• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
oh, my bad.

it just reads like it's from the Pro-black shadowdorf point of view, while i feel these descriptions should be largely neutral.
No, you're right. It does sound that way, that's why I agreed to reword it. Just washing my hands of the biased wording, lol. I am a Blackendorf supporter, but that entry didn't come from me.
I'm going to have to put in some overtime if Taka only made it to low B tier. lol

Excellent work on that OP guys.
Is Taka's entry ok? That one I did write, but I'm not super familiar with him, so I'm unsure about it.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
It's spot on Shin. If I'd add anything it'd be a small mention of the original game being available for western audiences now (can't understate this, it's the first time it's seen a western release since its launch in 1986) after the growing popularity line.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a little shrine, lashed together from bone and blood, that I pray to. I pray only for Skull Kid (wearing Majora's Mask) and Isaac from Golden Sun. Then PM will be

10/10 best game ever, gave me a BJ -IGN

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
-1 Krystull from Starfux.

Reson: no furrys plz this is game not 4chan
4chan has a ban on furries on every board except I think /b/, and no human goes to /b/ anyway.

Oh hey, Pichu and Waluigi both crossed the threshold into B-tier. That's pretty great, I wouldn't expect higher but it's nice to see the characters rising above the negatives al the way into +15.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
other then project m devs has anybody actually made a character from scratch (with the exception of pichu)
Well, if fully from scratch, no Brawl animations used, then there are few of them that are actually good. Like that Mewtwo (not from Project M).

Good to see that Ridley is still 2nd most popular/upvoted/whatever in the poll.

Also, why "many still think he is too big" is considered to be a con? I can agree that his Brawl model is difficult to work with (overall, it isn't, but his wings are rigged so horribly that you can't really rotate them as you can in case of every other character), but this?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
LOL @"The guy everyone thought would be in Smash 4 for sure".
Also, it's good to see that Takamaru is the highest rated character with a 100% approval rate.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This is fracking insane. They aren't going to be adding Tails or Paper Mario anytime soon. If anything, the most likely contender is pichu.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Still not highest requested character. Only B Tier (19 votes total).
Methinks he meant "least contentious". (Most) People see merit in Team Taka and he isn't a very divisive character in appeal, just a bit understated in most Smash circles.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This is fracking insane. They aren't going to be adding Tails or Paper Mario anytime soon. If anything, the most likely contender is pichu.
So what's the problem then considering even if Pichu was next in line, there'd be four more openings and the PMDT is up to the design challenge of filling them?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You know what? I'm going to start a boycott against Isaac, because 260 character passwords in a font that makes k and K look the same is not fun.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That's why I said "with a 100% approval rate".
I know. I said "Still not highest requested character", not "but he isn't highest requested character". Still not highest requested character = for now/even then/yet, he isn't the most highest requested character.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I know. I said "Still not highest requested character", not "but he isn't highest requested character".
Well seeing as he only joined the poll recently, of course he doesn't have nearly as many votes as everyone else. The biggest problem being that a lot of people have already cast their votes and thus can't change them.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
+ 1 Ridley please

I don't care about anyone else, I just know that if they add him to P:M I can die happy.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Don't look too much into that approval rating. It just means that no one has down-voted him yet, which could change any time and likely will now that he's being added to the OP and thus becoming much more visible to both supporters and potential down-voters.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna vote, but then I realized how stupid this was. The only character which could realistically get in is Pichu because hes a veteran.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Don't look too much into that approval rating. It just means that no one has down-voted him yet, which could change any time and likely will now that he's being added to the OP and thus becoming much more visible to both supporters and potential down-voters.
Oh, and what about Donbe? I gave him a full vote, and I'm sure he got some half votes, but I can't see him in the list.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Id die if ridley is included, not hapily
Well, he needs some game to call home as a playable character other than *****y mods. You could say mods like PM are more open with their rules, anyway if it means a character is so highly requested.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
+.5 for Sami. I like military characters.
Also I kinda wanna take back my former vote for Masked Claus.. Ninten's a better choice because we'll have all 3 Mother protagonists in 1 game..

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I was gonna vote, but then I realized how stupid this was. The only character which could realistically get in is Pichu because hes a veteran.
What are you talking about?

The Project M Development Team specifically stated that 5 Clone Engine Characters are a possibility, (Realistically 4 characters and your "realistic" Pichu, or 5 other characters.) Saying Pichu is the only realistic possibility is just asinine.

You're also weighing a lot of doubt into the creativity of this mod's makers. As if the only idea within their reach is Melee veterans.

Seriously dude, you're out of line. Are some of these ideas far fetched? Yeah! Will veterans be first priority? Maybe. The point of this thread is that there's a large amount of realistic possibilities. The mod is community made, and gives us an opportunity to discuss about and cheer on our favorite characters. Pessimism isn't helpful, or enjoyable.
Gtfo psykid, you aint no mod, you can't tell me wat2du :c
I don't have to be a mod to know when you're being unreasonable.

I know this thread gets off topic often, but there's a difference between unintentional tangents and blatantly asking questions that don't even begin to pertain to the subject at hand.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

The Project M Development Team specifically stated that 5 Clone Engine Characters are a possibility, (Realistically 4 characters and your "realistic" Pichu, or 5 other characters.) Saying Pichu is the only realistic possibility is just asinine.

You're also weighing a lot of doubt into the creativity of this mod's makers. As if the only idea within their reach is Melee veterans.

Seriously dude, you're out of line. Are some of these ideas far fetched? Yeah! Will veterans be first priority? Maybe. The point of this thread is that there's a large amount of realistic possibilities. The mod is community made, and gives us an opportunity to discuss about and cheer on our favorite characters. Pessimism isn't helpful, or enjoyable.

I don't have to be a mod to know when you're being unreasonable.

I know this thread gets off topic often, but there's a difference between unintentional tangents and blatantly asking questions that don't even begin to pertain to the subject at hand.
Asking if anyone happens to know where the pmbr got a song from is unreasonable?

Compared to things that have happened in the past?

Please Psykid, you are being way too serious. Honestly, there are way more posts that would actually apply to what you said, but you target mine which happened to randomly ask a simple question. A simple yes or no would have sufficed instead of being an ass.

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman

Sorry if I came off as a bit rude lol. But seriously, I thought that one of the main goals of the PMDT was to re-balance characters from Melee and Brawl. To make some characters viable and to nerf some characters. Not to create new characters which weren't in previous entries.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sorry if I came off as a bit rude lol. But seriously, I thought that one of the main goals of the PMDT was to re-balance characters from Melee and Brawl. To make some characters viable and to nerf some characters. Not to create new characters which weren't in previous entries.
That's the primary goal, yes. But that doesn't preclude the possibility of new characters, especially since they've said it could happen.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It alright. Just thought is clear it up.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Hm. good point.
It's not really a good point. As the opening post explains, Pichu would still require about 700 manhours to create, and the end product would get mixed reception at best. While it'd be nice to have the entire Melee crew back, Pichu being worth the effort is highly questionable.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Eh, Pichu would require a workload more comparable to Roy's which was much less than Mewtwo's 700 hours. I forget the exact numbers as it's been quite a while since we've discussed the processes behind his development, but I have a strong feeling it was somewhere around 300 - 400.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Eh, Pichu would require a workload more comparable to Roy's which was much less than Mewtwo's 700 hours. I forget the exact numbers as it's been quite a while since we've discussed the processes behind his development, but I have a strong feeling it was somewhere around 300 - 400.
yes, people always misquote the PMBR on this - they specify a completely new character's animations would take that long to create. i can't remember where to dig up the quote, but I'm damn sure somebody from the PMBR said that the 700 hours is what making mewtwo's animations from scratch was estimated at. of course as he wasn't revealed yet they couldn't say it directly in the clone engine blogpost.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Still a lot

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
yes, people always misquote the PMBR on this - they specify a completely new character's animations would take that long to create. i can't remember where to dig up the quote, but I'm damn sure somebody from the PMBR said that the 700 hours is what making mewtwo's animations from scratch was estimated at. of course as he wasn't revealed yet they couldn't say it directly in the clone engine blogpost.
Pretty sure that was because they couldn't import animations from Melee at the time, so they had to recreate everything.

Pikachu's already in P:m, and they can import animations from Melee now, so it would be significantly less if they did make him.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Pretty sure that was because they couldn't import animations from Melee at the time, so they had to recreate everything.

Pikachu's already in P:m, and they can import animations from Melee now, so it would be significantly less if they did make him.
of course pichu would take less work. nobody's saying otherwise.

the point still stands. Any COMPLETELY new character will take around that estimated time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom