• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Stickers

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
*sigh* I see myself already having a ridiculously organized scrapbook, with only one of each sticker, all divided by franchise... yeah, I like collecting the collectibles.

Hopefully these don't completely replace them trophies...

Speachami

Smash Cadet
Anyone else notice the numbered cubes in two pages of the stickers shown? I think that those may be hinting about a bigger feature about these stickers than just a collection. Perhaps if you collect numbers 1-10 you get an unlockable secret. But if you don't, then these stickers are pretty much useless.

Oh and I don't care what all you anti-trolls think of that statement, it's my ****ing opinion.

Speachami

Smash Cadet
Its ok, more stuff=better game =)
Just because a game has a bunch of ****ty extra features does not mean that it will be a "better game".

A big pile of **** is still **** no matter how many lbs you got for just $55.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Urgh...I really loved the trophies. I remember getting the Giga Bowser trophy in Melee, and moving the camera around, and changing the background so he looks menacing.

I also loved reading the descriptions - from Alpha to ZERO-ONE , I learnt so much about past Nintendo franchises that I never played before.

But now, these stickers...

Hopefully each one comes with a Similar description.
And I'm thinking that these stickers may play a more important role, maybe getting rid of alternate costumes - you just put the stickers you've got on the character...
I don't know, but regardless, this is a gutting update.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Nobody said they would replace trophies. Sakurai said that Stickers are easier to get a hold of than trophies.

And Dylan_Tnga, I thought you were banned? Everyone hates you anyways. People from other boards make fun of you all the time.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
STICKERS ARE NOT REPLACING TROPHIES! Sakurai mentioned trophies,so I'm assuming that they are their too. This update is kind of boring compared to the last two awesome ones we've gotten.

Wayfarer

Smash Rookie
"Stickers are easier to get a hold of than trophies. Just play the game and you’ll start to earn them as rewards."

LET'S FACE IT GUYS, Sakurai's words in this update are kind of ambigious and can be interpreted in different ways. Will there be trophies and stickers? -OR- Will there be stickers, but no trophies?" That depends if you are comparing it Melee. But we can't tell if he's comparing it to Melee. When I think about it, the answer isn't clear....

I was really hoping trophies would return in Brawl. There were very cool and highly interactive. I think replacing them with a simple scrapbook stick system would be a step backwards. My bottom line is that I personally hope stickers aren't replacing trophies.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
If anyone recalls the This World/Subspace Emissary updates, it showed Kirby as a trophy. To me, this is a pretty good indicator that trophies will be in the game, and stickers are more of a side option to play around in.
If you recall, Trophies were cool and informative, but other than zooming and moving them around, not very interactive; Stickers look to be fun, but more for casual players than serious Smashers.

JPW

Smash Ace
I really hope we get a print option out of this. I would love to make my own stickers.

i'm pretty sure you'll still be collecting Assist Trophies too. They can't make all those AT's available at the start, where would be the fun in that.

In the end all he's trying to do is make the 1P mode look appealing. Mutliplayer gets praised a lot but the single player experience possibly seems to be lacking to him.

I actually enjoyed 1p Mode in Melee. Not as much as Multiplayer or such, but still it kept me occupied when my mates weren't around.

Stickers may seem childish, or lame. But I feel you're missing out on the potential. Maybe it's because i'm a lefty I see a more creative side to it. And I'm willing to accept I have an inner child and i'm going to love this stuff.

You have to also remember Smash Bros. isn't just for young adults, or hardcore gamers, or mid teens. It's for Children too. And with the way Nintendo's been going for the market lately. Families and Females too, you got to cater for every aspect of the market.

Why is Nintendogs an Assist Trophy? When it has nothing to do with Smash Bros? And how many guys, that aren't gay, actually play Nintendogs? However just because I feel Nintendogs is cheesy/lame to me, doesn't mean it doesn't belong.
I'm sorry i never seen a guy pick up a DS and play Nintendogs. I do see Females however do that. Most of the guys seem to play Brain Training or Mario Kart.

But anyway.... Stickers are cool, and could be a lot like Posters in a way right? You have Posters on your wall right? Whether it be Cars, Girl, Movies, Games, you have no shame there right?
what's so different here?

They also might go out of their way to make some stickers stand out. When I first saw or heard about Trophies in Smash Bros. I thought they were lame. And who cares about trophies right? Trophies are something for doing well in sports or school right? But they made them exciting and they did their homework on each one. With the depth and detail.

Stickers look to be fun, but more for casual players than serious Smashers.
i'm guessing i'm a casual player now, despite the fact I reckon i'm a pretty good smasher. And Melee is my 5th favourite game of all time.

Arghh we'll know better when this game is online. Than we'll see who's better, and what is the definition of a real smasher and casual smash player. Are casuals worse or better? I don't think i'm a casual but if you're willing to label me one I'd be happy to try and prove you wrong.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
omg this is gay, i don't wanna collect no **** stickers (even though imma have to). i like the trophies better.

lol why would i spend my time making a scrap book or comic when i could be whoopin people ***.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think stickers will possibly replace trophies, and if that's the case, I think it will be because a bunch of 2d sprites take up less disc space than a bunch of 3d rendered models with accompanying text that few people will actually read, leaving room for more awesomeness on the game disc.

Wayfarer

Smash Rookie
I'll reiterate: Stickers would be a welcome addition in my opinion. I wouldn't mind, just as long as doesn't become a full-blown replacement for trophies. That's what I'm slightly worried about.

But in any case, I'm sure Brawl will not disappoint.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Stickers > Trophies

Also, I did notice the buttons, but I didn't even think twice about it because I'm so used to seeing GC controller buttons...

Wayfarer

Smash Rookie
I think stickers will possibly replace trophies, and if that's the case, I think it will be because a bunch of 2d sprites take up less disc space than a bunch of 3d rendered models with accompanying text that few people will actually read, leaving room for more awesomeness on the game disc.
People who don't bother to read text are just plain lazy. :mad:

I appreciated reading about the detailed background info and such about each individual trophy.... it added depth to the collection element.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The stickers update didn't really thrill me, to be honest. At least it's be like awards you get for doing a specific task and can make comics out of them if you want. Even with this update, I think trophies are going to be in the game. It's just be harder to get them than stickers.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
lol i read dat **** when i get bored haha. but i still like trophies better but owell. whether trophies or stickers i still can't wait to see dis masterpiece (it better be)

NukeA6

Smash Master
omg this is gay, i don't wanna collect no **** stickers (even though imma have to). i like the trophies better.

lol why would i spend my time making a scrap book or comic when i could be whoopin people ***.
There's no whoopin people *** when looking at trophies.

Face it; collecting trophies got boring when all of the were found. At least you can do interesting things with stickers.

And don't worry; trophies are still there. They come to life as well. Did anyone miss the AT updates (like the one yesterday).

Wayfarer

Smash Rookie
CAN ANYONE PROVE THAT TROPHIES ARE STILL IN THE GAME?

I think not.

Keep speculating. No need to make false claims.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Personally, my inner child squeals with delight.

Also, it's not like trophies are actually gone. I think.
My theory is that there will be fewer trophies this time, with more info and the ability to summon collected trophies with the Assist Trophy item.

...and still nobody reacts to my theory. I guess it doesn't hold as much water as I thought if I'm the only one with that thought. Huh.
Hey, atleast I'm with you on this. Sounds very reasonable.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Trophies added a new collecting element to Melee which gave an incredible sense of ugency to "collect 'em all"

But STICKERS? Apparently Sakurai must've been so tired of Brawl's production that he went out, got wasted, and thought up this thoroughly mediocre idea. Who does he think plays smash? Two-year-olds?

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Weren't there Assist Trophy stickers? I think this doesn't confirm anyone, but at least it's nice to see BF in the Dojo, in one way or another...
Yeah, there are assist trophy stickers...

Hammer Bro. is on page four.

Goroh is on the top-right corner!

Also, whoever was asking about the number cubes, they're the dice from Mario Party!

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
AWESOME!
STICKERS!
Even more to collect than trophies!
I hope there's, like, 500 of them. So I can obsessively collect them for months on end, like I did with trophies.
Obviously, trophies will return, but they'll be harder to earn, and there will be less of them.
Things are not looking good for Balloon Fighter and Toad. Assist trophies?

cccck

Smash Journeyman
I think I understand.... trophies.... AT.... stickers are the old trophies. ATs are the new ones. Think about that

and you see the topic screen shot? could that mean that you can get stickers mid-brawl? mabey even in multilayer...

Croco

Smash Lord
A few things I want to point out that might be possible..
-It might be possible to save the screen shots on the SD Card in a JPEG format.
-I don't believe this will replace the trophies.. We will probably be able to collect trophies again but some of the trophies will be marked as assist trophies.
-Some stickers might be unlockable already if you have Wii game saves on your Wii.
-There will probably be over 1000 stickers.. It's not that hard for them to grab already made pictures from older games and turn them into stickers in Brawl. (Most of these stickers we have seen already in game manuals and on box covers etc.)

*Who is Who*

Left Page-
1.Elephant (Yoshi's Story)
2.Rawk Hawk (Paper Mario 2)
3.Monkey (DK?)
4.Mother Earth Symbol (Mother)
5.Star (Super Mario Brothers)
6.Spiky (Kirby)
7.Balloon Fighter
8.Sheriff/Cowboy (Wild Gunman) or it could be (Sheriff)

Right Page-
1.Dice (Mario Party 8)
2.Toad (Super Mario Brothers)
3.Red Gazelle [Driven by Clinton "Mighty" Gazelle] (F-Zero)
4.Hammer Bro (Super Mario Brothers)
5.Dog (Nintendogs)
6.Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy)

1.Hammer Bro (Super Mario Brothers)
2.Star (Super Mario Brothers)
3.Kirby (Kirby)
4.Monkey (DK?)
5.Lon Lon Milk (Zelda:OoT)
6.Elephant (Yoshi's Story)
7.Dog (Nintendogs)

1.S. Goroh (F-Zero)
2.Wario (Mario Strikers)
3.Monkey (DK?)
4.Spiky (Kirby)
5.DK (DK)
6.Pianta (Super Mario Sunshine)
7.Dice (Mario Party 8)

1.Ike (Fire Emblem)
2.Star (Super Mario Brothers)
3.Mother Earth Symbol (Mother)
4.Elephant (Yoshi's Story)
5.Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy)
6.Sheriff/Cowboy (Wild Gunman) or it could be (Sheriff)
7.Wario's Car (Wario Land 4/Mario Kart:DD)
8.Toad (Super Mario Brothers)

Pima

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone complains about trophies not making it?

I'll bet all my money that you didn't see them more than 3 times, possibly as soon as you got them and no more. Stickers are just the same thing, just in a 2-d fashion with which you may play and place them how you want and actually do something other than staring at them.

Hopefully they'll have the text from Melee, but if they don't.... will it really matter?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
For the idiots:

I’d like to introduce a new collection element to the game—stickers.
Stickers are easier to get a hold of than trophies. Just play the game and you’ll start to earn them as rewards.
How, by any of those words, can you assume that they replace trophies, when the updates on the Dojo have been known to be entirely random?

burrito

Smash Lord
I believe that stickers will not be replacing trophies. Look at all the references to trophy already in Brawl, plus Sakurai seems to imply that trophies will still be in brawl.

All the stickers are artwork taken directly from other games. Considering how easy they are to make, it probably didn't take very much time or effort to add this feature. So, there's no reason for trophies to not be included.

Top Bottom