= average consumer knowing what a Witcher is. Let alone Geralt.

Thing is, an average person playing the Switch who buys the DLC won’t care about the “GOTY” awards. And they outweigh the people that know on the console.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Any new leaks that I may have missed?
We might be getting Ryu Hayabusa as Fighter #5 and Geno is a possibility for the additional DLC. here's my summary a few comments up.

It's just IamShifty and Brew who are friends that have the same sources saying Ryu Hayabusa is definitely in, both of them saying that the 4Chan post is fake and made by an imposter (as they usually are). Then there is Brew hearing Geno from his sources but right now he is unsure of it since he was joked about. Then there is Sakurai writing in Kanji in a Twitter post that are making people think that it might be a hint towards Ryu Hayabusa, thus supporting IamShifty and Brew's claims.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, I guess you expect me to be sorry but my two most wanted, Doom Slayer and Hayabusa, have been stuck in their little secluded corner of the Smash fanbase with no hype associated with them and people consistently coming around telling us how terrible and impossible of a choice they would be so I'm really not sorry.
...has anyone really been doing that for Hayabusa?

I mean, I've seen people that don't have any interest in him, but most people seem to at least agree that he's basically the next Simon-type pick.

I'm just the most heartbroken, disappointed, and depressed person in the world right now.
Yeah, and it's all over a video game character. Just imagine how bad you'd feel if you had any real problems.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ryu Hiabusa has been in the rumor mill for quite a while as he was in that one that guessed Joker

Sysreq

Smash Ace
It basically comes down to 2 people having one source and backing each other on it and the possibility that Sakurai left a hint in a tweet he made. It's not nothing, but it comes down to if you believe Iamshifty and Brew (the 2 people)'s source.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
We'll only know if Vergeben ever speaks up about it.
I think Shifty seems honest enough and has a decent track record to hold himself. Vergeben isn't really the be all, end all of leakers especially when he gets stuff wrong sometimes so it can go both ways.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That's the translation? Where was the kanji for ninja located. You'd call me insane at this rate.
There is another possibility. Sakurai said he wanted to surprise in the tournament, and he hid it until the end of the second day. The kanji appears towards the the comma, which could also mean "in ninja mode", and would be explicit in this context.
It's probably the "endure" part. That's one meaning of the kanji for shinobi.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But since when has Verge been wrong about any fighters?
Not wrong about any fighters but he does get things wrong regardless

- He said that Hero would be the first character of the fighters pass.
- He said that the new Zelda game wouldn't be a remake of Link's awakening.
- Although Minecraft content has been left unproven, he did back peddle and say it could have been leak bait.

So he's not 100% correct about everything but that's okay because we're only human and we're bound to slip up from time to time.

Also if we're talking about fighters, he didn't reveal Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, King K Rool, Joker, Banjo & Kazooie or Terry (Only after the Nintendo slip up)

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I've so much time discussing and y'all are literally against me. All the future DLC wishlists I've seen are all male and have driven me to the point of psychological breakdown. As time went on, I can't help but feel hopeless...emotional...out of control...broken.

I don't want to be the person left out. I don't wnat to be the person left crying while everyone's happy. Y'all get cool reaction videos while I'm stuck on the corner crying
I fully understand the feeling, and although I don't want to ressurect the topic when mods have been clear we should drop it I should mention that the gender ratio of video game players has shifted majorly since the 64 days. A lot more girls / women play now than 20 years ago, but the number of new icons since then are kind of limited (I'd say 10-20 at most?) since becoming an unquestionable icon is hard. No matter the gender.

Sakurai doesn't mean ill when he picks characters, I never got that impression. Still, I'd think it's worth pointing out to him that yes, one or two women per Pass would be a good thing.

That said. If you're saying you're at the point of breakdown, I'd recommend professional help like psychologists or something like that you yourself trust. Now there's no guarantee that they will all be good. Still, they've educated themselves to deal with situations like these, so the chances of a psychologist being good is very strong. Emotions are indeed powerful, and it's incredibly difficult to avoid feeling or getting consumed by them when things go wrong. I know that as well, all too well. Again, someone you trust is key.

If you wanna talk to anyone here you trust, feel free to shoot a PM when you're ready. The last phrase being key, when you're ready.

I'm glad we can agree, especially since there's been tons of arguments lately.

I'd personally choose Shrek himself though a Shrek character high on the tier list would be hilarious!
and isn't Red Riding Hood top tier in Super Slam? Wait why is she banned?
IIRC it's because her apples (projectiles) have ridicolous hit- and blockstun (meaning whatever you do RRH's gonna lock you down for a throw) - letting her build kill move meter for cheap. And her Slam (kill move) is incredibly safe and sucks the opponent in.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Not a fighter though. For all we know said content could be future Mii costumes like an Creeper hat or Steve (:ultswordfighter:).
I'd argue that, if we were to get Mii costumes for Minecraft, it'd either have been with B-K or will be with a future Microsoft rep. The fact that B-K was the only one to get costumes unrelated to their company is kind of telling about how much of an outlier M$ is with Smash involvement.

I either think we'll get MC content later via costumes with another M$ rep (Master Chief?) or we'll actually get Steve. The outcry for Steve as playable is huge, no matter if you like or hate the idea, and MC outsold even Tetris. I think he's got high likelihood for additional DLC.

Either way, if the MC content we heard about from Verge all that long ago was legitimate, we'd probably see hide and hair of it by now. It's clear by now that he dropped the ball on MC content, at least for this season.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
More often then not though Vergeben has been right regardless. More the reason to think he's the word to end it all.
- He said that the new Zelda game wouldn't be a remake of Link's awakening.
Not Smash related which he's more often then not spot on with.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Game of the year =/= average consumer knowing what a Witcher is. Let alone Geralt.

Thing is, an average person playing the Switch who buys the DLC won’t care about the “GOTY” awards. And they outweigh the people that know on the console.
Average consumers playing the Switch also wouldn't be aware of Terry, Joker and Banjo but here they are.

At this point, "Average Joe" arguments are starting to sound forced.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Also if we're talking about fighters, he didn't reveal Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, King K Rool, Joker, Banjo & Kazooie or Terry (Only after the Nintendo slip up)
No I remember he was like "99% sure Banjo was in" before the fact and I don't recall him saying Piranha Plant was in.

Also boy I hope my Nintendo pick for number 5 doesn't get regular ninja'd.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No I remember he was like "99% sure Banjo was in" before the fact and I don't recall him saying Piranha Plant was in.

Don't forget with Terry he dug into it and then said something around the lines of "He's fine" with a link that lead to an gif spite of Terry doing one of his signature moves.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Shinobi602 revealed Banjo & Kazooie way before Vergeben and even then, he gave them a 99% chance. You're probably right about Piranha Plant. I wasn't too sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom