• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character to be Shown Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Mewtwo as the reapearring veteran and Sceptile as the newcomer in the Charizard/Greninja style trailer.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I think the two most likely now are Shulk or Ridley. Shulk has so much going for him right now, and Ridley has been teased a lot. Chorus Men and Chrom are possible, but just seem like they could be annouced in a regular Direct.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
The Starfox franchise has been neglected so far. Out of all the franchises, there's been no newcomer/veteran character reveal other than Fox. No Starfox stage revealed either.

Krystal I will be waiting for you on Monday.

domokl

Smash Lord
Telling people to read your previous posts without reading the pages of discussions why this retweet is not nothing is rather amusing.
Its also rather amusing that little macs director said he just retweeted and didn't even know if little mac was getting revealed that day. So yes it is nothing.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
As much as I WANT it to be K.Rool, Porky, or Ridley, I'm almost positive it's going to be Shulk.
I really have mixed feelings about both Shulk and Chrom. I don't have anything against them as characters, but in terms of choices for the roster, they're really boring. They're both anime-styled swordsmen, which is just a lot less exciting to me than a crocodile with multiple personality disorder or a giant space dragon.

I mean, we've definitely gotten some amazing newcomers this time around, but Shulk and Chrom would be a little disappointing to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
Its also rather amusing that little macs director said he just retweeted and didn't even know if little mac was getting revealed that day. So yes it is nothing.
No. It is not objectively irrelevant. It might not mean anything, but it is impossible to prove that it IS nothing. One example is not enough to refute that perspective. The precedent is not necessarily feasible and there is more than a tweet to convince people of the Shulkster.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
You know you haven't played Xenoblade when...
I have played Xenoblade, dongus. Shulk still seems very anime-esque to me in both design and personality.
That isn't a BAD thing, it's just that we already have characters like that on the roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know you haven't played Xenoblade when...
I have played Xenoblade, dongus. Shulk still seems very anime-esque to me in both design and personality.
That isn't a BAD thing, it's just that we already have characters like that on the roster.
I agree with this sentiment. I have also played Xenoblade and I feel precisely the same way. His art-style is undeniably anime and his personality was reminiscent of such as well.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Big money on Anna. Though the more obvious one would be Shulk. Frigging Gematsu just keeps ruining the surprise. Don't get me wrong, Shulk's on my Top 5, but I'm just not as hyped to see that Gematsu gets another one right.
Surprise Anna would totally get me mad hyped though. Yet that seems very unlikely at this point... :crying:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Stop saying a 3 minute trailer is a big deal. Palutena's was 3:01, greninja was approximately 2:40. 3 minutes will have an animated trailer, then show off some of his moves.

Shulk is worthy of a trailer just as much as everyone else who had one. (More so than Villager/Wii fit trainer)

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i mean to be fair the guy that wrote the story and designed shulk works on anime lol

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I believe that Shulk is the most likely reveal, but that seems too obvious. Sakurai is unpredictable, yet this prediction is quite simply too apparent. Maybe I should jump on the Chrom hype train. Or I would... if it existed. :c

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Screw all y'all. Simon Belmont arrives, as does Snake.

I believe it because I believe it in my heart - and you gotta believe it when you have hope, the devil, and random stabs into the dark in your heart.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Honestly, I believe that Shulk is the most likely reveal, but that seems too obvious. Sakurai is unpredictable, yet this prediction is quite simply too apparent. Maybe I should jump on the Chrom hype train. Or I would... if it existed. :c
You just descriped why i think all of the xeno fuys post are possibly just coicidental.

Because what you guys fail to know is these xeno guys also tweeted about the smash direct in april and nothing shulk related came up.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You just descriped why i think all of the xeno fuys post are possibly just coicidental.

Because what you guys fail to know is these xeno guys also tweeted about the smash direct in april and nothing shulk related came up.
Monolift Soft did, not the actual writer of Xenoblade, which he did now.

domokl

Smash Lord
Shulk is pretty obscure outside off smash fanbase so I wouldn't count on him really. He does have a japanese fanbase though.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am more concerned about the English voice-actor and the Japanese voice-actor tweets alluding to their work on a future title to be honest. One of them asserted that the game was trending, I doubt X was trending on twitter, Smash on the other hand? I just feel as though this is the icing on the cake. Not saying that he WILL be revealed, but Shulk is literally the Twitter Warrior. So many tweets in his favor, including that old Sakurai tweet. :awesome:

domriver

Smash Lord
Looking at this whole Character Reveal from a non-biased perspective I'd ask which character warrants a 3-day special reveal trailer ? Nintendo and Sakurai tweeting/facebooking etc etc for the social media to be aware of what is coming. 2nd Question does Shulk warrant such an entrance? IMO I don't think so. It has to be a HUGE SUPRISE character. A character that will blow people away or shock/ amaze etc etc. I have no qualms with Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men. But I don't believe any of them warrant such a trailer. What you guys think? Also regarding the Xeno people tweeting they are fans of Smash. Also have tweeted about Smash directs before.

Shroob

Sup?
Looking at this whole Character Reveal from a non-biased perspective I'd ask which character warrants a 3-day special reveal trailer ? Nintendo and Sakurai tweeting/facebooking etc etc for the social media to be aware of what is coming. 2nd Question does Shulk warrant such an entrance? IMO I don't think so. It has to be a HUGE SUPRISE character. A character that will blow people away or shock/ amaze etc etc. I have no qualms with Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men. But I don't believe any of them warrant such a trailer. What you guys think? Also regarding the Xeno people tweeting they are fans of Smash. Also have tweeted about Smash directs before.
The difference is that this is the writer of Xenoblade, and he has only retweeted when something Xenoblade related is up, like all the X news.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's probably only 3 minutes long because it'll start with Sakurai introducing it. It is a live stream after all. Not too farfetched.

Morbi

Scavenger
Every character (newcomer) warrants notification for the most part. I believe that every character was alluded to prior, not directly of course. But Sakurai mentions the Direct before it happens, Rosalina might be the exception even though he hinted at her the week before. We just did not realize it at the time. Well; I did, but I was a Rosalina supporter. Haha.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I am more concerned about the English voice-actor and the Japanese voice-actor tweets alluding to their work on a future title to be honest. One of them asserted that the game was trending, I doubt X was trending on twitter, Smash on the other hand? I just feel as though this is the icing on the cake. Not saying that he WILL be revealed, but Shulk is literally the Twitter Warrior. So many tweets in his favor, including that old Sakurai tweet. :awesome:
I'm really surprised why there is so much in favor of a character from a game that barely made a US release/is fairly obscure, and already similar to characters on the roster. Also - Sakurai is usually always a bit behind on representation - I realize Xenoblade came out in Japan in 2010, but I just don't think he'll be represented in place of classic characters. This is what happens in Smash Bros - most typically.

Finally, I refuse to acknowledge preternatural guesswork because people wish to believe in magic (I do too, that's why the Dracula slayer will be announced) and coincidence.

Also I like whips, chains and leather. Grrrrowl.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm really surprised why there is so much in favor of a character from a game that barely made a US release/is fairly obscure, and already similar to characters on the roster. Also - Sakurai is usually always a bit behind on representation - I realize Xenoblade came out in Japan in 2010, but I just don't think he'll be represented in place of classic characters. This is what happens in Smash Bros - most typically.

Finally, I refuse to acknowledge preternatural guesswork because people wish to believe in magic (I do too, that's why the Dracula slayer will be announced) and coincidence.

Also I like whips, chains and leather. Grrrrowl.
Sakurai is behind? *CoughGreninjacough*

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I hope it's not Shulk, purely to see most of this thread confused and call it a filler update.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
As obvious as Pac-Man, Palutena, and the Miis? :tired:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
People are making to big of a deal out of the three day countdown. Sakurai has never shown ANY newcomer on the site, so this is just his way of giving people advanced notice.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Realistically, my bet is on Shulk. Unrealistically, Ridley.

It would have to be a character that would be capable of generating large amounts of hype; seeing as how it's a stand alone release trailer which hasn't been done yet. Enough to warrant an early trailer. While Shulk is capable of that, I feel the likes of Ridley, Mewtwo, or K. Rool is certainly capable. Chrom and the Chorus Men...not do much.

This weekend and Monday is going to be torture.
I've been thinking about how I feel about all of this all day at work, and it's all pretty much summed up in VOTDB's statement there.
Who warrants a three day lead in? Certainly Mewtwo, Ridley, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Shulk, K. Rool and I'd say maybe Paper Mario or yet another Third Party character (neither of which I'd really expect, save for Snake's return.)

If I were Sakurai, I'd only do something like this for something crazy huge. (Ridley or Mewtwo). But I'm not him, and I'm gonna say he knows what he's doing.

I'm gonna put my money on Shulk, and the three day lead in isn't for just him, but for the whole Xenosaga Universe's introduction into Smash. Gotta find something productive to do while we wait...

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I would question why the term "character" is used instead of "fighter, " since the term, "character" is essentially any fictional being that moves and breathes.

Than, I realized that as far as the Smash Community is concerned, Assist Characters aren't "characters." They're "items."

Anyway, I might have a feeling who the newcomer is. Though, honestly, I doubt really matters. Whoever he/she/it is, he's/she's/it's going to be hated and bashed regardless.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
As much as I WANT it to be K.Rool, Porky, or Ridley, I'm almost positive it's going to be Shulk.
I really have mixed feelings about both Shulk and Chrom. I don't have anything against them as characters, but in terms of choices for the roster, they're really boring. They're both anime-styled swordsmen, which is just a lot less exciting to me than a crocodile with multiple personality disorder or a giant space dragon.

I mean, we've definitely gotten some amazing newcomers this time around, but Shulk and Chrom would be a little disappointing to me.
You're cherry picking... you say you want unique looking reps, but we already have a fat reptile king. Also, anime is an art style, but that has nothing to do with a characters actual design. How many characters share Shulk's sci-fi/steam punk aesthetic? How many have a giant laser sword that fluctuates in size?

Morbi

Scavenger
As obvious as Pac-Man, Palutena, and the Miis? :tired:
I did not really expect Palutena or Mii Fighters at E3 specifically myself, albeit Pac-Man was given. :seuss:

I hope it's not Shulk, purely to see most of this thread confused and call it a filler update.
According to most people, there are only three options. I doubt any confusion would ensue. On the other hand, there will be a lot of debate as to whether or not the character was indeed "filler."

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I did not really expect Palutena or Mii Fighters at E3 specifically myself, albeit Pac-Man was given. :seuss:

According to most people, there are only three options. I doubt any confusion would ensue. On the other hand, there will be a lot of debate as to whether or not the character was indeed "filler."
4 options. There are more people that think Shulk or Ridley then think Shulk or Chorus men in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom