• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
+1 Bowser Jr. (Very different Squirtle clone; uses paintbrush)
+1 Porky (pretty different Wario clone)
+1 Vaati (kind of different Zelda clone)
+1 Isaac (idk, the way everyone else wants to do it)
+1 Tom Nook (I'm not sure, same as Isaac)
I was under the impression that Vaati was a sticker.

I change Vaati's vote to +1 Saki.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ray certainly is getting a lot of love with the recent votes. I think it is safe to say he would be doing a lot better if he had been in the intro sooner.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
+1 Pokemon Trainer (example: down smash maybe a rattatta come outs and hyperfangs, or his up special could be riding a pidgy)
If this happens, the Rattata down-smash needs to be his most powerful move.
Because his Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattatas.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
+1 Sukapon (I wants muh Skuhpwn)
+1 Sami (Snake base + female + awesome character = amazing potential)
+1 Skull Kid (I was the first to bring him up in this thread that I can recall, and my support for him has not changed)
-
+1/2 Lyn (UMvC3 Vergil-/SC III-IV Setsuka-inspired moveset = awesome, and I'd totally play Lyn if she was in as that)
+1/2 Chibi-Robo (We need more chibis)
+1/2 Tom Nook (Why not?)
+1/2 Medusa (Was Medusa represented in Brawl? I can't remember, but she would be interesting to have considering she doesn't really have a chance to be in SM4SH but was the main antagonist in every KI game, IIRC (barring Uprising, technically)
+1/2 Toad (Toady toad toad)
+1/2 Bowser Jr.
+1/2 Krystal (I support her as long as she brings something new rather than another spacie moveset)
+1/2 Slippy (see: Krystal)

I am not entirely decided on the last two +1's, but I know that the three I have are my definites. Vaati would be as well, if he were eligible. I will probably add to thist later after I think about it more.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
+1 Sukapon (I wants muh Skuhpwn)
+1 Sami (Snake base + female + awesome character = amazing potential)
+1 Skull Kid (I was the first to bring him up in this thread that I can recall, and my support for him has not changed)
-
+1/2 Lyn (UMvC3 Vergil-/SC III-IV Setsuka-inspired moveset = awesome, and I'd totally play Lyn if she was in as that)
+1/2 Chibi-Robo (We need more chibis)
+1/2 Tom Nook (Why not?)
+1/2 Medusa (Was Medusa represented in Brawl? I can't remember, but she would be interesting to have considering she doesn't really have a chance to be in SM4SH but was the main antagonist in every KI game, IIRC (barring Uprising, technically)
+1/2 Toad (Toady toad toad)
+1/2 Bowser Jr.
+1/2 Krystal (I support her as long as she brings something new rather than another spacie moveset)
+1/2 Slippy (see: Krystal)

I am not entirely decided on the last two +1's, but I know that the three I have are my definites. Vaati would be as well, if he were eligible. I will probably add to thist later after I think about it more.
Ray Man those are quite interesting choices. I don't see very many voters for Chibi-Robo.

As for Medusa though...Unless in-game trophy text counts, Medusa is not eligible.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Living life on the Edge. Nobody knows Edgy better than Edge the Lucas. Totally original character, do not steal.
+1/2 Edge the Lucas
You haven't seen an Edgy Lucas until you've seen Lucas the Giygas.
Why thank you. I used my master art skills in MS Paint to create this splendid outfit.

I thought your vote was hilarious until I realized I had to count it.

I don't think you realize just how edgy Edge the Lucas is. He not only has Edge in his name, but his species is a Lucas. His Sonic character power is being the Edgiest of all Lucas' ever. That is why he looks a lot like Shadow.
Although Edge the Lucas seems much much edgier
This guy... he looks like he's seen some ****
10/10 best thing to happen to me all week

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Full Votes:
Black Shadow/ Ganondorf
(Ganondorf greatly needs a more fitting moveset, just a few days ago I was telling a friend that we need another F-zero character, And Black Shadow seems to be a perfect fit.)
Sukapon(I-I don't know, 'just kinda like him.:))
Pichu(He's(She's?) a Melee veteran and deserves to come back.)
Ridley(Metroid needs another character. And I've wanted him since Melee.)
K.Rool(Because we need more evil kings.)

Half-votes:
Dark samus
(If I may quote quote-quote-quote
Bowser Jr.(While I would enjoy him in the game, I feel he's too risky for a full vote.)
Tails(If Sonic was to get any of his buddies into this, I guess it would be Tails.)
Ray mkIII('Haven't played the game, but he looks like he'd be a good fighter. )
Isaac(pretty much the same as Ray.)

Down-votes:
Pokemon Trainer
(We've got enough pokemon characters as it is. (Contradictions wow)
Paper Mario(We've got enough Mario characters.)
Toad(See paper mario)
I'd like to change one my votes, but I don't think "was young and foolish" is a good enough reason.
So I'll just add some ½votes:

+SkuII Kid,
+Daroach,
+Balloon Fighter.

And, if possible, remove my Toad down-vote and replace it with a ½-vote.

Edit:
+½ Edge The Lucas

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Ray Man those are quite interesting choices. I don't see very many voters for Chibi-Robo.

As for Medusa though...Unless in-game trophy text counts, Medusa is not eligible.
Yeah, that's what I thought. No problem, she wasn't a +1, haha.

And more interesting is that I forgot some characters I support (and if by "interesting" you mean the characters I named with exclusion of Ridley, Isaac, and other characters like such that are popular, that's because they still have a chance for SM4SH.)

Anyways:

+1/2 Masked Man (His in-game abilities would provide a moveset wholly different than the PSI-users while still remaining a sense of familiarity - which is exactly what these characters should be)
+1/2 Daroach (Give Pikachu a run for his rodent money)
+1/2 Blaziken (FIRE CHICKEN!)
+1/2 Meowth (Was one of the most popular Pokemon in the past thanks to the anime, where it had - and still has - basically star billing alongside Pikachu, plus would be unique enough)
+1/2 Ray Mk. I/II/III/etc. (Custom Robo is cool, give Ray the attention he needs but cannot register because he is a machine and can't feel emotion; unless there's something I don't know about the games, that is)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
+1/2 Masked Man (His in-game abilities would provide a moveset wholly different than the PSI-users while still remaining a sense of familiarity - which is exactly what these characters should be)
Preach it, brother. This is precisely why I'm so on board with MM. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to get much love. Especially with Ninten treading the scene. Which isn't to say I wouldn't LOVE to see the third protagonist smashing.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Preach it, brother. This is precisely why I'm so on board with MM. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to et much love. Especially with Ninten treading the scene. Which isn't to say I wouldn't LOVE to see the third protagonist smashing.
Whooaaaa, now. Masked Man is one of the highest ranked characters in the voting. Ninten doesn't compare to him in popularity. He's only been getting support fairly recently.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Whooaaaa, now. Masked Man is one of the highest ranked characters in the voting. Ninten doesn't compare to him in popularity. He's only been getting support fairly recently.
Really? My apologies! I haven't truthfully looked into the votes so far. I've really just been here for Move Set discussion, which is why I stayed. I should probably look into that... O_O That's good to know. Now we just need to keep up the Ninten attention.

Shin F.

Smash Master
That's because my and Saito's movesets came out just before the voting closed and the yoyo idea caused people to support him. Up until then, he had very little support, and most people who voted don't check here so only those who were around began to support him. He's actually got enough now to be added to the OP, I think - 9 votes and 7 half-votes for him (2 down votes, for 10.5 total - statistically putting him at 89% approval from those who voted in relation to him), but that still doesn't put him close to Masked Man's current 29 votes and 18 half-votes. (4 down votes, 34 total, 92% approval)

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Since I have it on hand with working on editing the OP and everything, here are the Final Results again for those too lazy to check the OP in the first place lol

Here are the final results. I won't be tallying anymore votes after this point.

There were 249 unique people voting.

As usual, it'll be this format, and I've only included characters with at least 10 votes:

Name: Score (+1s, +1/2s, -1s, %)

Individual Tiers
Isaac: 132.5 (131, 23, 10, 93.90%)

Ridley: 100.5 (108, 33, 24, 85.45%)

Lyn: 74 (83, 26, 22, 83.21%)

Ganondorf + Black Shadow: 68 (91, 23, 35, 76.67%)

Dark Samus: 53 (54, 40, 21, 81.74%)

King K Rool: 46 (43, 32, 13, 85.23%)

A Tier
Skapon: 39.5 (44, 31, 20, 78.95%)
Bowser Jr.: 37 (39, 32, 18, 79.78%)
Saki: 37 (33, 26, 9, 86.76%)
Skull Kid: 32 (27, 18, 4, 91.84%)
Masked Man/Claus: 30.5 (27, 15, 4, 91.30%)

B Tier
Sami: 23.5 (34, 13, 17, 73.44%)
Dixie Kong: 23 (35, 38, 31, 70.19%)
Paper Mario: 20 (25, 34, 22, 72.84%)
Tom Nook: 20 (18, 20, 8, 82.61%)
Ray: 18.5 (11, 15, 0, 100.00%)
Andy: 15.5 (14, 19, 8, 80.49%)
Samurai Goroh: 15 (13, 26, 11, 78.00%)

C Tier
Toad: 7.5 (21, 19, 23, 63.49%)
Waluigi: 6 (31, 26, 38, 60.00%)
Lip: 5.5 (1, 9, 0, 100.00%)
Hector: 3.5 (11, 19, 17, 63.83%)
Tetra: 3 (9, 14, 13, 64.89%)
Red/Pokemon Trainer: 1 (5, 4, 6, 60.00%)
Plusle & Minun: -3 (6, 9, 13, 51.85%)

D Tier
Toon Zelda: -9.5 (6, 7, 19, 40.63%)
Krystal: -10.5 (11, 25, 34, 51.43%)
Pichu: -12.5 (36, 25, 61, 50.00%)

F (Sonic) Tier
Tails: -25.5 (16, 19, 51, 40.70%)
Knuckles: -28.5 (15, 11, 49, 34.67%)
Shadow: -53.5 (12, 7, 69, 21.59%)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yeah, that's what I thought. No problem, she wasn't a +1, haha.

And more interesting is that I forgot some characters I support (and if by "interesting" you mean the characters I named with exclusion of Ridley, Isaac, and other characters like such that are popular, that's because they still have a chance for SM4SH.)

Anyways:

+1/2 Daroach (Give Pikachu a run for his rodent money)
+1/2 Blaziken (FIRE CHICKEN!)
+1/2 Meowth (Was one of the most popular Pokemon in the past thanks to the anime, where it had - and still has - basically star billing alongside Pikachu, plus would be unique enough)
+1/2 Ray Mk. I/II/III/etc. (Custom Robo is cool, give Ray the attention he needs but cannot register because he is a machine and can't feel emotion; unless there's something I don't know about the games, that is)
For the most part I was referring to Chibi-Robo. It is a character I'm surprised to see support for, although even more surprised that it doesn't have as much support as it should.

As for Ray feeling emotion, I couldn't really tell you. I guess the best I could say is that the series does have a very "Beyblade" like approach with things, so I guess any emotion that is conveyed is through the hero controlling the Custom Robo.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi +1
Ridley +1
Black Shadow/Ganon +1
Dixie Kong +1
Bowser Jr. +1

Pichu +1/2
King K Rool +1/2
Toad +1/2
Claus +1/2
Samurai Goroh +1/2

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
More voting? I guess now's a good time to reassert my votes/expound upon the most important one/plug me expounding upon the most important one.

My +1 votes go to:
Sukapon
Waluigi
Ganondorf
Ridley
+1/2
King K. Rool
Paper Mario
Third parties, because I'd hate to see some Sonic side-character winning tournies in the greatest Nintendo mash-up ever made, and I fear the consequences of antagonizing extra copyright holders.

In Summary
Sukapon has the pedigree, aesthetic distinctiveness, player support, and cloneability to stand out as an excellent clone engine candidate. She offers a playstyle, physics, and design much more compelling than just "like this other character but stronger/faster/floatier/somethinger", yet does so without relying on disruptive gimmicks that redefine interactions, instead using the game's fundamentals in a new – but natural – way. Her specials boast traits that are simple to understand but rife with strategic depth and which no other character can replicate: the role of Konnan Irahen as both a movement- and zoning-option; the timing and tradeoff of using Tondekee's action command; the mindgames of KI/Tondekee mixups; and the long-range sweetspot of Super Sukapon Roll that still isn't sufficient to secure a successful snipe on the sought subject. Finally, an exclusive out-of-game opportunity is attainable with Joy Mech Fight and Sukapon. Much like the Smash series has done with Ice Climber and Captain Falcon, PM has the chance to establish the game and character as products of its own dissemination. Whenever you see a Joy Mech Fight fanwork – be it comic, video, image, prose, game, or just a casual reference – you could infer that the creator shares an interest in Project M.

While pressing "attack" at the moment of impact does not actually make Tondekee stronger in JMF, there are many other projectiles in the game for which it does, and it just sounds too fun/rich a mechanic to pass up. Besides, how can one not want to capitalize on the potential term "Headshot"?
Variable speed, however, is a part of JMF's Tondekee (as well as most other projectiles).

Those banners look good, JCOnyx/Shin. Mind if include the Sukapon one in "the post?" Same to Solbliminal regarding the character icon.
The series icon conversation inspired me to try my hand at one. I did my best!

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
That's because my and Saito's movesets came out just before the voting closed and the yoyo idea caused people to support him. Up until then, he had very little support, and most people who voted don't check here so only those who were around began to support him. He's actually got enough now to be added to the OP, I think - 9 votes and 7 half-votes for him (2 down votes, for 10.5 total - statistically putting him at 89% approval from those who voted in relation to him), but that still doesn't put him close to Masked Man's current 29 votes and 18 half-votes. (4 down votes, 34 total, 92% approval)
Percent approval is meaningless for Ninten at this point because many people who could have potentially downvoted him did not. All you're really counting is how many people are coming out to support him at this point. This also applies to a lot of the later poll entrants.

What's that supposed to be the icon for?

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I would rather see ninten than masked man
But i didn't play earthbound

Also can someone explain to me how/why sukapon is getting all these votes?

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
It's awesome that voting is back up. Thanks guys. ok so I think my votes will go toward:

Black Shadow / Ganondorf swap: This is a great choice because it makes ganondorf closer to his actual inception and gives us another villain. F-zero could use another rep too.

Krystal: She probably won't be in Smash Wii U and she would be the most unique non-clone spacie. Her staff and elemental style attacks make a different kind of fighter. Female rep and c'mon who doesn't love spacies.

Finally last but not least King K. Rool (assuming he is not in smash for wii U) I mean with kremlings in smash run he might be in smash wiiU but if he is not then he definitely needs to be in PM. Villains are needed, DK has only 2 reps, plus he wouldn't be another clone like cranky kong would be.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I would rather see ninten than masked man
But i didn't play earthbound
Quite frankly I'm happy with either one. Ninten, if done correctly will be more familiar with just the right amount of difference for someone who knows the current PK kids.

Masked Man would probably be more different but also similar enough to be picked up easily. At first glance, MM as a character seemingly has more potential (Through his use of a sword, wings, cannon arm, etc.) but if Ninten uses support strategy (S/O to Shin) like the protagonists were intended to in the Mother games, he's just as unique.

They're both great and I'm glad to see them both receiving up-votes.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Percent approval is meaningless for Ninten at this point because many people who could have potentially downvoted him did not. All you're really counting is how many people are coming out to support him at this point. This also applies to a lot of the later poll entrants.

I'm aware, which is why I made sure to specify that it was the percent only of people who voted in relation to him. I was only making sure to include all of the information for both characters.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm just going to re-do my votes:
+1 Toad
+1 Ridley
+1 Sukapon
+1 Ray MK.
+1 Andy

+1/2 Skull Kid
+1/2 Tom Nook
+1/2 Isaac
+1/2 Lip
+1/2 Paper Mario
+1/2 Chibi-Robo
+1/2 Baloon Fighter

-1 all 3rd parties. This is a nintendo game, only 2 3rd parties is fine. Also, legal risks.
-1 Krystal: 3 star fox characters is excessive, 4 would be inexcusable.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm just going to re-do my votes:
+1 Toad
+1 Ridley
+1 Sukapon
+1 Ray MK.
+1 Andy

+1/2 Skull Kid
+1/2 Tom Nook
+1/2 Isaac
+1/2 Lip
+1/2 Paper Mario
+1/2 Chibi-Robo

-1 all 3rd parties. This is a nintendo game, only 2 3rd parties is fine. Also, legal risks.
-1 Krystal: 3 star fox characters is excessive, 4 would be inexcusable.
I don't believe we are taking re-votes without an extremely reasonable explanation as to why you would like to change them.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't believe we are taking re-votes without an extremely reasonable explanation as to why you would like to change them.
Well, I've changed my mind on a lot of things. I used to support Black Shadow/Ganondorf, but now I think it'd be better to just give Ganondorf a stance change. I also like Andy a lot more now.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Oh, Joy Mech Fight.
There's no obvious option for JMF, so I went with the one I liked most, albeit rather odd. It's supposed to be the bird from the screen that celebrates victory over the first boss (which is a bird). I think of it like the Ice Climber Eggplant: Not really an essential logo, but rather a recognizable element from the early game.

Also can someone explain to me how/why sukapon is getting all these votes?
Basically, Sukapon is just a unique, appealing character in both design and gameplay possibilities. For more details, I have prepared a dossier.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If people can vote for Ganondorf having a sword, I demand cosmetic change to Ike.

+1/2 for Muscles

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
If people can vote for Ganondorf having a sword, I demand cosmetic change to Ike.
+1/2 for Muscles
Doesn't count, there are no muscles in brawl.

Oh, Joy Mech Fight.
There's no obvious option for JMF, so I went with the one I liked most, albeit rather odd. It's supposed to be the bird from the screen that celebrates victory over the first boss (which is a bird). I think of it like the Ice Climber Eggplant: Not really an essential logo, but rather a recognizable element from the early game.

Basically, Sukapon is just a unique, appealing character in both design and gameplay possibilities. For more details, I have prepared a dossier.
k ill take another look i guess

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Oh, Joy Mech Fight.
Interesting -- I don't remember that bird. It's been a while since I played, I might have to replay it soon :p

Also, do you have a collection of all your posts? Eventually that might help so that we can gather and link to them all in the OP

Last edited:

Cnip

Smash Rookie
Masked Man would probably be more different but also similar enough to be picked up easily. At first glance, MM as a character seemingly has more potential (Through his use of a sword, wings, cannon arm, etc.) but if Ninten uses support strategy (S/O to Shin) like the protagonists were intended to in the Mother games, he's just as unique.
+1 Ninten (Definitely like the idea of a strategic character who's viable in singles but excels in doubles. He can be given strong defensive options and healing)
+1 Masked Man (A mixture of the earthbound kids' and meta knight's movement can lead to some crazy mix ups. Plus utility with the gun arm and range with the sword)
+1 Dark Samus (A harder hitting, slower clone of Samus would be easier to implement than Ridley. It can have different movement options that correspond with it's original appearance's in the Metroid Series. Plus it would look less silly fighting Ridley in boss battles)
+1 Slippy (He can be the Dan to Fox's Ryu, Falco's Ken, and Wolf's Akuma)
+1 King K. Rool (More Heavy characters would be welcome. He can use an assortment of weapons and tools to trap and pressure from a distance and hit hard in close proximity)

+1/2 Isaac (His appearance as an assist trophy would seem strange and confusing. Besides that, he has potential for a great move set and popularity to be an agreeable choice.)
+1/2 Paper Mario (His series is so different from any other Mario game, that he wouldn't even need many of Mario's game play aspects. I'm sure that the PMBR can capture the charm of paper mario and give him tools to deal with the rest of the cast that correspond with aspects of Paper Mario's own play style in his original games)

-1 All 3rd party characters (There are enough popular Nintendo characters not getting into smash. Why give any of the limited number of spots to a guest and risk a lawsuit?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom