• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I think the last time I posted here may have been some time in 2008, but it's good to be back. So many good memories.

Anyway, as it's been already stated, it doesn't use Gamecube controls, so it's time to get used to the classic.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
I'm just gonna ask, why the hell would you want this? You actually want characters you can't play as? And all stages in smash are based off of games, not random places in the world.
This.

The only reason I can see DLC as a good thing is in the case of unfinished characters. Such as the perceived case with Mewtwo in brawl. Ideally the whole roster, and all stages should be available to players out of the box.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This. The only reason I can see DLC as a good thing is in the case of unfinished characters. Such as the perceived case with Mewtwo in brawl. Ideally the whole roster, and all stages should be available to players out of the box.
Or what they did with Marvel vs Capcom 3 were they had the DLC revealed far before the game came out...Purposely not adding them so people would have to pay extra

D

Deleted member

Correction in one of my posts, I recognize that there are no more Friend Codes around for Wii-U. Everyone should rejoice, that's one improvement right there.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a good idea for the team to wait until mid-early/mid-life for the Wii-U to release the game? It gives them plenty of time to develop the game and that by the time it's released, the vast majority of us who wants it will have the game.
This.

The only reason I can see DLC as a good thing is in the case of unfinished characters. Such as the perceived case with Mewtwo in brawl. Ideally the whole roster, and all stages should be available to players out of the box.
I think it can be good beyond unfinished characters. I can also see it working out in the case of unfinished stages and among other things. Plus what if they run out of a development time and they couldn't put in a highly requested character that they could get in? As long as that can be done, that character should be in.

I think of DLC more as a way to expand the game and not just to put in characters they could not finish in time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
DLC shouldn't be necessary to extend the life of a game. Just saying.

There seems to be a great deal of hate for the new controller. I, however, am really interested to see what they will do with it. It has a lot of potential, its up to them to utilize it.
I don't hate the controller. It actually looks cool and it's interesting.

It's just that the CC (Classic controller) would be better to use than the Wii U controller

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Personally I don't care or want DLC for the most part, since its usually not actually implemented in a way that isn't just trying to squeeze out extra money. I mean, in concept its a good idea, but it rarely works that way in practice. Still, I guess we don't know exactly how Nintendo would do it, if there was an actual charge on content.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
There seems to be a great deal of hate for the new controller. I, however, am really interested to see what they will do with it. It has a lot of potential, its up to them to utilize it.
+1 billion.

I'm sorry, but people need to quit gripping. Nintendo doesn't make bad controllers. This one will be Just as comfortable. I'm really happy with it.

I just can't imagine playing as Zelda in HD. I'm shaking.

+1 billion.

I'm sorry, but people need to quit gripping. Nintendo doesn't make bad controllers. This one will be Just as comfortable. I'm really happy with it.

I just can't imagine playing as Zelda in HD. I'm shaking.
I'm also happy with the controller. Some haters and fanboys deny how much of a success this Wii U will be.

Thoughts on TLoZ:SS:
Zelda will be epic. People are hating Link and Zelda's appearances in it. With Link looking like Justin Bieber with Angelina Jolie lips and Zelda being overshadowed by the supermodel type of Zelda in TP. A lot of people find this Zelda adorable.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
Plus what if they run out of a development time and they couldn't put in a highly requested character that they could get in? As long as that can be done, that character should be in.
That's kind of what I meant, Running out of development time on a character, and 'unfinished character' sound the same to me.

Basically, like Pieman0920 said, I'm weary of it being used to make people pay extra for what should already of been in the game to start with. That and I like knowing that my opponent has the same list of fighters available to them, referring to online play.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, in regards to the whole rpg element sakurai hinted at, what do we think would be reasonable things to upgrade?

More weight? Faster dash? More damage on fire moves? Etc?

:phone:

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
No one's mentioned Bomberman. Anyone think he's a feasible addition? He's got several titles with Nintendo... and he's got bombs.

(and I hope Mario doesn't sound like he has laryngitis like he did in brawl.)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Paid DLC is inevitable. It's simply a part of the industry now, and I'm sure Brawl would have had tons of it if the Wii allowed it. With Wii U, we will almost certainly have DLC characters, DLC stages, DLC costumes and possibly DLC music.

If there's one game in the world that could have a near infinite amount of DLC, it's Smash Bros.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
^ Nice

No one's mentioned Bomberman. Anyone think he's a feasible addition? He's got several titles with Nintendo... and he's got bombs.
I believe he's a Konami character now, like Snake. Might be interesting to play as but would end up with two characters from the same third party.

Paid DLC is inevitable. It's simply a part of the industry now, and I'm sure Brawl would have had tons of it if the Wii allowed it. With Wii U, we will almost certainly have DLC characters, DLC stages, DLC costumes and possibly DLC music.

If there's one game in the world that could have a near infinite amount of DLC, it's Smash Bros.
My worst fears realized...

So, in regards to the whole rpg element sakurai hinted at, what do we think would be reasonable things to upgrade?

More weight? Faster dash? More damage on fire moves? Etc?

I think the RPG part is only for the level of your profile/character or something. If it has something to do with the stats of the character then I guess you could upgrade some moves. About the customize character, I'm fine with it to be honest. They didn't say "Create your own character" at least :)

I'm not so into the whole RPG thing. It just doesn't fit smash imo

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to be the first to say, Sukapon for Smash 4.

Also Lucas from Mother 3 for Smash 4...I remember that hardly anyone believed he'd be in Brawl. I'm betting he's getting in this one

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
@jackpot: no turbo controllers in tourney :(
Turn it off and someone keep watch of it? Turbo doesn't really help in smash anyways unless you got two buttons to alternate frames and made it look like you were multi-shining really fast.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
While I agree that the loss of the Gamecube controller could be a major issue, we also have to remember that they want to change the engine. How far they will go in this regards remain to be seen, but assuming changes are big enough, the loss of the GC controller may be irrelevant if the game plays more differently than what we're used to... just a thought.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
While I agree that the loss of the Gamecube controller could be a major issue, we also have to remember that they want to change the engine. How far they will go in this regards remain to be seen, but assuming changes are big enough, the loss of the GC controller may be irrelevant if the game plays more differently than what we're used to... just a thought.
Dear Lord. I would certainly hope that they wouldn't change it SO much that the GC controller wouldn't be missed. It would hardly be the same game. I would bet that they'll release a gamecube classic controller, or maybe a usb gamecube controller. I would certainly buy it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

1. The Wii did allow DLC. Look at the Rockband/GH titles. Wasn't much, but it was there.
2. Why would a game series that has never had any, not to mention a company who's console, most people even forget could do DLC...why would it suddenly be flooded with it?

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
*has flashbacks to SWF during the pre-Brawl speculation era*.......

I'm gonna hide in my bunker now. . .

Joking aside, I'm deathly afraid they'll want to do something along the lines of "Yeah you can get either version but you only get the -MOST- out of it when you buy both the 3DS and WiiU versions and hook them up!" I remember Castlevania Judgement did that with Shanoa (although I think there were ways to unlock her normally...) and I fear it'll happen here. That or the roster will be different on both to make you pick up both versions. I for one wish they'd just go ahead and make one single version instead of spreading themselves thin over two versions but that's just me.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm gonna go ahead and say this next SSB Cannot be played in a tournament fashion. Which is ok because the last one was barely able to handle it.... However I get the feeling they will go really overboard with something stupid. Like first person smash bros or something. Perhaps making SSB use a 360 degree fighting system like tekken or something with smash physics....

Basically I'm looking at this as a half empty glass and i'm not gonna wait till a year after it's out to say it.....

~Good day :)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
CrimsonBlur said:
They are making a smash game which will be played on a tablet, with wiimotes and nunchucks (possibly classic controller) for multiplayer. It will have 3DS connectivity too, so it is possible that the 3DS can be used as a controller.
possibly so, let's just hope Sora knows how to implement these controls good enough to be playable on a tablet easily enough.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
When they talk about using a new engine I don't believe they were talking about completely changing the gameplay. SSB for the N64 used a different engine then Melee and Brawl but still had the core game elements to it. I'm sure SSBU will be similar in gameplay but with new features.

I'm thinking of rotating stages where you're battling on a sphere with platforms and you have stay on while it rotates. Or on a platform that rotates horizontally as you're fighting. I thought the Lylat cruiser was suppose to do this in Brawl but they just ment the background.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
Hopefully Smashchu is dead wrong and Sakurai will make SSBWiiU more competitive oriented. My question is: How far along is smash? A lot of rumors have been eerily right when it comes to Nintendo lately, and the SSBStrife "leaked photo" looked more or less serious in comnparison to Brawl. I really do wonder SSBStrifes credibility.
Confirmed fake. Also anytime someone shows a screencap of a title screen its 99% fake, why would you get a picture of the title screen and NOTHING else?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
As much as I want to add Mewtwo, I also want to represent the 5th generation of Pokemon, while not overloading the Pokemon roster. I would replace Jigglypuff with Mewtwo if it weren't for the fact that Jigglypuff is one of the original 12 veterans.

Well Mewtwo could be in the roster while still maintaining current 5th gen pokemon, just like Pokemon Trainer for example, clear they were represent 3rd gen pokemon and yet Charizard,Ivysaur, and Squirtle who are all 1st gen made the cut, surprisingly they weren't current gen pokemon.

The point is Sora or Sakurai could easily bring back any gen pokemon while still keeping the franchise roster low.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
Back to the One Controller per System drama

"Q: Will players use two touchscreen controllers or will they use just one new controller and the original Wii controls with the new console?

Miyamoto: Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that.

That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friends house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible."

Source: news.com.au

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And so... it begins again. It weirds me out that I'm starting graduate school in about two months and Brawl was offically announced about a week before my high school graduation. My does time fly...

Anyways, I like Sakurai's additude about the new Smash games. He seems gung ho about getting started which is a world of difference from how he was when Brawl started development when he seemed reluctant to even be working with Nintendo. In the end, I think this will result in a better product than Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom