• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
i think this was due to how marth was changed in the remakes of the older games where he is a slightly slower but stronger character then he was before, or he was just nerfed since he has been top since hes been in.
Yeah it was mostly likely a couple of things that led to it, but saying Marth was nerfed because he was top tier for a while is implying Sakurai respects and adheres to the community's competitive view of the game. Plus, of all the higher-tier characters I think most agree that Marth is not without some distinct weaknesses in Melee.

Espio264

Smash Ace
We thought we knew. We thought we had it all figured out.

We angered The Creator.

He has come down from his cloud and thrust us into Fire Emblemy chaos.

We're a bunch of children left to cry in the dark.

Plus: I don't wanna come off as a jerk or anything but, Captain Falcon looks really really Asian now. It's a nice touch.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Robin over Chrom. Also Robin probably my most wanted newcomer with the magic/sword.

Falcon.

Lucina...eh (being a clone. Makes sense storyline though)

And Gematsu dead.

All hail Sakurai!

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Most of the people who **** rode Sal's leak and then said rude things to him ("Your Leak is bull****!", "fake!" and so on) after today's reveal are stupid. Anyways, first of all this game is rushed and today's reveal truly proves it. Sakurai's logic is gone this time around and what he has done is really unsettling. Why would he take out Roy in Brawl, then bring back another clone (Lucina) in this iteration, just to play even more similar to Marth? She even looks more similar to Marth with blue hair and the same pose, with her raising her hand to her breast. Exactly like ****ing Marth!!!!! Why Sakurai? Oh wait did I forget to include that Robin has the exact same face as Marth, but with white hair?! Wow so amazing Sakurai! You have really taken your time on this installment! Oh and another reason this game has been extremely rushed; if Chrom's in a final smash, he could have easily been a character and he would have probably had a much more original move set than both Ike and Marth. May'be I would have been okay with the fact if Lucina had a normal moveset, but when I see her malnourished *** performing Marth's nair in the trailer, it makes me ****ing infuriated, because she could've easily had an original move set and she does not look right using the move. I feel like Sakurai's logic was, "Well in her game she pretends to be Marth, so I guess I will translate her moveset exactly like Marth's in this iteration. That makes the most sense. My fans won't care much." If Sakurai wanted female representation in FE, we already have the female Robin to fulfill this spot... so why would we need Lucina? I would say we only got 1 true new character today, but even Robin upsets me, because I can spot how rushed his model is, unlike most of you sudden supporters.

Some groups of people wanted Chrom, and were excited about him because of the Gematsu leak, but as soon as Lucina was revealed, these same people acted like Sakurai's logic was amazing and that they were full supporters of Lucina from the start. Bandwagoning at its finest.

Honestly, I would take Chrom over both Robin and Lucina any day just because they seem very rushed. And I also feel bad for Sal since people want to talk **** just because his tipster (who he has no control over) was inaccurate today. I still think the chorus men are in along with Shulk, but who asked for the Chorus men? Not many. Sakurai does what he wants and he is selfish for that. I would have been completely okay with today's reveal, if Sakurai would have proved that he can make logical choices. And I bet all of you that if Dark Pit is a playable character, he too is a clone.
I think the game being rushed is to be expected. The game is being developed for less than two years, and you should also consider Sakurai's current condition. You kind of sound like a self-entitled prick right now, no offense.

Also, Robin's model isn't rushed at all. The faces of all the Fire Emblem characters do look weird, though.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
What? No, some of those aren't even facts. They are assumptions. I swear this board needs to refresh its dictionary...
Which of those aren't a fact? I can understand the 2nd as we don't know every single move for Lucina, but the others are true. Then you can take thame as "Word of God", as "something to interpretate" or as dirt. But it's a fact that there's a question mark, that websites have a mess with Lucina and Sakurai posted pics of Ct. Falcon and Robin/Daraen, but not about Lucina. That are facts, as i said, the problem is which consideration do you give to them.

You want facts? Lucina is tagged as a newcomer, has a challenger approaching banner, got her own segment of the character reveal trailer, got a splash image denoting her joining the battle, and already I am seeing some people suggest she may not be a straight clone.
The fact is she was treated as a newcomer in some ways and as a veteran in some other ways. So I can't tell you what it actually is, and I think you can't do it either.

Also, 7 hours ago I knew she was a new character.
Then why do we have this discussion? Are you telling me people that think Lucina could be something like a costume is stupid?

So, now that I've given my rebuttle, I think you can see that your "facts" are simply over enthusiastic opinions mixed with some misinterpretation. She is her own character. That should never have been called into question.
I'm not enthusiastic. I don't mind if she's a clone, a newcomer, a costume, an assist trophy or a sticker. What I see is there is something strange in Lucina's announcement.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Yeah it was mostly likely a couple of things that led to it, but saying Marth was nerfed because he was top tier for a while is implying Sakurai respects and adheres to the community's competitive view of the game. Plus, of all the higher-tier characters I think most agree that Marth is not without some distinct weaknesses in Melee.
well he said he was aware of the scene in japan last year so anything is possible or maybe it has something to do with bamco helping with balance.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Wow, I was really expecting Chrom, but Robin was a surprise. Really nice moveset it looks like too.
I can't decide between greninja, Robin, Little Mac, and Pit. Gonna have to main one :l
Also, yea Fire Emblem character's aren't exactly highly detailed, but that's just the style of it.
I'm glad Sakurai is deciding to keep each character's style from there game instead of a unified
type of deal we got in Brawl.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
3 out of 36? Maybe I've lost touch with the mainstream but that's hardly what I'd call a "fascination"...
Apparently Mii, WFT, Robin, and Mii all make up 3 characters of 36, but okay, you make a lot of sense.

And whoever said I was mad about there being Melee clones, I was not. I was completely fine about it at the time because it was only the second installment and I didn't expect huge improvements from the series, since I enjoyed SSB64 because it was simple and a fun fighting game. But what makes me upset is that Sakurai clearly stated this time around that he wanted to introduce newcomers into this game who would bring something new to the table. WTF does Lucina bring new to the table? Nothing. She is wasted potential and Chrom should've been in because imagine how awkward it would look if he was a copy of Marth or Ike. It's almost like Chrom would have to be different since he shares less similarities with Marth than Lucina does. Looking back, Melee would have been a perfect game without clones, because the roster was fine, since it didn't have generic avatar characters. It consisted of true nintendo all stars, who all appeared as fighters. Brawl also had a good roster, and it had less clones than Melee, which is an improvement. But this game on the other hand looks like it could surpass Brawl's clone count, which is sad. Brawl had Toon Link (as a full clone), and Lucas, Wolf, Falco, and Ganondorf (as semi clones). SSB4 could possibly have dark pit, which would mean there is 3 full clones. :(

I honestly thought Sakurai was trying to fix the clone problem, and not reintroduce it.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Apparently Mii, WFT, Robin, and Mii all make up 3 characters of 36, but okay, you make a lot of sense.

And whoever said I was mad about there being Melee clones, I was not. I was completely fine about it at the time because it was only the second installment and I didn't expect huge improvements from the series, since I enjoyed SSB64 because it was simple and a fun fighting game. But what makes me upset is that Sakurai clearly stated this time around that he wanted to introduce newcomers into this game who would bring something new to the table. WTF does Lucina bring new to the table? Nothing. She is wasted potential and Chrom should've been in because imagine how awkward it would look if he was a copy of Marth or Ike. It's almost like Chrom would have to be different since he shares less similarities with Marth than Lucina does. Looking back, Melee would have been a perfect game without clones, because the roster was fine, since it didn't have generic avatar characters. It consisted of true nintendo all stars, who all appeared as fighters. Brawl also had a good roster, and it had less clones than Melee, which is an improvement. But this game on the other hand looks like it could surpass Brawl's clone count, which is sad. Brawl had Toon Link (as a full clone), and Lucas, Wolf, Falco, and Ganondorf (as semi clones). SSB4 could possibly have dark pit, which would mean there is 3 full clones. :(

I honestly thought Sakurai was trying to fix the clone problem, and not reintroduce it.
if you are saying robin i generic is fail to see how s/he is. It is one of the more unique movesets with weapons switching mid fight due to use

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
No because then we'll have another Street fighter or other typical anime fighter.

Smash is supposed to be unique. These new characters have no place in this game and it is THEY who should be removed and wtf r u talking about wasn't roy marth and ike enough????????
You're not going to reply to this, but Smash 4 already has a unique and diverse character roster in terms of appearance. It'd be less diverse if there were no anime-looking characters. Plus, there's only like six of them: Pit, Palutena, Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
if you are saying robin is generic is fail to see how s/he is. It is one of the more unique movesets with weapons switching mid fight due to use
Hey, Does Robin have a clear and evident identity? He may be unique but he doesn't have a true identity, so he is in the same category as the other avatar characters.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Hey, Does Robin have a clear and evident identity? He may be unique but he doesn't have a true identity, so he is in the same category as the other avatar characters.
he does in fact have one. His or her lines are scripted totally in awakening

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm thinking if Dark Pit is a possibility now, that's a big if. I'm not stating anything but you know how Pits move set drastically changed? Dark Pit could use Pits Brawl move set. What's his iconic weapon? The Silver Bow

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Yes, even though you can name and style him/her he/she actually does talk alot and has his/her own concrete story.
Also, pretty sure Dark Pit will end up as a alternative costume to Pit.

Last edited:

Fawke83

Smash Rookie
Wow, what a bunch of crybabies.

"Oh, because with Robin there is now too much silent protagonists", newsflash, Robin is the most involved Avatar in the story, he has real decisions in the storyline, the difference is that you develop his personality. Really deserved the spot. And honestly, this whole story about how it bothers these number of silent protagonists is actually funny, does Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem are **** because of it? Do people care lessa about Link or Villager because they don't talk? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Second, let's stop over-analyzing, and accept that we saw GLIMPSES. May I repeat? GLIMPSES OF LUCINA. She can look like a clone, but until proven, she's not. No, I'm not in denial, I'm baffled at the annoying rants she caused here. Just because you saw using some attacks that look like it came from Marth's moveset may mean nothing. And just for the record, I'm far away from enjoying another clone.

Third, THE GAME IS STILL BEING BALANCED. WTF is wrong with some people here, trying to take the complaints of people who played back at E3, while those people clearly said Nintendo had personnel collecting opinions of various gamers, on the game?

Conclusion: stop jumping soon on the hate wagon. All right, you're mad that Lucina may be a clone. OK. But the reaction here is ridiculous, people are branding the game as **** without even playing an ounce of it, and getting more and more absurd arguments to justify their hate.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Starting point: technically, all characters are avatar characters.

Next.
Pokemon Trainer is hands down the best character in Brawl. No character will ever merit the same surprise factor nor excitement, nor as much deserving credit, being the star of the actual games. Sure, should have been called Red, but that is besides the point. Obviously this is just my opinion, as is yours, but it does not mean avatar characters are generic.

Also.... since when is Villager not an avatar character, this thread seems to be discussing him as if he is not one.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Well I, for one, feel excited.

I get the whining (well, actually I don't) about a lot of Fire Emblem characters, but what I don't understand is the love of Chrom over Lucina? They're like... the same - sword wielding lords that resemble previous lords, but at least it's a female character this time.

Robin on the other hand? Baller.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Yes, even though you can name and style him/her he/she actually does talk alot and has his/her own concrete story.

he does in fact have one. His or her lines are scripted totally in awakening
Stfu both of you. I'm glad you guys aren't developing this game. You would ruin it even more if you guys were behind development.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I think He/She has less lines than some other characters, but they are there, so I'd say the character has an identity.
robin has a lot early on then during the middle talks a little less but becomes much more involved late game due to plot

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Agreed, the only way this thing could have legs is if the source only had access to early documents, and has fabricated the rest of the information as it relates to things such as trailer release dates. Even if this is the case, the information has proven to no longer be valid (if it ever was) so it is more or less worthless.

Maybe we will one day hack the disk and see place holder data for Chrom. Maybe Chorus Kids will be announced in August and all hell will break loose. Regardless, we can not count on this leak for up to date and factual information.
Even if we got both Shulk and Chorus Men, the leak is already false because Chrom's not playable, and it was incomplete anyway because we've already had 3 characters absent from the leak..

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I think He/She has less lines than some other characters, but they are there, so I'd say the character has an identity.
If we count support conversations, Robin has more than anyone else because of the ability to support every single character in the game, plus spotpass characters.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
Second, let's stop over-analyzing, and accept that we saw GLIMPSES. May I repeat? GLIMPSES OF LUCINA. She can look like a clone, but until proven, she's not. No, I'm not in denial, I'm baffled at the annoying rants she caused here. Just because you saw using some attacks that look like it came from Marth's moveset may mean nothing. And just for the record, I'm far away from enjoying another clone.
Well, in fairness, we saw a fair bit more than glimpses. The moves I recall are side-B, up-B, neutral-air, up-air, and I think down-B. Just based on the special moves alone, it's pretty obvious she shares a moveset with Marth. It's most likely that she'll have a different playstyle and attributes.

I don't really mind clones all that much though; for me, it's mostly how a veteran character has to be toned down in order to give a newcomer clone some uniqueness. I'm not really complaining though, personally I'm pretty hyped for Robin honestly. If Lucina was the only one announced, then there'd be cause for concern.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
If we count support conversations, Robin has more than anyone else because of the ability to support every single character in the game, plus spotpass characters.
even then robin ends up talking more then most characters due to being central to the plot

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
The Lucina alt/character discussion is getting way out of line. We should just wait till Sakurai gives us an update and stop striking up discussion on what we don't know.

Many are stating the fact that since Namco is working on Smash they could do the same thing they've done with Tekken across the years, they've implemented a lot of ideas and mechanics and this would be perfect, here's why... Clone characters that are considered their own well... character, could share the same slot. This by no means is bad since it could lead to many requested inclusions that just can't happen since they're too similar to a represented character. This idea could very well help rosters by beefing them up with characters that don't take that much time to work on so consider what you're turning down for a second. They will still have their own intros, the announcer will still say their name, and their voice clips will be different. There's nothing to dislike here, really... let's hope it turns out getting included somehow.

Aogami

Smash Cadet
Seriously all these complaints as well as the recent questions only prove that at most 5% of the people here have actually played Fire Emblem Awakening, hell I doubt they've ever played any Fire Emblem game before and complaining about not knowing the character.

The same can go for any of the other characters not just the newcomers, How many of you have actually played Earthbound or F-Zero or the original Game & Watch.

Worst of all people complaining about it being Lucina and not Roy, first of all do you know what Fire Emblem game he appeared in without a Google search in all honesty, and even worse saying that Lucina is a direct copy paste of Marth from only just 5 seconds of gameplay and already acting as if you had extensive playtime with her, hell few people have already found quite a few differences in her sword mechanics based solely with the little footage we got.

So people really need to stop acting entitled and complaining about every little thing they see when they don't even understand what they're seeing even when it's completely obvious.

Last edited:

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand the intense hostility toward clones. Most clones end up playing pretty differently even if the basic movesets are similar. Characters like Young Link and Ganondorf are interesting and fun characters in their own right with their own unique playstyles.

Clones take much less time to make than creating a new moveset from scratch and can still give you a distinct and fairly unique character. And no, this mindset isn't "laziness" - you're never going to be able to put everything you want into the game, and when development time is limited and has to be spread across a variety of things sometimes clones are the best option. The alternative to Melee's clones would have been one more unique character, at most.

By the same token, if you're going to create a new character, new voices and theme music, etc., it's only slightly more work to just make them a clone instead of an alt skin.

Yes, there are issues like Roy and Pichu being too weak and Ganondorf being a little off flavorwise (though in terms of gameplay, he's solid). But that doesn't make clones per se a bad thing.

Now of course if there is a huge excess of clones then it can become a problem. They should supplement a good range of unique characters. But I don't think this has ever happened with Smash, even in Melee which had the most. Lots of fighting games use clones; it's not just Smash.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't really understand the intense hostility toward clones. Most clones end up playing pretty differently even if the basic movesets are similar. Characters like Young Link and Ganondorf are interesting and fun characters in their own right with their own unique playstyles.

Clones take much less time to make than creating a new moveset from scratch and can still give you a distinct and fairly unique character. And no, this mindset isn't "laziness" - you're never going to be able to put everything you want into the game, and when development time is limited and has to be spread across a variety of things sometimes clones are the best option. The alternative to Melee's clones would have been one more unique character, at most.

By the same token, if you're going to create a new character, new voices and theme music, etc., it's only slightly more work to just make them a clone instead of an alt skin.

Yes, there are issues like Roy and Pichu being too weak and Ganondorf being a little off flavorwise. But they don't make clones per se a bad thing.

Now of course if there is a huge excess of clones then it can become a problem. They should supplement a good range of unique characters. But I don't think this has ever happened with Smash, even in Melee which had the most. Lots of fighting games use clones; it's not just Smash.
Well Young Link anyway...on the interesting thing

I think the game being rushed is to be expected. The game is being developed for less than two years, and you should also consider Sakurai's current condition. You kind of sound like a self-entitled prick right now, no offense.

Also, Robin's model isn't rushed at all. The faces of all the Fire Emblem characters do look weird, though.
Lucina looks like she's dead IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Most of the people who **** rode Sal's leak and then said rude things to him ("Your Leak is bull****!", "fake!" and so on) after today's reveal are stupid. Anyways, first of all this game is rushed and today's reveal truly proves it. Sakurai's logic is gone this time around and what he has done is really unsettling. Why would he take out Roy in Brawl, then bring back another clone (Lucina) in this iteration, just to play even more similar to Marth? She even looks more similar to Marth with blue hair and the same pose, with her raising her hand to her breast. Exactly like ****ing Marth!!!!! Why Sakurai? Oh wait did I forget to include that Robin has the exact same face as Marth, but with white hair?! Wow so amazing Sakurai! You have really taken your time on this installment! Oh and another reason this game has been extremely rushed; if Chrom's in a final smash, he could have easily been a character and he would have probably had a much more original move set than both Ike and Marth. May'be I would have been okay with the fact if Lucina had a normal moveset, but when I see her malnourished *** performing Marth's nair in the trailer, it makes me ****ing infuriated, because she could've easily had an original move set and she does not look right using the move. I feel like Sakurai's logic was, "Well in her game she pretends to be Marth, so I guess I will translate her moveset exactly like Marth's in this iteration. That makes the most sense. My fans won't care much." If Sakurai wanted female representation in FE, we already have the female Robin to fulfill this spot... so why would we need Lucina? I would say we only got 1 true new character today, but even Robin upsets me, because I can spot how rushed his model is, unlike most of you sudden supporters.

Some groups of people wanted Chrom, and were excited about him because of the Gematsu leak, but as soon as Lucina was revealed, these same people acted like Sakurai's logic was amazing and that they were full supporters of Lucina from the start. Bandwagoning at its finest.

Honestly, I would take Chrom over both Robin and Lucina any day just because they seem very rushed. And I also feel bad for Sal since people want to talk **** just because his tipster (who he has no control over) was inaccurate today. I still think the chorus men are in along with Shulk, but who asked for the Chorus men? Not many. Sakurai does what he wants and he is selfish for that. I would have been completely okay with today's reveal, if Sakurai would have proved that he can make logical choices. And I bet all of you that if Dark Pit is a playable character, he too is a clone.
You mad?

So you don't like Robin because he's rushed? Show me your proof. All I see is an extremely unique and intricate playstyle that looks ridiculously fun.

Yes Lucina being a clone sucks. However to say Chrom wouldn't have been the same... That's naive. They use the same sword and almost the same identical style in Fire Emblem: Awakening. At least Lucina is female compared to Chrom or they would have been a 99% clone. Just different coloring.
I love Fire Emblem and Robin deserves his spot and to ***** about that makes me see you as a butthurt fanboy that didn't get his personal newcomer pick.

To even call Sakurai illogical is baffling.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I think i'd rather have chrom and robin then chrom and lucina. Oh well. At least I know that if rhythm heaven characters in smash run means chrous men then kritters in smash run means king K. rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom