• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challengers! Fire Emblem's Robin and Lucina, Featuring Captain Falcon

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I love everything about this. Especially when they talk about how powerful Captain Falcon is. Fear the return of the knee!

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Really unimpressed with the two reveals. I mean, I felt it was practically obvious we'd be getting a Fire Emblem newcomer, but both Lucina and Robin, even over Chrom? I know this game wasn't made for me, and if I plan on enjoying it to its fullest, I have to suck some of it up, but all I really want is King K. Rool at this point. If Fire Emblem can seemingly procure four characters for a franchise that doesn't even make the top 12 of Nintendo's in terms of sales (and supposedly popularity), why can't DK, or even Metroid, assume at least three? Really hoping for that otherwise, or else this game will just have hampered most of my hype in itself for the character roster, likely. Well, at least Captain Falcon made his big return... I've been waiting for him, and he looks just as glorious as we last saw.

Also, to anyone who's going to automatically shun me for my post because I'm not excited like most of the rest, this is my respectful opinion. I can't help it that I'm not at all a Fire Emblem fan, but am a long-time one for Donkey Kong and Metroid, and I just want to thrilled on my part equally, if any, all the same.
Preach.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
This might be small, but on Miiverse, Sakurai gives a special announcement post (as he does) about the Robins, and then a little about Falcon.

No mention on Lucina. I wonder if she just is an alt, but cause she's got her own voice and is a separate character in the series (Wii Fit, Villager and Mii Fighters don't exactly have separate personalities) they gave her a special shout out.

LIKE WHAT THEY WILL DO WHEN DAISY IS ANNOUNCED AS PEACH'S ALT. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
More sword characters? I hope their move sets aren't clone like.
Nice to see Falcon back though.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Doesn't matter, Sakurai stated before that the entire Roster was decided on 2 years ago, meaning one year before the Leaker gave the information to Sal Romano as well.

Considering I've spoken to several game developers and even been to E3 to talk to more, I can say I know fairly well how Game Development works.

Plus this is all assuming Sal Romano held back, which I don't think he would do since he had nothing to lose by posting the full list and he'd been in email contact with the leaker as well who said that Skulk would '100% be revealed' today..

It still doesn't disregard the "leak". Whoever this person was has some ties to the development team. We'll never know if they were "let go" during the development and outed characters that were discussed during the planning two years ago last year or what have you (which come to think of it just might be the case). For all we know, Chorus Men were once considered but may have been scrapped similar to Little Mac, Mii Fighter and shooting down Pac-Man for Smash Bros. Brawl. And now we know Chrom is canned.

Point I'm trying to drive home is that things change in game development.

People have this idea that the person Sal Romano is talking to is describing current events which is impossible because the game is nearing the end of development. This is why they disregard it.

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I like how Lucina's little intro was "Lucina wakes her blade?!" as if it's like they knew we'd be confused if she was an original character or a Marth Alt. I think she's a Marth alternate costume.

I'm excited to play Robin though, he/she looks cool af and has magic n crap
About the alternate costume thing: Sakurai did mention there won't be any clones... since Lucina is obviously a clone of Marth, she's probably an alternate form. My guess is that she's selectable like how Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSSamus was selectable to play with in Brawl or PM. But then again it makes me wonder if characters with alternate character-costumes get their own name... Daisy is an alternate from Peach so would she be called Daisy by the narrator? In any case it is unclear and confusing.
Here's hoping it will all be revealed soon...

DrCoxxx

Smash Rookie
honestly i think that Lucina is an alt not only because the similarity in her and marth's moveset but because when she is revealed there is a question mark after "Lucina wakes her blade?!" Seeing that marth is already revealed they wouldnt add her to his character block on the website,(which is probably why hers doesnt say "Newcomer"). This was the perfect time to show her

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
honestly i think that Lucina is an alt not only because the similarity in her and marth's moveset but because when she is revealed there is a question mark after "Lucina wakes her blade?!" Seeing that marth is already revealed they wouldnt add her to his character block on the website,(which is probably why hers doesnt say "Newcomer"). This was the perfect time to show her
Lucina does have the red Newcomer banner on her page, though, and the mobile site has Lucina's character square as a Newcomer's.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
I was really hoping for Chrom but Lucina and Robin more than made up for it. Looks like I'll be maining Lucina and Marth.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'll admit Robin looks really cool in either form, but I'm dissapointed that Lucina seems to be a Marth clone which means she's taking up a roster slot she doesn't have to. With them obviously pushing for alt costumes in SSB4, clones should honestly be a thing of the past. She should be a model switch for Marth, this doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I'll admit Robin looks really cool in either form, but I'm dissapointed that Lucina seems to be a Marth clone which means she's taking up a roster slot she doesn't have to. With them obviously pushing for alt costumes in SSB4, clones should honestly be a thing of the past. She should be a model switch for Marth, this doesn't make any sense.
I have a feeling that some of her moves like neutral special and some of the other aerials will be different, as well as her whole playstyle. I expect it to be a Fox Falco thing.

AfricanManBeast

Smash Cadet
Finally the suspense was killing me. welcome back captain. oh and robin and lucina. I'd trade robin for roy

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I dunno why lucina is getting so much hate. Isn't marth bad this time around? Isn't lucina the answer to our prayers? Sure she looks like a clone, OF MELEE MARTH. I think lucina will be upper tier, and no one will appreciate her until then...

willy410

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure lucina is a separate character and not an alt, the reason she doesn't have artwork or a trailer on her page is because she shares hers with robin, and maybe sakurai thought robin was a bigger deal, the only weird thing is the question mark in her intro

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure lucina is a separate character and not an alt, the reason she doesn't have artwork or a trailer on her page is because she shares hers with robin, and maybe sakurai thought robin was a bigger deal, the only weird thing is the question mark in her intro
The question mark was probably because nobody expected her to get in over Chrom.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well the great news is, less Fire Emblem talk in Character Suggestion thread.
Also, gematsu got PAWNCHED to oblivion.
And faith in the unexpected has been restored a bit for me. Which is great after the 2014 E3 character reveals.

Now I'd really love to see a newcomer that doesn't belong to an already represented franchise in SSB. Mii didn't count. And Pacman was 3rd party. :p

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
not only 1 new sword character but 2 . Oh god. How terrible can this be ? Just give swords to everybody and let's call this game Soul Calibur 3D.

now seriously : i dislike it. The characters are cool and all but ... we're getting a little too much swordsmanship to smashbros and i don't like it at all.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
not only 1 new sword character but 2 . Oh god. How terrible can this be ? Just give swords to everybody and let's call this game Soul Calibur 2D.

now seriously : i dislike it. The characters are cool and all but ... we're getting a little too much swordsmanship to smashbros and i don't like it at all.
Fixed it there.

And yeah, I second the feeling. But to be fair, Robin's looks like it's almost there for show. Did you see how little the opponent budged when he slashed at him with it? It was almost a joke.

But it's about time for more unique weapons to be seen. Axes, Lances, Paintball guns, more yoyos, etc. :D

AgentGoldMuffin

Smash Rookie
NNID
AgentGoldMuffin
3DS FC
1822-1072-1487
I was satisfied with Marth and Ike. No problem with Robin, he looks cool but Lucina was not needed. She looks like a complete clone of Marth but faster and weaker. I'm just happy Falcon was confirmed today.

HazMatt

Smash Rookie
Any other MK fans feeling a little heat after most of the swordsman in the series have been confirmed and were duking it out this morning? I'm not saying MK won't get in, after all Halberd has been confirmed as a stage, but I'm just a little disappointed he wasn't announced with all the other sword users.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
So glad Chrom's not playable.
I would be happier about this reveal if Lucina didn't look like another Marth clone and if Robin didn't seem so weak and awful gameplay-wise. Captain Falcon makes up for everything ever though so who cares.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I was satisfied with Marth and Ike. No problem with Robin, he looks cool but Lucina was not needed. She looks like a complete clone of Marth but faster and weaker. I'm just happy Falcon was confirmed today.
funny, I always knew that it only took a few seconds of gameplay to know exactly what a character would be like. It's also kinda funny how people b@tch about this and have no problem with Ganon and Falcon and the space animals.

Lucina will be my main, no competition. Well, maybe co-main with Pikachu. :D

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Any other MK fans feeling a little heat after most of the swordsman in the series have been confirmed and were duking it out this morning? I'm not saying MK won't get in, after all Halberd has been confirmed as a stage, but I'm just a little disappointed he wasn't announced with all the other sword users.
Don't worry, MK will be revealed along with Bandana Waddle Dee. Not all hope is lost for our flying, spamming, sword bearer.

AgentGoldMuffin

Smash Rookie
NNID
AgentGoldMuffin
3DS FC
1822-1072-1487
funny, I always knew that it only took a few seconds of gameplay to know exactly what a character would be like. It's also kinda funny how people b@tch about this and have no problem with Ganon and Falcon and the space animals.

Lucina will be my main, no competition. Well, maybe co-main with Pikachu. :D
Based on the footage she looks like a clone. I would've preferred Chrom over her. I'm not a fan of Ganon either, but now since we have so many swordsman, I don't think we'll be seeing him use that sword but who knows.

Top Bottom