• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Challenger for Smash Bros Wii U/3DS To Be Announced July 14th

NNID
Majorasmask66
Dark pit wasnt that important to the series at all and his only significant detail is his color so changing his color would make him look like pit with an alternate color. plus pit already uses multiple weapons so do we need some one else to represent the different weapons? no.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Dark pit wasnt that important to the series at all and his only significant detail is his color so changing his color would make him look like pit with an alternate color. plus pit already uses multiple weapons so do we need some one else to represent the different weapons? no.
Yeah the most Dark Pit will be is an alternate color with a different voice.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Thinking purely in terms of business strategy and not necessarily what I want to see, it makes the most sense that Shulk is the one to be revealed.

-It would most logically be a follow-up advertisement for something revealed at E3, to help build hype for an upcoming game (point in case: Rosalina and Little Mac didn't receive this treatment, and neither of them have new games on the horizon).

-Following that logic, the franchises not already represented in Smash were Xenoblade, Bayonetta and Splatoon (am I missing one?)

-Splatoon girl is the least likely of the three. Smash has always only included characters from existing franchises. While it's possible to break from that tradition, it doesn't make business sense - nobody knows or relates well enough to Splatoon girl yet to want to get hyped up over a 3 minute reveal. There is currently no fan base to cater to.

-Of the three, I place Bayonetta in the middle. She doesn't fit Smash's theme at all (but as Snake has shown, that's not a reason for exclusion), but more importantly her trailer was the only one to include some adult language. It's really hard to see this very adult sex symbol placed in Smash. However, we did see her wearing Nintendo character costumes - specifically, costumes matching popular Smash Bros. characters. Was that a hint at something? (I doubt it, but hey, who knows?) I'm unaware of the size of Bayonetta's fan base, so I can't comment on it.

-That leaves Xenoblade X, which was arguably one of the most impressive trailers in Nintendo's lineup, a recent first-party acquisition, and carries the most fervent fan base of the three. Shulk is also a rather unique character with an interesting weapon - yeah, I hate seeing yet another swordsman (potentially two more if Chrom is one the way as well), but the Monado has some interesting tricks that could translate into some fun gameplay. However, it is worth noting that Shulk was not in the new Xenoblade X trailer.

Considering the way they're breaking tradition with this reveal, and video games have always been the tradition, it's clear to me that it is most definitely Goku being revealed. :upsidedown:
Since When has smash always included Characters from existing Franchises? Roy was in Melee before FE 6 came out so its not entirely out of possibilities

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Can anyone tell me when it's airing in Caracas, Venezuela? I'm terrible with time zones.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
-Splatoon girl is the least likely of the three. Smash has always only included characters from existing franchises. While it's possible to break from that tradition, it doesn't make business sense - nobody knows or relates well enough to Splatoon girl yet to want to get hyped up over a 3 minute reveal. There is currently no fan base to cater to.
She is indeed the least likely to get in as a newcomer, but if the game sells well enough to spawn sequels (it should since the fans gave it a warm reception, but it depends on what changes up until that game's release), she'll be a lock for the 5th Smash Bros (and would be called Inkling rather than Splatoon girl), the best bet for her is assist trophy (although it's probably way too late to be adding in any more assist trophies, unless she's the final assist trophy revealed which would be awesome, since she would shoot ink at players (either messing them up or pushing them off the edge, she would also be able to warp should the ink be on the ground).

RobbyJake16

Smash Rookie
Given all the 3rd party characters, and sakurais desire to include so many retro characters, I would NOT be surprised to see snake come back as the main event or even one of the veterans. A new character though, could it be... BIG BOSS! After his appearance in Snake Eater 3Ds, perhpaps? Now I'm certainly just conspicuating right now, and this is most improbable, but I would undoubtably crap my pants. Kojima also said he wants snake to return, who knows!

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
on a separate note which Alt Skins do you want to see for Veterans? A Captain Rainbow Skin for C.Falcon would be freaking amazing
And I'm feeling ambitious how about a Paper Mario Skin........
For Game And Watch?:secretkpop:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I want a non-gematsu character. A villain. KKRool, Ridley, Hades, Medusa, Ganon, Vaati, I'll even settle for Ghirahim or Bowser Jr at this point.. *shutters*

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Since When has smash always included Characters from existing Franchises? Roy was in Melee before FE 6 came out so its not entirely out of possibilities
My mistake! It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something from Melee :)

She is indeed the least likely to get in as a newcomer, but if the game sells well enough to spawn sequels (it should since the fans gave it a warm reception, but it depends on what changes up until that game's release), she'll be a lock for the 5th Smash Bros (and would be called Inkling rather than Splatoon girl), the best bet for her is assist trophy (although it's probably way too late to be adding in any more assist trophies, unless she's the final assist trophy revealed which would be awesome, since she would shoot ink at players (either messing them up or pushing them off the edge, she would also be able to warp should the ink be on the ground).
She looks like she could be a very interesting Smash character some day, and I'm super excited for her game! I could easily see her in the next iteration at least, as she seems to fit the theme Smash is going for.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Monday? Garfield doesn't like Mondays... Garfield confirmed.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I WANT MR. GAME & WATCH! AND GONONDORF!! AND SIMON BELMONT!!!
Oh, sorry.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Last time I checked, Fire Emblem was an existing franchise. He wasn't from an existing game but he was from an existing franchise.
But Splatoon is a existing Franchise now is it not? so the same as what happened to Roy could happen here just not very likely

NNID
Majorasmask66
But Splatoon is a existing Franchise now is it not? so the same as what happened to Roy could happen here just not very likely
sakurai probably didnt know about splatoon till a couple months before e3. the roster has been finalized for a bit now so while possible, with how recent splatoon was announced, which sakurai probably heard a bit before e3, it isnt going to happen.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
sakurai probably didnt know about splatoon till a couple months before e3. the roster has been finalized for a bit now so while possible, with how recent splatoon was announced, which sakurai probably heard a bit before e3, it isnt going to happen.
You can't say that the man is clearly Insane No one can predict him

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
You can't say that the man is clearly Insane No one can predict him
Sakurai confirmed for Smash. Monday, we will be watching a three-minute stream detailing all the reasons why Sakurai is the next Messiah.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
IS IT MONDAY YET
Wow, this GIF is perfect for the anticipation towards this particular Monday. XD It also embodies how I'll probably feel when we approach the actual release dates for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS editions of Super Smash Bros. 4 (when the release is mere days away).

I heard the Xeno series director responded to Sakurai's twitter post.
Yup. Look! https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda
Very interesting! It could just as well being a fellow developer showing support for Super Smash Bros. 4, but now it seems even more likely that Shulk will be a "new challenger approaching" on Monday!

My predictions for the Monday reveal are mainly Mewtwo, Ridley, and/or Shulk (mainly due to the aforementioned tweet).. Secondary predictions include Isaac of Golden Sun, King K. Rool, and/or Vaati; as for tertiary guesses, let's throw out Sora of Kingdom Hearts and/or Agumon of Digimon (to reflect the Bandai side of things)!

The "Looks like we're reaching the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos we've made." statement is a bit depressing... I figured it was inevitable, but still.. :(

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I still have many hopes for Dixie Kong and Mewtwo, but I believe there will be a reveal of a veteran rather than a newcomer... Ike was also called new challenger approaching like how it was written to smashbros.com

But yeah it sounds like a newcomer the way Sakurai wrote it... Here's hoping he won't spoil all the surprises before the launch.

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
I started writing a parody of 'Wake me up when September ends' to commemorate this occasion.

"E3 has gone too fast
Wanted it to always last
Wake me up when next Monday comes.

Sakurai posts on Miiverse
New challenger made my mind burst
Wake me up when next Monday comes. "

Someone help me complete this.
It will be majestic.

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
After carefully studying this thread I've found that by using the phrase "ridley" you can receive the immediate support from half the nintendo fan base

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
Pretty sure everybody knows at this point Shulk is confirmed. Thanks Gematsu ! :facepalm:

Soul.

It's probably going to be Shulk, but as said before, with the unpredictability, one of the other two characters could be revealed.

Earthbound_PKMN_Trainer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roboticsuperstar
3DS FC
0731-6040-6586
why is it probably shulk and not one of the other three or a character thats unannounced?
As someone that yearned for Shulk and his Monado to be in the next Smash even before the leak last year, I think it is mostly hype that is leading folks to think they will announce Shulk come Monday. Nothing too concrete to verify such though.

However a Monolith Soft Dev did retweet what Sakurai posted ... sort of like what the devs of Punch-Out did the day Little Mac joined the playable roster.

Also, some thinking I did, the fact that it is going to be on it's own live presentation leads me to think it will be Shulk because they will have a chance to fully introduce him to those who aren't too aware of him and the game he came from. Also the Monado was capable of some crazy stuff that I pray made it into smash, so there is a chance that will be in and need some explaining in this 3 minute video. I know, I know ... if one follows Smash 4 this closely, then chances are they know of Xenoblade ... but still.

Still hoping we do get a vet reveal along with him.

Top Bottom