• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS "New" Nintendo 3DS w/ C-Stick Confirmed (for JAPAN & EUROPE) Nintendo snatching your faves weaves

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'm not at all a fan of the button placement.

The Z buttons? I hate that placement. It's so much more natural to have them one over the other. Not one way on the side.
The little analog nub thing... why is it UP? Why not below the face buttons?

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
You might want to look up more info on localization and then production of said localized products. It takes time and resources. Remember the consoles themselves are region locked and have to be compatible with that regions' game library for the system (AKA more coding and programming). The system has to comply and be examined by the regions authority on consumer electronics. The products have to be manufactured separately and have different adapters also manufactured because countries have different electrical outlets. On top of that the menus and any on-system content like the manuals need to be translated and localized into many languages. This localization happens after the Japanese product is nearly finished so they have a base to work with and it is common for consoles to be released at separate times in different regions because of all the localization. The only difference is this is an upgraded version and not a highly anticipated brand new console so it isn't at the forefront of their lists.
But your forgetting they had to do this with the 3DS/ 3DS XL and it still came out on the same day or a month later, they would have still had to do all this process right ?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Have they confirmed that the CPP will work in place of the new 3DS's "C-stick"?
In the direct, they compared e new ds to an old ds+coo many! many times. I'm assuming regular 3ds games will just recognize the new 3ds controls as a 3ds+Cpp.

RJfox

Smash Rookie
I honestly don't expect this to come to NA until holiday 2015. We should have plenty of time to save up money so we can afford it. Especially the people who just bought new old modal 3ds's.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I honestly don't expect this to come to NA until holiday 2015. We should have plenty of time to save up money so we can afford it. Especially the people who just bought new old modal 3ds's.
I doubt we'd have to wait that long for it to come to NA and Europe.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
On the subject of the New 3DS, I don't get why so many people are acting like it's so unprecedented for it to have a few games that run on it and not the original 3DS. Did everyone just forget about the existence of the Game Boy Color and the DSi? Also, it's not like every title going forward is going to be a New 3DS exclusive.
To my knowledge, the GBC and DSi had no issues in software compatibility between new and older models. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Holiday 2015 would be too excruciating of a time to release it in NA (or AU for that matter), considering there should be a library of exclusive games for it built up by then. You can't just have a massive upgrade on a popular piece of hardware and keep it to Japan and Europe. I'm optimistic NA should see this by Holiday 2014.If not, then something presses me even harder about Nintendo's European favoritism, which is pissing me off.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
To my knowledge, the GBC and DSi had no issues in software compatibility between new and older models. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Holiday 2015 would be too excruciating of a time to release it in NA (or AU for that matter), considering there should be a library of exclusive games for it built up by then. You can't just have a massive upgrade on a popular piece of hardware and keep it to Japan and Europe. I'm optimistic NA should see this by Holiday 2014.If not, then something presses me even harder about Nintendo's European favoritism, which is pissing me off.
GBC games couldn't be played on the original Game Boy models last I checked. Also, the DSi had it's own unique line of games with the DSi shop, and I think maybe some physical releases that took advantage of features it had that the DS and DS lite didn't.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
As long as it comes out in Europe in February I'll be fine~

Definitely getting this one, I've been meaning to update for a while...since...2011.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
But didn't they have to do this for the 3DS/ XL which came out the same day as Japan or a month after.. O.o
So why can't they do this for the New 3DS model
It isn't high priority as a brand new generation handheld console and it doesn't seem like it was as publicly planned. Also they did have to do this for the 3DS, they just probably worked more simultaneously and planned a closer release window. We are coming into the season where more video games are going to be released so the pressure is on for the localization teams for software so that is probably their highest priority right now. It honestly isn't 'Japan being spiteful' like you claim.

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
It isn't high priority as a brand new generation handheld console and it doesn't seem like it was as publicly planned. Also they did have to do this for the 3DS, they just probably worked more simultaneously and planned a closer release window. We are coming into the season where more video games are going to be released so the pressure is on for the localization teams for software so that is probably their highest priority right now. It honestly isn't 'Japan being spiteful' like you claim.
I personally think it is. I understand that OK they releasing more games: Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon OR&S, etc. I understand that but think about it. Bayonetta is released on October right along with Smash, and the New model 3DS, Hyrule warriors, September right ? This is close together adding one more think would help increase the sales and money they get.. isn't it ? OK they use a lot of money to send but they could make 2x more that...

Also, I still think Japan are being spiteful you know why? Because they released 2DS ( 2DS was made so the the top screen isn't broken easy ) out for us and not for Japan, What does that say to us Europe people and Americans it tells us that the Japanese find us the we are clumsy right or wrong ?
So I will still continue to think that Japan are being spiteful until you can prove me wrong.

Lautsuu
I'd be okay with that.
I would probably be OK with it, but then I would also be like Nintendo have ruined a great opportunity of making a lot of money as I have said before

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
In b4 they needed more ram for Majora's Mask 3D just like on the 64 :troll:
I really hope this comes to America. I honestly want both systems. The normal one for traveling and the XL for at home and maybe tournaments.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I personally think it is. I understand that OK they releasing more games: Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Pokemon OR&S, etc. I understand that but think about it. Bayonetta is released on October right along with Smash, and the New model 3DS, Hyrule warriors, September right ? This is close together adding one more think would help increase the sales and money they get.. isn't it ? OK they use a lot of money to send but they could make 2x more that...

Also, I still think Japan are being spiteful you know why? Because they released 2DS ( 2DS was made so the the top screen isn't broken easy ) out for us and not for Japan, What does that say to us Europe people and Americans it tells us that the Japanese find us the we are clumsy right or wrong ?
So I will still continue to think that Japan are being spiteful until you can prove me wrong.

Lautsuu

I would probably be OK with it, but then I would also be like Nintendo have ruined a great opportunity of making a lot of money as I have said before
The 2DS is meant for children around the age of 7 and younger where the stereoscopic 3D may hurt their eyes and they do tend to be more clumsy. The western market treats Nintendo as games for families/children so of course they would release a console that appeals to the consumers here compared to the Japanese market that enjoys cuter things. You don't seem to understand the cultural differences as well as the localization process fully which is understandable because most don't. You can personally feel however you want, but that doesn't make it so. Consoles don't localize and manufacture themselves. If they could they would try and release them as soon as they can.

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
The 2DS is meant for children around the age of 7 and younger where the stereoscopic 3D may hurt their eyes and they do tend to be more clumsy. The western market treats Nintendo as games for families/children so of course they would release a console that appeals to the consumers here compared to the Japanese market that enjoys cuter things. You don't seem to understand the cultural differences as well as the localization process fully which is understandable because most don't. You can personally feel however you want, but that doesn't make it so. Consoles don't localize and manufacture themselves. If they could they would try and release them as soon as they can.
They enjoy the ' cuter things ' O.o I've heard people say the 2DS is cute. Yes i understand localization, but they did this with the 3DS like i said already the localization couldn't be any different changing the languages, regional differences and technical requirements of a target market they did all this for the 3DS/ XL. That's why im trying hard to understand. Many people say they dont understand the problem of the Japan bringing it out to Europe in 2015 O.o its not just only me, if Nintendo or Iwata give us an explanation to the why they did this then it would probably justify

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Man, this should've been what the 3DS was at launch. It certainly would've made Kid Icarus Uprising more bearable to have the 2nd stick by default.
I hope this means that we can get Minecraft for 3DS now. Still waiting for Minecraft on a Nintendo system so that I can get skin packs of characters that I actually care about...
Also it's cool that Xenoblade is on it but I kinda want to play it on the Wii... And can we hope for Ice Climbers as New 3DS exclusive? Probably not... But they have more processing power to do it!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In the direct, they compared e new ds to an old ds+coo many! many times. I'm assuming regular 3ds games will just recognize the new 3ds controls as a 3ds+Cpp.
That's not what I was asking, though.

They confirmed that Smash will use the New 3DS's built-in C-stick, but they never (to my knowledge) confirmed that the CPP can be used for that same purpose. That's what I want to know, and so far I haven't found a straight answer.

I just feel like this "new" 3DS XL should've been the actual 3DS XL in the first place. Why they waited until now to add the second stick, I have no clue.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
That's not what I was asking, though.

They confirmed that Smash will use the New 3DS's built-in C-stick, but they never (to my knowledge) confirmed that the CPP can be used for that same purpose. That's what I want to know, and so far I haven't found a straight answer.

I just feel like this "new" 3DS XL should've been the actual 3DS XL in the first place. Why they waited until now to add the second stick, I have no clue.
I think the added functionality of the new 3ds will be recognized as a CPP to regular 3DS games (Monster hunter 3, Smash bros)
I'm assuming this because Smash 3ds isn't a new exclusive, and they compare it to a 3ds+CPP constantly through out the direct. Not a direct confirmation, but I think it help the case/

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
They enjoy the ' cuter things ' O.o I've heard people say the 2DS is cute. Yes i understand localization, but they did this with the 3DS like i said already the localization couldn't be any different changing the languages, regional differences and technical requirements of a target market they did all this for the 3DS/ XL. That's why im trying hard to understand. Many people say they dont understand the problem of the Japan bringing it out to Europe in 2015 O.o its not just only me, if Nintendo or Iwata give us an explanation to the why they did this then it would probably justify
As in IPs= cuter IPs versus realistic 'dude bro'' games. To be honest it isn't their biggest priority (Software sells systems old and new anyways and a later released but well polished product is better than two rushed and delayed products.) I will no longer respond because it is very obvious you will not change your stance, but maybe in a few years you will understand. If the only 'unfair' thing in this world we have to deal with then I'd say we all are pretty lucky. :b:

Last edited:

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
As in IPs= cuter IPs versus realistic 'dude bro'' games. To be honest it isn't their biggest priority (Software sells systems old and new anyways and a later released but well polished product is better than two rushed and delayed products.) I will no longer respond because it is very obvious you will not change your stance, but maybe in a few years you will understand. If the only 'unfair' thing in this world we have to deal with then I'd say we all are pretty lucky. :b:
Well, we are all untitled to our opinions, I agree that we are lucky and we have to deal with the fact it will be released in 2015 but many people don't understand also a 'Later release is well a polished one' personally I don't believe they would give the own country a rushed one cause that's unfair to then isn't it? But we never know if the new model comes out better in Europe than Japan I will take back every thing ive said.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, we are all untitled to our opinions, I agree that we are lucky and we have to deal with the fact it will be released in 2015 but many people don't understand also a 'Later release is well a polished one' personally I don't believe they would give the own country a rushed one cause that's unfair to then isn't it? But we never know if the new model comes out better in Europe than Japan I will take back every thing ive said.
I was referring to the localized consoles. You do know they start localization after the original (in this case, Japanese) is nearing completion or finished? The Japanese Version has probably been in development for over a year or two is some form or another (it probably started as the rumored 3DS that has an attached second circle pad instead of having to use a circle pad pro.) Also worldwide releases usually push the release dates closer, sure, but that usually means the first completed version is stalled for releases while the other localized versions are pulled a bit earlier for release. Not to mention worldwide releases require more manpower and resources and at some point you have to step back and see if the Net income (Gross Income - Gross Cost) Outweighs the Gross costs and the risks. Oh well what's done is done. They can always move the release dates if they are finishing ahead of schedule, but sadly probably not before 2015.

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
I was referring to the localized consoles. You do know they start localization after the original (in this case, Japanese) is nearing completion or finished? The Japanese Version has probably been in development for over a year or two is some form or another (it probably started as the rumored 3DS that has an attached second circle pad instead of having to use a circle pad pro.) Also worldwide releases usually push the release dates closer, sure, but that usually means the first completed version is stalled for releases while the other localized versions are pulled a bit earlier for release. Not to mention worldwide releases require more manpower and resources and at some point you have to step back and see if the Net income (Gross Income - Gross Cost) Outweighs the Gross costs and the risks. Oh well what's done is done. They can always move the release dates if they are finishing ahead of schedule, but sadly probably not before 2015.
Yeh true

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm not at all a fan of the button placement.

The Z buttons? I hate that placement. It's so much more natural to have them one over the other. Not one way on the side.
The little analog nub thing... why is it UP? Why not below the face buttons?
The Z buttons are like the old Wii Classic Controller. Putting them like the CPP would increase production costs too much and ruin portability.
They said they put the Analog nub above the X/Y buttons is so you can use those buttosn and move the camera at the same time more easily. I'm hesitant about that, but Nintendo knows what they're doing with control schemes.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
The Z buttons are like the old Wii Classic Controller. Putting them like the CPP would increase production costs too much and ruin portability.
They said they put the Analog nub above the X/Y buttons is so you can use those buttosn and move the camera at the same time more easily. I'm hesitant about that, but Nintendo knows what they're doing with control schemes.
I'd agree if the Wii Classic Controller didn't suck. Their traditional controllers have sucked since the Wii.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
1. I don't understand the question.
2. Don't know.
3. Most likely $154.99
I've been reading your posts for a while, and most of em are kinda uneducated, no offense. This 3DS will at least $200. Games and Console prices never translate directly from Japanese Yen to US Dollars.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I've been reading your posts for a while, and most of em are kinda uneducated, no offense. This 3DS will at least $200. Games and Console prices never translate directly from Japanese Yen to US Dollars.
Well, according to the news article on Smashboards about this new 3DS, it said in English dollars this would cost $154.99. I know they don't translate directly, but this is still a close price range.
Also, was calling me 'uneducated' necessary?

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Ironically, I might opt for the Frankenstick since I could actually use the "claw technique" to play on it.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Well, according to the news article on Smashboards about this new 3DS, it said in English dollars this would cost $154.99. I know they don't translate directly, but this is still a close price range.
Also, was calling me 'uneducated' necessary?
I didn't call you uneducated, as I'm sure you're not. I said your posts were. As in, some of your facts are wrong.

doyouknowbobby

Smash Rookie
NNID
doyouknowbobby
3DS FC
2337-4532-3605
Let's say we import a Japanese "new" 3DS, and let's say it continues the trend of being region-locked.
Would we be able to change our region somehow? Would we have to wait until at least the American one comes out?

Want to sticksmash badly.

Top Bottom