• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'm back, to promote son. I've spoiled the Masked Man move set by Mowg and myself.

Masked Man

Tilts

nuetral A
: Use his cannon-arm. He´ll extend his cannon-arm at the opponent like it´s a jab. Think like Ganon´s jab. But you can hold the A button and it will become a flurry-jab. Zapzapzap. Use discretion on the hitbox size, have it be bigger for the single jab and smaller for the flurryjab, and have an animation where he brings his arm back when the jab finishes, with a hurtbox that knocks the foe back, like Bowser´s nuetral-special.

F-tilt: Swing the sword vertically from down to up, like Marth´s. This move should be a bread and butter combo starter, more than for fending off foes. Have an electric sweetspot on the sword. Either tip like Marth or at the handle like Ike, depending on hitbox size.

D-tilt: Possibly a good edge-guard tool, but not too good. Use sword like Ike´s d-tilt, a swat motion, not a poke like Marth, Roy and MK. Avoid it being a poker like Lucas and Ness, make it pop the opponent up.
OR: make it PK Earth. Make it a blast from his cannon-arm that could look like ZSS´s D-smash.
OR: make it a reliable defense and kill move like G&W´s D-tilt. A little quake animation on the ground in front of the Masked Man, where his cannon arm would point, will give the visual cue.

Up-tilt: His attack would involve sword-play. The one and two hit´s will be signified by crackling electricity sounds, or thunder. So it´s not like he´s swinging the sword as much as he´s really using the sword as a weapon channeling lightening. If you think of G&W´s Up-tilt that would give you a good visual. It should be around the same speed too, or a little faster.

Smashes

Up-smash
: Works with him releasing very short range flames from his cannon arm as he moves it above his head in an arch fashion (from side to side once). This attack has it’s disadvantages considering range, but if used to successfully trap an opponent it would rack up damage quickly.

Over-smash: Masked Man swings his sword. (Already included on PM 3.0’s Lucas alt.) But quicker and with slightly less knockback.

Down-smash: would be great as PK, Freeze dealing damage and throwing the frozen opponent to the side. Freeze should allow for quick follow up moves, as well as an opening to utilize the infamous PK Magnet. (Which you'll find detailed further into this set)

Specials:

D-Special: Magnet. Ness and Lucas´ magnets seem to reflect their personalities. Lucas is more prone to perceiving the causes of his conflicts as being outside himself, while Ness is more introspective in his nature. Thus, the positioning of their magnets. Masked Man is going to put his magnet wherever he pleases. He believes that he´s cold and invulnerable after all...

His magnet can be placed on the stage and on opponents. The Magnet will give homing qualitites to his otherwise cumbersome and inaccurate PK Thunder and PK Love attacks. He can not use it as a shine. If it´s placed on the stage, basically wherever it can be laid on the stage. It doesn´t do damage while it´s out there; but it could do some neat non-offensive stage control like pushing the opponent, annoying them, or some unpredictable gimps when dropped off-stage. Footstool-projectile?
OR: when the opponent touches the magnet, it sticks to him. Should of watched where you´re going, buddy.

The magnet when in use should glow blue, fading in and out of sight, having no clear form other than the light fading on and off. In a way it´s easier to avoid then the little black tick that is Snake´s C-4 projectile. The magnet cannot be moved once it´s placed but it can be destroyed with any attack other than neutral A. It should have the lifespan as long as R.O.B.´s D-Special projectile.

When stuck on his opponents, the Masked Man has a lot of help in aiming his special moves. How well this mechanic will work, how unfair it might be to the opponent, etc., is what I leave the developers to find out. Masked Man should not be able to get stuck with his own magnet, and I think the magnet should disappear when Masked Man loses a stock. The magnet should disappear after being hit by one full PK Thunder or PK Love.

The magnet is the stage lighting for the malevolent Opera that is Masked Man. One you have it placed, other specials can be used more accurately. Paired with the speedy nature of PK Kids, MM is sure to bring some interesting plays to the table.

Side-Special: PK Thunder. Everybody loves Sith-lightening. The move should have a pretty decent range, like 1/5 of the length of Final Destination for a reference. Maybe that´s too much or too little. It should have a slow start-up, a tiny bit slower than Ike´s F-smash. To describe the hitbox: give it multi-hit properties like Mewtwo´s Neutral-air, but extended in front of Masked Man and on his head and upper body. Not behind him. The move should push the opponent forward but should by no means kill except maybe past 200%. The move should be used for racking up damage and in tandem with the placed Magnet for a satisfying set-up. If every hit catches you could rack up 22-24% damage. The lightening should not be the hardest thing to DI out of, but not the easiest either. It should be guaranteed at least 20% damage if PK Thunder hits the opponent when it´s used in tandem with the Magnet.

Up-Special:We've developed the idea of giving Masked Man barbed wings with hurtboxes. Mewtwo´s floating and Pit´s old Up-Special properties come to mind. For me it´s more Pit´s Up-Special. Let him attack out of it. It shouldn´t put him in the helpless state when it ends.

Neutral-Special: PK Love. Take inspiration from Ness´ old PK Flash, Zelda´s P:M Side-special, and Snake´s Up-smash. The move should put Masked Man in a state like when Ness uses PK Thunder or PK Flash, he´s pretty much helpless. The move would shoot 3 Psychic projectiles that could shoot rapidly or more delayed depending on the timing that the player decides to input the move. The projectiles should shoot up and at an arc that could be controlled by the control stick. It´s hard to control these, because you are controlling 3 at once. They should be harder to control than Din´s fire. The move is not precise without the Magnet.

After 3 seconds the projectiles can no longer be moved with the control stick and Masked Man snaps out of his concentration state, and can now move around and fight. You could manually input so that you shoot only one quickly while in the fray or two and three when you have extra time to set up something. The PK Love zingies will hang out there, like Din´s Fire, but with a timer. You could also press Neutral-special again, like Snake´s C-4 to detonate them manually. This does more damage than if they are simply touched by the opponent.

Final Smash: PK Saanda, named after PK Thunder's Japanese translation is a support-based electric Final Smash. It draws inspiration from the last Masked Man encounter in Mother 3, at which point Masked Man uses a PK Thunder powerful enough to wipe out Lucas's entire party. So, Masked Man stops where he is and goes into an invincible, paralyzed state (Similar to PK Starstorm) and summons a flash of lightning. The flash does decent damage, and temporarily paralyzes players. (Think Peach) This gives him time to finish off opponents with smash attacks, and place a magnet where it is best suited. I'd also like to note that in Mother 3 when the party is wiped, Lucas's Franklin Badge deflects the lightning allowing him to stay conscious. So, if a player is wearing a Franklin Badge during the Final Smash, they will take damage and be hit with decent knockback, but paralysis will not be a problem for them.

Masked Man has a lot of potential through his many utilities. He should be familiar in the sense that he moves similarly to Ness/Lucas (DJC included) but different enough to develop his own varied metagame. Our basis is that Masked Man's tilts focus on quick aggression, while his specials rely on his supportive d-special. But once setup, they're very effective.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Okay so instead of another sword based FE character. Why don't we add in Ephraim?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Okay so instead of another sword based FE character. Why don't we add in Ephraim?
I don't know why. You should tell us why we should want Ephraim, other than his weapon. That would be a better approach than asking us about a character that some of us are unfamiliar with.

As a side note, I honestly don't see him making it any further than Hector did.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Well for one, he has a spear, and GREEN hair. So that's like huge character relevance points.

Move set wise I mean, you could do quite a bit with him, although a spear I think would be a little weird to work with. But we could also add dragoon-esque moves to him

I could see him having a spear spin/flourish as his neutral B, which could reflect projectiles. His down B/up B could be a dragoon leap, and when he lands he has a big shockwave and low recovery time so it'd be relatively safe, but with the drawback of having low horizontal trajectory

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well for one, he has a spear, and GREEN hair. So that's like huge character relevance points.
Less important than the impact the character left on the series. Is he popular? Is he important? If he isn't both of these things, than he immediately will mean nothing.

Move set wise I mean, you could do quite a bit with him, although a spear I think would be a little weird to work with. But we could also add dragoon-esque moves to him

I could see him having a spear spin/flourish as his neutral B, which could reflect projectiles. His down B/up B could be a dragoon leap, and when he lands he has a big shockwave and low recovery time so it'd be relatively safe, but with the drawback of having low horizontal trajectory

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

GREEN HAIR? I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS EXCITED SINCE I FOUND OUT ROY'S HAIR IS RED.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

His hair isn't green. It's teal/cyan. LYN has green hair.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
If I could have anyone with green hair from Fire Emblem I'd probably chose Tiki, but Lyn is a close second.
Tiki would have to be in Mamkute form though as that's the only form she fights in, and that would just be overpowered... not to mention you wouldn't see her green hair (or what most people would want, her womanly figure)

On another note: I updated the OP. Thanks a lot to all the guys who helped clean it up! (They're all listed in the first paragraph)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If I could have anyone with green hair from Fire Emblem I'd probably chose Tiki, but Lyn is a close second.
Tiki would have to be in Mamkute form though as that's the only form she fights in, and that would just be overpowered... not to mention you wouldn't see her green hair (or what most people would want, her womanly figure)

On another note: I updated the OP. Thanks a lot to all the guys who helped clean it up! (They're all listed in the first paragraph)
Having never played Fire Emblem and having very little knowledge of the game series, Tiki was one of the few characters I actually really liked from that series visually. Stereotypes of oversexualization and stuff aside, I really found her design to be one of the most appealing in the series.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Well, you could have her function with some of her Awakening skills as a mage. She could be a clone of Zelda and be able to transform into her Manakete/Mamukuto form at will.

Sadly, she isn't even eligible since she didn't appear in Brawl in any shape or form. Another character to put in the "Vaati" pile I guess T_T

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Having never played Fire Emblem and having very little knowledge of the game series, Tiki was one of the few characters I actually really liked from that series visually. Stereotypes of oversexualization and stuff aside, I really found her design to be one of the most appealing in the series.
Not Anna?

If only she was eligible, she'd be one of my top candidates, easily, as she's the true FE mascot.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, you could have her function with some of her Awakening skills as a mage. She could be a clone of Zelda and be able to transform into her Manakete/Mamukuto form at will.

Sadly, she isn't even eligible since she didn't appear in Brawl in any shape or form. Another character to put in the "Vaati" pile I guess T_T
And thus the Vaati pile is now a thing. Also, I find it ironic how Vaati is one of the most brought up characters from the ineligible list.

Not Anna?

If only she was eligible, she'd be one of my top candidates, easily, as she's the true FE mascot.
I did say one of the most. Anna is my top favorite honestly. Hands down, no arguments.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

There's still plenty of green-haired badassery in FE.
I think we've met our quota on males from Fire Emblem. Unfortunately, all the female characters I would have voted on are ineligible. I'll settle with Lyn though. Especially if that means her Awakening look is an alt.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
A possibility you say? tell me more
Well c'mon man

If you're suggesting the Chorus Men as a character, you've most likely heard of the Sal Romano leak. Otherwise few people would think to want them.

If you want a musically-oriented character in Project M, though, you can still rally behind Jimmy T.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well c'mon man

If you're suggesting the Chorus Men as a character, you've most likely heard of the Sal Romano leak. Otherwise few people would think to want them.

If you want a musically-oriented character in Project M, though, you can still rally behind Jimmy T.
All of my HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

D

Deleted member

Yeh boi, it's votin' time.
+1 Toad (Not blue, just make Peach's Toad blue)
+1 King K. Rool
+1/2 Black Shadow/Ganondorf

Last edited by a moderator:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Would it be possible to add into the OP the list of discussed characters that aren't eligible and have been, as it was put a few pages ago, "Vaati'd"?

The list would include Vaati (obviously, as the namesake for the aforementioned expression), Captain Syrup, Medusa, Anna, Impa, Chorus Men, and a few others I know I'm forgetting. It would help people who read the OP to avoid suggesting characters that have been brought up already that we know aren't eligible.

Oh, and +1/2 Jimmy T. (can't believe I forgot this one, but dancing is cool, would provide an interesting mvoeset)

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I think after just completing a major overall of the OP we'd like to leave it as is for a little bit. Take a little break.

By the way, that's a hint to those who haven't seen it yet, but the OP has now been updated for a smoother reading experience. Hope you guys all like the work Anti Guy, Shin F., Solbliminal, Friesnchip, and I put into it!

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord

A lot of pictures of this from a ton of different angles have been taken.
And it's not hard to infer that Ridley could be next to Pit on the left based on what we know.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

A lot of pictures of this from a ton of different angles have been taken.
And it's not hard to infer that Ridley could be next to Pit on the left based on what we know.
Ah yes, I saw that earlier today.

If he's in and that means he won't be in Project M, so be it. Not only is Dark Samus a good enough replacement but since the roster will be revealed in its entirety very soon, I think the PMBR--and, by extension, the rest of us--can afford to wait to know it before attempting to add any characters to avoid legal trouble.

In the meantime this thread could act as a popularity poll for the PMBR to look at after Sm4sh finally comes out and we know who we absolutely cannot put into Project M. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

...and besides, the PMBR said that if they release a new character before Smash 4 does, they won't scrap him / her. Which is their justification for Mewtwo and Roy.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
A possibility of 51 characters, damn that's a lot for a game looking to trim the fat. Not that I'm complaining, looking forward to it actually.

Here is the post in the Ridley thread that really supports that slot next to Pit being Ridley:

The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - RidleyTalk

But other than that, lets leave S4 leaks/rumors for other threads besides the PM clone engine thread.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think it might be fake. Looking at this:
Why would all of the character select spots at the bottom be labelled '3'? Shouldn't they be 1, 2, 3, and 4? And you could mock this up and put it on a tv, then take a photo easily, especially considering that every character is one that's already been revealed and has art.

Edit: But I agree, we should keep it out of this thread.

Last edited:

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Why would all of the character select spots at the bottom be labelled '3'? Shouldn't they be 1, 2, 3, and 4? And you could mock this up and put it on a tv, then take a photo easily, especially considering that every character is one that's already been revealed and has art.

The 3's are the CPU level, now back to PM.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Well, they're gray, so the 3's could be the CPU levels since CPUs are gray when they're selected.

Edit: Greninja'd

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If that is certainly a true leak, I'm quite surprised to see the lack of Wario series, Kirby series, and Zelda series characters in Smash 4. After that Rosalina reveal, I certainly thought they would do more for those series too. It also looks like we will be getting Dixie or K. Rool for sure. I wouldn't confirm Ridley just yet, but it certainly looks like A Metroid character is getting in. And a lot of those blank spaces make me very anxious for returning vets and new comers.

Just wanted to get my thoughts out before this topic dropped.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
So I've read over the proposed Ninten moveset ... but Ninten doesn't use a Yo-yo ... he uses a Baseball Bat or a Slingshot/Boomerang. The Yo-yo wasn't introduced until Mother 2/Earthbound, wasn't it?

On that note, if we really wanted a Mother 1 rep, maybe we should be considering Ana instead, she kicks quite a lot of ass, moreso than Ninten since she has access to the lion's share of PSI in the game, with a few notable exceptions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom