• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New! Sonic Gameplay Footage, Buffs/Nerfs, Etc.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
the main reason Dair wasn't used as a viable off stage edgeguarding move in brawl wasn't because the move itself wasn't bad but the fact that he sent sideways resulted in it helping opponents due to being able to DI up and have a greater distance to recover from. With it becoming a proper meteor smash now dair will be very potent i feel as an edgeguard tool as well as good for uair spring dair to tech chase setups. as sonic will fall with them as they get spiked and even if they tech the landing we should be safe on hit.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with you about DAir in Brawl xD
DAir was a great edgeguarding tool to gimp characters without superb recovery. But NOW, the meteor smash will encourage Sonic players to chase characters with good recovery off stage too.

On stage have to be tested too of course. UAir + Spring + DAir sounds great but I think that combo could meet some problems:
1) UAir hitstun not being enough to make DAir inescapeable.
2) DAir landing lag. Now the height to auto-cancel DAir is higher.
3) Percentage range to be able to do it. If you need high percentage to chase the opponent at a certain height for DAir to be able to auto-cancel, it will be better to UAir again to secure the kill.

This waiting, oh my God... I wish we could test all of that right now :c

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I can't tell if getting a chance at the demo was a good thing or the worst thing ever.

Like, I got a sip of it and it's all I want now. I just need to have it and live in the lab.

:093:

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you guys already saw this. But I'm going to share this video just in case. Jump to minute 19:28. Its a 1v1 between Toon Link and Sonic. One thing I noticed is that Screech Stop don't screech anymore :glare: ... Could be a good thing tho.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I know how you feel. After the best buy demo i literally just was tried to play any form of smash and was like "Nope. i can't do it" for a good 2-3 days. Was pretty Sad.

It's like someone showing you what your getting for Christmas but then telling you you can't open it til Christmas, i'll let you stare at it in this locked safe until then.

Edit: From that video Nair looked to have far less landing lag which makes me happy. It was hindered in brawl as a landing option due to the fact that it was so unsafe on block due to it's landing lag. As far as the screech stop sound being absent i'm sure that it will be in the final build as that keldeo glitch sure won't be. I also noticed that sonic's Upsmash has less cooldown as well. Definitely will be fun to finally be able to be properly rewarded for making reads and punishes with sonic. Only thing that made me upset was that barely any spin dashes were used (you'd think that because he got dillion as an assist that he would spin dash too :2 )

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't know if you guys already saw this. But I'm going to share this video just in case. Jump to minute 19:28. Its a 1v1 between Toon Link and Sonic. One thing I noticed is that Screech Stop don't screech anymore :glare: ... Could be a good thing tho.
By "don't screech" do you mean it doesn't make the sound? From what I've read on the boards and seen in the demo, I think a lot of the sounds are just placeholders. I recognize all of Sonic's from other games.
omg the hypno smash at 24:07 lmfao

gg
I know how you feel. After the best buy demo i literally just was tried to play any form of smash and was like "Nope. i can't do it" for a good 2-3 days. Was pretty Sad.

It's like someone showing you what your getting for Christmas but then telling you you can't open it til Christmas, i'll let you stare at it in this locked safe until then.
Considering it's slated for "Holiday 2014", you couldn't be any more accurate.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
By "don't screech" do you mean it doesn't make the sound? From what I've read on the boards and seen in the demo, I think a lot of the sounds are just placeholders. I recognize all of Sonic's from other games.
Yeah, I was talking about the sound. I like the new sounds they added for the demo even if they're placeholders (with the exception of the Side Taunt). Screech Stop without the screech sound felt out of place at first...

omg the hypno smash at 24:07 lmfao
Plus that glitched Keldeo was hilarious :chuckle:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm glad I saw this thread. Sonic really looks amazing and much faster. Hopefully his bair will have less landing lag in the final game... who didn't love using it as a spacing tool while landing with it?
Sonic needs to turn out well... I want to use him in serious matches, even if he's just high tier... for some matchups. I really want to use him, and do good with him. If he turns out good enough I might main him, since he's one my two favorite video game characters (Knuckles is the other one :p).

Hopefully the Spinshot stays in, they might not even know about it so it stays (if they would know about it it might get removed though lol). So useful. I'm sad to see ASDSC (spindash is the downB - I'm not sure what you guys call it, but I'm getting confused since it seems people use different terms :dizzy:) go, but I'm happy about all the improvements.
I really liked Sonics Brawl dsmash, spinning around and stuff, but oh well...

Thanks for all the info guys. I wish I'd have the chance to play the game, guess I'll just have to wait a little bit longer. :)

Oh and btw, it seems to me Sonic's saying "Sonic speed" for his side taunt, and not "Super Sonic", which would make sense. Still worse than "you're too slow" though... :(

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If Sonic had that move, I'm gonna guess it will work/like his side B in SSF2
Yeah, sorta like that, although I think it'd be cool if Sonic had some sort of a boost mechanic where he can charge it up to make his hitboxes bigger, move faster, etc.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sorta like that, although I think it'd be cool if Sonic had some sort of a boost mechanic where he can charge it up to make his hitboxes bigger, move faster, etc.
Well if they some how add in light speed attack maybe for a limited time the sonic moves even faster with rapid attacks making everything stronger and faster. But then it would feel over powered.

I just feel like there is a fair way to include light speed attack. Same with boosting.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Maybe for his customizable moves, the spin dashes can be altered to be more like boosts. That would be really cool.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool, but I'd doubt it since every character keeps the same animation when changing move set.

I have some ideas though.

UpB: Bomb spring. It simply explodes after a short while when used in air. On the ground it last longer. If anyone touches it, it will explode. So when its on the ground no one can bounce on it after sonic activate it. Its like planting a bomb.

1. DownB: when charging he gets all fired up and he burst into flames upon release and haves more power to it but doesn't last as long. And also have super armor.

2. DownB : Much faster but weaker and the affect is bringing in wind going at your direction. Say if they ground dodging, they will still get pushed.

SideB: maybe after that short hop, if he lands on a opponent, the opponent will be grounded and then swing around to come hit them to setup a combo.

That's all I have for now. But its just ideas.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, when I first heard about customizable moves, I was really excited. But when I saw they are basically just simple variations of only their special moves, my excitement dropped a lot. I am not really looking forward to them that much anymore. Having completely new options to replace all the characters' moves with would of been way too much work. They could of least have completely new special moves. Still looking forward to the game though :)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have some custom move suggestions.

Up+B(a): Yellow Spring: Not as high as the red spring, but instead of crashing on the opponent, it springs him/her/it into the direction its facing.
Up+B(b): Bumper: You can execute up to 3 of these. The bumper will stay airborne for a limited time. Everyone in contact with it will bounce off it the distance of an average double jump.

-

Side+B(a): Lightspeed Dash: Only once fully charged (3 seconds), Sonic will boost forward really fast. Has pretty good vertical knockback.
Side+B(b): Spin+Sommersault+Slide kick: Similar to Project M's.

-

B (a): Insta Shield: No homing, it's just a regular spin attack with super armor.
B (b): Bounce: Fast drop attack that spikes, bouncing off opponent.

-

Down+B(a): Flame Shield: An instant Fiery spin attack
Down+B(b): Boost spin: An instant boost attack in spinning form. Really fast, really strong. But roll off the edge and your chances of returning are slim.

Last edited:

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman

It seems others can use sonic's spring when used in the air

Skip to 2:32 you'll see Mario getting bounced too. Just a small detail I noticed.

I'd guess they can only use it as soon as its activated

And my bad if this has already been brought up.

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman

Skip to 2:32 you'll see Mario getting bounced too. Just a small detail I noticed.

Oh and I see that you joined today, welcome to Smash Boards :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

That's really interesting actually. Most likely it's only on activation and now works much like G&W's UpB in Brawl.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
I had no idea G&W's upB does that too. That's pretty cool.

Oh and I see that you joined today, welcome to Smash Boards :)
Yup, I like it so far. topics that we can specifically talk about sonic stuff I'm smash 4 is great! But I'll for sure visit other topics too.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Was anyone able to confirm if Nair is a viable KO move? Would be great to add it to the list of KO potential attacks Sonic has in this current build of Smash 4.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Was anyone able to confirm if Nair is a viable KO move? Would be great to add it to the list of KO potential attacks Sonic has in this current build of Smash 4.
Can't confirm now, haven't seen any footage of it. People barely used that move so its hard to tell.

Booster

Smash Lord

Those guys were really bad at Smash bros

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Well I can't say the same for when I played as mega man at smash fest because new character and new controller, but when I played as sonic I only died once and that was when it was 15 seconds left.

So yea, they didn't play well.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Well I can't say the same for when I played as mega man at smash fest because new character and new controller, but when I played as sonic I only died once and that was when it was 15 seconds left.

So yea, they didn't play well.
Those guys played with the Gamecube Controller though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I feel that Sonic's new Dsmash will mean that he has at least ONE smash attack that comes out fast, and is a potential KO move.

Brawl's Dsmash was good, with pretty good kill power, but was kinda slow to come out to both sides. This one obviously covers both sides at the same time.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Sonic's new Dsmash will mean that he has at least ONE smash attack that comes out fast, and is a potential KO move.

Brawl's Dsmash was good, with pretty good kill power, but was kinda slow to come out to both sides. This one obviously covers both sides at the same time.
At least it covers both sides but not that far though.
I normally don't use it for kills but it was still pretty decent.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Brawl's Dsmash was good, with pretty good kill power
Ok I'm gonna need to stop you right there. D-smash was a niche anti air option at best and on average was mediocre KB with a ton of recovery frames. Brawl D-smash was about 1 step from being garbage. I haven't even seen it connect yet, but seeing that Sm4sh Sonic's dsmash is reminiscent of Falco's that's a buff in hitbox, utility and frame data alone.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'm more than a little disappointed that his D-Smash and Fair aren't more like the Sonic Battle-inspired moves from Project M. Having Fox's D-Smash makes no sense to me.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic doing the splits makes no sense?
What world am I living in right now? :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think the splits make enough sense for Sonic, but I would've preferred the Sonic Battle style breakdance fighting since Fox and Falco both have basically the same animation.

The splits still look cooler than the previous Dsmash though.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Since we are talking about moves we would of preferred. I would want his forward throw to be altered a bit. Instead of him just kicking you once, imagine he kicks you like a hundred times in 2 seconds. It would basically work the same but have a new animation and be multi-hit. Plus it would look so cool.

EDIT: Also will any Sonic main's here be getting the Japanese version of the game?

Last edited:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Nah. But only because I'd want the Gamecube controller adapter too and I don't know much about the regionlocking on Wii u. I do hope we get Japanese voice settings again though. Kakkate koi!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The release dates are not nearly far enough apart for me to go through that hassle and throw out all that money when I already own both a 3DS and Wii U.

And what Terry said.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Maybe people aren't connecting with it correctly.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
That was my thought. I've seen it connect during startup though. Guess it's a hitbox thing, not an active frames thing like Brawl.

Anyone know if Spring Jump can still be grab gimped?

Last edited:
Top Bottom