• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, might as well vote myself?

+1

- Hector. I know this will never go anywhere, but for the most part the actual favorites seem to have been established, so I may as well vote what I like knowing I won't be rocking any boats here. But yeah, Hector is my favorite FE lord bar none. A one-man army berserker who'd do anything for friends? Yes please. It would actually be extremely interesting to see how the PM:BR would go about him, as well. Extrapolating moves, and deciding between Wolf Beil and Armads. The choices! Maybe could even play up hand axes.

- Black Shadow/Ganondorf. You know, it some ways I -don't- want this; I do love the image of Ganondorf smashing someone's face with his elbow. That said, I AM sympathetic to the fact that to many, this doesn't really seem to capture the character from the home series, although its not like him smashing someone is out of the question given his personality in strength. Furthermore, I'd be really interested in seeing a "Canondorf" set, hopefully still more in your face than, say, Zelda, but with all the bells and whistles that come from being the King of Thieves. Meanwhile the playstyle I like is there, and I bet I could get behind Black Shadow's appearance with time. So over all... yeah, I am for this.

- Isaac. The sheer pro side of this character justifies him to me. I know many people who love that series, plus his magic swordsman mix, earth focused no less, could allow for some awesome ideas here. Really, in terms of hitting both great design potential and also fulfilling the game's mission as a mascot series, its hard to argue him.

- Paper Mario. This guy. So much weird stuff. So much we could work with. More of a choice if we are ignoring how well repped a series is, but I think just how awesome you could work out a Paper Mario character would more than balance it out.

- Waluigi. Because I want to troll my friends.

Eh, frankly I don't feel there is anyone I dislike enough to downvote. I -want- the above, but even then I actually will go out and say that nobody has a terrible chance to become an awesome character from PM:BR putting in work. Given what they have done, they could add Wigglytuff and make it a self-justified, well done character who does not make you think it is just Jigglypuff in disguise.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So I decided to take a look at Tingle's games to see if there was any redeeming factor about him....

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
You know, I was thinking that, but somehow I felt I needed to make sure... why there was any doubt regarding Tingle I can't say, but there you have it.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I've changed my mind. Now that I'm more concerned with Project M's longevity once smash4 comes out, I don't care who makes it in so long as they are Nintendo and have widespread appeal. So Ridley and Waluigi are now perfectly fine by me, since they won't be in Smash4 PM will have a monopoly on them, increasing it's lifespan and long term popularity. I'm not gonna play the characters most likely anyways. So if PM can keep having large tournaments for years after smash4 comes out, I wouldn't mind trading off for stupid characters.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You know, I was thinking that, but somehow I felt I needed to make sure... why there was any doubt regarding Tingle I can't say, but there you have it.
You know Nintendo put the best trolls up for the development of these games when it is officially weirder than Wario Ware. I mean seriously, I honest to God think Nintendo got their trolls out of the basement solely to develop this meme amplified terror that is the Tingle series. One of the main villains of his games speaks literally in "huehuehue"s, Tingle is a "player" in the most slang tense, he is somehow unadmirably greedier than Wario, and the characters manage to be frightening rip-offs of storybook characters.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
... There is an actual "hue" reference?

wat.

That is just a disturbing list to read off of.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
@ Gene Gene , could you confirm whether you want to vote for Slippy? You posted a lot of support for him, but I never saw you actually give him a vote.

This is just a general message to everyone, by the way, but people - please be clear when you're voting for someone. There've already been times when we've had to guess just because people have worded their votes in a way that was unclear they were voting.
1+ vote for Slippy. Unless I can vote higher for one character?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Okay, I've gotta ask... why would you be able to have a vote count as more than one?
It's mostly because barely any of the characters on the list interests me besides Waluigi and Tetra. If it's possible to use the remaining votes on a character then I would use that for the one I requested the most. All or nothing I guess....

Also I need to read the rules over again.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
1+ vote for Slippy. Unless I can vote higher for one character?
It's mostly because barely any of the characters on the list interests me besides Waluigi and Tetra. If it's possible to use the remaining votes on a character then I would use that for the one I requested the most. All or nothing I guess....
You can't do that because it skews the data like downvoting characters you're only indifferent to does.

Also I need to read the rules over again.
Oh, okay, not many people do that around here so thanks.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'd personally love to see the stats for characters mentioned that haven't broken into high visibility a la those with icons in the OP. I want to see where Lip and Takamaru both stand especially.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'd personally love to see the stats for characters mentioned that haven't broken into high visibility a la those with icons in the OP. I want to see where Lip and Takamaru both stand especially.
I think Lip was in the last set of results, but they aren't in the OP.

There are too many characters like that for us to list properly, but I can give you those two. (Not including like the last page)

Total (Up, Half, Down, % Approval)

Lip, 11 (6, 10, 0, 100%)
Takamaru, -1 (0, 0, -1, 0%)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Takamaru has almost no support lol

Greninja'd and I do NOT like the looks of Takamaru's standing :c

Edit: I guess I'll half-vote Takamaru since I had no idea that not only was he not given any real support but some d*ck ACTUALLY downvoted him lmao

1/2 vote for Takamaru

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You can't do that because it skews the data like downvoting characters you're only indifferent to does.

Oh, okay, not many people do that around here so thanks.
I see. Then here are my votes:

+1 Slippy
+1/2 Takamaru
+1/2 Samurai Goroh
+1 Lip
+Tetra
-1 Krystal if it wasn't counted already

Lip was a character I wanted to play after Melee came out. I still would like to see a Samurai in a smash bros game so I split the vote between Takamaru and Goroh.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I see. Then here are my votes:

+1 Slippy
+1/2 Takamaru
+1/2 Samurai Goroh
+1 Lip

Lip was a character I wanted to play after Melee came out. I still would like to see a Samurai in a smash bros game so I split the vote between Takamaru and Goroh.
You don't have to "split votes". You can 1/2 vote as many times as you want. It's only full +1 votes that are limited to 5.

Acearion

Smash Rookie
Now... I have created an account, because I just found out about this, and I suppose it feels nice to have your opinion listened to

+1s, in the order that I want them

Isaac: God, he is a must-have. I would die if he were released.

Dark Samus: I have thought, before, that if Samus were faster, I would use her more. Plus, you can use her assist trophy video from SSB4 as ideas for possible unique phazon attacks

Skapon: I love little blasts from the past like this. I would use the little guy for sure. Maybe even main.

Bowser Jr.: Because I think it would be a good idea. Nothing more than I think I'd like a lighter faster Bowser.

Paper Mario: This series needs representation. I find it different than the Mario Series

-1s

Lyn: WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM SWORDSMAN

Ridley: It's not that he's too big, it's just that he doesn't fit IMO.

Shadow: ... Do I need to explain this? I just dislike the character, a lot.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I'm finally voting, took me long enough. After a few minutesmonths of insider info, I've compiled a list that a certain Rotten Tomato should find intresting.

1/2 vote
K Rool
Saki
Sami
Ninten
Hector
Tetra
Waluigi
Toad
Slippy
Young Link
Plusle and Minun
Pichu
Toon Zelda
Krystal
Gray Fox
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Liquid Snake
Primid
Kumatora
Daisy
Palutena
Blaziken
Takamaru
Tingle
Meowth
Wolf Link / Midna
Pico
Metal Sonic
Peppy Hare
Blaze
Kat/Ana
Kamek
So the
Knuckle Joe
Sigurd
Excitebiker
Leon
Goombella
Jeff
Louie
Kafei
Toon Ganondorf
Robotnik
Ganon
Ephraim
Gardevoir
Mia
Birdo
Lopunny
Jumpluff
Blood Falcon
Starfy
Birdo AGAIN
Medusa
Eggplant Wizard
Marx
Eirika
Big the Cat
King of Hyrule

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm finally voting, took me long enough. After a few minutesmonths of insider info, I've compiled a list that a certain Rotten Tomato should find intresting.

1/2 vote
K Rool
Saki
Sami
Ninten
Hector
Tetra
Waluigi
Toad
Slippy
Young Link
Plusle and Minun
Pichu
Toon Zelda
Krystal
Gray Fox
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Liquid Snake
Primid
Kumatora
Daisy
Palutena
Blaziken
Takamaru
Tingle
Meowth
Wolf Link / Midna
Pico
Metal Sonic
Peppy Hare
Blaze
Kat/Ana
Kamek
So the
Knuckle Joe
Sigurd
Excitebiker
Leon
Goombella
Jeff
Louie
Kafei
Toon Ganondorf
Robotnik
Ganon
Ephraim
Gardevoir
Mia
Birdo
Lopunny
Jumpluff
Blood Falcon
Starfy
Birdo AGAIN
Medusa
Eggplant Wizard
Marx
Eirika
Big the Cat
King of Hyrule
Such a majestic list. Though it lacks a certain Ray.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Such a majestic list. Though it lacks a certain Ray.
Well maybe if a certain Rotten Tomato downvotes a few more characters and then posts about how meaningless it is to downvote every character and how it doesn't change their stance... but of course my accomplice would know my motives... Right Sol?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well maybe if a certain Rotten Tomato downvotes a few more characters and then posts about how meaningless it is to downvote every character and how it doesn't change their stance... but of course my accomplice would know my motives... Right Sol?
No clue what you are talking about honestly. I'd rather not be involved with any beef you are having with Anti-Guy either. I was just pointing out the distinct lack of Ray in that list. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
@ QQQQQQQ7777777 QQQQQQQ7777777 your sig is sooo funny and well-made. Whats the movie though.

Okay so Shin F. with these 5 votes we've got, I'm still not clear on if we can use more than one for one character. I still stand firmly by my 1 vote for Andy and 1 vote for Ray.

Regardless, I know I am now adding my third of five votes to Dark Samus. I firmly believe that despite her looking so much like Samus in shape, her supernatural, ghost-like disposition could define her moveset completely uniquely from Samus. Didn't she even grow blue energy wings at one point and fly thru walls and sh*t? That'd be a brilliant Up-B. I also say this because I think the roster's biggest franchises need to have at least one respective villain (save King KR cuz I just... think he's not a very creative character), this is why I like also the idea of giving Dorf's movesets to Black Shadow and reworking Ganon from the ground up (or's that even been proposed)? I'm not formally voting for Black Shadow yet though.

I'm wondering, it's encouraged/allowed to post creative ideas for potential character's moves and other attributes right?

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
@ QQQQQQQ7777777 QQQQQQQ7777777 your sig is sooo funny and well-made. Whats the movie though.

Okay so Shin F. with these 5 votes we've got, I'm still not clear on if we can use more than one for one character. I still stand firmly by my 1 vote for Andy and 1 vote for Ray.

Regardless, I know I am now adding my third of five votes to Dark Samus. I firmly believe that despite her looking so much like Samus in shape, her supernatural, ghost-like disposition could define her moveset completely uniquely from Samus. Didn't she even grow blue energy wings at one point and fly thru walls and sh*t? That'd be a brilliant Up-B. I also say this because I think the roster's biggest franchises need to have at least one respective villain (save King KR cuz I just... think he's not a very creative character), this is why I like also the idea of giving Dorf's movesets to Black Shadow and reworking Ganon from the ground up (or's that even been proposed)? I'm not formally voting for Black Shadow yet though.

I'm wondering, it's encouraged/allowed to post creative ideas for potential character's moves and other attributes right?
You can vote for Black Shadow taking Dorf's old moveset in order for him to get a new one. It's even mentioned in the OP. Personally, I'm not big on the idea though.

Anyway, I'd like to half vote the following.
Takamaru (Never realized he would be so low.)
Ninten (I'd like to have the last Mother protagonist.)

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
You can vote for Black Shadow taking Dorf's old moveset in order for him to get a new one. It's even mentioned in the OP. Personally, I'm not big on the idea though.
Wow, I absolutely have to vote for that. I promise you all here, I actually had that idea like, a year after melee came out, if even.

I'll recap my votes with the new one I just added:

1+ Ray
1+ Andy
1+ Dark Samus
1+ Black Shadow

My remaining point I'll probably give to one of the four I decide I want the most. If I'm allowed.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Wow, I absolutely have to vote for that. I promise you all here, I actually had that idea like, a year after melee came out, if even.

I'll recap my votes with the new one I just added:

1+ Ray
1+ Andy
1+ Dark Samus
1+ Black Shadow

My remaining point I'll probably give to one of the four I decide I want the most. If I'm allowed.
You can't double vote characters

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was thinking the other day if Ray 01 could make a good ROB clone.

He'd be faster. Obviously he'd be tinier. But he'd be considerably WEAKER.
Don't know if they could switch his Gyro for missiles, though. Maybe turn it into a chargeable missile that goes up instead of going down?

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Lip, 11 (6, 10, 0, 100%)
Hot damn Taka. Why you so low? lol

BTW, I updated my list with a half vote for Takamaru a while back.

Admittedly, with Lyn being the far more popular/visible samurai mold character, this is going to be one hell of an uphill battle. Lyn also has the appeal of being a female character choice and Smash rosters always appreciates that. All the same, I'm glad that one way or another there'll be some fast paced sword drawing action in the future. If Lyn is (weirdly) a no go because people feel like there are too many Emblem characters, it'd be a nice springboard for Takamaru to use as he'd be a rep for a new series entirely while also offering a ton of diversity in move set.

Lip support looking up though, especially since the last update with her mentioned.

I'm pretty sure Takamaru has almost no support lol

Greninja'd and I do NOT like the looks of Takamaru's standing :c

Edit: I guess I'll half-vote Takamaru since I had no idea that not only was he not given any real support but some d*ck ACTUALLY downvoted him lmao

1/2 vote for Takamaru
Ahhh what the hell.

+1/2 vote for Takamaru

Anyway, I'd like to half vote the following.
Takamaru (Never realized he would be so low.)
Ninten (I'd like to have the last Mother protagonist.)
You all are bros/broettes. :')

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
I think Lip was in the last set of results, but they aren't in the OP.

There are too many characters like that for us to list properly, but I can give you those two. (Not including like the last page)

Total (Up, Half, Down, % Approval)

Lip, 11 (6, 10, 0, 100%)
Any chance we could see if Daroach has anything?

Shin F.

Smash Master
BTW, I updated my list with a half vote for Takamaru a while back.
Do you mean you edited it in to your original voting post? If so, we don't really check for updates to your original votes, if you're saying you edited it in. We just keep a record for the votes in the spreadsheet, so if you want us to see your votes, it's best to just post them.
Any chance we could see if Daroach has anything?
He just has 2 half-votes.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
For the heck of it I wanted to show an image of when Dark Samus goes into ethereal mode with his weird ghost wings. It's super awesome, and I think would be perfect for his Up-B recovery move and then some. Maybe during her recovery she's visible but briefly intangible.

http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/c/c6/DarkSamusGhost.png

Does anybody know what I can do to show that pic in the post but smaller? I'll edit this post.

Anyway I think that this image really captures how different Dark Samus is as a character not just from Samus but from the rest of the existing roster. Dark, sleek, ghastly, fluid; her moveset can express this. I think it's too good an opportunity to ignore far as making characters.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I was thinking the other day if Ray 01 could make a good ROB clone.

He'd be faster. Obviously he'd be tinier. But he'd be considerably WEAKER.
Don't know if they could switch his Gyro for missiles, though. Maybe turn it into a chargeable missile that goes up instead of going down?
Ray has enough potential to be more than just a clone of R.O.B. honestly. I was working on an in depth moveset for Ray at some point, but I've gotten pretty busy as of recent. Trying to find time to finish it has been a bit of a chore. You can find my moveset drawings here: http://sta.sh/21z8toroojb5?edit=1 Any ideas I've discussed should have a link in the OP.

Qispichiq

Smash Cadet
An Abandoned Communist Party HQ in Bulgaria
NNID
Vatgas
1 votes:
Black Shadow and Ganondorf-I ALWAYS HAD THIS IDEA! I already put Dr. Doom over Ganon anyway so the model change wouldn't be the worst, and I really think F-Zero needs the rep and Goroh seems like too much for the effort while this one seems like it could be real simply
Sami-I love advance wars and Andy doesn't seem like it's best rep tbh. I'd like to see some advance wars based special moves however, like a T Copper for recovery or a replacement for the stun gun that works like Anti-air units.
Bowser Jr.-"quicker bowser" sounds like heaven for a grapple-lover like me. Could be a great hit and run character
Saki Amamiya-I think Saki's status as a fast sword user with projectiles is really unique and can be used in very interesting ways for the metagame
Shadow-Third party, but has potential to become Sonic's Ganon, you could use chaos control as a teleport and make some really cool combos with it.

1/2 votes
Pichu
Lyn
Tetra
Dixie
K. Rool
Paper Mario
Waluigi
Masked Man
Skull kid
Andy
Tom Nook

-1 votes
Ridley-I feel like Charizard already did almost anything Ridley could do, so I think we don't need another character like him
Tails and Knuckles-If you're going to make a sonic clone make it shadow or don't put one it
Toad-Being a move in the game already make it seem weird, and Toad just isn't that likable
Red-I feel Red would just end up looking like a joke character no matter what

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom