• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Move: Z-Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Thank you everyone. I was weary about posting this online because everyone would find out before I unleash it into competitive play. However, I wanted to put my name on it before someone else did.

Unfortunately for many of you, this has never been shown in a single melee or brawl video. It may even be brawl specific. You are trying to turn it into a melee move, for nostalgia's sake.

If you want to put what I am doing into smash language, its a

short hop cancelled into an arial dodge. now, move 2 in the video was a short hop, arial dodge, into a roll.

as far as i know, no one has ever CANCELLED short hop BEFORE its peak. there is no fast fall here, because the jump doesnt complete.

this allows you to do that much quicker. i can't see how its not useful.

i do apologize for showing this too early, since this game is too new. not enough people know how to play it, and I am still trying to master the gamecube remote after using the wiimote for 7 months.

i find your hostility amusing, as i only posted to share something that could effect you. unfortunately, if it is not posted by a melee god, its worthless for you.

see you at the tournaments in a month then

p.s. gimyfish and hugS, etc said on a webcast smashboards was a kind community, welcome to new players. they said the smash community was different than other gaming communities. from what i am seeing, its no different

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
as far as i know, no one has ever CANCELLED short hop BEFORE its peak. there is no fast fall here, because the jump doesnt complete.

Please elaborate in which circumstances you would actually use this "technique" of yours. It looks like you're just asking for a grab. You're telling me that you're actually going to approach someone with this "walk" of yours? Don't make me laugh.

p.s. gimyfish and hugS, etc said on a webcast smashboards was a kind community, welcome to new players. they said the smash community was different than other gaming communities. from what i am seeing, its no different
It is a rather kind community, but don't expect a newcomer who suddenly comes in and names a technique after himself to be treated kindly. Know your place. Please name me a couple significant techniques that have been named after people, and not solely named by the "discoverer."

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Oh so you're all upset I named it the Z Walk, ok how about the Cowtown Shuffle or the Appleton Bunny Hop. I could name it something melee, like wavecancel. However, I do not wish to pursue Brawl as it is Melee. New game, new players, new physics, new moves, new characters, new mindgames, new nomenclature.

Besides, if none of you are going to use it, you won't have to worry about its name =/

robman1

Smash Cadet
plenty moves already named after "wave" neway

good try even if no one else finds it useful

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to put "wave" into the name to get us to accept it, you just have to not be a condescending, arrogant jerk trying to turn a technique into a brand name for yourself. This IS a community, and we frown pretty heavily on people trying to name techniques in ANY way after themselves, with few exceptions, especially when what they've "discovered" isn't nearly as revolutionary or new as they think it is.

It's a nice enough place here, as long as you leave your arrogance at the door.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
1. Alternative form of movement to avoid tripping
2. Spacing for defense
3. Fake jump or cancel jump
4. Z-Walk into short hop for a rapid unsespecting position change
5. Bidirectional Z-walks into smashes, and even faster B moves

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
ZZZ, I respect you for your strikers skill, and I was in the GH3 clan over there for a little bit before I realized it was stupid, but you have to realize that half the people on these boards are better than you at Brawl and melee, and you should show some respect by reading up a little bit and asking around before you go claiming "advanced" techniques.

jayrocs

Smash Cadet
I sympathized for you earlier but now I don't. You're really coming off as annoying. Think about the position you're in a little bit before you respond again, seriously. You are defending yourself, which is only human nature to do, everyone wants to defend themselves. But, you have nothing to back you at all, and furthermore, you now say "I'll see you in the tournaments in a month?" Don't make me laugh. In one month I will forget you existed, and by that time you will probably no longer be a part of this board as one of two and ONLY two things happen. Neither of which include this 'technique' as being successful.

1: You finally realize this is a worthless technique. It isn't even a technique you are air dodging a shorthop then shielding. That in itself is not entirely useless, but it isn't ground breaking, and neither are you the first person to ever do it. After your realization you will shamefully excuse yourself from this community because this technique will get you nowhere, and you will remain a no one.

2: You still don't realize how bad this technique is, and continue to troll for a couple of months, play in some tournaments and recieve last place. I still admire your desire to be good at this game, maybe even make a name for yourself but if this was your first smash game, trust me even if it is heavily different from melee. You are not going to be good in a short period of time, but please as I'd find it amusing play some competitive matches and post them for all of us to see. It would be the shortest matches recorded for brawl, which would be a good thing.+

Lastly, let me point out exactly why this is really useless. You can run and shield, giving you almost the same thing, close distance safely maybe get a grab or drop shield into a hit. This was done in melee. Your technique leaves you vulnerable, because of the airdodging system they know exactly where you will land, you will get grabbed. And you will be punished. And the other thing, jumping over someone then rolling back? LOL? If you were already that close to an opponent, why not aerial, attack, grab, something. You believe good players will let you jump over them and land in range to roll then grab? They will jump out of their shield and hit you, and then laugh about how dumb you are. If by some slim chance you got behind them again, they will roll away, turn around and grab you, or jump away and do a retreating aerial. Whatever they do, your attempts will just remain wasted.

tl;dr: This move is useless, and remain forever useless. It isn't even a move, doesn't require a name.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Yawn, it isnt a short hop for the last time. I am CANCELLING her short hop BEFORE it reaches her peak.

This game has a limited number of moves, and the competitive edge of it relies on timing, reactions, and setups. This adds both another form of movement, but more importantly another attack approach, and defensive maneuver. Hence, there are different timings involved, for both the player using this, and the player battling against it.

In such a limited game, to say that something like this is worthless is bold. There are plenty of techniques up in the official technique list that are far less important.

I laugh at how close minded some of you are. I will post videos with me using this in gameplay once I develop it. I understand there are melee veterans out there who are very good at this game. I know I'm not the best, and will not be the best for some time. I don't understand why you are attacking ME when I am simply providing you a move that has NOT been made public yet.

And yes, I will see you at the tournaments, in 1 month after I have trained myself to the competitive level. I am a 23 yo college grad, stop treating me like a kid. I don't plan on taking out the Pacific West greats that soon, but I plan on getting my name up there. Don't hate just because I have goals with my gameplay. What is the point in playing if you have no greater aspirations?

So anyway, I have documented several uses for this, and I will label this move currently as "situational," however in the next week I plan on developing it into the foundation of my gameplay. So have some patience. I greatly contributed to MSC and MOHH2, and hope to have as big of an impact as possible in Brawl (yes I know it will be more difficult because this game is basically an old, already developed game with a few changes).

P.S. I am the most attractive Brawl player in North America

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Ahem. Well, the Z-walk is a little wierd, but I found some uses for the so called 'pivoting' that you showed, which seem to be useful for every character. They're basically ways to use the skidding animation to create mindgames in your approach.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152950

This thread is Ness specific, but the ATs there work with everyone, and the last one falls more under mindgames than ATs. Anyway, this is a good way to use that technique that is both useful and reasonable.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unfortunately for many of you, this has never been shown in a single melee or brawl video. It may even be brawl specific. You are trying to turn it into a melee move, for nostalgia's sake.
It's unfortunate for us that what you thought was a new discovery wasn't really a new discovery? Isn't that just you not knowing enough about Smash in general and Brawl in particular?

Tell me, what are you doing when Z-canceling? From what I and the others can tell, all you're doing is canceling Peach's Jump by holding down and X/Y (or even up on the control stick) to make her float at a desired level. This is called Auto-Floating and was around in Melee.

So you're shorthopping, Auto-Floating and rapidly letting go? And sometimes you do this while moving forward? How is this even good? Especially if they hit you while you're doing it. Your float was just sacrificed for something pretty useless.

Anyway, please feel free to correct me (and the others) if what you're doing is is something else entirely.

Yes we have. You might not have seen videos of people doing it. Much like you might not have seen videos of Marths comboing Fair into Final Smash, but it doesn't mean people haven't already discovered it can be done or that they aren't doing it.

Not all people have video capture cards and not all people who have video capture cards are good enough players to know "advanced" stuff like this.

For what? Bad and slow approach?

i do apologize for showing this too early, since this game is too new. not enough people know how to play it, and I am still trying to master the gamecube remote after using the wiimote for 7 months.
We know how to play it. We knew about everything you showcased in the video. Your mistake was assuming we didn't and that no one had discovered it yet and that you therefore had naming rights to it.

i find your hostility amusing, as i only posted to share something that could effect you. unfortunately, if it is not posted by a melee god, its worthless for you.
No, it's worthless because it's a bad "technique". And you named it after yourself.

We welcome new players. We do not, however, welcome stupidity.

Also, might I say, I find it laughable you have a little Smash clan that plans on discovering new techs and strats on its own and not share it with anyone else, going so far as to create a secret forum-section and privately flagged Youtube-videos?

1. Alternative form of movement to avoid tripping
2. Spacing for defense
3. Fake jump or cancel jump
4. Z-Walk into short hop for a rapid unsespecting position change
5. Bidirectional Z-walks into smashes, and even faster B moves
1) Can only be done by Peach and is quite slow when compared to her dashing speed. It will help you avoid tripping, though, I'll give you that.
2) How is this good for spacing for defense? And how is it better than rolling backwards, dashing backwards or simply floating backwards?
3) And this is good how? You're barely leaving the ground. It's not really a good fakeout. Once you've actually realized you've left the ground, you'll have landed again.
4) As opposed to dashing into a shorthop?
5) You can do all of these things more efficiently by other means. And it won't magically make B moves faster.

And once again, may I reiterate, you're doing nothing new (unless we've completely misinterpreted your video). You've discovered nothing new nor have you provided us with anything not commonly known.

All of the things you thing were already know by the community. In fact, they already existed back in Melee. No one did/does it because it's pretty bad.

Damax

Smash Lord
bla bla bla bla bla

P.S. I am the most attractive Brawl player in North America but I'm also quite retarted
modification made to clear up things.

Edit: go Yunie woot!... Enough come back! lol

You should lower your head, its not cause you win against your friends that your good, you should reconsider investing yourself into brawl for calling a technique Z-Walk which consist of a form of triangle jumping made with peach's float cancel. congrats cancelling the short hop with the float, everybody on these boards must know how. Congrats on using the less useful thing out of it: a dodge. you could space fair, nair, hell anything, peach's float is just that awesome.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Everything Yuna said. Shove a Belgian Waffle up your *** ZZZ. Like I said before, half the people here are better than you at Melee and Brawl. You think you and 10 others at wt can take over the Brawl competitive scene? This community is so much larger and more developed that as Yuna said, it's laughable.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
it is not little, we are a multi-game gaming group, and we will be active in the community, hosting prize tournaments, regional open play nights. many of the best smashers are in crews.

one benefit to playing as a group is that your game will develop much more rapidly than it would solo. a lot of people enjoy teamwork. WT has about 60 dedicated brawlers, neatly organized to maximize our training and development. we are not only based on brawl, we are already top ranked in msc and mohh2.

anyway, if you want to debate the philosophy of grouping in multi-player video games, id love to.

you are saying that hiding anything new is a bad thing? yet when i release something new, that is a bit undeveloped, you still get mad. it sounds like you want me to master it before its released, yet you dont want anyone mastering it without the public knowing.

this has nothing to do with floating at all. you are all wrong about this, go learn to do it so you can understand what it is instead of assume incorrect things. as far as i know, you can't float as soon as you jump, you have to wait until you reach your peak, or get near the peak.

Capt. Oli

Smash Cadet
Releasing something undeveloped that has the potential to be good is praised. Attempting to release something that is blatantly obvious that has almost no purpose is flamed.

Mama

Smash Ace
Thank you everyone. I was weary about posting this online because everyone would find out before I unleash it into competitive play. However, I wanted to put my name on it before someone else did.

If you want to put what I am doing into smash language, its a

short hop cancelled into an arial dodge. now, move 2 in the video was a short hop, arial dodge, into a roll.

see you at the tournaments in a month then

Its doesn't matter who posted it. Its the manner in which you go about posting it that got you so much grief. You came in on a high horse. Somebody knocked you off and now you're on your back defending yourself.

Thats only human. Let me help you up.

Had you come in nicely and proposed it in another way then it would have been peachy keen. I admire your resolve in trying to get better though. I'm also not the type of person to just flame un forgivingly.

What you did right was look for a way around tripping since thats something a lot of people are trying to do. What you did wrong however was not provide the manner in which you do this. That leaves people with only one option. Go by sight. They see that this manner of movement simply looks like you're short hopping and then fast falling while air dodging. Since air dodges are momentum based they can't possibly cancel your short hop which is what people realize and are saying. So, if this is something else and you're not just short hopping then pressing down and then air dodging in quick succession then go ahead and say so. Say what you're doing and then rather then closing out whatever people say, leave it up to the community to decide the usefulness of something.

Who knows, this may end up being something great. Then who will be the ones looking silly? Bookmark the thread just in case that happens. However this may turn out to be not so great. In the event of that happening you shouldn't be convinced something is godly and awesome because if it turns out not to be then you just look silly. (Like Ink dropping rofl)

Lastly, when naming something, your first initiative is to make the name newb friendly. Meaning the name says something about the technique. If thats not viable (like air-dodge into ground walk as an alternative name for wavedashing) then you go for something thats simple. You could either try to name it after yourself and be flamed by some people (but not all) or leave it up to the community to decide(like B sticking). You still get whatever glory or credit you feel you deserve you just don't get to have part of your name in it since naming something after yourself is often frowned upon by the Smash community. People here are friendly. Just remember what they say about first impressions.....

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Want to know why you were number 1 in MSC? Because NOBODY PLAYS THAT GAME COMPETITIVLEY BESIDES YOU AND MAYBE 100 OTHERS.

THOUSANDS of people are already so far ahead of you in terms of Brawl's metagame that you can never catch up, and you will ALWAYS be 4-stocked against someone like Azen. Brawl isn't about chipshots zzz, it's about MINDGAMES.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
it is not little, we are a multi-game gaming group, and we will be active in the community, hosting prize tournaments, regional open play nights. many of the best smashers are in crews.

one benefit to playing as a group is that your game will develop much more rapidly than it would solo. a lot of people enjoy teamwork. WT has about 60 dedicated brawlers, neatly organized to maximize our training and development. we are not only based on brawl, we are already top ranked in msc and mohh2.
The pathetic part isn't that you have a clan. The pathetic part is that you've created "secret sections" in order to be able to develop "secret techniques" with which you plan to conquer the Competitive Smash world. As if people won't be able to discover what you discover (and much more). And the majority of us are nice enough to actually share our findings.

you are saying that hiding anything new is a bad thing? yet when i release something new, that is a bit undeveloped, you still get mad. it sounds like you want me to master it before its released, yet you dont want anyone mastering it without the public knowing.
It's not just underdeveloped, it's useless. No one got mad because you released information about a bad technique. We're mad because you had the audacity to name it after yourself and claim it's a good move even though it isn't... except you can't trip during it.

this has nothing to do with floating at all. you are all wrong about this, go learn to do it so you can understand what it is instead of assume incorrect things. as far as i know, you can't float as soon as you jump, you have to wait until you reach your peak, or get near the peak.
1) It has nothing to do with floating at all? Just tell us what your button inputs are and save us all a lot of time.
2) As far as you know? What videos have you been watching? How many videos have you been watching? And what people were playing anyway?! Because if you'd seen a single video of an even moderately competent Peach Player, you'd know that you can float before reaching the peak of your jump (Auto-Floating), even at ground-level (Ground Floating). We competent Peaches do this a lot.
3) No really, what videos have you seen? Also, just tell us exactly what button inputs you're using to do the Z-walk.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Yuna, you must know that dashing, or rolling back move you set distances. This offers a third motion, and a third distance to back away or back.

If you roll back and forward, you end up in the same spot. if you Z-Walk back, roll forward you would be in a different location, same with dashing.

If everyone in the game is used to players' dash lengths and rolls this offers a movement that they can not be as percise with.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
as far as i know, you can't float as soon as you jump, you have to wait until you reach your peak, or get near the peak.
You can float immediately upon leaving the ground. It was possible in melee. This is not a new technique, and certainly does not deserve to be named after you. Everything Yuna said is pretty much right, albeit somewhat harsh.

...looks like he beat me to it >_>

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
if anyone here can reproduce the Z walk as shown in the video by floating, i will glady take my name off of it

however, i am confident this is a different move/button combination than any type of float cancel

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, you must know that dashing, or rolling back move you set distances. This offers a third motion, and a third distance to back away or back.
The third and much more reliable motion would be to actually ground-float backwards. It's even faster and you can even continue floating if you wish to instead of doing jerky motions forwards.

If you roll back and forward, you end up in the same spot. if you Z-Walk back, roll forward you would be in a different location, same with dashing.
Funny, I always thought a dash could last for as long as you wanted it to as long as there was ground beneath your feet.

Please, tell us exactly what you're doing when you Z-walk. Because I see nothing new in it. Tell us the exact button presses. If it's something new and not already known, then kudos to you. If it's not, then we'll point it out and you'll accept it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
if anyone here can reproduce the Z walk as shown in the video by floating, i will glady take my name off of it

however, i am confident this is a different move/button combination than any type of float cancel
1) Jump
2) Flick down on the Control Stick while holding either X or Y
3) Let go of it and move forward

Is this what you're doing? If not, then please tell us exactly what you're doing.

Mama

Smash Ace

Go back one page and read my post. As I said, you can't expect to be taken too serious if you don't provide a how to in order for other people to test it out. Simply showing a video and then speaking of its value gets you nowhere quite fast. Its not a great thing to do if you're new. It just makes you look bad. At this rate, if it somehow managed to be some super useful technique, then regardless of what you say or do it'll get a different name and you'll actually be pushed into the shadows with this attitude of yours.

Right now its not looking all that useful from what we can see. However you can't really judge anything in Smash by face value. Which is why including directions is critical in order for other people to test things out. But at this rate you wont want to do that so this will be another thing that falls off the map. If you become great in the tournament scene utilizing this "technique" (which, right now, is highly unlikely) then good for you.

jayrocs

Smash Cadet
I can't believe this is really happening. I am not going to record myself but all you are doing is auto floating, less than short hop length, then cancelling the float by letting go of jump. In the video you look kind of stupid, because you are crouching as you do it, so this is how YOU DO IT in the video.

1. hold down on control stick, makes you crouch. I'll call it the J-crouch btw, new tech i discovered. /sarcasm.
2. press jump y/x while you are still holding down.
3. Hold jump, if you hold it you will ground float, (yeah, its not new in melee there was a djc, double jump cancel we knew and DID cancel shorthops to be much shorter there's your history lesson.)
4. Do not ground float long, let go of jump after a slight pause long enough to travel with, short enough not to see her floating hands animation.

Oh and in case you get anal about it, move control stick to choose direction of jump. The end, that is what you are doing. If the forum wasn't lagging, this would be a better discussion.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If there was an actual move here to discuss, this would be a better discussion.

RageofNidhogg

Smash Rookie
It seems like you feel like you're being mistreated because you truly believe that this technique is new and that it is useful. People are reacting harshly to your posts because of the way that you present yourself, and because of the way you are responding to questions. Also the technique that you have "discovered" is really just using peach's float to cancel your short hop and then letting go of the float so you will fill to the ground. If you don't believe me about that, then try to do the "z-walk" with any other character. It won't work because other characters cannot float.

This technique also doesn't seem like it would apply to a lot of situations because it is just a shorter but longer and slower short hop.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe this is really happening. I am not going to record myself but all you are doing is auto floating, less than short hop length, then cancelling the float by letting go of jump. In the video you look kind of stupid, because you are crouching as you do it, so this is how YOU DO IT in the video.

1. hold down on control stick, makes you crouch. I'll call it the J-crouch btw, new tech i discovered. /sarcasm.
2. press jump y/x while you are still holding down.
3. Hold jump, if you hold it you will ground float, (yeah, its not new in melee there was a djc, double jump cancel we knew and DID cancel shorthops to be much shorter there's your history lesson.)
4. Do not ground float long, let go of jump after a slight pause long enough to travel with, short enough not to see her floating hands animation.

Oh and in case you get anal about it, move control stick to choose direction of jump. The end, that is what you are doing. If the forum wasn't lagging, this would be a better discussion.

ok you have described how to float on the ground. nice work, now how do you Z-Walk? More importantly, you cant arial dodge with your technique.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
lol boo wins the thread. told you this was a joke thread guys lol@people taking it seriously. no one would be dumb enough to name this useless tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom