• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Well, Pichu is hated or just ignored by many people because he was a mistake. That's it. He was the classical fighting games joke about a bad character. He is bad. He was intended to be bad.

I would preffer Plusle & Minum as a playable character, with modified Pichu's moveset but double character like the IC. Maybe an alt costume for them could be shiny Pichu and sparked ear Pichu, both from Pokémon Gen IV.
Since we're on the subject, you got me thinking of the Pichu Bros, which have been suggested several times in this thread. I'll go ahead and throw them a +1/2 vote (just to save Anti Guy the trouble of digging up my old votes just to change a single one, as tempted as I am to switch my vote for Goroh to someone else-- maybe Lyndis or even Ray).

A dual character mechanic similar to that of the IC's would keep them fresh and viable for those who feel that a joke character isn't really warranted in P:M. However, should they go with the Pichu Bros, I'd like to hopefully see a way to play as a solo Pichu by holding R (just like SoPo), so that the players who want to disrespect will have that option too. That, coupled with the other moveset ideas posted by myself and others could make things very exciting.

...Not that I'm the first person to think of this or anything.

As an aside I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad for the folks whose votes were nulled because their picks made SSB4. I voted Ridley, Issac, Dixie, and Goroh, so I wasn't really affected. It was really hard to give out that 1/2 vote consolation prize to Paper Mario and Lyn though...

Still not terribly excited for the Ganon/Black Shadow switch, but I don't downvote, so I suppose that's a moot point

I've been out of the loop for way too long.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Whether Pichu is included or excluded there would be hate. Why do you think there are people giving Pichu a -1 vote? Smash is the type of game that can't please everyone because there are so many potential Nintendo characters that can be in this game. Like you stated before there are 700+ pokemon, any fighting type pokemon in my eyes can have a developed moveset in Project M and then there are the other types...the possibilities are endless. I'm neutral to Pichu but veteran status is the only thing Pichu supporters cling on to warrant his inclusion in Project M and the PMBR stated countless times that they are their own game, the M does not stand for Melee so don't expect it to be Melee 2.0
Can I has shuckle? :213:

.5 for shuckle!

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
You're not thinking practically. Practically, he's the best idea for a clone to not play exactly his original while still being doable.
To add to what UltimateWario said, look at the overwhelmingly negative attitude towards Sonic characters in this thread. To add to that, even a lot of Sonic fans hate Silver.

Chase

Smash Ace
Okay. I'm going to vote for Ganondorf/Black Shadow, Ridley, Isaac, King K. Rool, and Sukapon.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You're not thinking practically. Practically, he's the best idea for a clone to not play exactly his original while still being doable.
Rasgar is thinking completely practical. The thing is that regardless of how good characters like Silver are as Clone Engine candidates, they are less important to the series they represent. Any character in the Sonic series has great clone potential, not just Silver. Like Blaze being a Roy-ified Sonic. But characters who define the series, like Eggman (Villain) / Tails (Sidekick) / Knuckles (Rival) / Shadow (Popular Choice #1 with or without haters), have greater priority over characters like Silver.

Add to that the fact that this is a Nintendo series game, and Sonic characters being highly disliked as stated above, Silver has a ghost of a chance of making it anywhere. Especially with those Sonic costume recolors pretty much deconfirming their chances. And this is coming from a HUGE Silver fan. I'd support Silver to death if he actually stood a chance.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Switching up one of my earlier votes. After seeing this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3ECarsZvc

...and this redesigned model...

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...dley_psa_wip_13_by_bagansmashbros-d80gvsh.png

...I'm absolutely sold on Ridley. With smoother animations, he looks super fun to play and concerns about his size are clearly overblown. Not sure if I should edit my previous post, but either way, the changes are in bold:

Isaac +1
Dixie +1
Skull Kid +1
Sami +1
Ridley +1
Dark Samus +.5

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
If nobody's suggested it already, Ridley's final smash needs to be a Giga Bowser- styled move where he grows three times as big. It'll be glorious.
Omg, YES! You say he's too big? Giga Ridley!...

Take two, and call me in the morning. :4lemmy:

Notshane

Smash Ace
Well from what I've read, and the recent votes, seems like Isaac is top and Waluigi is above C-Tier now...I am now satisfied the characters I wanted in the game will be there, most likely. Dark Samus would be pretty great if she was a fast character though, looking forward to seeing Dark Samus.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You think Shadow is the most likely? I'd like to believe you... Shadow's the coolest.
Among the Sonic fan base, yes. Here, no Sonic character is popular.

Edit: Though I think you misunderstood. I never said Shadow was the most likely. I said he was one of the top ranking popular characters. You see, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman all have greater importance to the series than Shadow, and are pretty much just as popular. Shadow is just merely a popular character from the generation shift of 2-D to 3-D Sonic. This isn't much different from how Rosalina was added to Smash 4 due to her popularity in the Mario fanbase. This means that Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman would be chosen before him, which means pretty much anyone after Shadow is doomed to fail no matter what.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I've been away for a while and the thread's name changed, does this mean I have to cast my votes again?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I've been away for a while and the thread's name changed, does this mean I have to cast my votes again?
It was changed so people would realize what we do here. Vote resets will not begin until we get a new character.

Shin F.

Smash Master
We should add an FAQ to the OP and add a note to read them in the title so it'll be easier to explain things and we won't have to do so over and over.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I was a regular here and didn't felt the need to read the OP or look back a few (hundred) pages now that I've returned, sorry for the inconvenience guys.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I was a regular here and didn't felt the need to read the OP or look back a few (hundred) pages now that I've returned, sorry for the inconvenience guys.
Nah, not talking about you in particular. That was a common question from everyone who was a regular here. More just people in general who ask the same questions or try to vote for 3rd Parties or Smash 4 characters and such. I was just thinking out loud it would be useful to have a place where all the common questions are answered.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Nah, not talking about you in particular. That was a common question from everyone who was a regular here. More just people in general who ask the same questions or try to vote for 3rd Parties or Smash 4 characters and such. I was just thinking out loud it would be useful to have a place where all the common questions are answered.
There was one before, right? or am I thinking of some other thread?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The OP, but no one bothers to read it. :p An FAQ there would be more organized and can answer questions directly without the whole post having to be read.
Not sure why this wasn't thought of before. That would save us a hell of a lot of trouble. I'm all aboard this idea. Great suggestion Shin~

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
In the OP it says "Why add [Shadow] before Tails?" and I think it's fair to ask that.

I don't think that it would be right to make Tails a Sonic clone. He's depicted as more of an engineer, and actually rides around in an mech in SA2. Personally, it would degrade the character.

The other clone ideas are Shadow and Knuckles. Knuckles is an interesting Choice because he's heavier and stronger than Sonic, while still being fairly similar in model and appearance to Sonic, so power to him.

Which leaves the most hated Sonic character out of Sonic's fanbase: Shadow the Edgyhog.
I don't have much to say here, except that he would be less rush down, and have some projectiles like the chaos spears and stuff.

I've already voted, and there's no necessity to give Sonic, another 3rd party game, an extra character, especially since Sonic now has a Shadow Cosplay skin, but I think he'd work well.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
The OP, but no one bothers to read it. :p An FAQ there would be more organized and can answer questions directly without the whole post having to be read.
the thread title should have "read the OP before voting" in it or something. that would solve at least some confusion.

In the OP it says "Why add [Shadow] before Tails?" and I think it's fair to ask that.

I don't think that it would be right to make Tails a Sonic clone. He's depicted as more of an engineer, and actually rides around in an mech in SA2. Personally, it would degrade the character.
the mech was just a cheap excuse to replicate the Gamma gameplay from sonic adventure... poorly. tails as a sonic clone would be nothing but a godsend.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I think it is more insulting to question the opinion of a fanbase.

SA2 is a terrible example of Tails, and by far the worst representation of the character throughout the entire series in my honest opinion. In fact, most people would agree with this statement. The only reason it happened that way is because Tails was added late in SA2's development.

The other clone ideas are Shadow and Knuckles. Knuckles is an interesting Choice because he's heavier and stronger than Sonic, while still being fairly similar in model and appearance to Sonic, so power to him.
Knuckles is just as defined and different than Sonic through his power, gliding, and digging as Tails is through his flight and tech boy stuff. If Knuckles is going to be a clone, so is Tails.

Which leaves the most hated Sonic character out of Sonic's fanbase: Shadow the Edgyhog.
I don't have much to say here, except that he would be less rush down, and have some projectiles like the chaos spears and stuff.
Most hated is merely your opinion. You can check in popularity polls and anywhere else in the community and find Shadow is a double-edged sword in the series. Yes a lot of people hate him. But just as many people like him, if not more. And nearly anyone who liked SA2 will tell you that they liked Shadow specifically in that game. Shadow was even ranked above Tails at a point, and still to this day is a popular character in the series.

I've already voted, and there's no necessity to give Sonic, another 3rd party game, an extra character, especially since Sonic now has a Shadow Cosplay skin, but I think he'd work well.
Yet you still suggested Silver when he has a Silver costume. If you don't like Shadow, that is fine. But don't use collective statements thinking people agree with you without proper research. Especially the majority. None of the votes here in this poll are indicative to how the entire Sonic Fanbase feels of these characters. It is how the Smash Community feels about them.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Among the Sonic fan base, yes. Here, no Sonic character is popular.

Edit: Though I think you misunderstood. I never said Shadow was the most likely. I said he was one of the top ranking popular characters. You see, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman all have greater importance to the series than Shadow, and are pretty much just as popular. Shadow is just merely a popular character from the generation shift of 2-D to 3-D Sonic. This isn't much different from how Rosalina was added to Smash 4 due to her popularity in the Mario fanbase. This means that Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman would be chosen before him, which means pretty much anyone after Shadow is doomed to fail no matter what.
Going by that logic actually Sol.

Since Rosalina had a good spike in popularity even though being created later than other contenders like Daisy, Waluigi, Toad, Etc... she was the one who made it in.

That could be easily a parallel to Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Etc...

In that sense, Shadow fits the Rosalina bill the most.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Going by that logic actually Sol.

Since Rosalina had a good spike in popularity even though being created later than other contenders like Daisy, Waluigi, Toad, Etc... she was the one who made it in.

That could be easily a parallel to Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Etc...

In that sense, Shadow fits the Rosalina bill the most.
I actually had that same thought and was considering on including it into my point.

EDIT: Oh wait... I DID say that. Sorry I'm actually in a rush to post this before I leave for work. But yeah that is what I was getting at Saito. Shadow is about as important as Rosalina in terms of importance to their series.

Last edited:

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal

You misunderstand, I LOVE SHADOW!
I'm saying that those out of the Sonic fanbase hate him, and most within it like him.

I understand that about Tails, but it would feel awkward to play as Sonic Tails

Knuckles... Fine you're right, I didn't look far enough. Though there is certainly a case for him to be directly ported as a Sonic clone.

I also forgot about Silver Sonic, plz don't hurt me.
Besides, Shadow Sonic is at least excusable. Silver never once shows any similarities to the other hedgehogs.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Shut up already with the females and the omg why you Hector costume he has axe that totally unique butt. Spears, axe, lances, etc. in general are actually NOT that different from a regular sword if you really think about it. Some are but just shush. Not hating on FE characters, but just saying that some of the characters you want from that series are not as unique as you may think. I'd honestly rather have Lyn or a magic user but don't count that as a vote.

Female characters do not matter on Project M at ALL. I know you're used to Smash 4 where they are a big factor in a character's chances, NOT funness or viability or uniqueness or whatever, for getting into the game. You know what matters here in Project M? Being different and fun for people whose style is not yet perfectly fit. Also for getting secondaryish characters that Sakurai did not add to please the butthurt, well, EVERYONE( why did you have to make Skull Kid an assist trophy? ). NOT representation of a series, NOT because it's logical, and NOT because of gender. Don't think of it as a pro is what I'm saying same as being male is not a pro. And please, please I beg you, SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT KRYSTAL. No she is not unique or fun. She is a shoehorned dumb character and she represents Star Fox's down fall so please just take back your vote and I'll give you a cookie :awesome:. Seriously once she gets added you are gonna be so dissapointed you didn't get another character. I'd rather have Slippy over her. Don't think I'm sexist or whatever, I just want people to have this in their heads so they can choose smarter choices of characters. Don't mean any offense either.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I actually went through like three different female characters before actually picking Sami, and just didn't bother to change the header. -shrug- Sorry.
Meant to reply to this earlier.

No worries or anything, man. Like i said, great to see another Sami vote, but you have to understand that when you tag her as "a woman who uses her feminine wiles to seduce and control people" you are sending one HELL of a mixed message.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Shut up already with the females and the omg why you Hector costume he has axe that totally unique butt. Spears, axe, lances, etc. in general are actually NOT that different from a regular sword if you really think about it. Some are but just shush. Not hating on FE characters, but just saying that some of the characters you want from that series are not as unique as you may think. I'd honestly rather have Lyn or a magic user but don't count that as a vote.
Thank Ye.

A lance is literally going to function similarly to a sword in a game like smash, but be even harder to balance because of range.
An Axe is the same way but possibly shorter, and more weight to it.

Female characters do not matter on Project M at ALL. I know you're used to Smash 4 where they are a big factor in a character's chances, NOT funness or viability or uniqueness or whatever, for getting into the game. You know what matters here in Project M? Being different and fun for people whose style is not yet perfectly fit. Also for getting secondaryish characters that Sakurai did not add to please the butthurt, well, EVERYONE( why did you have to make Skull Kid an assist trophy? ). NOT representation of a series, NOT because it's logical, and NOT because of gender. Don't think of it as a pro is what I'm saying same as being male is not a pro.
I can accept this statement as well.

And please, please I beg you, SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT KRYSTAL. No she is not unique or fun. She is a shoehorned dumb character and she represents Star Fox's down fall so please just take back your vote and I'll give you a cookie :awesome:. Seriously once she gets added you are gonna be so dissapointed you didn't get another character. I'd rather have Slippy over her. Don't think I'm sexist or whatever, I just want people to have this in their heads so they can choose smarter choices of characters. Don't mean any offense either.
Her being representative of star foxes downfall has no relevance to project M (using the logic you showed above)

You don't determine what character is or isn't fun either.
Far as I'm concerned a staff will work similarly to a sword, but in Project M it could be more of a build up damage playstyle fast with really high % kill moves.

Uniqueness though is a fair point though.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I hate to be offensive no i don't, but when did all the...er...youngin's get here?

Seems like the impossible character requests have skyrocketed.

steelguttey

mei is bei
if anything an axe will function similarly to a sword cause of wide strokes and a lance will just be straight pokes that are longer than swords so yea kind of different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom