• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Survival Mechanic In Smash 4 - "Vectoring"

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
With talks intensifying with Super Smash Bros. 4's competitive viability, many people noticed that the typical Directional Influence that existed in past iterations of the Smash series was different this time around. Resident PMDT member Strong Bad did some research on this new form of DI, and discovered something that could potentially revolutionize the way Smash 4 is played. Strong Bad has named this new mechanic "Vectoring".

This image made by Krynxe generally describes how vectoring works. These are not exact values.
In previous games, when a player got hit and sent flying, they could hold down a direction on the control stick and slightly, but significantly influence the direction their character went towards. A player could not change the level of knockback, they could just influence the angle at which they were sent for a more favorable position. This is directional influence at its most basic level, click here if you want more details on DI.

According to Strong Bad, this mechanic no longer exists in Smash 4;

When you get hit, you receive knockback. This is a raw value calculated based on percent, weight, the knockback values of the move, and the damage/staling of the move, and then your character moves that many in-game units per frame. There's a constant in the game that subtracts from that speed, so you are going X units/frame on frame 1 and then (x-constant*frame#) units/frame on subsequent frames. Other factors take place such as a character's falling speed acceleration and such, but that's the general idea. Physics is fun!

In Smash 4, by holding a direction on the control stick (or circle pad in our case), you're able to add a vector of units/frame to your knockback when launched. A simple explanation of a vector in this context is a value of units/frame as well as a direction. I believe this vector's strength is a percentage of the knockback you're suffering, so it's less powerful at low percents/when hit by weak attacks and more powerful at higher percents/when hit by powerful attacks.

Essentially, if you're knocked 90 degrees upwards at a speed of 100 units/frame, and you're holding down on the circle pad, you're adding a downward vector of 10 units/frame to the upward knockback, resulting in an upwards vector of 90 units/frame. The 10 units/frame number was made up for the sake of the example, the exact value of that vector has yet to be determined, it could be a percentage or it could be a formula much more complex than a simple percentage.

Have you ever tried to explain DI to one of your friends? It's a daunting task. Vectoring is definitely a more intuitive concept of survival; if you are headed towards the right blast zone, hold left! If you're headed towards the top blast zone, hold down! This dramatically changes the way players survive in Smash 4. Prior to this game, one could not hold parallel directions to help influence their character's knockback.

Here's a video showing examples of how Vectoring works in Smash 4!

This significantly changes the metagame for Smash 4. One can escape down-throw followups at higher percentages by holding upwards. The way that Smash players understood DI appears to have changed in a major way for Smash 4. Strong Bad is a bit wary of this new mechanic. When asked his initial thoughts on Vectoring's impact on competitive play, he said;

Many of the combos that we've been seeing and were excited about are no longer true or even likely. It turns the game into a very neutral-heavy game, which isn't bad but isn't that fun/exciting. I understand that these are first impressions, and am willing to change my opinion based on new information that's yet to be attained, after metagame development.
Even though this is well-researched and seems legitimate, it's worth noting that this is still a theory until it's been proven wholly. How do you feel about this new mechanic? Does this impact how you feel about the future of competitive Smash 4? Thanks to Strong Bad for giving me his thoughts on Vectoring, follow Strong Bad on Twitter @Strong_Badam!

KhanYe left his 3DS in the US when he moved to Ireland for school. He's sad. Follow him on Twitter @rbdayman for a good time.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Warning Received
So, new tournament defining mechanic the Glory players need to learn?

Ho boy, watch the flame arguments begin.

I need some popcorn, the debates will be entertaining.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Everyone will still call it DI tho :y

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Remember what you learned about DI and holding perpendicular to the way you are hit... forget all of that.

Texas Toast

Smash Cadet
NNID
TexasToast-3
3DS FC
1461-6200-1949
Please don't keep vectoring as the official name

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
...Am I the only one who has been "vectoring" (terrible name please spread it no further lol) since the first smash not knowing that it wasn't a real thing until now? lol. I always assumed that pulling in the opposite direction you are flying had at least minimal influence on negating some knock back lol.

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I wouldn't mind smash 4 becoming brawl 2.0 as a result of this mechanic since I greatly enjoyed spectating high level brawl over the years, however, even if you did not like spectating brawl because of how neutral based it was, remember that smash 4 still has more hitstun, nerfed projectiles, and super nerfed ledge play, so it would not be as slow paced as brawl.

I am sure that new mechanics will be discovered to increase gameplay and/or movement speed, but for now, one mechanic that players should start exploiting is the rage mechanic. The more % you have until a certain point, the more knockback your moves will do, which will make killing slightly easier.

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
I know a lot of people are apprehensive about this, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Based on what I've seen and played, the game still allows 2-5 hit combos (especially at lower percents) that deal anywhere from 15% to 30%. It's possible that use and understanding of this technique will evolve to the point of eliminating even that, but for now, I still feel rewarded for a good read with a small combo and better positioning. That certainly wasn't the case with Brawl.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
OK then, much harder to learn than DI. So the same thing, only say, If I get up-smashed by Pikachu's tail, I hold UP in order to block it?

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I don't think this will affect competitive play too much, It will just make matches slower...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So it essentially makes it easier to DI in this game. While not necessarily bad, it does make players survive more easily, since now DI can't really be botched anymore.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
LOL, ok. wut much love new mechanic lol.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I actually like the name "vectoring"

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
Well at least DI/Vectoring actually makes sense this time around.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Strong Bad "discovered" the new form of DI even though the game specifically tells you about it in the hints, and has a name for it?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well great, now that vectoring is the name of all this, this only means I'm gonna tell people to Find The Computer Room because it makes me think of Vector.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Do not like. This mechanic stops combo potential and and allows you to survive longer, which wasn't needed with these far out blast zones. This is the new day of age, and I hope Sakurai is watching this carefully. Moves that should be killing aren't and lose of combos for a neutral game isn't exciting.

I REALLY do not want a Brawl 2.0

Last edited:

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
People here are being way too dramatic about this IMO.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Do not like. This mechanic stops combo potential and and allows you to survive longer, which wasn't needed with these far out blast zones. This is the new day of age, and I hope Sakurai is watching this carefully. Moves that should be killing aren't and lose of combos for a neutral game isn't exciting.

I REALLY do not want a Brawl 2.0
I'm sure Sakurai will watch and see what's up and patch IF NEEDED. We have those things now and Nintendo is slowly becoming more online friendly. Plus they have been communicating with the competitive community so it's not out of the realm of possibility .

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'm sure Sakurai will watch and see what's up and patch IF NEEDED. We have those things now and Nintendo is slowly becoming more online friendly. Plus they have been communicating with the competitive community so it's not out of the realm of possibility .
Perhaps they could submit their opinions at these smash clubs?

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
When you guys say the game already refers to this by another name, are you referring to "Hitstun Shuffling"? I had assumed that tip was referring to Smash DI.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
This mechanic is more effective at higher percents and feel negligible early.

Couple it with the rage mechanic that boosts knockback at higher %, I think we'll be just fine, guys.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Stuff like this tells me that this will definitely be my kind of Smash Bros cause I'm one of those risk taking players who will actively go off stage and force you off while you try to recover so this extended survival period doesn't mean much to me, I'll just have to work harder at forcing opponents off.

Thor

Smash Champion
So it essentially makes it easier to DI in this game. While not necessarily bad, it does make players survive more easily, since now DI can't really be botched anymore.
Trying to tap jump OoS (or a tap jump in general, or trying a SH uair or usmash or utilt) and getting hit by a Fox usmash will actually botch DI [distance influence] MORE than if you were just standing still without an input, because you are adding to the KB you take.

Similarly, if you are running toward a teammate as someone rather slow (say Ganondorf) and your opponent Lucina runs up behind you and fsmashes you, you just made the same mistake.

This is the only game where influencing your direction can actively hurt you for EVERY attack (if I'm not mistaken, Fox uair had no sort of DI where you would actually die earlier than no DI at all, but in this game, holding up while getting hit by a Fox uair will kill you faster than not holding any direction at all).

Last edited:

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
So this means matches will last forever not because of camping like Brawl, but because getting a kill is going to take a while and combos aren't a thing at high %?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Top Bottom