• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Opinions must be difficult for you to handle.
It's not the opinion.

It's the fact that you're ****ting on another person's favorite character or wanted newcomer by calling them generic and unworthy as if they've taken the spot from Ridley or K. Rool or Toad or Mewtwo on the basis that Gematsu is it.

Rosalina herself proves that sticking to that leak as gospel and Shulk, Chorus Men, and Chrom is it? Stupid.

Case in point? Chorus Men revealed Monday? Oh look. Rosalina. She's not in Gematsu. Already confirmed? You know what that means for K. Rool? Ridley? Mewtwo? Toad, etc? They all still have a chance. No need to take it out any other newcomer for taking their ''roster space."

The concept of ''roster slots" and ''roster spaces." is stupid. Especially if you're basing it on a leak that so clearly had outdated information.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
What Im most afraid of is that were going to get a character that no one is expecting, like, even weirder than Chorus Men.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Incidentally - I really never got the the appeal of the play style of Xenoblade - it just seems like Monster Hunter with its stats on its sleeve and that oddly MMO coating. Different strokes I guess - I'd rather go turn based JRPG or full western RPG before that style.

Shulk's design is cool enough, but he would mark the first time a character appeared from a game I got a refund from.

Obviously Ice Climber is a pretty cruddy game (many old-school launch NES games were rough), and Game and Watch barely qualifies, and R.O.B. just wanted to be pals, but Xenoblade really really really disappointed me, and I LOVE RPGs.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What Im most afraid of is that were going to get a character that no one is expecting, like, even weirder than Chorus Men.
Oh, I'm so wishing.

Let the salt and rain come down when the girl from Style Savvy is confirmed playable.

I'll ****ing love it.~~~

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
Well I'd say most people who haven't played it (which is probably a lot, the game barely got a North American release) aren't excited, and it's understandable to not get excited for a character you know nothing about. I have been playing Xenoblade though...and I am super excited at the prospect of Shulk.
Fair enough, I really outta try to find a copy, especially if Shulk is confirmed

On what level of game is this? My top RPG's of that sort (and I know very little about Xenoblade, so I could be wrong) is the Tales series, does Xenoblade stand up to them? and if so, in what way?

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Neither was I.

@ LeeYawshee LeeYawshee can you provide a source to the exciting news thing?
I might have been misinformed. So I'm sorry for posting that.

However I do know that he did retweet the news. If I find it I will post it here ASAP.

Edit: According to the person who told me: He said this some time ago so it might have been about Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Fair enough, I really outta try to find a copy, especially if Shulk is confirmed

On what level of game is this? My top RPG's of that sort (and I know very little about Xenoblade, so I could be wrong) is the Tales series, does Xenoblade stand up to them? and if so, in what way?
It kinda plays like an MMO - but not like FF12. I don't know - I found it unbearable but I know I'm in the minority.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It's most likely Shulk because of the retweet of the announcement from Xenoblade's Twitter. If it does happen it will definitely boost the Gematsu believers and they'll just keep talking more about it.

While i don't mind Shulk, i'm strongly against Gematsu because of the lacking "roster" it has in it's promise. No Ridley, Mewtwo is still not back and Lucas is removed. But instead we get Chorus Men! No offense to anyone who likes them, but why should a long time requested fan favorite like Ridley or Mewtwo be underprioritized by a bunch of generic white men that only appears for brief moments in their perspective games, they're not even the main characters of Rythm Heaven?
Gematsu has only leaked newcomers. Mewtwo is not a newcomer. Mewtwo not being mentioned is the same as Ness or Captain Falcon not being mentioned. As for Ridley, there's always the Rosalina argument as well as the fact that, according to the latest leak, Nintendo is planning character DLC.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
It kinda plays like an MMO - but not like FF12. I don't know - I found it unbearable but I know I'm in the minority.
Hmmm, I've never been big on MMO's

x_x I will probably just end up watching a walkthrough of the game or something :p

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Frankly, it should be Chrom (or whoever the third FE rep is) since Sakurai hasn't even attempted to make it a surprise given all the Awakening content already in the game so we might as well get it over already. I really want to put the FE speculation to a close already. Only Ridley should get priority over them since we outright know he's in the game just not in what capacity.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Oh, I'm so wishing.

Let the salt and rain come down when the girl from Style Savvy is confirmed playable.

I'll ****ing love it.~~~
But what about the children!!?!?!?!

Wait, wrong topic.

I just dont see whod fit the bill. Style Savvy girl? Thats a thing?

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Hmmm, I've never been big on MMO's

x_x I will probably just end up watching a walkthrough of the game or something :p
I'm playing through the game for the first time as we speak. So far I've been enjoying it. It's like an open world RPG, in a sense. Plays pretty chill, it's not really complicated.

I'd give it a try if I were you. If you really don't want to try it, watch Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of the game. He's in the middle of it right now!

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
I'm playing through the game for the first time as we speak. So far I've been enjoying it. It's like an open world RPG, in a sense. Plays pretty chill, it's not really complicated.

I'd give it a try if I were you. If you really don't want to try it, watch Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of the game. He's in the middle of it right now!
That works out well then! If I'm at a Gamestop and they have a copy I might just pick it up though, IGN gave it pretty good reviews, and they haven't lead me stray before! :)

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
That works out well then! If I'm at a Gamestop and they have a copy I might just pick it up though, IGN gave it pretty good reviews, and they haven't lead me stray before! :)
The story is awesome too. I think you'll get a kick out of it. I haven't even beaten the game yet and I already know why people are so hype for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How did I miss this thread all day, whatt?? I'm gonna repost something I posted elsewhere given the relevance of the Gematsu assumption.

We need to look at the assumptions we are making here.
One, that Gematsu is correct. Yes, a lot of it is. Okay, concede. Likely so, but it is still an assumption.
Two, that it is all the characters. Rosalina disproves this, and to me it shows that she either was added later to development, or that she was initially going to be secret, and later switched to not be a secret character (thusly leaked). Which brings me to point three-
Gematsu is all the characters we will get. Why? What point does that serve to reveal all of the characters? Judging by who we have seen revealed, it seems to be the characters who would generate most hype in the non-smash fans; that is, not characters particularly wanted by fans already established in the game, but by outside sources. Variation. It would make complete sense for the locked characters to be the ones we have wanted to be in the entire time, the ones previous with some connection to smash in some way (as a boss, trophy, AT, etc). It would serve Sakurai little to blatantly ignore all of these characters.

Honestly I cannot fathom the Gemtatsu leak being anything but the characters who would be revealed before the game. We all seem to even glaze over the rosalina bit, but either she was added later, not included on the leak intentionally (potentially along with others), or was originally not going to be revealed and then later was (likely because she was switched onto the starting roster-- perhaps the reverse happened with Ike and chrom, where Ike was going to be secret and chrom starting roster, but after the leak, they were switched). We have more evidence pointing TOWARDS more characters from the leak than not.

Now-- if the leak is not what is disappointing people, what is?
We were given information about a new character reveal. It will be a big deal. We were told specifically that we are near the end of new character videos, which we knew- the game is coming out soon. That almost sounds specifically like we should in fact expect more characters to be in the game, or else he would have surely said 'there are not more new characters,' because if it were all the newcomers, he would have told us. THAT is terrible marketing, pretending to possibly have more newcomers when you do not have anymore. If all the newcomers are somehow revealed before game launch, the point would be because everyone would find out and he wants us to know.

Guys, we have more characters. I honestly think it will be Shulk, but if not, my money is on Ridley.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
The story is awesome too. I think you'll get a kick out of it. I haven't even beaten the game yet and I already know why people are so hype for Xenoblade Chronicles X.
:p Well next time I'm at a Gamestop I will have to pick it up! :)

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528

I mean, I could definitely see the appeal - the world is beautiful, the story and art direction are top notch. I mean, JRPG design has been pretty bad (with stylistic exceptions like Persona or whatever, those at least call it like it is and actually have it about japanese schoolchildren dealing with my favorite subject, the devil) for a long while, and Xenoblade gives you some real scope. I just can't play RPGs that hang in the middle of styles and try to be everything for everybody. But I'm replaying Earthbound right now, so what do I know?

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
:p Well next time I'm at a Gamestop I will have to pick it up! :)
If you have a classic controller or classic controller pro, I'd use that. Otherwise, the Wii Remote and Nunchuck is tolerable too, it's just that the classic controller is more comfortable controls wise.

I'm personally using a classic controller pro.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Im not going to waste 32 seconds of my life to figure out what you wanted to say in a 2 seconds of typing.

Ew, Savvy Styler, get this non-canon garbage out of here.
She's Nintendo owned and her games are popular.

Honestly she has a chance at being in somewhere. Sakurai loves his oddballs after all.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
If you have a classic controller or classic controller pro, I'd use that. Otherwise, the Wii Remote and Nunchuck is tolerable too, it's just that the classic controller is more comfortable controls wise.

I'm personally using a classic controller pro.
I have a classic controller, and a Pro controller, So yeah

I gotta pick it up

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
It's not the opinion.

It's the fact that you're ****ting on another person's favorite character or wanted newcomer by calling them generic and unworthy as if they've taken the spot from Ridley or K. Rool or Toad or Mewtwo on the basis that Gematsu is it.
It is my opinion that they are generic and unworthy though, i do appologize if it makes you so furious.

By the way, wasn't saying other characters won't have a chance if the Chorus Kids do make it in. But obviously some characters are gonna make it in the game instead of other characters.

Gematsu has only leaked newcomers. Mewtwo is not a newcomer. Mewtwo not being mentioned is the same as Ness or Captain Falcon not being mentioned. As for Ridley, there's always the Rosalina argument as well as the fact that, according to the latest leak, Nintendo is planning character DLC.
Mewtwo does count as a veteran i suppose, and the Rosalina argument is why i want to believe Gematsu is a sham. As for DLC, if that does happen it most likely won't happen for a long time. Sakurai is trying to make this game complete as possible. So the most necessary characters should be available from beggining. And yes, that means characters like Lucas.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I have to say, if we get a newcomer this Monday and it isn't Shulk, I'm prepared to change my avatar (and SSB4 main) to his/her official render.

Please don't let this happen because I love my Charizard. Well, it wouldn't be so bad if the newcomer in question is Ridley.

Brojito

Smash Rookie
"Looks like we're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos we've made.."

Bottom of the STASH??

'stache

Wario confirmed

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
and then...

I am starting to see this a bit differently now.
The ploy is to build hype

Gematsu is not... hype worthy, to most anyone looking to pay attention to a newcomer at this point. It is what we expect.
Who is on this list? Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Kids.

What is done? An announced new character, big deal countdown. It is minutes long.
This all builds hype. Super!
But-- retweeted by Monolith, Shulks papa. So... directly leading the community that is paying attention to the road we already had established, in regards to newcomers.

It just seems, fishy to me. Like as much of a level of misdirection as everything else has been. The misdirection for all the other characters.
Maybe I'm hopping on board this meaning too much, because it is either too obviously Shulk, and everything Sakurai has done must be face value vulgar as it didnt seem to have been, or- he has been brilliantly marketing to appeal to many audiences.

I won't go as far as that extreme, but I do believe there is a pretty decent shot Shulk is in, and that Sakurai is utilizing some more advanced marketing strategy (asking monolith to send us down the wrong path) to keep us on our toes about who will be revealed, because even before that retweet most would have guessed Shulk, and what is the point of a reveal we are mostly all already guessing? Even less if we are hyping it.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I mean, I could definitely see the appeal - the world is beautiful, the story and art direction are top notch. I mean, JRPG design has been pretty bad (with stylistic exceptions like Persona or whatever, those at least call it like it is and actually have it about japanese schoolchildren dealing with my favorite subject, the devil) for a long while, and Xenoblade gives you some real scope. I just can't play RPGs that hang in the middle of styles and try to be everything for everybody. But I'm replaying Earthbound right now, so what do I know?
It's definitely not for everyone, but I'd say is probably more casual based compared to other JRPGs. It's really easy to pick up and play, while still having the in depth, rpg feel. It's a perfect blend in my opinion. Worlds are pretty large, but once you discover a location it's possible to skip travel, so that's not an issue. Side quests are handled so beautifully in this game I wish all games had side quests like Xenoblade.

I could go on and give a multitude of reasons why it's a pretty good game so far, but you honestly just have to play or watch it to get a good feel of if you'll like it or not. I watched the first couple episodes of Chuggaaconroy's playthrough, and I was instantly hooked and was like: "ok, before I spoil everything, let me go out and actually play this damn game finally". I've been enjoying it so far.

To stay on topic, I could see why people would want Shulk in Smash Bros. He's a great character and a very unique sword and ability. Perfect for Smash Bros. Personally I don't care if he's in or not, but if he is, good stuff. The assist trophies for Shulk's representation would be Reyn, or Sharla, or Dunban. Stages would be dope. Lots of possibilities that would definitely fit in a Smash Bros. game.

Aqueducts

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1713-0780
Last night I had my first dream about character's being confirmed for Smash 4. Most of it were ridiculous characters like Waluigi on skis. The last character announced was Ridley. I'm basing my speculation purely on that.

Can't wait for Ridley.

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
Last night I had my first dream about character's being confirmed for Smash 4. Most of it were ridiculous characters like Waluigi on skis. The last character announced was Ridley. I'm basing my speculation purely on that.

Can't wait for Ridley.
I approve of this Logic
Ridey! Woot!

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Oh yeah definitely, while he's another sword user, I think he'd bring the most diversity to the fighting style with a sword this side of Metaknight. Plus, for a typical JRPG hero, he looks like he could be a Phantasy Star character, and that's ++ in my book.

My issues with Xenoblade are almost entirely battle mechanics - everything else is s'all good.

D

Deleted member 245254

All signs point to this reveal being Shulk but I'm open to surprises.

It's not the opinion.

Rosalina herself proves that sticking to that leak as gospel and Shulk, Chorus Men, and Chrom is it? Stupid.

Case in point? Chorus Men revealed Monday? Oh look. Rosalina. She's not in Gematsu. Already confirmed? You know what that means for K. Rool? Ridley? Mewtwo? Toad, etc? They all still have a chance. No need to take it out any other newcomer for taking their ''roster space."

The concept of ''roster slots" and ''roster spaces." is stupid. Especially if you're basing it on a leak that so clearly had outdated information.
So, it is the opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom