• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challengers! Fire Emblem's Robin and Lucina, Featuring Captain Falcon

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Gematsu is Deconfirmed. I doubt they took these pictures back when the 'leaked' Chrom and others rumor first surfaced and I'm pretty sure if they had seen these pictures, they'd have seen more as well and likely would have leaked Robin/Avatar as well or accidentally leaked other Final Smash or Assist Trophy characters as Playable Characters.
We can't be making excuses for Leaks just because we believed them.
Well, ok then. Chrom was probably considered playable, though. Leaks don't have to be %100 correct, though, and each character in the leak has been confirmed playable so-far except for Chrom, Shulk, and the Chorus Men, Chrom of course being confirmed non-playable, now.

I still think the leak is only false if the Chorus Men are not playable, and even then, the leak was mostly correct. Honestly, I don't really care if the leak was false or not. I just thought the idea of the Chorus Men and some other characters being playable was interesting.

Anyway, with Captain Falcon being revealed, does that mean he's a starter? He was a starter in Melee, along with Ness, making me think there's a pattern. Ness reveal before the game is released?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
She's 100% new challenger. The little feed that shows newcomers/veterans/events/dates/etc has her mentioned as a newcomer. I guess the web designers for the page couldn't set it up properly in their mock pages, so they went with the vet box instead.
I was just thinking if they make clone-y characters share slots, like a "character swap" rather than a costume swap. Dark Pit could be the same. Lucas. Falco. Not Ganondorf though because I think they wouldn't cross games... Maybe get Panther as another character for Wolf. Were any of Lucina's moves different? I'm not opposed to her being her own character, either way I expect her to be unlockable, heck, if they do make clones into character swaps, maybe we'd get Roy back too still. Just spit ballin'. I'm sure Lucina, Robin, and Chrom will be explained in the near future.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
For the 100th time Lucina is not a Marth ALT! Chrom is Robin's Final Smash, even the idea of her being an alt doesn't make any sense. They have given Lucina a newcomers profile on the Main Smash Website and yet people are still hanging onto her being a alt for Marth. After all of the Alt. Costumes revealed so far that hasn't been given a slot on the website, why would they start now? Why would they give an entire anime cinema to an alternate costume? THINK FOR A SECOND.

If anything she would be more of a Marth Clone than an Alternate Costume.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
The fact that Chrom appears in Robin's final smash leads me to believe that Lucina is just a Marth alt. It would make sense for him to preform Aether with her as they are father and daughter and also both get Aether as an ability in game. We didn't see her perform a Final Smash so I can't say for sure that Chrom won't have a part in her's, but given that every move we say is like Marth's I stand by her being a clone. Would have space on disk due to the changes being merely cosmetic and just require a few more sound bytes.
For the 100th time Lucina is not a Marth ALT! Chrom is Robin's Final Smash, even the idea of her being an alt doesn't make any sense. They have given Lucina a newcomers profile on the Main Smash Website and yet people are still hanging onto her being a alt for Marth. After all of the Alt. Costumes revealed so far that hasn't been given a slot on the website, why would they start now? Why would they give an entire anime cinema to an alternate costume? THINK FOR A SECOND.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
..................................................................................where's Ness?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Oh well, if Chrom is indeed just a Final Smash then....

.... That's a game changer for me.
Even if I still don't get Lucina's inclusion. She doesn't seem like it took so much time to develop anyway, so fine, I'll just give her a thumbs up.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I was just thinking if they make clone-y characters share slots, like a "character swap" rather than a costume swap. Dark Pit could be the same. Lucas. Falco. Not Ganondorf though because I think they wouldn't cross games... Maybe get Panther as another character for Wolf. Were any of Lucina's moves different? I'm not opposed to her being her own character, either way I expect her to be unlockable, heck, if they do make clones into character swaps, maybe we'd get Roy back too still. Just spit ballin'. I'm sure Lucina, Robin, and Chrom will be explained in the near future.
Well I guess not 100% since you literally see Lucina with a Dolphin Slash, Dancing Blade, NAir and UAir being similar to Marth,* so she might be a clone (maybe Toon Link by the looks of it). If they were to get in, Dark Pit/Panther might have newcomer-styled portrait on them. Otherwise, any previous entry into Smash will come back with the Veteran-styled portrait, regardless of clone or not (Charizard and Toon Link for example).

In fact, Lucina was copying Marth in FE:Awakening. Not sure why, but would explain the clone-like status she's getting from him.

Last edited:

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Goodbye Gematsu. I had a feeling Sakurai would strike you down. So Shulk and Choir have literally no chance now. Maybe we can get K Rool and Ridley still

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
HYPE HYPE HYPE!
God i love the introduction of Robin =D
I am confused about lucina though...

Also... FALCON!!! Best Char EU

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Really unimpressed with the two reveals. I mean, I felt it was practically obvious we'd be getting a Fire Emblem newcomer, but both Lucina and Robin, even over Chrom? I know this game wasn't made for me, and if I plan on enjoying it to its fullest, I have to suck some of it up, but all I really want is King K. Rool at this point. If Fire Emblem can seemingly procure four characters for a franchise that doesn't even make the top 12 of Nintendo's in terms of sales (and supposedly popularity), why can't DK, or even Metroid, assume at least three? Really hoping for that otherwise, or else this game will just have hampered most of my hype in itself for the character roster, likely. Well, at least Captain Falcon made his big return... I've been waiting for him, and he looks just as glorious as we last saw.

Also, to anyone who's going to automatically shun me for my post because I'm not excited like most of the rest are, this is my respectful opinion. I can't help it that I'm not at all a Fire Emblem fan, but am a long-time one for Donkey Kong and Metroid, and I just want to be thrilled on my part equally, if any, all the same.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
YES! Gemetsu leak disconfirmed. Now everyone can shut up about it. :awesome:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
It looks like Captain Falcon can cancel his neutral special before it hits.

EazyDI

Smash Apprentice
Also I think Lucina is an alternate costume for Marth. Her gameplay was exactly the same as Marth's.

Edit: Check the website she has her own page... I so confused right now so is she a clone? Also doesn't list her as a newcomer SO CONFUSED
What the hell are you talking about LOL

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Lucina looks to be the exact same thing I thought Dark Pit would be: Essentially a costume. Character slot or not, she's even more of a clone then Dr. Mario was.

Anyway, it was an okay reveal. Robin looks interesting, if gimmicky.

Gold and silver Captain Falcon alts > Robin and Lucina.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Nope. Live on. This solidifies it more than it does disprove.
I agree that it doesn't completely invalidate Gematsu, but it does technically mean that not every character on the list will be playable.

I just hope Shulk isn't an assist trophy and is playable. The chorusmen can be an assist trophy for all I care, but please Nintendo give us Shulk.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Goodbye Gematsu. I had a feeling Sakurai would strike you down. So Shulk and Choir have literally no chance now. Maybe we can get K Rool and Ridley still
Chorus Men still has a chance, maybe even just a Rhythm Heaven character in general. Sneaky Spirit is a Smash Run enemy.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
As much as I'm excited to see Capt. Falcon return, he was honestly a shoo-in. Anyone who thought he was cut from the game clearly wasn't thinking straight. I love how Robin is in the game, but I can't be the only one disappointed in Lucina, right? I feel that she's only in the game due to being unpredictable. No Chrom, really? He's arguably the main character of Fire Emblem: Awakening or at least the deuteragonist. Lucina is like, the triteragonist at BEST. That's like replacing Batman with Robin! It doesn't help that she's essentially a Marth clone. This is frankly the first character on the roster that I've been disappointed with so far.

On the flipside, Robin has an amazing fighting style, and his Final Smash combo with Chrom is a sight to behold.
Nope, you are not the only one. Captain Falcon and Robin were hype (and he is voiced by Jin Kisaragi, how is that not awesome) but Lucina was disappointing. If she were her own character it would be awesome, but the fact that she is a clone of Marth (the 2nd one because of Roy in Melee) begs the question why she is not a Marth alternate. Chrom would have been an awesome addition due to him being practically the face of Awakening and one of the most, if not the most, recognizable character in the game. Lucina just feels shoehorned just for the sake of Sakurai being unpredictable.

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
Lucina is indeed a newcomer, she is not a female version of a existing character (Like Male WFT, Female Villager or Female Robin), she is a different person. However, she is probably a Marth's alternate character and by consequent she will be selectable in the same slot as Marth and she won't have any differences with him besides her taunts and voice.

That would explain why she has the exact same moveset as Marth and also why she is featured at the smash bros page.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Proof of this email? Anyways I hope you know but a leak does not have to be 100% correct to be legit. Like Pokemon XY leaks they mixed up the typing of the Grass and Water starters final evolution, yet everything else they said was correct. Either way Gematsu is 9/12 still maybe even 10/12 either way he still is correct and you can't fight the fact he is correct.
Sal Romano, who spread news of the leak and was the one emailed, stated as such.

Regardless, if we're going by that logic, then many other leaks could have the benefit of the doubt too..fact is he said that Chrom was a playable character and he's not even remotely, so its dead as a doornail. We'll see what the leaker has to say for himself if he replies to Sal's email about it.

Well, ok then. Chrom was probably considered playable, though. Leaks don't have to be %100 correct, though, and each character in the leak has been confirmed playable so-far except for Chrom, Shulk, and the Chorus Men, Chrom of course being confirmed non-playable, now.

I still think the leak is only false if the Chorus Men are not playable, and even then, the leak was mostly correct. Honestly, I don't really care if the leak was false or not. I just thought the idea of the Chorus Men and some other characters being playable was interesting.

Anyway, with Captain Falcon being revealed, does that mean he's a starter? He was a starter in Melee, along with Ness, making me think there's a pattern. Ness reveal before the game is released?
Chrom might have been considered, but according to Sakurai the roster was Finalized 2 years ago, meaning that the leaker would have known for sure what role Chrom had by the time he revealed infomation to Gematsu.
As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to leaks about characters, it has to be 100%. Little things don't matter, but a leaker should know the status of a character's role in the game, and he's been wrong about other things as well, such as never mentioning Rosalina, Robin, or Lucina, saying the original leak characters were all to be revealed at E3 2013 when only Villager, MegaMan, and Wii Fit Trainer were, and saying that Shulk was to be revealed today.

As far as I'm concerned, he just had very, very good guesses.

Not really, their chances are as good as they've always been, which is fairly good for Shulk in particular. A leak being deconfirmed has no bearing on a characters chances of getting in, after all, several deconfirmed leaks had Lucina and Robin in them.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I admit I was kinda neutral towards Robin and seeing Chrom as a more likely newcomer but once again Sakurai works his magic and delivers a character who isn't simply "just another swordsman" from the Fire Emblem series. I am not even mad that Chrom is not playable, at least he is a part of Robin's Final Smash; Robin and Lucina were the better choices, especially Robin due to the amount of gameplay potential it has brought.
Some people may complain because their most wanted doesn't make it in but you can't go wrong when choosing characters that have limitless potential.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I agree that it doesn't completely invalidate Gematsu, but it does technically mean that not every character on the list will be playable.

I just hope Shulk isn't an assist trophy and is playable. The chorusmen can be an assist trophy for all I care, but please Nintendo give us Shulk.
I don't look at it that way. The "second" leak was information witheld since 2013 when Salromano wasn't sure it was even legitamate. My guess is the information is pretty much dated (considering Pokemon from X/Y is the flag that further proves this) and that Chrom was considered but was instead dropped for Lucina (which is who I wanted the most anyhow).

I think people jumping to the "deconfirmed" conclusion really show that they don't know how Game Development works and how ideas, concepts among other things can get scrapped and unfortunately, Chrom was one of the casualties.

The Gematsu leak predates E3 2013- just a nugget of info.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It must be noted that Lucina does not have a full 'newcomer' banner on the official site.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I'm uber happy about Robin, and it was obvious that Capt is back, but am I the only person that feels mixed about Lucina's inclusion?

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
With no regard to how I think she'll play, I'm looking forward to having Lucina in Smash, but I have a few reservations with Robin. While Robin was pretty much the main character in Awakening and had decent development, and I'm sure his/her moveset would be cool and more unique than any of the other FE characters, my problem comes from the fact that Robin is being put in Smash as a character when in Awakening he/she was the customizable player character. Robin is unique to each player and everyone's experience with Robin is different; characters like Chrom, Marth, and Ike are (relatively) set characters in the series while Robin was more fluid and personal. This uniqueness does not transfer well to Smash Bros. however, and even if they make Robin as customizable as in the original game, it wouldn't be the same.

Last edited:

MufN Man

Smash Cadet

I have put plenty of thought into this. All the other alternates to date have merely been costume switches or sex changes for their respective character. In this case the alternate is a whole different character. Given her importance to Awakening's storyline and connection to Chrom and the Avatar (Robin) it makes sense that she be a part of their reveal trailer. It would have been incredibly lame to just throw her at the end of Marth's trailer and say "Oh by the way you can switch to Lucina". Her part in Awakening also helps justify why she could potentially just be an alternate instead of a separate character (won't say much more on that end due to spoilers, but everyone should play Awakening. It's a great game)

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Amazed how many people are complaining about Lucina. How is having a character ever a bad thing. I'm just jelly that FireEmblem gets so much rep, but honestly Lucina looks the most interesting of the bunch. A faster lighter marth? yeeks!

I hope she has Roy as an alt costume :D But if she's just an alt Marth costume I'm ok with that too.

We're getting a fantastic roster of characters in smash4.... pretty crazy! And think of allll their custom special moves...

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
It must be noted that Lucina does not have a full 'newcomer' banner on the official site.
They probably just ran out of room, her character page has the 'newcomer' banner.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/lucina.html

For Chrom it is a little harder to tell since it looks like he initiates the Final Smash. However, since Robin was alongside him, I think Chrom is Robin's Final Smash.

As always, Douglas steals the show like a badass.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Amazed how many people are complaining about Lucina. How is having a character ever a bad thing. I'm just jelly that FireEmblem gets so much rep, but honestly Lucina looks the most interesting of the bunch. A faster lighter marth? yeeks!

I hope she has Roy as an alt costume :D But if she's just an alt Marth costume I'm ok with that too.

We're getting a fantastic roster of characters in smash4.... pretty crazy! And think of allll their custom special moves...
Objectively speaking, it did earn it. Fire Emblem Awakening is, what, the best selling FE game ever? I think it passed the 2 Million threshold in sales and that's incredible considering its performance here in the states. I don't think we'd get four representatives if the game didn't do so hot.

Top Bottom