• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
The loss of GCN Controllers is fine, it's just wireless interference at big tourneys that I'm worried about. Unless the USB ports can be used like Xbox's for wired controllers, tourneys may have to become very strict about friendlies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Gamecube controllers should be ruled out completely yet because the WiiU should be powerful enough to handle downloading GCN games so I'm sure they'll develop some kind of substitute.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Super Smash Bros. Fan: I noticed that you checked out my roster. Just a couple things to say...

Leon is known for chasing Falco, which does make him Falco's rival. And unlike Waluigi (who is deliberately a spin-off character), Leon has appeared in mainstream titles. I'm pretty sure that he'd operate differently from the other Star Fox characters.

For the Pokemon roster, I would replace Jigglypuff with Mewtwo if it weren't for the fact that Jigglypuff is a member of the original 12.

F-Zero, not too much to say there. The three characters that I've mentioned are basically the only best picks.

Starfy, maybe I should've separated him from the Nintendo Classics category, since that category is more for characters from the Game & Watch, NES, and Famicom consoles. A minor mistake that can be fixed up easily.

Bubbles and Eggplant Man are relatively fillers, but they do represent the classic Clu Clu Land and Wrecking Crew titles, both of which were developed by Nintendo. If R.O.B. could be made into a fighter, what would stop those two from joining the fray.

People have complained about me not including Takamaru, so something has been telling me that he's quite popular in Japan. I wouldn't know though, since he's a Japan-only character.

3rd parties, that has been tricky. I'd like to see Square Enix be involved, since the company did make some interesting Nintendo titles, such as the most recent Mario Sports Mix. Add the fact that the company also released popular Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest titles onto the DS. Anyway, Smash Bros. is primarily about the Nintendo titles, so it's pretty obvious that the 3rd party list would be limited to less than 5 characters.

To finish up, I was only trying to make a sensible roster, while not overflowing the playable character amounts with spin-off exclusive characters (Waluigi comes to mind). Without the 3rd parties, the roster adds up to 46 characters when transformations are excluded; 51 when transformations are included.

Basically, the roster probably won't be larger than 55 characters.

tri climber

Smash Rookie
ssb 4 intial suggestions from a lover of all three

My thoughts on the next game:
-4 wiimotes one wii-pad playability
-longer single player story (which switches up the gameplay)
-star fox arwing level, rpg level, pokemon battle level( think of using fox in a rpg), fzero level racing, typical mario side scrolling, metroid fps level. just to name a few ideas. . .
-more characters like (ten new ones, maybe)
-neku from the world ends with you,
-another final fantasty character (maybe chocobo)
-shadow, tails (more tails though)knuckles, dr robotnik should be in the story but not as a character
-baby mario brothers. . .
-more pokemon: scizor maybe idk
-more stuff to collect...more trophies to unlock.
-customizable characters (sakurai already said on ur 3ds he plans to be able to)
-customizable moveset, appearances(although i worry it will be harder to balance this way)
-level only played on the wiipad. ..couch the world ends with you couch touch screen couch cough
-bring back all the oldies (especially the ICE CLIMBERS)
-multiplayer original options: rpg battles, team work, competition, (of course regular fights)
-ability to download music to my ipod as i unlock it in the game. . .or upload my music as the background for customizable stages. . .
-just some initial ideas
-oh faster than brawl slower than melee. . .

-

Here are my suggestions for SSB 4...
- 4 u - pads, 4 wiimotes+ nunchuks or CC
- More focus on multiplayer
- Better online
- If there is an adventure mode, less beat 'em up, more variety
- Customize characters BUT no create your own fighter

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I lowered my expectations significantly too, but there is hope for the next game to be at least BALANCED character wise since Sakurai said he isn't going to be in charge of that.

Please let this lead to better character balance.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
There is no hope for the franchise with Sakurai in charge.

I am not hyped at all.
have you been reading any of the SmDh news?

Sora is going to develop it this time around with Sakurai out of the picture as far as development goes.

:phone:

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Also more shield-stun, no ASL, Melee style DI, and balance the frame advantages of grab releases and grab breaks.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The loss of GCN Controllers is fine, it's just wireless interference at big tourneys that I'm worried about. Unless the USB ports can be used like Xbox's for wired controllers, tourneys may have to become very strict about friendlies.
Yes, but the official specs state that they are subject to change.

Revven

FrankerZ
more hitstun
Smash doesn't need more hitstun, it's the hitstun canceling mechanics that need to be gotten rid of. Otherwise, Brawl has the exact same hitstun as Melee does, but the air dodge and aerial canceling mechanics for hitstun is what ruins it. So really you should be saying:

"Get rid of the hitstun canceling mechanics."

And, I don't really feel any different about Sora actually balancing the cast together without Sakurai doing it by himself. They could still have a collective mind set about how they want the game to be, which tends to lean towards anti-competitive. As long as Sakurai is director, there isn't any reason for me at all to be excited. Maybe for the 3DS version (different experience) but not the console version.

We'll see though, maybe they'll prove me wrong. But, that is only giving them a slight benefit of the doubt.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^^

hopefully, Sora implements more features that Melee had, less hitstun mechanisms and MORE balanced characters, MetaKnight nerfing, no tripping and maybe bring back L-cancelling.

Even at the cost of extra characters, I would certainly take mechanism focus anyday.

:phone:

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Thanks for the citation TKONTK.

Almost lost the link.

As I said in another thread, The Wii-U controller is likely a prototype.
Remember this?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The game would have to be adjusted so that it's friendly with the Classic Controller AND the Wii U controller. My thoughts...

Key: CC / Wii U

a / A: Jump
b / B: Attack
y / Y: Special
x / X: Shield
Control Pad <> / Control Pad <>: Move (tap twice to dash)
Control Pad /\ / Control Pad /\: Tap twice to jump (can be disabled)
Control Pad \/ / Control Pad \/: Crouch
Left Control Stick <> / Left Circle Pad <>: Move (tap to dash)
Left Control Stick /\ / Left Circle Pad /\: Tap to jump (can be disabled)
Left Control Stick \/ / Left Circle Pad \/: Crouch
Right Control Stick <> / Right Circle Pad <>: Smash Attack
L / L: Shield
R / R: Grab
ZL / ZL: Taunt
ZR / ZR: Final Smash
+ / +: Pause
- / -: While the game is paused, press to quit.
Home / Home: Home Menu

Three taunts would still be utilized...

/\ taunt: ZL
<> taunt: Control Pad <> + ZL
\/ taunt: Control Pad \/ + ZL

The Wii U controller's touch screen won't be utilized.

LLDL

Smash Hero
You guys don't have to worry too much about the controller. Since there will only be one Wii U controller per console, this will be not be the main means of playing multi player. I have a suspicion that they will release a new classic controller that is in the shape of a gamecube controller.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brawl's cut-off date for character and stage representation was October 2005 (2006 if it was in development) which was the last full year of the Gamecube and the first full year of the DS. With this new game, I imagine that 2012 is the cut-off date so anything not in development right now or already released probably won't be represented in a major way. So with this game primarily focusing on the games released on the Wii and DS, these are the major games that have been released for a lot of franchises since 2005:

Mario:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Paper Mario
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Mario 3D (in development)
Paper Mario 3D (in development)
Mario Kart 3D (in development)
Mario WiiU? (might be in development)

Donkey Kong:

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Legend of Zelda:

Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword (in development)
Zelda WiiU? (might be in development)

Pokemon:

Pokemon Black/White
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games
Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Star Fox:

Star Fox 3DS (in development)

F-Zero:

Nothing (franchise is unoffically dead with last game in 2004)

Mother:

Nothing (Itoi currently expresses no interest in continuing the franchise)

Metroid:

Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid: Other M

Kirby:

Superstar Ultra
Epic Yarn
Mass Attack (in development)
Kirby Wii (in development)

Fire Emblem:

Radiant Dawn
Shadow Dragon
Heros of Light and Shadow (Japan only)

Kid Icarus:

Uprising (in development)

Wario:

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Wario Ware: DIY
Wario Land: Shake It
Wario Ware WiiU? (Oh come on... it's a given)

Worthy mentions:

Punch-Out Wii
Pikmin 3 (in development)
Golden Sun DS
Animal Crossing 3D (in development)
Wii Sports/Play/Sports Resort
Captain Rainbow? (Sakurai trolls humanity until the sun explodes, Japan only)
Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan 1 and 2
The Legendary Starfy

Any other games that should be added to this list?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
A random though came across my mind and I thought maybe pressing Special + Attack(A+b) simultaneously should output a new special move.

I mean, some PSAs do this like Gray Fox and Athena, and it would help in increasing characters' movepools.

We could have it work wildly differently for the characters.

Some examples:

Mario - SMG spin jump
Dk - Coconut Gun
Link - Ball & Chain
Samus - Wave Beam/Plasma beam
Yoshi - Watermelon eat(Disables neutral B and grabs until depleted)
Kirby - Wheel Kirby ability
Fox - Barrel Roll?
Pikachu - Iron tail
Luigi - Poltergust(almost in inverse Fludd that grab characters and blast them away
Falcon - Falcon (insert motion here)
Ness - PK Rockin
Jiggs - Body Slam/Take Down/Double-Edge
Peach - Psych Bomb
Mewtwo - Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psycho Boost
Bowser - Hammer Throw
Falco - Some Air combat based move called Payback
Lucas - PK Love
Pit - something from Uprising
Lucario - Close Combat
Snake - CQC

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
More like if you have a lot of people in a single venue all using wireless controllers running on a limited band of wireless channels, it will always be a problem.
the madcatz TE stick for xbox uses a USB port slot and is supported by the game and the xbox console. If you get a 3rd party developer to make a hard wired controller with USB support for the system and support for Smash this will solve this wireless problem.

Theres 4 USB ports. However with external hard drives and flash drives possibly being supported..im not sure how this will go. Depends on if this machines hard drive will run similar to other consoles. IE; being able to install the game to the consoles hard drive or an external drive.

However this 'box' console is still a prototype so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Paid DLC is inevitable. It's simply a part of the industry now, and I'm sure Brawl would have had tons of it if the Wii allowed it. With Wii U, we will almost certainly have DLC characters, DLC stages, DLC costumes and possibly DLC music.

If there's one game in the world that could have a near infinite amount of DLC, it's Smash Bros.
this is a sad but true fact and it works for the developer very well

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'd actualy be as bold to say that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl weren't really implemented in their pottential full capacity during Brawl's development. The only pokeball Pokemon who were added from Gen 4 were those Pokemon who were already revealed to be in the game prior to the game coming out. The only Gen 4 Pokemon who's role was bigger than a trophy, and also wasn't a Pokemon revealed pre-release, was Cresselia, which was in a place that didn't even make sense. (Should have been Giratina there)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
the other thing to consider is whether or not the next gen system has to be pay to play which may or may not help the lag.

The other concern i have is the online system needs a major face lift from brawls. Way to many issues for its wifi service.

On top of that next gen NEEDS TO GET AWAY FROM FRIEND CODES. For the love of god set up a service that lets use make user names through the system. They need to make their system be much more internet savy, very open ended software wise so we can get better voice chat, maybe video chat with wii u, and some way to message people through consoles. Wii did a horrible job isolating players from each other. We're moving away from individuality and heading toward a much more open social world. IE: FACE BOOK for one.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hopefully Smashchu is dead wrong and Sakurai will make SSBWiiU more competitive oriented. My question is: How far along is smash? A lot of rumors have been eerily right when it comes to Nintendo lately, and the SSBStrife "leaked photo" looked more or less serious in comnparison to Brawl. I really do wonder SSBStrifes credibility.
Just to elaborate on something real quick, the reason I think the community will die is because they have problems moving to a new game. Starcraft players are having to adapt to Starcraft 2 which the max APM is like 300. Now, all those people with 500 APM are no where near as good now. Even Street Fighter players have to move on with 3 and 4. Halo players will have to move to 4.

Just something to keep in mind as this all moves forward.

Smashchu I don't want to respond to you since we'd be going really off-topic. If you want to continue our conversation, send me a PM.

I disagree with you pretty strongly so I know it would derail the topic.
That's fine. I already sent it.

Thino

Smash Master
On top of that next gen NEEDS TO GET AWAY FROM FRIEND CODES. For the love of god set up a service that lets use make user names through the system. They need to make their system be much more internet savy, very open ended software wise so we can get better voice chat, maybe video chat with wii u, and some way to message people through consoles. Wii did a horrible job isolating players from each other. We're moving away from individuality and heading toward a much more open social world. IE: FACE BOOK for one.
there have been rumors that there will not be FCs , lets hope it comes true

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I lowered my expectations significantly too, but there is hope for the next game to be at least BALANCED character wise since Sakurai said he isn't going to be in charge of that.

Please let this lead to better character balance.
It probably will given what Sakurai said back in 2007 when describing the kind of people he chose for Brawl's development. He said that they were people that had played Melee so much during their breaks that the buttons on their controllers were worn down like "pencil erasers." With Sakurai no longer being in charge of the characters, they will now be in the hands of these guys.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/farewell-friend-codes-wii-u-to-have-single-gamertag-and-friend/

I think it's safe to say it's true, which is awesome. 3DS already made things much better by tagging the FCs to the system itself rather than the games, but I'm sure everyone prefers this haha.
i really hope thats all good and true, but i still need to be convinced they've fixed all the horrible online issues they have not just with brawl, but the live chat as well

^^^^^yea i also fear for SSB4's character balance

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I don't.
Iwata asks about smash bros:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/09/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

This mainly caught my eye:
Regarding planners, Sakurai noted that he's headed up all areas of game balance and character strength settings for past Smash Bros. This time, he's hoping to leave this area to the staff.

awesome.
Anyway, I don't understand people constantly *female dog*ing about Sakurai. That man gave us Smash Bros., after all. Melee too.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Sakurai also wrote a very 'heart felt post' on why he would never make a melee game again.

Again I'm worried about what he'll do THIS time. Since you failed to mention tripping as one of the biggest annoyances to come out of brawl. If he can put in tripping, whose to say he'll put in something that'll randomly make you burst into flames?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
i really hope thats all good and true, but i still need to be convinced they've fixed all the horrible online issues they have not just with brawl, but the live chat as well

It's been partially confirmed Wii U will have a perfect online experience, it will have an account based system.

What do you think about character like Magnus from Kid Icarus and Ghirahim.... do they have a chance to be in... would you love to see them in....share your thoughts :).

Magnus :

Ghirahim:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've noticed though that Sakurai doesn't seem to realize the factors in him not wanting to do another Melee.

1. The man had terrible working hours.
2. The development time was roughly a year.
3. If Brawl is any indication, he chose to do most of the designing and what not all on his own.

Those three factors alone would probably keep most people away from game design period. Instead, he's worrying about highly exaggerated accessibility issues.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Anyway, I don't understand people constantly *female dog*ing about Sakurai. That man gave us Smash Bros., after all. Melee too.
The man himself has become a meme because of how Brawl turned out competitively. Well, that and tripping lol.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Oh yay, speculation time! I guess I'll come back for this.

^I agree with this guy. I've always loved Melee and Brawl around equally, and I've never quite understood Melee fanboyism outside the competitive community. Outside of Meta Knight and Ganondorf, Brawl isn't too terribly imbalanced. Also, I'm not sure what all the excessive complaining about how SSB4 is going to ruin competitive smash bros is about. Keep in mind Sakurai made Melee too, and it sounds like this time around he's going to take balance more seriously. I just can't wait until we get some more info.

And the Wii U, despite the cringe-worthy name, sounds like it will have superior online and graphics when compared to the Wii. That alone excites me due to the possibility of smooth online and DLC. I really don't care about the controllers either, as I'm pretty sure someone will figure out a way to mod a GC controller to work with the Wii U in the first month after its release. And if not, I'm not beyond shelling out a few extra bucks for a classic controller to play Smash Bros. with.

EDIT: Also, I only view tripping as a minor nuisance. It doesn't affect me enough to make a huge deal out of it. I would like to see it gone in SSB4 though.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
The Classic Controller Pro doesn't look bad at all to play Smash with, so I don't mind dropping some money on a couple of those. You never know, though, Nintendo might even make more "traditional" controllers specifically for the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom