• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
I always thought a Roy CF/Gannondorf clone would be neat.
Sorry, let me explain that better... Roy is now a good balance between Marf's speed and Ike's strength. You have a choice out of three sword users which you want more, power, speed, or a good mixture of both. With CF and Gannondorf, you have to decide between ridiculously stronk, and faster than a speeding bullet. Maybe if Black Shadow was added, he could be between the two, with some CF moves but some of his own, like Roy has?

Ridley22

Smash Ace
+1 Ridley
+1 K. Rool
+1 Dark Samus
+1 Ganondorf/Black Shadow
+1 Skull Kid

The game is missing a lot of villains, and these would perfectly represent their franchises. Each of them could have interesting play styles as well.

D

Deleted member

Wow, didn't expect to see that so many people were so supportive of Isaac. I'd figure he'd be a Top 5 pick, but not the de facto #1 pick.

But, in case my comments the day after the game was revealed before its release didn't factor in, I'd just +1 for Isaac.

However, I'll also do these, if only to make my suggestions fit into the grand scheme:

+1 for Isaac, as already stated
+1 for Lyn
+0.5 for Ninten (As a Ness skin, probably)
-1 for Krystal (Hard to take her seriously considering how she debuted...)
-1 for Pichu (Why would I want to play as a joke character that's not even entertaining?)

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Wow, didn't expect to see that so many people were so supportive of Isaac. I'd figure he'd be a Top 5 pick, but not the de facto #1 pick.

But, in case my comments the day after the game was revealed before its release didn't factor in, I'd just +1 for Isaac.

However, I'll also do these, if only to make my suggestions fit into the grand scheme:

+1 for Lyn
-1 for Pichu (Why would I want to play as a joke character that's not even entertaining?)
A Ninten skin wouldn't work considering he isn't Ness, but a Ninten themed shirt could work.

I still think he'd work a lot better as a character though. I started playing Mother 1 last weekend and there's so much you can do to make a really good moveset, either cloned or original.

D

Deleted member

A Ninten skin wouldn't work considering he isn't Ness, but a Ninten themed shirt could work.

I still think he'd work a lot better as a character though. I started playing Mother 1 last weekend and there's so much you can do to make a really good moveset, either cloned or original.
I've beaten Mother 1 (as EarthBound Zero with the "EASY" mod) a while back, so I agree with this.

GotRest?

Smash Rookie
+1 Black Shadow/Ganondorf
+1 Saki
+1 Isaac
+1 Ray MK III
+1 Skapon

Is this thread still being totaled? The OP doesn't seem like it's updated in a while.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
If I were to choose from the updated list, itd be: isaac, sami, waluigi, skull kid, lip

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, what would you think about Urban Champion inclusion? A retro absurd character like Duck Hunt dog or Ice Climbers (RIP) are always welcome!

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
+1 'dorf -> b.shadow
+1 Sukapon
+1 Chibi robo
+1 Saki
+1 Isaac

and -1 Waluigi because we already have too many Mario characters

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine

+1 for Lyn
Mate whatever makes you say that about krystal can I ask you something didn't Zelda appear like that, Didn't peach to, oh and defitley some others so whats different about krystal oh shes a female in star fox oh ok im sorry atleast im not supporting a character who isn't ever gonna make it in or return. (plus what shes still a badass)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Mate whatever makes you say that about krystal can I ask you something didn't Zelda appear like that, Didn't peach to, oh and defitley some others so whats different about krystal oh shes a female in star fox oh ok im sorry atleast im not supporting a character who isn't ever gonna make it in or return. (plus what shes still a badass)
Relax on the hostility brah, everyone's entitled to their opinion. We have downvotes for a reason

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
If Isaac and Ridley gets confirmed; I demand a fan made video of Isaac saving a crying Zero Suit Samus from Ridley.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
+2 1/2 Pichu
+2 1/2 Young Link

If I could please split my votes on two because in all honesty I feel all Melee veterans should return before the inclusion of new characters should even be considered.(Except for Maybe Dr. Mario). So anyways I know I wouldn't change my mind and want to vote for any other characters later if you would let me split my votes between these two. I mean heck if not then I have 3 votes that would never get used. Though if you don't grant my request +1 Pichu and +1 Young Link for me at least. Also to all the Pichu and Young Link haters. (especially Young Link haters), there still will be 3 slots left if we can have these characters back. Three Project M exclusive Characters sounds like more than enough if not too many in my opinion. I think there should only be like one or two Project M exclusive at the most if any.

{-1 Primid }----- (Why have a generic character to rep smash who has only appeared in Brawl? It just doesn't make to much sense except for the ease factor. Why not have Master Hand or Crazy Hand converted into the other fighters physic or balanced around a HP system some how to rep Smash instead? That makes a lot better sense then the logic used to include Primid as a choice.
{-1 Tails }
{-1 Knuckles }
{-1 Shadow }
{-1 Gray Fox }
{-1 Liquid Snake}----- This is a Nintendo fighting game intended for Nintendo fans though 2 quest characters is cool but most fighters only have one if any though sometimes 2. Also as stated the slots should be reserved more so for Nintendo characters. So I am just highly against them as inclusions over the rest of the choices.

-On a side note-
Although I don't feel like we really do need Dr. Mario in his own slot, Smash 4 made me think a bit. Swapping current Mario's move set to a Dr. Mario slot would be cool so that Mario could get his fludd move back and have further de-cloning procedures done. Since after all Mario has hundreds of moves to pick from throughout his video game life. Also it would be one of the easiest clones to do and a nod to brawl Mario. Plus that way Dr. Mario will still have the Mario move set we grew up with throughout Smash. Though this is more for people to think about because I feel like Dr. Mario as a costume is sufficient enough anyway, just an idea.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
+2 1/2 Pichu
+2 1/2 Young Link

If I could please split my votes on two because in all honesty I feel all Melee veterans should return before the inclusion of new characters should even be considered.(Except for Maybe Dr. Mario). So anyways I know I wouldn't change my mind and want to vote for any other characters later if you would let me split my votes between these two. I mean heck if not then I have 3 votes that would never get used. Though if you don't grant my request +1 Pichu and +1 Young Link for me at least. Also to all the Pichu and Young Link haters. (especially Young Link haters), there still will be 3 slots left if we can have these characters back. Three Project M exclusive Characters sounds like more than enough if not too many in my opinion. I think there should only be like one or two Project M exclusive at the most if any.

{-1 Primid }----- (Why have a generic character to rep smash who has only appeared in Brawl? It just doesn't make to much sense except for the ease factor. Why not have Master Hand or Crazy Hand converted into the other fighters physic or balanced around a HP system some how to rep Smash instead? That makes a lot better sense then the logic used to include Primid as a choice.
{-1 Tails }
{-1 Knuckles }
{-1 Shadow }
{-1 Gray Fox }
{-1 Liquid Snake}----- This is a Nintendo fighting game intended for Nintendo fans though 2 quest characters is cool but most fighters only have one if any though sometimes 2. Also as stated the slots should be reserved more so for Nintendo characters. So I am just highly against them as inclusions over the rest of the choices.

-On a side note-
Although I don't feel like we really do need Dr. Mario in his own slot, Smash 4 made me think a bit. Swapping current Mario's move set to a Dr. Mario slot would be cool so that Mario could get his fludd move back and have further de-cloning procedures done. Since after all Mario has hundreds of moves to pick from throughout his video game life. Also it would be one of the easiest clones to do and a nod to brawl Mario. Plus that way Dr. Mario will still have the Mario move set we grew up with throughout Smash. Though this is more for people to think about because I feel like Dr. Mario as a costume is sufficient enough anyway, just an idea.

god DAMN man. the rules say you can only vote once for each character. live with it.

fludd is trash, and we have mario+offshoots galore
we don't need 3 links
we already have 7 pokemon

what if its never shown?
c'mon
PMBR are probably more excited than us to reveal who's next
no harm with keeping it down until smash wii u is released and the hype dies down a bit
i bet that's what they're doing anyway....

Last edited:

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Id say Q2 of 2015, unless they reveal a character WAY before 4.0's release (which I think is the version that would include a newcomer)

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Id say Q2 of 2015, unless they reveal a character WAY before 4.0's release (which I think is the version that would include a newcomer)
in all honesty we're dealing with valve time here. PM edition. it's announced when it's announced, and all that.

though to be fair and objectively speaking, more than enough time's passed for them to have one working (or at least close to being so), be them clone or done to the extent mewtwo is, as well as all this stuff for 3.5's release.

Last edited:

Spy

Smash Rookie
If I had to choose from any of these:

+1 Isaac
+1 Lyn
+1 Claus
+1 Skull Kid

(In that order if it's relevant)

I agree with the post that said we don't have enough villains but Isaac is a chance to give a great series more representation and Lyn is always a fan favorite. Claus and Skull Kid would both be really interesting includes but I'm not sure if they'll compete with the first two when the votes are tallied.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Each of these characters have a lot to bring to the table in terms of moveset potential and originality, I feel any of them would make great additions.
King K. Rool: +1
Sami: +1
Dark Samus: +1
Waluigi: +1
Ridley: +1
Paper Mario: +1

However these two I don't see the appeal of, and generally would rather not see them be used. While Lip could have a fairly unique moveset potentially, she has very little apparent to work on excpet Lip's Stick's damage over time mechanic.
Pichu: -1
Lip: -1

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
+1 for King K Rool, we need more Donkey Kong villain support!
+1 for Dixie, for another Donkey Kong rep. Would be easier to do than King K. Rool since it could be a Diddy Clone.
+1 for Ridley. There is currently a good PSA being worked on at the moment, so it is feasible if the PM team uses it.
+1 Ganondorf/Black Shadow. Ganondorf should have his own move set and Black Shadow would be a smarter/logical Captain Falcon clone.
+1 For Issac ... give GodlenSun some love!

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
+1 Ridley Betcha the PMDT could create one helluva Ridley. Although I'd hope for a redesign and not the Brawl model.

+1 Dark Samus
Because yes.

+1 Ray MKIII

+1 Waluigi

+1 Ganondorf / Black Shadow

+0.5 Isaac

+0.5 Lyn

-1 Knuckles No matter what, I can't see this guy become more than a Sonic semi-clone with some more hard-hitting attacks. Boring, and as if it wasn't enough: third-party. An unrepresented Nintendo franchise would deserve a spot so much more.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Thought Id use the rest of my votes
+1 Isaac
+1 Skull kid
+1 Sami
+1 Waluigi

-1 blackshadow/ganon (I dont have to go over all that ****, right?)
-1 Ridley (I cant see how can ridley fit (no pun intended) in any smash game, it feels so weird. And I dont really want any other metroid rep, I just despise ridley) <- not good enough of a reason to accept it, but I just wanted to say it

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
+1 Waluigi (he's my favorite Nintendo character, and I'm fed up with him only being in Mario spin-offs. I gotta give some support)
+1 Ridley (this is for the fanbase)
+1 King K. Rool (Dixie is a likely candidate for Smash 4 DLC (if it happens), might as well vote for one who's less likely to be playable in a Smash title at any future point)
+1 Isaac (I know nothing about Golden Sun other than the fact that its existence has been erased in Smash Bros. 4. Nobody should be snubbed like that. Put 'im in P:M)
+1 Sami (I would've gone with Andy since he's the main protag and all... but everyone seems to like Sami more. Might as well go with the higher requested one, eh?)

Whoever the first character is, I hope it makes a lot of people happy. At this point, it's all I care about. :B

Last edited:

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
+1 Ninten (Mother's got 2 reps, but there really is potential with his moveset, plus he's from MOTHER1.)
+1 Ridley
+1 Black Shadow/Dorf
+1 Dixie
+1 Sukapon

+.5 Andy
+.5 K.Rool (Wouldn't play as him so .5, but honestly I believe he's more worthy than Dixie of a slot.)
+.5 Saki
+.5 Chibi-Robo??? (Can I do this?)

-1 Lyn (Too many FE sword users.)
-1 Masked Man (We really don't need two characters from the same MOTHER game.)
-1 Dark Samus (Similar is good for P:M, but I think she just might be TOO similar...)

Has anyone else voted in support of Chibi-Robo? He's in Brawl as a trophy. Dunno how far he'd get in votes, but if Sukapon is up there, I think Chibi-Robo is worthy of note. He's got a few games and a potential troll moveset with household items. Olimar was scaled way up for Brawl, so size can be worked with. Lots of people who have played the game love it a lot. Probably A in value, C in effort.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
+1 Ninten (Mother's got 2 reps, but there really is potential with his moveset, plus he's from MOTHER1.)
+1 Ridley
+1 Black Shadow/Dorf
+1 Dixie
+1 Sukapon

+.5 Andy
+.5 K.Rool (Wouldn't play as him so .5, but honestly I believe he's more worthy than Dixie of a slot.)
+.5 Saki
+.5 Chibi-Robo??? (Can I do this?)

-1 Lyn (Too many FE sword users.)
-1 Masked Man (We really don't need two characters from the same MOTHER game.)
-1 Dark Samus (Similar is good for P:M, but I think she just might be TOO similar...)

Has anyone talked about adding Chibi-Robo to the possibility list? He's in Brawl as a trophy. Dunno how far he'd get in votes, but if Sukapon is up there, I think Chibi-Robo is worthy of note. He's got a few games and a potential troll moveset with household items. Olimar was scaled way up for Brawl, so size can be worked with. Lots of people who have played the game love it a lot. Probably A in value, C in effort.
They get added once they've reached a certain number of votes. Chibi Robo has a couple of votes, but not enough to get into the OP yet (at least 10 are needed). He might soon, though.

Last edited:

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Ffff I edited the post when I read a little bit back, but it was too late for your post. :p Ah well.

Off to see the most recent results.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I saw a few of those "Definitive P:M Rosters" a few pages back and thought I'd make one.

- Isaac and Ridley as The Deserving Duo -

Fans of Golden Sun and Metroid have suffered for years. Sakurai refuses to give Golden Sun any more than a passing acknowledgment, and refuses Metroid any more than its leading lady. These additions are for those forlorn fans. As well as possessing unique designs and moveset potential, these two characters carry starpower with the Smash Fanbase (be it good or bad) and will bring a lot of newcomers to the P:M scene.

These characters would require the most development of any of the others, though I feel that plenty can be taken from Charizard for Ridley (and this is coming from a huge Ridley fan -- PM Charizard is a great jumping-off point for Ridley) and that his biggest task will be working with the boss model and animating it well. Isaac's moveset, however, will probably have to be made completely from scratch, and I feel that he should incorporate all four Elements in his moveset (Fire/Mars, Earth/Venus, Water/Mercury, and Wind/Jupiter) to truly represent the Golden Sun series.

- Sami as The Femme Fatale -

Sami, being a clone of Snake, could bring his explosive fighting style from vBrawl back into the game. Hailing from Advance Wars, a series that Nintendo has seemingly forgotten, like Custom Robo or Golden Sun, Sami could bring all of her military-grade weapons into the fray, as well as possibly bringing some light TBS-elements into her playstyle.

- Ray Mk. III as The Power-Packed Little Guy -

Custom Robo is a cool and under-appreciated series, and Ray is, obviously, the face of that franchise. I don't believe that Ray would be overly difficult to make beyond using an insane amount of projectiles (some of which could simply be disguised disjointed hitboxes), and being a tiny guy that really packs an explosive punch appeals to me.

- ...and Pichu as The Returning Veteran that Everyone Seems to Hate -

I'll be honest -- I don't care for Pichu. The mere idea of incorporating a character that is literally Pikachu but smaller (and a grossly disproportional head) is laughable.

However, I can't give Ridley fans (and myself) Ridley and not give Pichu fans their time to shine. He would be an extremely simple character to make, and could have a moderately unique moveset (for as easy as he would be to make).

- If one of the characters above is not included for one reason or another, I think Donkey Kong should be next in line for a rep. -

As for my reasoning, I chose the characters I did because they will likely never see an official Smash Bros. game. Isaac, Sami, and Ray's times have all passed without them ever getting the spotlight. For one reason or another, they were overlooked and fell into obscurity, or maybe got an Assist Trophy, but the fans want more than that. They deserve more than that. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Custom Robo are all great series that may never see the light of day again. They deserve to be immortalized in Project M.

Ridley is a different story, although the reason is ultimately the same. Sakurai seemingly refuses to add him as a playable character, despite his importance, relevance, and popularity. Metroid, as a whole, doesn't receive much love within the series, mainly due to the fact that Sakurai is very likely not a fan or not especially familiar with it (which also seems to be the case with Donkey Kong). Ridley is a big character in the West, and extremely important to Metroid, but will likely never be playable, much to the dismay of his legion of fans. He deserves to be playable, if only once.

And Pichu is just Pichu. :laugh:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I think Pichu and Young Link shouldn't even have to be voted on, people mained them in Melee and were upset after their departure. I seconded Young Link and mained him for awhile in Melee yet another reason I have to keep going back to Melee. How can other peoples mains in Melee be respected and return without votes yet other people are punished for maining less popular characters in Melee? (like what Nintendo keeps doing by cutting characters) I think Project M should have everyTHING Melee had to offer yet more not less in certain departments. I think Pichu and Young Link should just be givens and next in line in respect to Melee and Melees fans. Then the other 3 slots should be voted on. Though I think Toon Link should get a move overhaul and Young Link should return to his former glory with slight move adjustments. Pichu should also get several tweaks and maybe a few moves to differentiate him from Pikachu yet still making him feel and play like Melee Pichu but just without the sucking part. Hell if they were givens then I would vote for some of these choices but not until then because that is disrespect to the game that inspired this Project in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom