• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bambi_

King of the Forest
Oh I guess I could do the voting thing while we're at it, huh.

+1
The bae: Pichu :pichumelee:
Chibi-Robo

+1/2
Waluigi
Paper Mario (oh boy let's have more Mario characters am I right but I really like that game so uuh)
Ridley
Shadow

Pokemon Trainer

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Toad-Being a move in the game already make it seem weird, and Toad just isn't that likable
While it definitely seems weird to have Toad playable at the same time as being a move in-game, he certainly isn't unlikable. He's been playable in a few Mario games that are not the party-like ones, like Super Mario Bros 2, 3D World, New Super Mario Bros (Both Wii and Wii U), as well as getting his own spinoff game with Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. He's certainly more publicly appreciated than characters like Waluigi and Birdo, and constantly fights Bowser Jr. in the polls for favorite Mario rep newcomer.

Not arguing, just fact-informing.
Pokemon Trainer
Just a friendly reminder, Ryxis, the poll does state your -1 votes do not count unless you give a reason why you have downvoted them.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
-1 votes
Hector- The AXE doesn't feel just a justification for making a character without even a model or a moveset to work off of
Well, I may as well give one go at trying to justify him.

I can't speak for everyone, but frankly? The axe is only incidental to how his fighting style is displayed. Not a single character in game or listed here has the gusto that Hector is animated as having in game. He wields the largest axes with more ease than Ike does Ragnell, and he regularly leaps up to deliver a crushing blow as his standard attack unpromoted. In short, he is berserk, plain and simple.

I don't want to "volunteer" how the team would craft him, but an easy bet is to just make it so that he is in your face in a way that even Ganondorf could only dream of. I imagine surprisingly mobile and with a particularly large degree of armor, but perhaps prone to quite a bit of recovery at the end of his moves if he misses (he IS described as swinging with seemingly reckless abandon...) In general, he should have some of the least worries about getting to someone... its getting them to respect his really ferocious options that will cause him issues.

As far as attacks, obviously wild axe swings would be what to look for first, but he is noted as being large and sturdy, and capable of pushing himself physically beyond most anyone else. Its not hard to imagine him having some quick but potent jabs and swings, an frankly I bet you could justify him having some fierce command grabs if you wanted. Hell, I bet you could sell him as grappling. Also, since we seem to like exploring elemental options for FE characters, he has a large association with Thunder, being his affinity and that of his axe Armads, and his loud presence and sudden fits of rage feed into that. I also could see him doing that thing where you swing so fierce that the air becomes a kind of razor.

In the end, I would like to reiterate: The PMBR would know how to make it work. I really think there should be no doubts about this. But if you want an idea of the most probable approach, the word reckless could not be any more appropriate if it tried.

If that doesn't sell it... well then screw it, I tried. :p

+1/2 for Eggman as a faster sonic.

You know you want that.
You know, Sonic has NEVER actually been able to catch him in a footrace, to my knowledge...

Last edited:

Qispichiq

Smash Cadet
An Abandoned Communist Party HQ in Bulgaria
NNID
Vatgas
While it definitely seems weird to have Toad playable at the same time as being a move in-game, he certainly isn't unlikable. He's been playable in a few Mario games that are not the party-like ones, like Super Mario Bros 2, 3D World, New Super Mario Bros (Both Wii and Wii U), as well as getting his own spinoff game with Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. He's certainly more publicly appreciated than characters like Waluigi and Birdo, and constantly fights Bowser Jr. in the polls for favorite Mario rep newcomer.

Not arguing, just fact-informing.
I was stating my personal opinion :p I could see him but I just don't think he's the best use I don't really like him as anything more then a side character. I guess I should have used a better word

Qispichiq

Smash Cadet
An Abandoned Communist Party HQ in Bulgaria
NNID
Vatgas
Well, I may as well give one go at trying to justify him.

I can't speak for everyone, but frankly? The axe is only incidental to how his fighting style is displayed. Not a single character in game or listed here has the gusto that Hector is animated as having in game. He wields the largest axes with more ease than Ike does Ragnell, and he regularly leaps up to deliver a crushing blow as his standard attack unpromoted. In short, he is berserk, plain and simple.

I don't want to "volunteer" how the team would craft him, but an easy bet is to just make it so that he is in your face in a way that even Ganondorf could only dream of. I imagine surprisingly mobile and with a particularly large degree of armor, but perhaps prone to quite a bit of recovery at the end of his moves if he misses (he IS described as swinging with seemingly reckless abandon...) In general, he should have some of the least worries about getting to someone... its getting them to respect his really ferocious options that will cause him issues.

As far as attacks, obviously wild axe swings would be what to look for first, but he is noted as being large and sturdy, and capable of pushing himself physically beyond most anyone else. Its not hard to imagine him having some quick but potent jabs and swings, an frankly I bet you could justify him having some fierce command grabs if you wanted. Hell, I bet you could sell him as grappling. Also, since we seem to like exploring elemental options for FE characters, he has a large association with Thunder, being his affinity and that of his axe Armads, and his loud presence and sudden fits of rage feed into that. I also could see him doing that thing where you swing so fierce that the air becomes a kind of razor.

In the end, I would like to reiterate: The PMBR would know how to make it work. I really think there should be no doubts about this. But if you want an idea of the most probable approach, the word reckless could not be any more appropriate if it tried.

If that doesn't sell it... well then screw it, I tried. :p
You actually sold it to me, but I think it I can't change votes, I probably wouldn't upvote him because I think he's too obscure, but I think I wouldn't mind him taking the slot

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
You actually sold it to me, but I think it I can't change votes, I probably wouldn't upvote him because I think he's too obscure, but I think I wouldn't mind him taking the slot
The only votes you can't change are your upvotes, 1/2 votes and downvotes you can change around all you want.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
No idea if I've voted yet or not, if I voted at all, it probably was months ago and I have since forgotten. Let me know if I did it already though.

+1 Dixie Kong (A cross between DK and Diddy in ways, probably slightly slower than Diddy but with DK's massive grab range with that hair.)
+1 Knuckles (What can I say? A small and speedy power character with a glide would be fun and I do love me some Knux.)
+1 Ray (Seems like he'd be more of a ranged and mobile ROBish type, could be fun)
+1 Issac (Golden Sun really needs a rep and he'd be perfect, I really have no compelling reasons, battle wise.)
Not really sure who to use my last vote on, no one else really calls to me.

+.5 Andy
+.5 Saki
+.5 Sami

They're from un-repped games, but I don't feel strongly enough to give them higher votes.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
No idea if I've voted yet or not, if I voted at all, it probably was months ago and I have since forgotten. Let me know if I did it already though.

+1 Dixie Kong (A cross between DK and Diddy in ways, probably slightly slower than Diddy but with DK's massive grab range with that hair.)
+1 Knuckles (What can I say? A small and speedy power character with a glide would be fun and I do love me some Knux.)
+1 Ray (Seems like he'd be more of a ranged and mobile ROBish type, could be fun)
+1 Issac (Golden Sun really needs a rep and he'd be perfect, I really have no compelling reasons, battle wise.)
Not really sure who to use my last vote on, no one else really calls to me.

+.5 Andy
+.5 Saku
+.5 Sami

They're from un-repped games, but I don't feel strongly enough to give them higher votes.
Who's Saku? Do you mean Saki, the Sin and Punishment guy?

abra-ca-awesome

Smash Cadet
+1
Ridley: Any Smash Bros. game shines in its inclusion of villains. Seriously, as much as we consider Smash a fighting game at heart (which it certainly is), it's also meant to be a celebration of Nintendo icons and franchises, and the struggles and triumphs those games have provided us over the years. Mario and Bowser, Link and Ganon(dorf), Kirby and King Dedede/Meta Knight. Given the Metroid series and its longevity in the Nintendo lineup, I think Samus is due for her own matchup in Smash, and Ridley's historical rivalry with Samus would be perfect to showcase in Project M. Not to mention, members of this community have already provided a wide array of moveset ideas that could make the big lug his own unique fighter, not just a Charizard clone.

Ray from Custom Robo: A seriously cool-looking character with a huge pool of projectiles and aerial manuevers to choose from. Plus, Custom Robo is fun as heck, and I'd love another opportunity to pilot a Ray in combat.

Sukapon: Who DOESN'T want to play as an unpredictable bubblegum-blob mech who twirls his way to success and throws his own head in combat? Also, looking at the current point spread of retro fighters (poor Takamaru ;_;) compels me to give this leader of the pack as much a chance as he can get.

King K. Rool: Going back to the villains point, it's easy for me to endorse K. Rool as a Project M fighter solely on his iconic clash with DK. But beyond that, K. Rool is so perfect as a big bad boss villain. He's loud, he's full of himself, and he displays his unabashed love of dress-up with style. He moves with a bouncy energy that not a lot of characters have, especially villains. Not to mention, he's a heavyweight, a class of character Smash is lacking, and his multiple appearances provide a huge set of moves to choose from. In short, the King of Kremlings has so much to offer that it'd be a krime not to inklude...er, include him.

+1/2
Waluigi: On the fence, but there's something so strangely fascinating about this lanky wiggly weird man to give him a tentative thumbs up from me.
Bowser Jr.: Also iffy, especially given how the Mario franchise is already well-represented, but the spawn of King Koopa could definitely have a unique place in the roster, especially if incoporating his Shadow Mario trickery
Toad: I don't know if he's worthy of his own slot, but I imagine Smashboards members/the PMBR could find a way to make him work
Dark Samus: On the negatives: definitely think Ridley deserves a spot more than Dark Samus. On the plusses: SO FREAKIN COOL AHHHH A FLOATIER SAMUS WITH DARK ENERGY OOZING OUT OF EVERY PORE YES PLS
Masked Man: If Earthbound gets another newcomer, I think Masked Man and his place in the series fits best. Just not sure that Earthbound NEEDS that third character.
Sami: Advance Wars rep + female + confident and outspoken fighting spirit + huge arsenal of potential moves = AWESOME
Andy: Would rather have Sami as a rep, but I'm sure Andy could work with wrench-based shenanigans.
Issac: Oof, this is tough. First of all, I must admit I haven't played too much Golden Sun, so I'm sure the full upvotes Issac has received from GS fans are well-deserved. Here's my two cents: as someone who represents the proportion of gamers who haven't really gotten into Golden Sun, I don't see Issac's place in Nintendo history as clearly as those who have. Hence, the half-vote. I do think that there's a buttload of potential in a magical swordsman, though, and I'm sure his popularity is warranted.

Lyn: As much as I think Smash needs more female representation (it REALLY does), I don't think FE is deserving of a fourth slot in PM, especially over other franchises with less (Metroid, DK, etc).
Shadow/Tails/Knuckles: Don't think a third-party should have more than one rep in a Smash game, especially from the same franchise as one already included. Outside of making Shadow an alt costume, I don't think devoting a slot to another Sonic character is worthwhile to a Nintendo game.

Keep in mind, all my non-third-party related 1/2 or -1 votes are pretty flexible, so I'd love to hear outside opinions on these choices. I've deliberately saved a full upvote so I can take some time to think through a worthy nominee. Also, if you actually read all this, thank you! ^_^ Shooting the breeze about Smash is always fun.

Last edited:

Master-GM

Smash Journeyman
+1
Ridley: Any Smash Bros. game shines in its inclusion of villains. Seriously, as much as we consider Smash a fighting game at heart (which it certainly is), it's also meant to be a celebration of Nintendo icons and franchises, and the struggles and triumphs those games have provided us over the years. Mario and Bowser, Link and Ganon(dorf), Kirby and King Dedede/Meta Knight. Given the Metroid series and its longevity in the Nintendo lineup, I think Samus is due for her own matchup in Smash, and Ridley's historical rivalry with Samus would be perfect to showcase in Project M. Not to mention, members of this community have already provided a wide array of moveset ideas that could make the big lug his own unique fighter, not just a Charizard clone.

Ray from Custom Robo: A seriously cool-looking character with a huge pool of projectiles and aerial manuevers to choose from. Plus, Custom Robo is fun as heck, and I'd love another opportunity to pilot a Ray in combat.

Sukapon: Who DOESN'T want to play as an unpredictable bubblegum-blob mech who twirls his way to success and throws his own head in combat? Also, looking at the current point spread of retro fighters (poor Takamaru ;_;) compels me to give this leader of the pack as much a chance as he can get.

King K. Rool: Going back to the villains point, it's easy for me to endorse K. Rool as a Project M fighter solely on his iconic clash with DK. But beyond that, K. Rool is so perfect as a big bad boss villain. He's loud, he's full of himself, and he displays his unabashed love of dress-up with style. He moves with a bouncy energy that not a lot of characters have, especially villains. Not to mention, he's a heavyweight, a class of character Smash is lacking, and his multiple appearances provide a huge set of moves to choose from. In short, the King of Kremlings has so much to offer that it'd be a krime not to inklude...er, include him.

Shadow: What can I say? He is by FAR the deepest video-game character. He would have AMAZING gameplay. He is also, so badass.

+1/2
Waluigi: On the fence, but there's something so strangely fascinating about this lanky wiggly weird man to give him a tentative thumbs up from me.
Bowser Jr.: Also iffy, especially given how the Mario franchise is already well-represented, but the spawn of King Koopa could definitely have a unique place in the roster, especially if incoporating his Shadow Mario trickery
Toad: I don't know if he's worthy of his own slot, but I imagine Smashboards members/the PMBR could find a way to make him work
Dark Samus: On the negatives: definitely think Ridley deserves a spot more than Dark Samus. On the plusses: SO FREAKIN COOL AHHHH A FLOATIER SAMUS WITH DARK ENERGY OOZING OUT OF EVERY PORE YES PLS
Masked Man: If Earthbound gets another newcomer, I think Masked Man and his place in the series fits best. Just not sure that Earthbound NEEDS that third character.
Sami: Advance Wars rep + female + confident and outspoken fighting spirit + huge arsenal of potential moves = AWESOME
Andy: Would rather have Sami as a rep, but I'm sure Andy could work with wrench-based shenanigans.
Issac: Oof, this is tough. First of all, I must admit I haven't played too much Golden Sun, so I'm sure the full upvotes Issac has received from GS fans are well-deserved. Here's my two cents: as someone who represents the proportion of gamers who haven't really gotten into Golden Sun, I don't see Issac's place in Nintendo history as clearly as those who have. Hence, the half-vote. I do think that there's a buttload of potential in a magical swordsman, though, and I'm sure his popularity is warranted.

Lyn: As much as I think Smash needs more female representation (it REALLY does), I don't think FE is deserving of a fourth slot in PM, especially over other franchises with less (Metroid, DK, etc).
Tails/Knuckles: Don't think a third-party should have more than one rep in a Smash game, especially from the same franchise as one already included. I don't think devoting a slot to another Sonic character is worthwhile to a Nintendo game.

Keep in mind, all my non-third-party related 1/2 or -1 votes are pretty flexible, so I'd love to hear outside opinions on these choices. I've deliberately saved a full upvote so I can take some time to think through a worthy nominee. Also, if you actually read all this, thank you! ^_^ Shooting the breeze about Smash is always fun.
Fixed.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
+1/2
I would like to point out that it is very contradicting to say that Fire Emblem doesn't deserve another character, then turn around and vote for characters in an over saturated franchise like Mario. Especially when you bring up the point:

...especially over other franchises with less...
You even brought up the point in your half-vote for Bowser Jr. So it is hardly justifiable to claim she deserves the slot any less than those characters, given Mario has the most solid representation it could possibly get for Brawl. I'm not trying to nitpick your choices, but at least be honest with your votes. It is okay to have opinions about who you do and do not like.

abra-ca-awesome

Smash Cadet
I would like to point out that it is very contradicting to say that Fire Emblem doesn't deserve another character, then turn around and vote for characters in an over saturated franchise like Mario. Especially when you bring up the point:

You even brought up the point in your half-vote for Bowser Jr. So it is hardly justifiable to claim she deserves the slot any less than those characters, given Mario has the most solid representation it could possibly get for Brawl. I'm not trying to nitpick your choices, but at least be honest with your votes. It is okay to have opinions about who you do and do not like.
Definitely! And I'd hope that my posting here is interpreted as just opinion. After all, this is just speculative discussion, not fact-based. Just my viewpoint that a franchise such as Fire Emblem, while no doubt popular, isn't as emblematic of Nintendo as a whole as ones like Mario, Metroid, and Donkey Kong. May FE fans have mercy on my soul ;)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Definitely! And I'd hope that my posting here is interpreted as just opinion. After all, this is just speculative discussion, not fact-based. Just my viewpoint that a franchise such as Fire Emblem, while no doubt popular, isn't as emblematic of Nintendo as a whole as ones like Mario, Metroid, and Donkey Kong. May FE fans have mercy on my soul ;)
Regardless of having an opinion, contradiction is still a thing. While you are certainly right about Mario, Metroid, and DK being undoubtedly more popular than Fire Emblem, you've already made the point that Mario is well-represented. You can't make that claim and use it as your reason to down-vote another character when you are clearly okay with it in another character's case.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Hmm, I'd have to say that FE's fanbase has grown larger than Metroid's as of late, but I would have taken that reasoning anytime before Awakening's release without a second thought. PoR and RD were a major breakthrough here in the west, but Fire Emblem wasn't particularly big until just recently. It's the reason the Heroes of Light and Shadow remake for the DS never made it over here even though Shadow Dragon did.

Personally, I only question Lyn getting one of the seven clone engine slots because Roy already took one. 2 of 7 going to FE does seem a little biased, but she has such strong potential that I don't really care tbh. Not to mention the obligatory reasoning that she'd be a new female rep.

abra-ca-awesome

Smash Cadet
Regardless of having an opinion, contradiction is still a thing. While you are certainly right about Mario, Metroid, and DK being undoubtedly more popular than Fire Emblem, you've already made the point that Mario is well-represented. You can't make that claim and use it as your reason to down-vote another character when you are clearly okay with it in another character's case.
My saying that the Mario franchise is well-represented doesn't mean I think there's a finite amount of characters that the franchise should or shouldn't have, especially if said character brings something new to the table. After all, Smash 4: The Smashening adds another spot for Rosalina, and I think she definitely merits it. Perhaps a better way of wording it would be: "There are quite a few Mario reps as is, but Waluigi/Bowser Jr. both possess unique traits and styles of movement that I think could benefit PM." Without being as acquainted with FE as others, and given the limited number of clone slots that we have to work with, I see that the possibility of a new Mario rep outweighs adding another FE rep, like JCOnyx mentions above.
But of course, I'm a bit of an FE noob. Do you have any particular views on Lyn that you think favorably tip her scales?

abra-ca-awesome

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I'd have to say that FE's fanbase has grown larger than Metroid's as of late, but I would have taken that reasoning anytime before Awakening's release without a second thought. PoR and RD were a major breakthrough here in the west, but Fire Emblem wasn't particularly big until just recently. It's the reason the Heroes of Light and Shadow remake for the DS never made it over here even though Shadow Dragon did.

Personally, I only question Lyn getting one of the seven clone engine slots because Roy already took one. 2 of 7 going to FE does seem a little biased, but she has such strong potential that I don't really care tbh. Not to mention the obligatory reasoning that she'd be a new female rep.
Very true, FE's exploded recently. I guess I'm looking through nostalgia goggles when looking at the roster as a whole, but I can count on one finger the last good Metroid game I played in five+ years.

Shin F.

Smash Master

Metroid has been a stronger series for a much longer period of time, though. Even though Fire Emblem is very slightly more popular now, Metroid has had far more impact on Nintendo's history. Awakening only just barely beat out Other M in sales, but then again, that was one of Metroid's least well-received games vs one of Fire Emblem's best. Awakening is the only Fire Emblem game to have broken a million sales, while only four Metroid games have ever fallen short of that number and a couple even made it to 2 million.

I mean, Wii Sports outsold Super Mario Bros, but that doesn't mean Mario's overall less popular than the Wii series. You know?
Am I the only one to think Metroid/Kid Icarus needs another rep?
Metroid, most people think needs another. Kid Icarus, not to me. (In any case, there aren't any good KI candidates that we're sure are eligible - just Eggplant Wizard and Reaper.)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
What about Palutena and Medusa!?
Gotta read the rules a bit better, my friend. Smash 4 Newcomers are off-limits, so Palutena's an automatic no.

Medusa is uncertain because she's not a trophy or sticker in Brawl, which you have to be in order to be eligible. She does appear in the Kid Icarus demo in Masterpieces, but we don't know if that counts so we can't take votes for her unless PMBR says it does.

Last edited:

Master-GM

Smash Journeyman
Gotta read the rules a bit better, my friend. Smash 4 Newcomers are off-limits, so Palutena's an automatic no. Medusa is uncertain because she's not a trophy or sticker in Brawl, which you have to be in order to be eligible. She does appear in the Kid Icarus demo in Masterpieces, but we don't know if that counts so we can't take votes for her unless PMBR says it does.
I forgot Palutena was in SM4SH. :sadsheep: I'm pretty sure Medusa is a candidate because of the demo. :yeahboi:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
My saying that the Mario franchise is well-represented doesn't mean I think there's a finite amount of characters that the franchise should or shouldn't have, especially if said character brings something new to the table. After all, Smash 4: The Smashening adds another spot for Rosalina, and I think she definitely merits it. Perhaps a better way of wording it would be: "There are quite a few Mario reps as is, but Waluigi/Bowser Jr. both possess unique traits and styles of movement that I think could benefit PM." Without being as acquainted with FE as others, and given the limited number of clone slots that we have to work with, I see that the possibility of a new Mario rep outweighs adding another FE rep, like JCOnyx mentions above.
But of course, I'm a bit of an FE noob. Do you have any particular views on Lyn that you think favorably tip her scales?
Have you read ManlySpirit's post on Lyn and her moveset potential yet? Here's a link to it in case you don't want to go back to the OP to find it. Might change your stance on her character.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My saying that the Mario franchise is well-represented doesn't mean I think there's a infinite amount of characters that the franchise should or shouldn't have, especially if said character brings something new to the table.
So you down-voted Lyn for no reason then.

Edit: Just as an FYI. Despite Roy being one of my mains, I've never played Fire Emblem nor do I have any bias towards or against it.

Last edited:

abra-ca-awesome

Smash Cadet
So you down-voted Lyn for no reason then.
"Without being as acquainted with FE as others, and given the limited number of clone slots that we have to work with, I see that the possibility of a new Mario rep (or most other franchises) outweighs adding another FE rep"
If you have an opinion contrary to what I have, you're more than welcome to share it! But nitpicking apart mine doesn't serve any purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom