• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challengers! Fire Emblem's Robin and Lucina, Featuring Captain Falcon

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Can't help but feel Lucina is the figurehead of the clones' hope now.

I'm not gonna lie, I would have preferred Robin to USE units instead of sword and magic. But it is what it is.

Now that I know Chrom is just Lucina's final smash, I'm liking the trailer so much more.
Especially the part where Captain Falcon beats the FE lords to a pulp. :)

Bloodronin

Smash Rookie
Going out on a limb here but I am gunna say crom is playable and heres why: In FE Awakening you had the buddy system where two characters could team up in a fight. If you played the game, you know what I am talking about. With this in mind, it would make sense for crom to be a part of Robins final smash. On the official smash site, there is artwork showing off robin and lucina with other playable smash characters with crom big and large at the top. THere is also a pic from game where it shows crom and robin and robin seems to be in the background. What if that buddy system idea was taken into smash? Meaning Robin and crom would be like how zelda and sheik were?

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726

Wow, my prediction the day before was actually pretty accurate.

Iconking

Smash Rookie
Lucina has the same height and Idle animation as Marth. Also her moveset appears to be exactly the same. just sayin'.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Maybe they saw Robin and thought it was Shulk? They have similar hair I guess.
That's giving Getmasu way too much slack. The leak is wrong on mutiple reasons from this one trailer alone. Things are fun again for characters be happy.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Everyone uses 'newcomer' on her banner as an argument for unique gameplay, which is unrelated. She is a new character, she is not a female Marth. As others mentioned this would be a let down if she was treated this way. The trailer situation was perfect to introduce her, however she looks similar to Marth in looks and as we saw, her moves are exactly the same, framewise?, hitstun?, damage wise?. The animations just differ. My conclusion: An alternate Marth skin, treated as a seperate character because she is not Marth. If we want to know if she's unique, we should compare frame data.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Going out on a limb here but I am gunna say crom is playable and heres why: In FE Awakening you had the buddy system where two characters could team up in a fight. If you played the game, you know what I am talking about. With this in mind, it would make sense for crom to be a part of Robins final smash. On the official smash site, there is artwork showing off robin and lucina with other playable smash characters with crom big and large at the top. THere is also a pic from game where it shows crom and robin and robin seems to be in the background. What if that buddy system idea was taken into smash? Meaning Robin and crom would be like how zelda and sheik were?
If your talking about a switch mechanic between the two that can't be because Sakurai has said one moveset per character in the match no switching in the middle of a match.

Also an idead I kinda like to think about the whole thing is that Chrom is passing his legacy to his child (Lucina) and his best friend/ally (Robin) to go in his place for Smash (kinda like how the poster is presented).

I think Sakurai made this no Chrom decision because Chrom looked to similar to the other two FE characters, plus wanted more females to add. (not how I think mind you but this is Sakurai). I'm glad to see Chrom is in the game in some regard and being in a final smash is still something.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Everyone uses 'newcomer' on her banner as an argument for unique gameplay, which is unrelated. She is a new character, she is not a female Marth. As others mentioned this would be a let down if she was treated this way. The trailer situation was perfect to introduce her, however she looks similar to Marth in looks and as we saw, her moves are exactly the same, framewise?, hitstun?, damage wise?. The animations just differ. My conclusion: An alternate Marth skin, treated as a seperate character because she is not Marth. If we want to know if she's unique, we should compare frame data.
This is the treatment I think Dark Pit would get. And all of the clones, evwn from melee, could get the same treatment. Except Ganondorf, he'll probably get decloned or replaced by Ganon, because him sharing a spot with Captain Falcon wouldn't fly...

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
I'm really hyped for Lucina. Toon Link proves that clones aren't going anywhere. So if we have to get clones I want them to be as creative and diverse as possible, and I think Lucina more then delivers on that front. I love clone characters as long as the source character would have the same or very similar moveset to the one they are borrowing in smash. In my opinion Characters like Lucina, Falco, and Toon Link are all pretty awesome, and wouldn't make much since to have widely divergent movesets from Marth, Fox, and Link, they just need unique taunts and voice clips.

Tophick

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tophick
3DS FC
3411-1419-6075
Hope you right

aleckermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
aleckermit
Really surprising that they decided to announce two additional Fire Emblem chatacters... either this leaves 0 more Fire Emblem players to be hidden in the game, or we're getting a 5th one? Why would they not have just announced one and left the other as a hidden? Weird that Lucina isn't labeled as a newcomer on the site too, maybe she's just a Marth alternate in some way.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I love having Lucina in Smash, but not Robin. Robin was the customizable avatar character with no distinct background or personality, so putting him/her in Smash is just weird and a bit of a waste. Should've just brought Roy instead.
OK you saying this tells me you did not play FE: Awakening and going off assumption, as Robin totally has a background and personality. You create a Robin sure but the story revolves around Robin and he plays important roles throughout the story. You even have dialogue scenes with characters where you have no input and Robin speaks for himself almost all the time defining his character. I recommend playing the game for yourself it really is just that great.

Illest_toon

Smash Cadet
The conversity between Lucina and Marth may just be like Mario and Doc. For example Mario's fsmash is longer then Doc. Just the little things, people still played as Mario and Doc. so what we all should be doing is getting hype for Robin because his moveset was amazing.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Really surprising that they decided to announce two additional Fire Emblem chatacters... either this leaves 0 more Fire Emblem players to be hidden in the game, or we're getting a 5th one? Why would they not have just announced one and left the other as a hidden? Weird that Lucina isn't labeled as a newcomer on the site too, maybe she's just a Marth alternate in some way.
Lucina is labeled as a newcomer on her page.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
The Gematsu "leak" is fake. Chrom isn't playable. However, Shulk still stands a chance, and I'm hyped for Robin and Captain Falcon (he better be a combo machine like in Melee). As for Lucina, meh. Just another Marth clone like Roy, except more bland. But I'm calling it right now. Lucina will end up being better than Marth.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
dang more fire emblem characters =0
To be honest I would have been fine with just having Robin (and Robin was obviously going to get in once Wii Fit, Villager & Mii Fighters got in the roster), Lucina is a direct clone of Marth (thereby we got our Roy back but in disguised as Lucina), however unlike Roy, Fire Emblem needed a female rep, although they had to go with Lucina (then again doesn't bother me, since Lucina is going to be even better than Marth, since he got nerfed).

And Sakurai said before revealing Toon Link that he wanted to cut down on the clones (with customization in the game clones should have been a thing in the past), but with Lucina in as a newcomer this means Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf all have a surefire shot to return.

Regardless these games roster is going to be massive (then again a clone or 2 wouldn't hurt the game, as long as Lucina doesn't have Critical Hit as her Final Smash).

Last edited:

RedRambo4

Smash Cadet
I never played the Fire Emblem games, but I'm glad Falcon is back.."Show Me Ya' Moves!"

KidKrimzon

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidKrimzon
As for Lucina, meh. Just another Marth clone like Roy, except more bland.
The only reason we can call Roy the clone is because he didn't continue as a veteran to Brawl. Roy being the international rep for FE at the time and Marth not having an English game at all was the purpose of them both being in melee.

KidKrimzon

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidKrimzon

I totally called it. My "prediction" was so spot on. Why am I not being called a leaker? Because my "prediction" was just a prediction.. Lemme link that better...

http://smashboards.com/threads/gene...iscussion-thread.354188/page-88#post-17052422
Anyone could've slapped a prediction and a roster together, there are endless forums and videos of people making predictions. You didn't make an anonymous leak a day before the game was even announced at E3, then have it confirmed next day.

WALUIGIOFFICIAL WAA

Smash Apprentice
26 Grimace Lane, Mushroom Kingdom, IMG EEK
While i don´t really care much for Fire Emblem characters (since i never played the games), Robin looks like he is going to be a cool character. He seems to play in a similar way to Palutena in regards to use a lot of magic attacks and projectiles, while using his sword for physical attacks. Looks nice.

Lucina is a "meh" character. She looks like she is going to play like a Marth clone (much like Roy), but with the standard clone difference (differences in physics, visually similar moves that work in slightly different ways). She is probably the least exciting reveal after Chrom´s Final Smash role. In terms of character design and gameplay, Roy failed in Melee because he was nothing but a inferior Marth with slight gimmicks that failed to distinguish him that much. I hope Lucina doesn´t follow that path.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
Lucina is a clone, I was hoping for Chrom!!!
The problem with Chrom is that he doesn't seem to stand out much in terms of uniqueness. I am pretty sure Sakurai was already aware of this and that's why he chose not to include him as a playable character. Yes, you could argue the same is true for Lucina, but even then, one would argue she's still a better choice for Smash, diversity wise (what with being a female sword-wielder and all).

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Roy failed in Melee because he was nothing but a inferior Marth with slight gimmicks that failed to distinguish him that much. I hope Lucina doesn´t follow that path.
The roles might be reversed this time around, Lucina appears to be far better than Marth is, although that might be the trailer (remember in the tournament, Marth was heavily nerfed, and is likely to stay nerfed till the final product).

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Okay, if Fire Emblem gets 4 representatives, there is no reason Pokémon, Zelda & Mario can't each have six.

Bring em on:
Mario's 6th: Bowser Jr. or E. Gadd
Zelda's 5th: Ganondorf
Zelda's 6th: Impa or Ghirahim
Pokémon's 5th: My little Jigglypuff
Pokémon's 6th: MEWTWO.

Make it happen Sakurai!

Oh, and don't cut Lucas and Snake gosh darnit!

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I don't think y'all realize what this means.

Robin is Grima, a dragon. Ridley is also a dragon.

Ridley confirmed.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
Im not thrilled that we now have 4 freaking FE reps in this game AND one is pretty much a Marth clone.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Goodbye Gematsu. I had a feeling Sakurai would strike you down. So Shulk and Choir have literally no chance now. Maybe we can get K Rool and Ridley still
I don't look at it that way. The "second" leak was information witheld since 2013 when Salromano wasn't sure it was even legitamate. My guess is the information is pretty much dated (considering Pokemon from X/Y is the flag that further proves this) and that Chrom was considered but was instead dropped for Lucina (which is who I wanted the most anyhow).

I think people jumping to the "deconfirmed" conclusion really show that they don't know how Game Development works and how ideas, concepts among other things can get scrapped and unfortunately, Chrom was one of the casualties.

The Gematsu leak predates E3 2013- just a nugget of info.
Doesn't matter, Sakurai stated before that the entire Roster was decided on 2 years ago, meaning one year before the Leaker gave the information to Sal Romano as well.

Considering I've spoken to several game developers and even been to E3 to talk to more, I can say I know fairly well how Game Development works.

Plus this is all assuming Sal Romano held back, which I don't think he would do since he had nothing to lose by posting the full list and he'd been in email contact with the leaker as well who said that Skulk would '100% be revealed' today..

Top Bottom