• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Stickers

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I actually think this update is fun and whimsical
Something brawl needs more of to tone down the rage of the advanced gamers. ^_^

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
This isn't that bad, its just kinda useless. I only hope that if there's some sort of character customizer you can put some of these on characters as emblems.

Adi

Smash Lord
I don't really care much myself, my win-loss record from online is going to be much more of a symbolization of acheivement than any 1P acheivement

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
This isn't that bad, its just kinda useless. I only hope that if there's some sort of character customizer you can put some of these on characters as emblems.
If this is true, I know where everyone will put stickers on Zamus.....

Yea....In her hands.

OOOHHH!! U C WAT I DID DAR?!1?shift1!

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I still wonder WHY the screenshot has the GameCube controllers button.

It befuddles me.
I hope this post and the first one were a joke, is it so hard to understand that Sakurai is using the GameCube controller while playing? If he was using the Wii controler, there would be Wii buttons. Why must there be some super secret thing to find out in all of these screens? Next thing I know, you guys are gonna be wondering who stitched Mario's overalls and maybe one of the screens would tell us. :dizzy:

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
As if Trophies weren't bad enough.....I mean, at least the, by definition, Trophies are rewarding in SOME fashion, because they're trophies.

Wouldn't it be better if they UPGRADED from Trophies? Even if not graphical, at least in core concept? Stickers are the 5 cent pieces of crap I buy in bundles of 5,000 at the supermarket when I'm 8 and plaster onto my backpack or binder. They're not for showing your accomplishments in ANYTHING, let alone a game that doesn't have to pay extra money to upgrade from paper stickers to metallic trophies.

Florida

イーグランツ
I don't get why so many people are bagging on this update, I think it's pretty cool. The only question I have about this update, is if these will act more or less like trophies. Will the stickers be replacing trophies, or just be a different mode completely?

It was also cool to notice that Sakurai prefers the Gamecube controller :p
Or maybe he's just showing us those specific controls, because we're used to it already. Also, it was fun to spot out the different characters that were stickers. I major ones I noticed were Balloon Fighter, Toad, and an F-Zero racer. As far as I'm concerned, this week is turning out to be the best up to date.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I hope this post and the first one were a joke, is it so hard to understand that Sakurai is using the GameCube controller while playing? If he was using the Wii controler, there would be Wii buttons. Why must there be some super secret thing to find out in all of these screens? Next thing I know, you guys are gonna be wondering who stitched Mario's overalls and maybe one of the screens would tell us. :dizzy:
finally, someone else touches on this topic. I've seen ranting about the stickers itself and what it can lead to.

anyway, how do we know Sakurai is playing it himself? Kinda iffy if that's a reason for your answer. But why show the screens of the GameCubes buttons. I think it was meant for the fans to point out and be left in suspense for. I mean he's done the "Who knows what's down there..." for the Castle Siege stage. But no one can answer this, it was just meant to discuss.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
And i'm pretty sure future updates will allow Wiis to use a printer, if they hope for you to surf the net they got to have at least a print option. If you want to get really technical you could actually try and make your own stickers. There are 2 USB ports at the back if i'm not mistaken.... (Printer anyone? Sticker Paper? They are available at certain shops.) Just imagine I could coat the Wii with my stickers. I could have the entire Roster with all their stickers on the front of the Wii.
First thing that came to my mind really. Although I probably won't be printing any stickers. The only 2 cool stickers I've ever had were a "no camping" warning sign, which covers the case of my UT-pc. And one from Mario kart, with the Koopa holding the starting light and all.

QFT, Sakurai has already stated he prefers the GC controller cuz of the rumble, it's no big deal at all.

remember that the wii is supposed to be a family console so mabey that's why?
I find that hard to believe, I'm rather sure Nintendo will stay far more true to the hardcore gamers than most of the people think. Actually, the Dojo updates are a 100% dedicating to hardcore gaming. We get something from Nintendo every day, remember?

Anywayz, I think today's update was allright. I think stickers will be alongside thropies and trophies will probably be a little harder to collect. I'm guessing, trophies as reward for completing single player modes (which has probably gotten harder as well), yes, trophies for unlocking characters/stages, yes, trophies at random/lotery, no. And then stickers for the grab everywhere.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Assuming this is just an extra gag they threw in because it didn't take much space and has some childish appeal, and that we still get our trophy viewing mode which was pretty sweet in Melee, I'm fine with it.

However, I'll admit it may be fun to be slaughtering enemies in one player just to get to a sticker for my scrap book. I remember a very, very similar mode in Kirby 64, a little book of all the enemies that may be a precursor to the trophy mode. You got the profiles by getting these cards from a mini-game at the end of a level, used to do that quite a bit while fooling around with the power combos.

I'm also a bit worried about what a million perverted minds are going to do with these innocent stickers.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
finally, someone else touches on this topic. I've seen ranting about the stickers itself and what it can lead to.

anyway, how do we know Sakurai is playing it himself? Kinda iffy if that's a reason for your answer. But why show the screens of the GameCubes buttons. I think it was meant for the fans to point out and be left in suspense for. I mean he's done the "Who knows what's down there..." for the Castle Siege stage. But no one can answer this, it was just meant to discuss.
Fine, then whoever is playing the game is using the GameCube controller. What the hell do you expect? There to be some secret plot twist and secret characters unlocked after using the GameCube controller for play? I swear, this is absoultely the most RIDICULOUS argument I have EVER been in in my entire life. "Ohh! Sakurai is showing us something secret because there are GameCube buttons on the page!" What secret could there POSSIBLY be!? I didn't want to pull a Dylan Tnga here, but seriously, I have never been in a stupider argument in my entire life.

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
I will be intrested in these stickers, if they become useful. If I can do something intresting and amusing with them then I'll be all for them. Otherwise, bleh.

What we should consider is how many there will be. Looking at the aray that has already been shown I will not be shocked to see them totalling to over a thousand.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I think I'm going to leave the stickers on in tournament games, it can be like the new taunt. Stomp>Nair>Uair>Knee>knee>Pick up sticker. That is assuming you can get stickers just from doing a combo.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
ZOMG GUYS! Look!

The DK sticker is touching the Samurai Goro sticker. Do you know what that means?! The stickers must be GAY! LOLZ!!!

(In other words, quit using the word "gay" to express your distaste over this update; doing so is plain ignorant.)

Hey, everyone...

Am I the only one with this theory?

Note that these stickers all have different sizes... like they are relative to the importance of a character

Now look at the sizes of Balloon Fighter... and Toad.

Granted, Toad still has a chance if this theory holds true, as there's also a Wario from Strikers Charged sticker of the same size... but... Toad's is so unspecific...

Am I just imagining this?
I noticed it, too! Fear not! Also note, though, that Toad is bigger than Hammer Bro, roughly the same size as the Wario sticker. Likewise, the Goro sticker is bigger than Wario, an inverse relationship as far as non/playable characters go. Really, I don't think it proves anything just yet, but it's nice to know that Sakurai has acknowledged my favorite character in some way. That at least gives him a chance.

And considering that BF has been widely regarded as a shoo-in for Brawl, why would his sticker be the same size as Toad's? It's inconclusive at best, but it's interesting to speculate nonetheless.

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
It just seems like another trophy set to me, I guess it will just be something to try and complete when the games getting old and your 1 playering on your own

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm going to leave the stickers on in tournament games, it can be like the new taunt. Stomp>Nair>Uair>Knee>knee>Pick up sticker. That is assuming you can get stickers just from doing a combo.
How about Moonwalk>Gentleman>Pick up sticker. :lick:

It would be cool if you could change a characters appearance by putting stickers in their costumes

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Trophies were confirmed by the update...kinda
Trophies are in no way confirmed or deconfirmed in any way.

Sakurai said:
Stickers are easier to get a hold of than trophies. Just play the game and you’ll start to earn them as rewards.
There are two possibilities:

• Sakurai was comparing a sticker's obtainability to a trophy in the game saying it was easier to get.
  • Sakurai was comparing a sticker's obtainability to a trophy in Melee saying it was easier to get.

...it could go either way.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
weak update.

In regards to Snap (what's up its Mo from berk), i think we just saw that Sakurai basically expects most ppl to continue using the Gamecube controller.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
weak update.

In regards to Snap (what's up its Mo from berk), i think we just saw that Sakurai basically expects most ppl to continue using the Gamecube controller.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
@ the post on page 3 naming all of the stickers:

The elephant is called Pak E. Derm, and the monkey is definitely NOT from DK.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman

Does anybody notice that the buttons on the screen are from the GAMECUBE CONTROLLER?

Can anyone draw any conclusions from this fact?

We already know that we're going to be able to use the gamecube controller, but is this telling anything else new?
The only conclusion you can draw from that is that depending on which controller style you are using at the time, the controls on the screen will change for the corresponding style. Not that amazing ...

Though I am glad they're doing that, I absolutely hate trying to do certain things in DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 with the GCN controller when all it tells me are the Wii remote controls.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I think the reason 4chan might laugh at you so much is that you come off as though Sakurai has personally offended you, or you think he's out to specifically defame the style of Smash you like, with every update you disapprove of.
Ok sure, but the thing is that's pure assumption both on your part and on 4chans. I just think stickers are lame, I dont see how that has anything to do with the ''style of smash I like'' as this update wasn't even gameplay related. I wouldnt want to collect stickers in any video game.

This is an addition that a variety of people may enjoy, without detracting anything from those who won't If you don't, it's nothing to worry about. That's what's cool about Smash; play and enjoy any elements you like, and ignore the rest for all anyone cares.
Agreed, I mostly ignored trophies in melee, despite how cool they are. It all comes down to VS mode for me pretty much.

Also, it's important to note that enjoying these stickers is merely child-like. Obsession with violence, muscles, and awesomeness (as your posts on this imply), however, is actually childish. There's a difference :D Just some more friendly advice.
Captain falcon kicks major ***. Hes not childish hes... child.. stepping on. yeah!

edit: this post may come off as combative. I apologize for that, but I'm not going to edit it out. Instead I'll just note that all my point was, is that it's one thing to dislike an update and list your reasons why. It's another thing to claim that Sakurai is, in some way, incompetent or ruining the game everytime you dislike an update.
I didn't see it as combatative :) And I in no way implied any of the aformentioned things in this quote, I meerly stated my dislike for stickers as they're just weak. If you like em or not I really couldnt care less.

And youd have to be pretttttty thick to go ''Omg brawl ruined!11!!1!'' over a collectible you don't like.

The way I see it, my posts aren't the problem. It's the fact that you all read to much into them, or assume that I'm 100 percent serious about everything I say.

And Dylan_Tnga, I thought you were banned? Everyone hates you anyways. People from other boards make fun of you all the time.
Nice, 34 posts into your posting career and you're able to say with confidence that everyone here hates me, Im glad I had you to point this out to me... except oh wait you're a pathetic 4chan fanboy, and you cant name any ''other boards'' aside from 4chan. Which, by the way, doesn't count as a board or a forum, its a spamfest populated by a conglomeration of the nerdiest and creepiest dudes on the net.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I assum you can add the stickers to the screenshots. It's not much, but a nice touch. I give the update a 1/5, but it could be worse.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
@ the post on page 3 naming all of the stickers:

The elephant is called Pak E. Derm, and the monkey is definitely NOT from DK.
WRONG. The little white monkey (which resenbles the monkey from... Dora the Explorer, is from DK Jungle Beat.

But yeah, that's Pak E. Derm.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
As I said before, they may end up a guilty pleasure. Badass tourney players scoffing at the 1-player and new tiers...But secretly trading stickers online so they can make a little collage of their favorite characters having a tea party.

It's kiddy enough you just have to ignore it if you can't joke about it.
Now if they gave us a coloring book with Wii-mote crayons, that would be just rock face.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
its alright no big deal its just another mode, people say its kiidy but whatever u dont have to use that mode, and trophies most likley wont be gone stickers are just an extra thing to collect i mean the characters are trophies (in the adventure game)so y would they take em out

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It looks okay.

All I can say is at least we're getting updates this week that we didn't know about before, right?

Snap

Smash Ace
This is weird. I didn't think this thread would be more popular than the devil assist trophy. It seems like the general consensus is that people like the devil assist trophy better than these stickers. but this thread has more replies than the devil assist trophy one, and it's been open for half the time.

Top Bottom