• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Survival Mechanic In Smash 4 - "Vectoring"

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think its simply an extension of DI. It's just a new extension of how it works, not an entirely new technique.

Different? Yes. Does it need a new name? I don't really think so.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
...Am I the only one who has been "vectoring" (terrible name please spread it no further lol) since the first smash not knowing that it wasn't a real thing until now? lol. I always assumed that pulling in the opposite direction you are flying had at least minimal influence on negating some knock back lol.
MTE LOL

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
After playing the demo, I'm sure we all got a good test of how the mechanics work... Gotta say it feels great, a mix of brawl and melee, or just somewhere in the middle. So honestly... I'm fine with this mechanic. In fact I think Smash 4 deserves to be competitively played because its faster then brawl, and a LITTLE slower then melee... and if you got an issue with that... ok, just don't discredit the game itself for being slightly slower.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I hate when people calling Smash 4 Brawl 2.0, just because it's not melee it's not Brawl 2.0. How about try to learn something new instead of playing it safe like you did for the pass 10 years.
The "I like/hate it when SSB4/PM/Brawl/Melee/64 enthusiasts tell SSB4/PM/Brawl/Melee/64 enthusiasts x because y" argument. Original I might add. I'll be in the street butt naked for taking a drink every time someone uses that similar argument. Never change Smashboards...

Anyways, vectoring seems more about survivability in higher damage % than lower damage %. Will it break combos easier? Sadly yes and maybe similar to Brawl in that regard, but that's probably as far as it gets. If anything, this game is probably more focused on off-stage play anyways since the blast zones are pretty far and the edgehog isn't very ideal for the returning player. So this game is surely around the idea of gimping people off the stage.

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
This is perfectly fine, makes actual sense, and really won't change the game that much. Jiggs was either killed at 50% or almost immediately killed at 50%. A difference of 10-20% before you kill someone isn't that dramatic and I don't see this being that effective where it would go beyond the 10-20%.

Anyone who complains about this should just stick to Melee and not even pay attention to future Smash games. If you just want Melee with more characters, forget about it.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
you know, i was really excited about the game having combos. i can't complain if it doesn't? i get the feeling, sakurai will never give us anything even close to melee ever again. not even close to the original(64). it really makes me sad. but i'll still play sm4sh. i'm just...disappointed is all...
Combos do not make up the bulk of competitive play. Good reads and mindgames do ;)

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm going to try my best to enjoy this game. But if it turns out like Brawl did? Please. PMDT save us. My heart can't handle another game like Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, this change is a great change for me... this is precisely how I used to DI before I learned to properly DI. Old habits die hard, however. I still find myself vectoring upon occasion. So now that it actually works, I am cool with it.

Lmfao at the notion that people do not want vectoring to catch on without realizing that it already has.

Last edited:

LightningLoops

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrayUSA
3DS FC
1092-0083-1620
...Am I the only one who has been "vectoring" (terrible name please spread it no further lol) since the first smash not knowing that it wasn't a real thing until now? lol. I always assumed that pulling in the opposite direction you are flying had at least minimal influence on negating some knock back lol.
This. Always felt it was common sense to hold the opposite direction the player was flying.

Morbi

Scavenger
lol enjoy your melee nerds.
I have been enjoying Melee for a good decade, thank you very much for the concern. However, we are here to discuss vectoring in Smash 4. Believe it or not, this mechanic was not present in Melee. It only applies to Smash 4. That is the Smash that is going to launch October 3rd, 2014 on the 3DS system. I understand that these games can get confusing... what with the Gamecube controller releasing for the Wii U, but do not worry about that.

I hope that everyone enjoys Smash 4!

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
Wow... and I thought I was good at DI, haha. So, in Melee, when hit up, I should DI left or right, and when hit left or right, I should DI up. (survival DI)
correct. try to DI towards the Corner of the bast zones where the distance your sent is less likely to kill you. You can also DI downwards on some moves that send you horizontally and Tech on the ground.
Remember your distance traveled will always be the same but your goal is to make the end location be slightly further from the bast zone.

DI: Allows you to land somewhere on a small curve, Vectoring: Allows you to land somewhere within a box.

Last edited:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Having a strong neutral game in a fighter isn't exactly unprecedented, take SF2 and SF4 for example. Most matches spend a large amount of time in neutral, and just like how supposedly Smash4 is shaping up to be there are few true combos and the ones that do exist are two or three hits generally, that's it. The rest of it is a follow up game, tricking your opponent into reacting wrong so you can continue a string. And the best part? These games are not only less technical than their more aggressive kin in the same series (analogous to Melee in this respect), but they are viable competitively and are found to be fun to watch as well as play by many people. Smash4 having a strong neutral game (which can no longer be ledge stalled or planked) and more about guessing your follow up instead of having a garenteed hit shouldn't frighten so many people let alone be a harbinger of bad things to come.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Having a strong neutral game in a fighter isn't exactly unprecedented, take SF2 and SF4 for example. Most matches spend a large amount of time in neutral, and just like how supposedly Smash4 is shaping up to be there are few true combos and the ones that do exist are two or three hits generally, that's it. The rest of it is a follow up game, tricking your opponent into reacting wrong so you can continue a string. And the best part? These games are not only less technical than their more aggressive kin in the same series (analogous to Melee in this respect), but they are viable competitively and are found to be fun to watch as well as play by many people. Smash4 having a strong neutral game (which can no longer be ledge stalled or planked) and more about guessing your follow up instead of having a garenteed hit shouldn't frighten so many people let alone be a harbinger of bad things to come.
SF2 and SF4 still have combos despite having a neutral game to them. For smash 4, part of the follow up game has been comboing up until now. It's no wonder why it's been enjoyable to watch.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't know why people acting like the offstage game is great in smash 4 there is no risk to it. You live forever and you have buffed free recovery with ledge snapping. Gimping and offstage kills are the only choices you got to speed things up. I went offstage in other smash games even if it wasn't safe now it just feels like i'm not taking any risk anymore. Now combos are even more escapeable with vectoring. Alway wanted was combos and low landing lag for this game :(

Greenshortz

Smash Rookie
Just as much as some combos are killed from this mechanic i feel like there will be more that come from it. If you seem them VI (vector influence, thats what i'm calling it) a certain way just follow it. I don't see how this ruins everything combos are and always have been fluid in smash games. Also if i'm not mistaken good DI allowed you to get out of combos, how is this any different?

Greenshortz

Smash Rookie
Do not like. This mechanic stops combo potential and and allows you to survive longer, which wasn't needed with these far out blast zones. This is the new day of age, and I hope Sakurai is watching this carefully. Moves that should be killing aren't and lose of combos for a neutral game isn't exciting.

I REALLY do not want a Brawl 2.0
Just because a move would have killed in a different game doesnt mean it should in this one, these moves shouldn't be killing because they aren't made to. Imo this game is less about the combos and more about the off stage play, recoveries seem broken because you are supposed to be coming back after going out to prevent them from coming back.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Fanbase's reaction to DI which allows you to live longer and escape combos for the most part: Cool trick!

Fanbase's reaction to the retooled DI in 4 which has been christened "vectoring": OMG THIS IS STUPID EVEN THOUGH IT IS MORE INTUITIVE THAN DIRECTIONAL INFLUENCE WAS! I HATE YOU SAKURAI!!!!!

Hypocritical much?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Fanbase's reaction to DI which allows you to live longer and escape combos for the most part: Cool trick!

Fanbase's reaction to the retooled DI in 4 which has been christened "vectoring": OMG THIS IS STUPID EVEN THOUGH IT IS MORE INTUITIVE THAN DIRECTIONAL INFLUENCE WAS! I HATE YOU SAKURAI!!!!!

Hypocritical much?
Generally, it works better in a game where it's more risk/more reward kind of setting. If it doesn't have that, then for some lazy people, it'll take too long to actually kill someone and the game prolongs than it needs to.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Just because a move would have killed in a different game doesnt mean it should in this one, these moves shouldn't be killing because they aren't made to. Imo this game is less about the combos and more about the off stage play, recoveries seem broken because you are supposed to be coming back after going out to prevent them from coming back.
Watch this match. So many moves from DHD should have killed but don't. Even the commentators point it out. It's not iust the nerfed returning veterans that suffer from this.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726

Hypocritical much?
If you read your opponent, you can still combo with DI. With vectoring they get knocked back so far you can't continue your combo.

Greenshortz

Smash Rookie
Personally i think air dodges will
Watch this match. So many moves from DHD should have killed but don't. Even the commentators point it out. It's not iust the nerfed returning veterans that suffer from this.
i watched the first match and saw some of the moves that should of killed but i don't necessarily feel that they should have killed you kinda have to remember that the blast zones are bigger in this game and red lightning doesn't have to mean death i personally don't see the difference between vectoring (influence) and DI if you can di to save your life from marth tippers and fox up smashes in a game with much smaller blast zones (melee) i dont understand why you can't survive some of these moves in a game with much bigger blast zones, what i really want to see is the vector (influence) at low percentages and during combos to see how much they affect directories, but i need to watch that kind of stuff in a lab setting, its easier to see strong moves not killing

SomeSmashBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JayTheTrainerGuy
3DS FC
2234-7163-8539
WHAT! Now we can live longer through a new technique called "vectoring"?
VectorOY1.jpg

I know I'm late, but I coudn't help it...

On a serious note, I noticed that DI didnt feel the same when playing the demo, then I read this and was like "huh so thats what it is."
Also vectoring sounds cooler than DI.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Personally i think air dodges will

i watched the first match and saw some of the moves that should of killed but i don't necessarily feel that they should have killed you kinda have to remember that the blast zones are bigger in this game and red lightning doesn't have to mean death i personally don't see the difference between vectoring (influence) and DI if you can di to save your life from marth tippers and fox up smashes in a game with much smaller blast zones (melee) i dont understand why you can't survive some of these moves in a game with much bigger blast zones, what i really want to see is the vector (influence) at low percentages and during combos to see how much they affect directories, but i need to watch that kind of stuff in a lab setting, its easier to see strong moves not killing
It's because of vectoring. No vectoring would kill but when in use it doesn't, even with the intended kill moves.

Sakurai put in the red flash for a reason and if he saw that they aren't indicating what they are supposed to then something would be done. I don't think he did, though.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
all it is is nub DI mode. I don't much have a problem with it other than that it makes the game easier to survive.

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
Seems cool man definitely want to test it out. Mario might be the easiest person to test it out on due to his easier combos

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
they're weak, everybody is weak right now, smash 4 doesn't have a legit meta, nobody knows anything honestly, and everybody thats complaining about mechanics in smash don't know what's gonna happen in its meta, this is a brand new game with glitches, bugs, and exploits waiting for us to use.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
As it's been pointed out SEVERAL TIMES, its because you actually have to go offstage to get the kill now.

As in, get the **** out there, make sure that ***** is dead, then come back to stage.

Seriously, all the people complaining about how things dont kill, yet they arent willing to do what is needed for the kill is annoying.

Top Bottom